• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your first HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbh

I've actually only had 2.

My family didn't want to buy one because "We don't see what's so special about them", "Movies look bad on them" (because they had mostly seen 4:3 content streteched to the 16:9 format).

So when I finished highschool and decided to work a year until I was sure about what I wanted to study, one of the first things I purchased was an HDTV for my family.... and of course they ended up loving it.

The first TV was a Samsung, don't really remember the model but it was pretty bad. I started noticing ghosting, the USB player sucked and it had notorious audio lag when playing videogames. But the worst part was some pretty terrible banding. I ended up returning it and decided to go for a slightly more expensive LG set.

The 32LE5500
32le5500-2gb0.jpg

And it's the one I'm still using.
It's pretty great IMO, I've had it for like 5 years without a single issue. Good amount of HDMI ports, USB player is fast and supports most video formats and other than a tiny bit of banding the picture quality is great. Mabye it's because I took the time to play around with the settings but to this day I still think it tends to look better than some more expensive and newer models that my friends own.

I would like to upgrade to something a bit bigger in the future, but for now I'm fine with this one

Macheezmo

Samsung LN52A550

515S%2BqosBIL.jpg

Me and my wife got this with the money we got at our wedding 6 years ago and it's still going strong. It was $1700 back in the day. Going from a 25" CRT with composite cables to 52" HDMI with our 360 was mind blowing.

That was my second. My first was:

Got it back in 2003. KV34HS510

l_kv34hs510.jpg

I had the 27in version of this Sony. Amazing tv but it weighed a ton. It was a real pain to wedge into the tv cubby above my fireplace in my old apartment. It was such a pain, I just gave it my moving guys when I moved out.

ss_lemonade

An LG Rear Projection TV that was 480p/1080i only. 480i/p sucked a lot because of ghosting. 1080i though was amazing and looked really great with something like the 360.

Arcadius

Banned
Phew, I had a Toshiba Regza, 42" around the time the PS3 released. So 2006~2007. It was awful at the time and I regret purchasing it. 1080i/720p, which was a shame since on it was advertised as Full HD.........

It was around the time I was getting into becoming the tech guru for my family, relatives and friends and I really disliked that purchase. Should have went with the Sony back then.

Randam

oP1G2AP.jpg

PHILIPS 32 PFL 9603 D Full HD Ambilight 2
from 2008

my frist and still only HD TV.
runs great and I wont buy a new one, till this one dies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000 in 2008. And that's the one I'm still rocking. It's got no smart shit or anything like that, and I guess 120/240 Hz would be nice for the increased motion clarity, but it's still nice. It's got very low input lag, rivaling that of CRTs, which is important to me.

This guy:

9wJg6DH.jpg

Sony KDL-40XBR2

Got it in 2006 I think, when both my wife and I were working at Sony. I remember we got like a $1000 discount and it was still damn near $2000. Still have it in the bedroom.
This was my first too. I got it at Circuit City on sale a couple of months prior to the PS3 launch.

Rival

Gold Member
Mine was a 32" sharp aquos that I bought from circuit city.(loved that store) I bought it Labor Day weekend 2005 and I paid something like $1500 for it.

A Sony KDL-50A2000 SXRD rear-projection set (1080p).

In fact, that's still what I'm using now. I'm on my 3rd bulb. I've tried replacing it with plasma and LCD (probably 8 different sets) but both are worse for various reasons. Sure, the SXRD has some overscan and geometry issues, but at least it doesn't buzz like a mofo during bright scenes (Plasma) or suffer from ugly DSE and uniformity problems (LCD).

Sordid

OSaBnzx.jpg

Not my picture but this was my first HDTV, the Hannspree XV 37". I got it for about £450 in 2007 which was really cheap for a brand new 'big' tv then. 768p with 2 HDMI ports, VGA & component :*) it ghosted a bit until it warmed up and it was pretty heavy for an LCD tv but it did the job!

andycapps

Sony KDS-A502000, 50" SXRD rear-projection TV. Is a great TV and it's still in use in my bedroom. Only replaced the lamp one time a couple years ago.

q7jW2mh.jpg

Elginer

eFvqNAO.jpg

Samsung CRT HDTV. Think was heavy as hell, front loaded weight. Had a damn nice picture but some serious overscan issues.

41KHD52R1RL.jpg

My parents bought this tv 9 years ago i was 12 at the time. My dad got rid of it last year because he got tried of buying lamps for it. Now he has a sony 4k tv

ChRoNiTe

ai9dVsk.jpg

Insignia 30 inch CRT I bought at Best Buy to go with my launch Xbox 360. Scrounged together gift cards I received over the holidays to purchase it.

Bazza

Samsung LE37R87BD in 2007 was my first, replaced it with a Panasonic Viera TX-P42V20B in 2011 which I am still using.

MrJames

Bought one of these in 2002. 53" CRT RPTV could handle 480i/480p and 1080i. Looked great until the convergence board blew in 2008.

s0cUGxS.jpg

Replaced it with this. Sony 60" A3000 SXRD RPTV.

Still have it but the optical block failure started about a year and a half ago so the picture has slowly turned green. It's like watching TV via the Matrix. I've held off on a replacement until 4K pricing improved. Definitely have to replace it this year though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Technically it was a 19" Samsung Syncmaster 1440x900 TV/Monitor, but my first proper HDTV was a Sony 32S3000 (720p). Good enough TV, but doesn't half heat up a room if it's been on for more than a few hours. I'd still be using it if my sister hadn't gone travelling and left a 40" 1080p (Toshiba, very slow and shit) that I wanted to use for comfy bed PC gaming.

Couleurs

My first was a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma in 2009. I don't know if it'll ever be possible to recreate the amazing feeling of going from a shitty SD tv to the Viera.

pOJ34Rz.jpg

It was a great tv and the image quality stayed awesome up until I sold it to a friend last summer since I didn't have room to take it with me when I moved. I read something a few months ago when I was hunting for a new TV that said Panasonic was getting out of the plasma market (I guess most companies are as well?), which is a shame since I really wanted another Panasonic but prices were absurd.

Ding II

Sampo SME-34WHD5

34-inch "flat screen" CRT. About 300 pounds. $3400. Much better specs than anything else around then at that price. Had to use an outboard scaler to handle non-widescreen content. This would have been 2001.

I'm happy to say that every (main room) TV I've purchased since then has been both cheaper and bigger than the one that came before it. My latest is a $700 projector shooting a 96" image.

kendrid

Banned
Mits WS55809. We purchased this for $2400 back in 2002.

pantalla-tv-55-mitsubishi-widescreen-ws-55809_edf7b247_3.jpg

We still use it because the damn thing won't die. I don't mind that we still have it since I have a theater room. If my wife wants to watch TV on this fuzzy 1080i screen burned POS she can. :)

I saw our TV at Goodwill for $.99 a week ago. A used barbie cost more than our TV.

kmfdmpig

Had a Penny like this from 2004. One HDMI input, DVI, and component inputs aplenty. Had an SD card slot so people who came over could pop in their cards from cameras to view pics. 720p max, but it was great. Gave it to a friend in 2012 and it finally died late last year.

I had the same set. It worked well, although I did eventually have to replace the bulb, which was expensive. Still, it lasted for like 7 years and I was able to sell it (for a little), so it worked out well.

br3wnor

26MF605W17.jpg

26" 720p LCD

Got this badboy in 2006 for $700ish? I worked at Sears at the time and one of the girls there talked me into opening a credit card, next thing I knew I was buying this thing. Brought it to college the next year and it was a pretty big hit in my friend's suite since it was one of the only flat screens around. It actually stayed in use until 2012 after I gave it to a friend and was still working when he ended up getting a new TV himself and I dunno what happened to it after that.

Played many an XBOX 360 and PS3 games on it. Was a great TV when I had it, laughable today for how much it cost for the size.

Tevious

I got a Samsung LN32A550 32-inch 1080p LCD HDTV when I bought my PS3 80GB MGS4 bundle. Works great and has 3 HDMI inputs. I still use it today.

dmr87

yAob.jpg

First one I bought myself, don't remember the date. I went into the store knowing that I wanted a good 1080p screen.

40" 1080p, about $1400. It's a nice TV, sister have it now and still works nicely.

kingwingin

txn2670whf.jpg

Samsung 26 inch 1080i crt, cost me like $800

I was so dissapointed when my ps3 would only output to 480p on it i bought a bravia in 2007.

Damn thing took 3 guys, and a few busted fingers to get it upstairs, but once we turned it on...the pain was worth it
I think I got it around the same time and same model. It is just the best. Even today playing gamecube with component cables or the original xbox games looks phenomenal yet even today.

TheContact

32 inch Samsung from best buy in 2005 that cost 2,000. Still have it today I use it in my bedroom. Still works great. 10 years old now

ckohler

36"
0JG12Au.jpg

Elephant is right. Got it 3 years ago for $70

This was my first one also. I still have it sitting unused in the other room because it's so heavy I'm too lazy to find a way to get rid of it. I swear it weighs over 300lbs! Still, it was kinda neat at the time. I think it was limited to 720p.

bobawesome

A dinky Vizio 22'' from Walmart in 2010. I bought it with my first paycheck for $300 and it was amazing. It blew away the TV I had before it. I've since upgraded but I'll never forget the little guy.

philips-30pw9110d-30-crt-tv-200-maryville-americanlisted_20822407.jpg

Philips 30" crt. IQ was actually pretty darn good for both sd and hd stuff, but it weighed about 15 tons. It took me 2 weeks to even give the thing away on craigslist last year. Bought it alongside my new 360 and Oblivion right when the game came out, and I will admit it was beyond glorious at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom