• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would be the best thing for Respawn to do with Titanfall 2 right now?

Delay it. You had a hit, don't fuck this up! Ya'll brought us MW2, we know you got dis shit. Take your time, do it right, and everyone wins.

Even before all this feedback, I think it's made sense to delay it to early next year. September or maaayyybe up to mid October were the last viable time slots to release this year considering the competition.

Honestly, delay it until the first few months of next year. This fall is way too packed and it makes no sense to go up against EA's other big shooter, BF1. Delay it a few months, and use the player feedback to make it a better game.

Continue as planned? Titanfall 2 might not be made for us, but it's made for someone and this version of Titanfall seems like what they want to make. Hyperbole thy name is GAF.

Nah man stop saying that. Like I said writing it off as hyperbole isn't a valid point. There are legitimate problems with this entry and alienating your fanbase who you've built up an excellent rapport with on Titanfall and who you're meant to cater to is going to lead to some backlash. I'm sure that's not too crazy to understand.

Honestly, delay it until the first few months of next year. This fall is way too packed and it makes no sense to go up against EA's other big shooter, BF1. Delay it a few months, and use the player feedback to make it a better game.
This. Seems like a win/win to me. EA don't need to sell two of their big FPS games at the same time, and TF2 clearly needs more work. Keep the beta rolling though, and give the players more of the original TF game play the core fans want. I'm not one of those core fans btw. Played the beta of TF1 but didn't buy it. The core playerbase are too important to alienate though.

Morinaga

My thoughts:

Dont delay - its going to be ready for Xmas so that will introduce the bigger player base than waiting till next year. Regardless of going up against COD/BF it will still sell more.

I played the game, it was fine. Excellent in fact. And most stuff I have read about it, is internet hyperbole. Functionally it works and balance no-one is going to understand about until the full game is released anyway.

What I find amazing in all this is that of all people, Former COD devs should be the first people to realise that dumbing down your shooter in a bid to scoop up some of the COD audience is going to lead to a divided playebase at best and a mass exodus of players within the first 2 weeks at worst.

Even if they pulled it off perfectly, their release timing just mean they are going to be blown out by COD anyway.

Crazy decisions all around. Let's see if they work out for them.

tumblr-o9vg2agghw1u1ljrzo3-540_orig.gif

tilomite!

I'd be ok with a delay. I know the economics of the holiday season will dictate it being released on time, but it has huge competition for those FPS dollars.

Papacheeks

Banned
My thoughts:

Dont delay - its going to be ready for Xmas so that will introduce the bigger player base than waiting till next year. Regardless of going up against COD/BF it will still sell more.

I played the game, it was fine. Excellent in fact. And most stuff I have read about it, is internet hyperbole. Functionally it works and balance no-one is going to understand about until the full game is released anyway.

Please don't be serious?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My opinion: Ignore the internet, and do what they think's right.

Sorry, but internet talk is cheap and has a wildly inflated sense of its own self-worth. People with the biggest axes to grind shout the loudest, but ultimately are no more important than any other customer.

Most importantly, change shouldn't be feared. Better to try something different and fail than be strapped into a creative strait-jacket by overly-reactionary fans.

There's a bigger potential audience at stake here than those that played the first iteration; if they can't switch stuff up now, they never will be able to.

_SAKY_

Sorry, but internet talk is cheap and has a wildly inflated sense of its own self-worth. People with the biggest axes to grind shout the loudest, but ultimately are no more important than any other customer.

Most importantly, changed shouldn't be feared. Better to try something different and fail than be strapped into a creative strait-jacket by overly-reactionary fans.

Boom.

pompidu

Kinda feel bad for Respawn employees. This game is gonna get slaughtered in sales. COD and battlefield gonna rip this game a new one.

If they plan on sticking with the new gameplay, they should offer the first game for ps4 owners. TF1 is pretty fun.

Honestly, it's the core of the game that's bad, and I don't think a delay is going to fix it. Unless they're delaying it for like 2 years.

