• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best controller for 2D retro indie games on PC?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I recently picked up Volgarr the Viking and realized I have so many of these 2D indie game in my steam catalog. I also have a good number of controllers laying around I can use to play them:

360 Pad
Pros: Most compatible
Cons: DPad

gm_xboxc_blk_otherviews01.jpg

PS4 controller. Pros: DPad. Cons: can be wonky to connect sometimes (for me anyway)

ps4-frontview.png

I also have Mayflash adapter for the Classic Controller:

Wii_Classic_Controller.jpg

Speevy

Banned
Retro-styled indies are not typically designed in the same way that NES and SNES games were.

As a matter of fact, they're pretty much all designed to work fine with the Xbox 360 controller.

Crayon

If you already have all of those, the ds4 is a no-brainer. The dpad on the xbox controller makes it hard to pick the right grenade, let alone throw a fireball.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Of those 3, the Wii Classic Controller IMO, PS4 pretty good too. I feel the best you can get is a USB Saturn Controller.

T-Matt

Classic controller or wii u pro controller are tops for me. Thankfully on PC you can basically use whatever you like. Don't need to compromise.

Tizoc

I used a PS4 controller to play various 2D style games on my laptop and had great results. Just make sure you are using the proper software to have your PC/lappy properly accept the PS4 controller.

Fredrik

I use a wired 360 pad simply because there is no need to set it up, you just plug it in and it instantly works and buttons are mapped correctly with the right button art in games etc.

Dualshock 4, Sony dpads are great in my opinion. Great control without being cramped. Those little dpads Nintendo's been using since the game cube are awful. Though I'm not sure how the pro controller holds up.

I've been using the xbox one controller lately. The d-pad is so much better than the awful one the 360 has. I also have a mayflash adapter which accepts ps2, saturn and n64 controllers. It works well, however there are quite a few games it doesn't work with.

Personally? A keyboard.

I mean, it's certainly not for everybody, and it's great that so many alternative options exist... but hell, I've been playing 2D games on PC since the DOS days with this thing, and it only very rarely fails me (I've had some issues with diagonals and hitting ASD, although moving the action keys down to ZXC or up to QWE works around that nicely). It's all digital input, after all; it's not like with a 3D game where a lack of analog input could come back to bite you. (And if it is one of those 2D games where analog input is actually in play, I have a wired 360 controller on-hand. D-Pad isn't ideal for 2D, but the analog's fine.)

Voliko

I use a PS3 controller. I'm sure the WiiU pro controller and the DS4 would also get the job done. Playing 2D games with the 360 pad is basically unplayable for me.

Haunted

I have a wireless 360 controller connected. Might have gotten an XB1 controller but they only support wired and I don't like the triggers as much as I do on the 360. Not a fan of the stick placement on the Dualshocks. Using Wii controllers means that the in-game button prompts in many games are fucked up.

Not a fan of the turbo buttons on it.

But it still is the best of the USB knockoffs, in terms of quality. These feel real close to the original pads. Unless you know of any others out there with a good build quality to them.

Where can I get a USB Saturn pad?

There are lots of different models available on Amazon. But unfortunately most are made of a cheaper build quality than the official. Usually made from cheaper plastics and lower quality pcb boards. Sega Saturn pads. Sega of Japan did produce USB controllers for PC, but they stopped making them and now cost a lot on Ebay when they do appear. These ones are pretty much 1:1 to the original Saturn pads. .

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I use the Mayflash adapter with the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii.

Retro-styled indies are not typically designed in the same way that NES and SNES games were.

As a matter of fact, they're pretty much all designed to work fine with the Xbox 360 controller.

I use a wired 360 pad simply because there is no need to set it up, you just plug it in and it instantly works and buttons are mapped correctly with the right button art in games etc.
I use a wired 360; heck, many games actually show the 360 controller as the model for button mapping. I love it.

I have a great pre-dual shock PS1-type Logitech USB controller which is terrific for MAME, dpad heavy stuff. Rarely use it now. I have always liked the analog stick in the 360 and the dpad has never been more than an item/weapon selector since I started using it. It's good for that ...

Sounds like the Xbone and PS4 controllers are tops, too.

Orayn

I designed and 3D printed this one with indie/retro/2D games in mind. The innards are from a Logitech F310, so it even has native Xinput support.

b12rSlO.jpg

mb938gz.jpg

My d-pad design was flawed and it's pretty hard to use because of that, but I'm hoping to make a revised version to address the issues.

Decado

Is Sony going to release an updated version of the ps4 pad? Heard the current one has terrible battery life issues.

wired XBone controller is the GOAT for comfy couch gaming. D-Pad rights the wrongs from the 360 pad and the bumpers are the best yet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I use one of these sometimes. It's great for that old style arcade feel.

gyXaO3h.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Arcade stick for games that support it.

Sega Saturn pad if you want a normal retro controller.

Wii U Pro is the only current mainstream controller with a decent d-pad. Get a mayflash adapter and it emulates 360-controller. Perfect if you want a new normal controller.

Arturo

I've been using this beauty, the NES30 controller :) and it works like a charm with OpenEmu on my iMac. It feels great in the hands, and the D-pad and buttons are really good.

It works with Mac and Windows (supports both Bluetooth and USB), but you can also use it with iOS and Android devices and it supports Wiimote emulation.

http://www.nes30.com

nes30.jpg

nes30pack.png

They also have another one, the F30, which looks like the Famicom controller, but I haven't tried it.
http://www.fc30.com/eng/

_12.jpg

_12-1.jpg

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I now use the DS4 exclusively since my DS3's battery died, along with the whole thing for some reason.

Does it hurt your left thumbs as much as the original?

I've been using this beauty, the NES30 controller :) and it works like a charm with OpenEmu on my iMac. It feels great in the hands, and the D-pad and buttons are really good.
That looks really cool.

Top Bottom