• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Sony KDS-55A2000.

stUgIBW.jpg

To go from a 26" tube to a 55" 1080p set was amazing at the time. Rear projectors were fucking huge too and it cost me quite a lot in bulbs, but I loved it at the time.

a 19 inch insignia that's only 768p

i only bought it a couple years ago because my old 15 inch standard def tv from like 1993 finally broke

it's the only hdtv in our house and since my grandpa doesn't want to pay for HD service, i have to watch standard def on it (i usually just have it on in the background though)

eh, wii u games still look fine on it though, and so does HD videos on netflix :)

bill0527

Mitsubishi WS-48311. Bought in 2003. Widescreen Rear Projection behemoth. It only did 3 resolutions - 480i, 480p, and 1080i.

That TV still lives and functions well in my bro in laws basement.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mine was a 32" Samsung 720p LCD. Got it in June 2006. Still have it, but rarely use it these days.

This should be a really easy question to answer, but the saga of my first HDTV buying experience (during college) is a unique one. I got bad buyer's remorse and couldn't make up my mind.

1) I saw that Future Shop was having a sale for Thanksgiving and I'd wanted a TV for my newly constructed bedroom, so that I could game. The 32" Sharp Aquos looked nice (this was a 2006 model, so likely LC32D62U or something along those lines), so I bought it. However, when I got it home and had yet to open it, I decided it was too small.

2) I was talked into buying a floor model DLP TV at the Sony Store for a discount, because I was an idiot. They sent it on a truck with straps over it, and it arrived scratched so I sent it back. Man, am I glad that I did.

3) Ended up buying a Samsung 1080i/720p TV. It's 40" and my parents still use it in our family room.

31wreG245TL.jpg

However, after setting it up and using it for a while, I got buyer's remorse and wanted 1080p so I sold it to my parents and bought the TV I'm still using: a Sharp, 42" LC42D62U Aquos.

31MaWZ1qx-L.jpg

It makes a whirring noise during black screens and loading screens that are black, and the HDMI ports need to be reset when the sound cuts off from time to time, but it's okay for now. It's been a spectacular TV. And it still seems to have better sound than some of the modern TVs I've listened to, especially my friend's Samsung.

I may have been one of the first adopters here.
Some sort of RCA 4x3 HDTV.
Pretty much just watched PBS HDTV over the air.
It was glorious!!

Jafku

My first HDTV was a 26" Sony KDL-V26XBR1 given to me by my dad. Worked faithfully for 6 years. Still works too, it.s my grandmothers tv now. My first HDTV I personally purchased was a 40" Samsung UN40F5500. Still rocking.

TMC

30" Samsung CRT. It's native resolution was 1080i. The picture was pretty good, but it suffered from awful geometry problems with it being a CRT. I was able to mitigate it by messing around in the service menu. I got it for the Christmas after the PS3 launched back in 2006. It is currently functioning as the TV in the spare bedroom at my parent's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom