• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's powering the Wii 2? Detective-gaf to the rescue...

Feep said:
I don't like this. DetectiveGAF may be jeopardizing the original poster's job. This is some serious stuff, and there is no true anonymity on this (or any) forum. He did post that stuff, but there's no reason to draw attention to it like this.

That's a good point.

Opus Angelorum said:
He disclosed it himself, fair game I say.

Regardless. There's no reason to jeopardize the guys job over this. Lots of gaffers have seen the relevant information already. And for those that haven't, suffice it to say....

The Wii 2 will likely be powered by the AMD Trinity or Komodo.
-----------

At the request of several posters, to elaborate...

Someone revealed a while ago that their company was comissioned to make the cpu for a next gen console to be released fall 2012 and some other details.

Detective gaf figured out that someone works for AMD.

Based on the info they posted, it seems very likely they were talking about the Wii 2 and it will release fall 2012 powered by the AMD Trinity (or possibly Krishna or Komodo)

Reserved for speculation:

I hope for Nintendo's sake that this information is accurate, and the information IGN is reporting, that the dev kits are using a 4 year old AMD gpu with 512mbs of ram, is either bogus or not reflective of the final hardware.

Because if Nintendo really is planning to use a GPU made back in 2008 and one with only 512-1gb or ram, they can kiss multiplatform support goodbye this upcoming generation once again.

Epic, Capcom, Valve, Crytek and others are already working on next gen multiplatform engines that are designed to allow for easy porting between PC, Xbox 720 and PS4 back and forth, without too much effort. All Nintendo needs to do is communicate with Epic, Crytek, Valve etc and find out what they are targeting their nextgen engines towards and come out with something that meets the minimum requirements in terms of processing power. I guarentee you that Sony and Microsoft and AMD and Nvidia are already collaboratively with these studios and designing their next gen hardware with them in mind, while Nintendo if IGN's specs are accurate may well be shutting them out of the process entirely the way they did with the Wii.

If Nintendo cared about getting those killer multiplatform titles, they would put out a console that is actually close to their competitors in power level. Otherwise, sans one or two exceptions, they are actively ensuring they get shovelware and not much else from 3rd party devs.

Also... 6" 1080p screen for a controller!?

What are the odds that the Wii 2 is a VR headset (Virtua Boy 2). It's the only explanation that makes sense as to why a controller would need a whopping 6" 1080p screen.

It would certainly explain where Nintendo's massive multibillion dollar annual R&D budget has been going towards for the past half a decade.

Kevin said:
Maybe Nintendo really has been secretly developing Nintendo ON and the old leaked video was indeed a concept video to gauge the public's reaction. I am just joking here.

Sony has a VR set in development that was shown at CES back in January. It's a prototype but I'm hoping some variation of that will come to the market at some point.

sony_oled_vr_goggles_make_you_look_like_geordi_la_forge_from_star_trek.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27206359&postcount=330

The M.O.B

I'll just leave this Brain_Stew quote here.

brain_stew said:
What I said is absolutely correct, the 4870 codename was RV770, the 4890 codename was RV790 etc. R700 only ever referred to the 4870x2 and if that's the part that's currently in dev kits then this machine will eventually be capable of running Epic's next generation demo in HD.

apana

Wii 2 is a horcrux, Yamauchi split his soul in order to power the console and make himself immortal.

Forkball

Pie Lord said:
So in other words... four Gamecubes?
That's like eight N64s.

Really interesting strategy from Nintendo. Now let's see if they have the games to back it up at launch...

Xater

Can I just say that it would be crazy for Sony and MS to wait for 2013? I really don't think either will give Nintendo that kind of headstart.

Orayn

I can't quite see them using anything made on the 28nm process. Unless we are confirmed for a holiday 2012 release and 28nm surfaces in early 2012, the timeline just doesn't work.

Orayn said:
I can't quite see them using anything made on the 28nm process. Unless we are confirmed for a holiday 2012 release and 28nm surfaces in early 2012, the timeline just doesn't work.

I think holiday 2012 is the most likely launch window for the Wii 2. And the Trinity is built on 32nm, so I hope you're right and this means the Wii will be using Trinity.

However, yes, AMD should have 28nm by early 2012. Intel is releasing their 22nm Ivy Bridge platform early 2012 in mass. AMD can't be that far behind that they can't even release a 28nm chip by late 2012.