Just put it out, see what you can make off of it, and make the third one more true to the original, if there's even a chance to make one. This game just feels like since they knew it would be available to a mass audience... and they made it for a mass audience. It's a bummer, but this is the game they made.

I think I understand why they threw this one to the wolves, but surprisingly, I've heard a lot of good impressions from my friends about the open beta.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Exactly this, everybody needs to stop complaining.
Because it's literally not TitanFall. They stripped the game of the vote mechanics and simplified it for a wider audience. It's incredibly disappointing for anyone who played the first one.

Most importantly, change shouldn't be feared. Better to try something different and fail than be strapped into a creative strait-jacket by overly-reactionary fans.

There's a bigger potential audience at stake here than those that played the first iteration; if they can't switch stuff up now, they never will be able to.
Everyone loved the first one, except it had no content. It's not change that is feared. The first game was one of the complete gameplay experiences I have ever played and in the sequel you simply cannot do the core mechanics you could do in the first, and it is worse because of it.

rackham

Banned
Delay game.

Throw out the maps they've shown us. Create new maps with swiss cheese design ala TF1. Bring the verticality back.

Delay game.

Make aesthetic customization options for pilots AND titans.

delay game.

more titans.

more customization.

grappling hook for everyone.

pompidu

Run a beta, have a user questioner and delay the game to make the proper changes.

Has a game ever been delayed because of user feedback from a beta? Cannot think of a single instance where this has happened.

I think it's irrelevant now anyway, the game designer specifically implemented the changes people didn't like, I don't see them backtracking on that.

It really needs to get delayed to next year. Its going to get slaughtered in its current release date.
The problem is that it's not just the release date that's going to get this game killed.

I think EA understands how the release scheduling works. Which makes me believe there's a reason they're releasing this when they're releasing it.

And there's only one reason you would release something under the cover of other huge bangers...

I guess we'll see when reviews hit. Doesn't feel like Titanfall to me at all, from the ground up. It would take a massive delay to rework most of this game, I would think.

HariKari

Delay the game until the latest possible (end of the fiscal year for EA, I'm guessing)

Unfuck it

More content

Port over TF1 maps and modes

How to lose sales year over year: the post.

Delay game.

Throw out the maps they've shown us. Create new maps with swiss cheese design ala TF1. Bring the verticality back.

Delay game.

Make aesthetic customization options for pilots AND titans.

delay game.

more titans.

more customization.

grappling hook for everyone.
There were only two maps, nobody plays any game and loves every map these maps do not mean all maps suck.

rackham

Banned
There were only two maps, nobody plays any game and loves every map these maps do not mean all maps suck.

The maps they've shown us emphasize their new design philosophy which is shit. They're open maps with lines of sight everywhere. They're fucking garbage. I hate them. They should be scrapped. There's no verticality in them.

There were maps in TF1 I didn't love but they weren't terrible. These maps are the definition of terrible.

Hell, they even kind of look procedurally generated. They don't really make sense as to what they are. It looks like no effort went into them. No creativity.

The problem is that it's not just the release date that's going to get this game killed.

I think EA understands how the release scheduling works. Which makes me believe there's a reason they're releasing this when they're releasing it.

And there's only one reason you would release something under the cover of other huge bangers...

I guess we'll see when reviews hit. Doesn't feel like Titanfall to me at all, from the ground up. It would take a massive delay to rework most of this game, I would think.
Watch. If TF2 flops we'll see a headline sometime next year saying "EA purchases controlling stake in Respawn Entertainment"

Chris1

But they aren't going to put their worst 2 maps in a beta.

And both maps they've shown us, aswell as the third next week, look far worse than anything to offer in Titanfall 1.

Again I'm seeing too many posts trying to brush this off as internet hyperbole as if I never had addressed that point in the OP. Smh. It's also not the only perspective I'm challenging which those people seem to be conveniently ignoring.

My thoughts:

Ok so what about the other point? You don't think the timeframe is a thing to be concerned about either? The OP isn't just about what you wrote btw.

Jawmuncher

Just release as is and make Titanfall 3 the perfect combination of the two. I fully expect Titanfall 2 to be the Halo 4 of the series and Titanfall 3 to be the Halo 5. Strictly speaking MP.

Alienous

The internet should be ignored, especially when it fell in love with Titanfall 1 ...

oh, wait.

Phear

My optinion:
Just give me the full version, i liked the tech test more than TF1.

On Topic:
There is no need to delay it, they can add modes post-launch, where titans are earned through time instead of playing good, if people want that. Also, they can design maps which enhance the options of wallrunning and traversal movement and add them post launch, but they need to do it for free. There is no need to delay the game or change anything it's just missing some things.

I guess, map design is the key point here. Letting go of AI and reducing the speed just a little is enough to iron out the chaos they saw in TF1. They just need to tighten the maps.

Edit: If it was just TF1 with more content, people would've been disappointed too. Trying out new stuff is okay. Sad thing is, many people who could've liked TF2 are now considering not buying, because of the shitstorm.

Yup I agree.

So you and piratethingy are just going to downplay the criticisms to "crazy people" as if they're similar situations? :p

I mean come on guys, it's reductive to say that. There's some legit critique and even if you want to dismiss it as hyperbole, how about the release window for the game? Isn't that a cause for concern either?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How to lose sales year over year: the post.

Maybe so, maybe not, but better than being shackled by the dictates of an unaccountable and volatile internet community that is motivated by pure self-interest.

Lets be honest, would you happily accept any feature change that resulted in more sales if you personally found it disagreeable? I really don't think so.

rmanthorp

Delay

• Titans BACK on timer (with kills making it faster) and more frequent overall
  • TTK higher on both Pilots and Titans
  • Titans more powerful overall
  • Confirm Attrition and focus more on AI in modes
  • Polish up those maps and hope that you didn't put their best ones in the techtest
  • Make movements feel closer to TF1

HariKari

Maybe so, maybe not, but better than being shackled by the dictates of an unaccountable and volatile internet community that is motivated by pure self-interest.

Lets be honest, would you happily accept any feature change that resulted in more sales if you personally found it disagreeable? I really don't think so.

I would find it justifiable. What they're currently doing isn't, because you can see the negative reception a mile off. Making it more like COD actually gives it less of an advantage over competitors... like COD. Titanfall needs to be unique in a crowded shooter market. What they're doing so far isn't unique at all, and is less palatable than the original.

I don't know if you know this, but the loud minority is actually often times representative of the larger group. Most customers will never give you feedback of any sort. If they have a bad experience, they simply won't come back, or in this case, buy your next game. People bounced off of TF1 due to a lack of content, so the devs figured the answer was... tweak the core gameplay loop? That's not what people want. People found the original game outrageously fun - for awhile. There wasn't enough maps, modes, weapons etc... Compared to industry standard shooters, it was pretty bare bones.

Taking a risk now is problematic because TF2 is launching in a crowded market (with IW directly competing for the same players) and is being received poorly by the community. These tests are supposed to generate hype and positive word of mouth. They're currently doing the opposite. Ignoring this zig when you expected a zag is a dangerous game. You can fall right off a cliff and poison the well damn good if you aren't careful. Sticking to your design guns is admirable but this game is not going to suddenly double in sales because they slowed it down, jacked the TTK, and made Titans less attainable. There are some genuinely stupid decisions going on with this game, and some warped thinking behind them. Then there's the crap out of left field that isn't necessary, like not bothering with a PC test. Do you have faith in your game or not?

At this point, I don't. I don't see how this shift gets them more sales.

Phear

And seriously, the worst thing from TF1 was fixed: Matchmaking. I had a blast in the Tech Test, just because i went from game to game with seemingly no load or matchmaking times. That was the one thing that absolutely killed TF1 for me.

Top Bottom