• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your favourite EARLY PS1 games?

Merlin

Banned
I mean the first year, before it really became really mainstream. The ones that are mostly forgotten today.

I always loved this game - Assault Rigs:

600965.jpg
assault_rigs__3.jpg

It was a sort of 3D virtual reality battle game with brilliant music and I think it actually ran at 60fps! Very atmospheric too.

There was also a cool tank game called Shellshock.

1419.jpg

i_shell3.jpg
11029ss_sm.jpg

jgkspsx

Twisted Metal.
Jumping Flash.
Warhawk.
Ridge Racer.
ESPN Extreme Games and Toshinden oi oi oi

Edit: At least I'm not the only one!

The Raiden Project and Philosoma.

The latter has obvious deficiencies as a 2D shooter, but is still fun (and varied) and was one of those high-production value showcases for early PS1 prerendered movies.

Vashu

I got the PSOne a few months after release, but my favorite games were

Toshinden
Tekken
Suikoden
Twisted Metal

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Anyone remember Konami's Broken Helix. What a crazy game that was. Bruce Campbell voice over. Time based events going on simultaneously on all floors. Multiple endings.

Come on no mention of Rayman yet??

120042.jpg

Hard as shit, but awesome, I was blown away by the 2d visuals at the time, I think this came out like the first or second week after PS was released. I really liked Warhawk, Ridge Racer, and Jumping Flash! too.

GDGF

Soothsayer
rusty said:
Rayman
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (that was pretty early, wasn't it?)

I forgot about that one! Truth be told, I never actually played it, but I really enjoyed watching my friends play it.

User 406

Banned
In the first year I had a ball with these games:

Battle Arena Toshinden
ESPN Extreme
X-COM: UFO Defense
Warhawk
Twisted Metal
Jumping Flash
Destruction Derby
Wipeout
Lemmings 3D
Zero Divide
Assault Rigs
Street Fighter Alpha (I've since learned better. :p )
Descent
Resident Evil
Battle Arena Toshinden 2
Darkstalkers
Fade to Black
Jumping Flash 2
Die Hard Trilogy (Technically this was released in the second year, but only by a few days and I wanted to list it because it's so awesome. :p )

Some great classic stuff.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
A friend and myself were convinced we liked Loaded that weekend we rented it.

Project Overkill wasn't too bad for a console-fied Crusader ripoff.

Raiden Project was the best launch game not called Ridge Racer.

jgkspsx

Sea Manky said:
X-COM: UFO Defense
Die Hard Trilogy (Technically this was released in the second year, but only by a few days and I wanted to list it because it's so awesome. :p )
Indeedy.

What should count as early, though? I did launch + 1-2 months. First six months?

Amadeus

002pk.jpg

it was one of the very first games i've played on the japanese playstation and i remember it being very funny and i was amazed by the graphics (back in these days ;) ).

btw. does anybody know if polyphony will make a sequel on the PS3 to this?

Amadeus said:
002pk.jpg

it was one of the very first games i've played on the japanese playstation and i remember it being very funny and i was amazed by the graphics (back in these days ;) ).

btw. does anybody know if polyphony will make a sequel on the PS3 to this?

You've probably got a better shot of a PSP version than a PS3 one.

Jiggy

Wild ARMs. If only battles had been sped up by quite a bit, I'd probably still own it today... Excellent soundtrack and good Zelda-style dungeons.

EARLY PS1?

My favorites are Gex, Rayman, Darkstalkers, Jumping Flash, Street Fighter Alpha, and Raiden Project. Just about everything else from 95-96 was experimental, ugly, 3D rubbish. Though, I'm sure Japan was loaded with cool games in 1994 and '95.

Teddman

Battle Arena Toshinden

However it's aged, it was awesome looking at the time and pick up and play fun during college parties.

Gek54

RidgeRacer, Warhawk and NFS made it near impossible to resist the PSX at the time but my Nintendrone loyalty held strong until GT. I still get sad when thinking of all the fun I could have had if I got a PSX earlier on.

Benedict

The first games I bought were Wipeout and Jumping Flash.

Otherwise:

Johnny Bazookatone.
Thunderhawk
Rapid Reload (never finished the game...) AKA Gunner's Heaven
Total NBA '96 (amazing)
Warhawk
Alien Trilogy
Disruptor
Street Racer
Actua Golf
Micro Machines 3D
Fade to Black
MK 3
Die Hard Trilogy
Supersonic Racers
Crash Bandicoot
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Extreme Games
Defcon 5 (One of the best intros ever)
Xcom UFO
Xcom Terror from the deep (released quite quickly after first Xcom.
Bust'a'Move 2

Top Bottom