• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This heavy sob was mine.

30hf84.jpg

Got it a few weeks before the 360 came out back in 2005. I wanted to get the full power of the console. It was a Toshiba 26" CRT, and it was like 100lbs! The thing could do 720p at best, but it did it's job for the 2 years I had it.

Sobriquet

This guy:

9wJg6DH.jpg

Sony KDL-40XBR2

Got it in 2006 I think, when both my wife and I were working at Sony. I remember we got like a $1000 discount and it was still damn near $2000. Still have it in the bedroom.

Olevia 27" in 2003. I'm trying to remember how much I paid. Maybe $700?

51JGZVHCKBL.jpg

Shit was gangster. Check out these specs:

27-inch HDTV-ready LCD TV; measures 34.5 x 21.9 x 4.25 inches (W x H x D)
XGA (1280 x 720) resolution, widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, 750:1 contrast ratio, and 170-degree viewing angle
3:2 cinema pulldown, 10-bit 3D comb filter
4 composite A/V, 1 S-video, 1 component, 1 VGA, 1 DVI
Two 15-watt removable speakers; subwoofer output

My first REAL HDTV was a Sony Bravia XBR3, 46" in 2006. I still use it today. Planning to upgrade next year but it has served me well; never had issues and I've run the shit out of that thing between games and TV, believe me.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
TxeQRHN.jpg

This guy, 40inch Samsung tv in 2007. Paid over 2,000$ for it. It had the wonderful 2 hdmi ports though which was great. Sadly that TV has white spots that appear on the screen while watching stuff, I still use it but mostly just as a bedroom TV.

Raistlin

I almost bought a Princeton Graphics 720p CRT, but decided against it due to going away for university. Just too big and heavy.

Ended up getting a Sony KDL-55A2000 SXRD a year or two after graduating. A little while before the PS3 launch if I recall? That would be the second time I bought a TV specifically for a console launch.

Reckoner

I still rock my Sony HD Ready TV that I bought a few weeks before the ps3. I feel bad of just upgrading and have a perfectly functional TV laying around unused.

Rizific

some off brand Akai 42" 720p plasma panel that cost $1000.
PDP4225M.jpg

still going strong since 2005. i remember GoW looking pretty great on it back then.

Raistlin

This heavy sob was mine.

30hf84.jpg

Got it a few weeks before the 360 came out back in 2005. I wanted to get the full power of the console. It was a Toshiba 26" CRT, and it was like 100lbs! The thing could do 720p at best, but it did it's job for the 2 years I had it.
Didn't do 720p. Only a few CRTs ever could. They were 1080i/540p

PT47WX49Ex4x3.jpg

Panasonic 47" RPTV I got in early 2002. It was the first thing I got with my employee discount at Best Buy. Even after the steep discount, it was about $1400, and I loved the thing until I replaced it with a Panasonic plasma in 2011. The only reason I upgraded was because I could not buy a new blu ray player with component output anymore. The thing was a beast, and was awesome for gaming because of the lack of input lag.

The downsides to it were the insane weight of having to move it and sometimes having to redo the convergence or calibration, but it always looked awesome after getting it calibrated professionally in 2003.

Bgamer90

Banned
Olevia 27" in 2003. I'm trying to remember how much I paid. Maybe $700?

51JGZVHCKBL.jpg

Haha, my cousin had this (it was his first HDTV too).

The design of the set was pretty nice (and surprisingly better than the models they released after it).

Here's my first HDTV; 23" Viewsonic LCD from 2004. My aunt got it for me as a present.:

1O0mWcS.jpg

Sony Grand Wega 50WE610

It only did 720p and 1080i, didn't have an HD tuner built in, and didn't support HDCP. It did at least have DVI input.

x15850WE610-f1.jpeg

Wag

I don't remember. I had some sort of Panasonic HD 30" production monitor back in 1999/2000. I was using it with Comcast's newest HD box.

I even had Comcast come over with a tech crew and they were instructing them how to set up HD on my TV. Ah those were the days.

Apt101

It was some 32" Sony, 1080i (remember those?). When I finally upgraded to a proper 120Hz 1080p LG LED it was revelatory. I watched blurays for like a week straight. Then I started getting into audio and like $2000 later I have a proper entertainment center.

51lUfeepMjL.jpg

Panasonic TH50PZ77U

And it's still going strong, though I did have to replace the DG board after a few years and a fateful thunderstorm.

DJ_Lae

37" Toshiba (37HL57 I think) in either 2006 or 2007. Wasn't top of the line at the time but HDTVs weren't cheap then.

Still working as a basement TV. Its only issue is that it has to be turned on before whatever console you want to use or the screen stays blue. Not as bright as it used to be either. But 360 and PS3 stuff looks great on it because it's only 720p, and it had a good scaler too so the Wii doesn't look bad either.

qcDj8ep.jpg

v1lla21

50 inch Samsung plasma. It's only 720p. We still have it in the living room. We've had it since it first came out years ago.

Samsung_Plasma_TV_Series_4_Series_5.jpg

ChristianTW

Neo Member

55 inch Sony Bravia XBR8

Beautiful, beautiful screen. Only downside was it was not a smart TV. After getting the XBR8 though, I will never be able to buy a cheaper HDTV again... (I upgraded to the 900B 4K TV)

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Not sure if 4:3 counts but I had a Sony Trinitron 32" of some sort in 2001 that displayed 1080i. It was pretty glorious at the time.

Bought a 50" plasma (pioneer) in 2004 which was 720p/1080i...ridiculously expensive at the time (like 4.5k). Friends thought we were just fringe and didn't see why people would want such a big tv mounted to their wall...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Panasonic TH-42PX77U 42-Inch 720p Plasma

Bought it in 2007. I replaced it in the living room last year with a Panasonic TC-P50S60 50-inch 1080p Plasma, but it's still going strong in the den.

Pioneer Kuro 42" 720p

41hA8oez4%2BL.jpg

Bought it in 2009 and I'm still using it.

I'm really looking forward to going 1080p or 4k with my next set, whenever that'll be, but I'm worried that whatever LCD/LED/OLED/whatever set I get won't have as good black levels :/

My first HDTV was a 32" Sony Bravia that I bought for my dorm room back in 2008. It ran me like $900 and had to work insane OT at Walmart to afford that damn thing, but I loved it. Still have it at my parent's house, but my 48" and 55" (that were both cheaper...) made it obsolete

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sony KV-32HV600 CRT in 2002.
It was an incredible TV for pre-360 consoles.

The first I paid with my own money was some cheap 32'' Dynex tv.

Needless to say that piece of garbage broke like 5 times within a time span and Best Buy allowed me to upgrade. I got a Samsung and never looked back.

FUCK DYNEX. RIGHT IN THE ASS BUTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom