• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

the first had tv i got, i still have. the pioneer kuro ( the lcd not plasma ) KRL-32V
i got it at the beginning of 2009 i believe.

because i have a small room, i use it as my P.C. monitor as well as a regular T.V.
rg4vuMB.jpg

I'm still using the 46" 1800p Panasonic plasma TV that I bought in the beginning of 2009. Before that I was stuck using an old heavy 576i TV.

npa189

x15851HW40.jpeg

Sony 52 inch rear projection. 480i, 480p. and 1080i. We got it a week before the GCN/Xbox launch in 2001. I never had proper cables for that generation due to sheer ignorance, and it never displayed HD until the 360 came out, but boy did oblivion look amazing. The lack of 720p made owning a PS3 really suck because hardly anything scaled for that console. It was a great TV, replaced it with a Samsung DLP in 2008 that is still my primary TV.

nasax

A 32" Sharp Aquos that I paid $1,000 for ten years ago. It died on me a month ago. :( I was using it in the bedroom.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
First HDTV

First one was this 27" CRT from Panasonic. It's not awful but I had some issues with it. There was always an annoying chirping sound (very high pitch) that annoyed me while using and, while displaying 480i content, there was a very subtle band in the middle of the image (like original SNES systems, really). The picture in 480p, though, was quite nice.

Second one was a 27" Sony (27HS420), I think. It was also 4:3 as most of my content was but this one was capable of 720p input and generally produced a massively superior picture to the Panasonic. I still have this TV in storage.

Third one was a 42" Toshiba plasma which used Panasonic glass. I was introduced to plasma in Japan in 2005 and immediately went to buy one after returning to live in the US. This was 2006, mind you, so a 42" plasma cost me $3500 and it was a good deal. The picture was acceptable but PWM noise was SEVERE and dithering was everywhere with dark content. Black levels weren't great either. Plasma still had a ways to go with this display. On the other hand, it was built like a tank. My parents use this in a spare room at their house now. It's very VERY heavy, the frame is metal and a very thick, sturdy plastic. Also, the number of inputs and options on it far exceed modern flat panels when you get right down to it.

Fourth one was a 42" Pioneer plasma pre-Kuro. It was a lot better than the Tosh and produced less noise in darker areas. Dithering was minimal and picture was clean. Black level was worse than Toshiba, though, but the real problem was burn-in/IR - it was amazing how fast image retention could pop up. I also bought this in 2006 after disappointment with the Toshiba for $3500 as well.

Fifth was the original 50" 768p Kuro. When I saw the Kuro tech at CES I knew it was time to upgrade again in 2007 and, so I did. Picture quality was a HUGE HUGE improvement in every way. Black levels were much better, picture was cleaner, and it finally delivered an image that didn't make me long for a CRT. Of course, this was only the first gen Kuro and only 768p but it was solid.

In 2008, though, I upgraded to the second (and final) generation Kuro which now has an Elite board in it. Black level was actually much darker than original Kuro, IR was a non-issue, and general image quality is still among the best I've seen in any TV to date. The richness of the image is incredible and it's from 2008! It was after this point that low cost HDTVs started to become popular and features, build quality, and performance started dropping. I still use this one and it's the longest I've kept a TV. I will eventually upgrade when OLED becomes more established (or is about to disappear - whichever comes first). I appreciate that the Kuro is more like a monitor than a TV - it's not loaded with software that I don't need.

hiex_

Banned
In 2008 I'd gotten my first job, just got a PS3 and saved up $800 to buy this big ass thing.
KLV-32S400A.jpeg

32" Sony Bravia, I'm still using it haha.

Wedge7

32 inch Westinghouse 720p.

Ah man, still remember it to this day. At the time I just had a standard crt, prob like 20 inch or so in my room. Remember this Westinghouse was a random dell day of deals sale, prob like 400 or 500 dollars, and something in my head just said I gotta have this. The best part was when it arrived at the door, my mom got it and was so shocked and angry at this huge waste of money in her eyes. This must have been probably 8 years ago, or around that time. Funny thing was how huge it seemed when I brought it to my room, seemed to dwarf my old tv.

Quality seemed so awesome. Such a random memory, but the first thing I remember doing was hooking it up to my pc and watching the halo 3 video review from gamespot that I downloaded in HD, and exclaiming to my family "THis is Hd!"

Originally thought to myself I'm getting this for HD consoles, aka 360 and PS3, but in the end it served so much better as a media player connected to my PC that I watched tv shows/movies/anime etc on. I remember at the time I had just managed to get an Hdbits account as well, so I was so eager to actually see real "HD" content at the time. Everything seemed so exciting.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It barely counts, but I got a Phillips HDCRT. It does 480p and 1080i. Looks the same with either input. Mainly got it to have F-Zero GX in widescreen.

I got a Westinghouse 37inch LCD 1080p panel after that which served me well til (respectable for gaming even at 8ms) I replaced it with a 43 inch Panasonic plasma.

Pezking

Panasonic TH-42PV70E in 2007:

NE4XX8g.jpg

Paid about 1.100 Euros for it.

Had to exchange it in 2010 for a Sony KDL46EX500, because the glare was soooo bad. Made watching TV during daytime almost impossible.

An episode of Clone Wars looked like this:

zN3wcnu.jpg

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
1101rca.2.jpg

This big bitch right here. The RCA F38310. A 230 pound CRT that I started looking at when it was 3 thousand bucks, and which I finally sprang for when it was 1500 in 2002. It had an included stand that the set itself snapped into place on. I'm still using that stand for my newest set, a 70" Vizio 4k that was 1999 when I bought it in December. Incredibly, I think BOTH sets were worth what I paid for them...

15-inch polaroid T_T

81989.jpg

looking back, i cannot believe i played through mass effect on that thing. i sat down on the floor in front of it and everything.

tomjr

I bought a Sony Wega KF-50XBR800 LCD rear projection in the early 2000's. It output 720p or 1080i. It didn't have a digital tuner or HDMI.

LCD screens weren't much larger than 40" diagonal and cost $10,000.

entremet

This guy:

9wJg6DH.jpg

Sony KDL-40XBR2

Got it in 2006 I think, when both my wife and I were working at Sony. I remember we got like a $1000 discount and it was still damn near $2000. Still have it in the bedroom.
This was such a sexy TV. Loved the bezel design.

Always wanted one to pair for with my new PS3. Too pricey though.

tbro777

Neo Member
30in wide Crt
51NCHE4WAAL.jpg

115lbs of awesome

This was mine as well, got it like 7-8 years ago, replaced with a 50 Samsung plasma 3 years ago. Last week it finally died, power supply went out, wont turn on anymore. Though it did do that in the past, never touched it for like a year then all of a sudden it started working again, maybe it will come back to life again.

Dishwalla

Banned
Some cheap piece of crap that I got from the Navy Exchange. I was fresh out of boot camp in my A-school, and I needed a TV for gaming. It served it's purpose for a year or so, then I gave it away.

Samsung LE40R87. Didn't like the trailing blacks (SPVA panel) and sold it for a plasma which I liked even less.

Owned DLP projectors since then although I picked up a Sony 46W905a last year I don't use it for gaming.

panasonic_pt50dl54.jpg

Died last year, loved it. Got it in the early 2000s.

Had a Penny like this from 2004. One HDMI input, DVI, and component inputs aplenty. Had an SD card slot so people who came over could pop in their cards from cameras to view pics. 720p max, but it was great. Gave it to a friend in 2012 and it finally died late last year.

DiscoJer

Am I the only one that still doesn't have an HDTV?

I hooked my 360 up to my PC monitor (which is 24") and that was good enough.

AngryMoth

Can't find mine on google images but it was a 42" toshiba regza vx series.

Also my current tv! Bought it in 08 and still going strong. I was 16 at the time and it cost me every penny in my account. Glad I splashed for 1080p, lot of 720p only ones on sale at the time.

D-Stubbs

Not my picture but it's the same TV. I can't remember what the model is exactly called. Samsung SlimFit I think? But yeah was pretty decent TV back then.

hdtv-002.jpg

NekoFever

My first was...

vnsYVQll.jpg

27 inch Samsung back in 2006. Bought it just for the Xbox 360 and loved it.

This exact model. Everyone bought it because it came out around the time of the 360 and was pretty cheap and decent. Terrible by modern standards but still a nice introduction to 720p.

My Panasonic TH-42PZ80B 1080P plasma

th42pz80b.jpg

I got it when I got my PS3 so around 2007 and it's still going strong today.

Replaced with this one, which I too still have. I even recognise that photo from the HDTV Test review, since that's where I took my purchasing advice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
some philips widescreen LCD set - was 'HD ready' and I think only 28" - and didn't even have HDMI yet. And it was the most expensive TV I ever bought - think it was about £2k.

IbukiLordSA

Was a 32" Sansui can't even find a picture online for it.

It went up to 1080i and I didn't even run it in HD for probably the first 2 or 3 years I had it as I just didn't know it did it. It could only do it via component and didn't have hdmi ports which is why I never noticed, for like the 1st year of owning my PS3 I played in 480p until one day I fiddled around with it and boom my eyes say HD for the first time, I felt like a twit after that playing DMC4 and MGS4 before I realized this.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It was an Emerson 24"? TV. It was in 2005, and it was $600. That was super cheap back then.

A Sharp Aquos 22" or 23" (can't remember right now). Bought it in 2004 and paid something like $1100.00. A fool and their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom