• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your favourite EARLY PS1 games?

Dead

well not really...yet
Loaded
Alien Trilogy
Destruction Derby
Wipeout
Toshinden
Tekken
Twisted Metal
Jumping Flash
Rayman

Man, great memories. Also I used to stare at that T-Rex demo so much, I was totally amazed by it!

Sega

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said again and again, but I'll add some noteworthy games.

Gunners Heaven (not near Gunstar Heroes, but a good early PSX game)
Phalanx (yeah, it was out for SNES, but the PSX version had nicer music. Was a slight upgrade. I wasn't a big fan of PSX back then, but I ended up playing this game a decent amount for the music. Ah, and I don't know if this counts, as it was a hidden game in Zero Divide.)
Project: Horned Owl (used Masumune Shirow character/robot designs. I played it because it reminded me of the arcade games Steel Gunner 1 and 2, which I loved.)
Hermie Hopperhead (not the best platformer, but decent for the time)

I didn't really like Playstation back then though. I don't think the early games were that good, to this day. It's totally understandable though. 3D was brand new. Most of the developers were just trying to figure it out. And the 2D stuff didn't really have anything new. Just prettier graphics. There were many gems to come in 2 or 3 years after launch though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Arc the Lad 1 and 2, the Japanese releases were some of the first PSOne games out there - even though I didn't play them till their eventual US release in the Arc the Lad Collection (I think I got this Xmas 2002).

MoxManiac

Toshinden, Jumping Flash, King's Field, Twisted Metal.

My very first PSX game was Street Fighter Alpha. I played that to death, loved it. In retrospect it's one of the worst SF's, but it was amazing to have at home at the time.

Does this count?

tekken2.jpg

Probably not, but it's as early as I'll go.

DCharlie

Banned
i played wipeout, tekken, and loaded to death.

Wipeout amazed me so much.

I _HATED_ Warhawk with a passion - i still don't understand why it gets so much praise.

_Angelus_

Banned
I spent so many nights with WarHawk,god that game was really great. The rest are blurs,but I remember enjoying the very first Toshinden game,I loved how at times the camera would go from your basic 2D view to a reall nice 3D angle that didn't interfere with the action. Alot of people later called the series button mashing time wasters but the hell with it-I enjoyed them alot in those days.

Twix

- Ridge Racer
- Wipeout 2097
- Jumping Flash
- Pandemonium
- Die Hard Trilogy
- Tekken
-Tomb Raider

Need for Speed
Kings Field 1 & 2 (US versions)
Destruction Derby
Twisted Metal

and.....

psx15hd.jpg

Look at the classics that I traded in long ago..... Odd that I still have the receipt...

psx37ls.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Outlaw Pro Mod said:
Look at the classics that I traded in long ago..... Odd that I still have the receipt...

psx37ls.jpg

59.99... why couldn't we leave that behind?

Top Bottom