StuBurns

Banned
Xater said:
Can I just say that it would be crazy for Sony and MS to wait for 2013? I really don't think either will give Nintendo that kind of headstart.
Why does it matter? If Nintendo are pricing themselves into the PS480 bracket, and launch a year early, their tech will be weaker sooner right? And they aren't going to be selling out at a high cost like the Wii was probably. Going first doesn't mean much, SNES didn't, PS1 didn't (although that was like a month), PS2 didn't, Wii didn't.

kswiston

StuBurns said:
Why does it matter? If Nintendo are pricing themselves into the PS480 bracket, and launch a year early, their tech will be weaker sooner right? And they aren't going to be selling out at a high cost like the Wii was probably. Going first doesn't mean anything, SNES didn't, PS1 didn't (although that was like a month), PS2 didn't, Wii didn't.

I think there are a lot of people still convinced that the PS2 largely won because it was on the market a year before Xbox/Gamecube.

Of course, that is silly and ignores the other instances you bring up.

Dreamcast started that generation, not the PS2.

In fact, the console that launched first hasn't wound up in first place in over two decades.

The Xbox 360 started this gen off, and by all indications it will wind up in third/last place by the end of this gen.

pyros

According to some "industry experts" in gaf, the demand for duct tapes are going up, as close to insider information as you're ever gonna get, buy

next update coming soon, key word dust

Datschge

How possible is this combined with an additional PowerPC co-processor? Otherwise there won't be any hardware based backward compatibility (as all current consoles use PowerPC).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Runs on wishes, smiles and tears of joy the first three years, and then crushed dreams until the next generation.

Feep

Banned
I don't like this. DetectiveGAF may be jeopardizing the original poster's job. This is some serious stuff, and there is no true anonymity on this (or any) forum. He did post that stuff, but there's no reason to draw attention to it like this.

leroidys

Feep said:

Xater

StuBurns said:
Why does it matter? If Nintendo are pricing themselves into the PS480 bracket, and launch a year early, their tech will be weaker sooner right? And they aren't going to be selling out at a high cost like the Wii was probably. Going first doesn't mean much, SNES didn't, PS1 didn't (although that was like a month), PS2 didn't, Wii didn't.

It does still matter to those companies. I really don't think they want a better/newer system out there to build mindshare for a year while they have nothing to show.

Datschge

Stephen Colbert said:
The Wii 2 will almost certainly be powered by the AMD Trinity, Krishna or Komodo.
So what's the possibility of including PowerPC (as chip or instruction level support) in there for hardware backward compatibility? Haven't heard of anything marrying both x64 and PowerPC on a hardware level so far.

Emitan

Gamer @ Heart said:
GAH. WHAT WAS THE OP?
We don't appreciate those types of questions around here. If you keep asking who knows what could happen? Your head could get mashed like a potato.

StuBurns

Banned
Xater said:
It does still matter to those companies. I really don't think they want a better/newer system out there to build mindshare for a year while they have nothing to show.
If they show nothing yeah, but that'd be insane.

If Nintendo release a system fall 2012, Sony and MS would be crazy not to announce their boxes at E3'12.

JudgeN

Xater said:
Can I just say that it would be crazy for Sony and MS to wait for Winter 2013? I really don't think either will give Nintendo that kind of headstart.

Fixed

I agree with you though, not a snowball chance in hell that that Sony or Microsoft will give Nintendo a 1 year head start. If the Wii2 is coming fall 2012 (which I find odd to show the public now, wouldn't that hurt Wii sales?) Microsoft/Sony will launch Winter 2012 to Q1 2013. To be honest I feel that is about the right time for a new console.

Emitan

JudgeN said:
Fixed

I agree with you though, not a snowball chance in hell that that Sony or Microsoft will give Nintendo a 1 year head start. If the Wii2 is coming fall 2012 (which I find odd to show the public now, wouldn't that hurt Wii sales?) Microsoft/Sony will launch Winter 2012 to Q1 2013. To be honest I feel that is about the right time for a new console.
I don't think they'll be ready by then. Microsoft's only just hired someone to be in charge of architecture development, right? Plus Kinect is doing OK and they've changed their disk format.

Top Bottom