• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best controller for 2D retro indie games on PC?

I use the Xbox One controller. The bumpers don't bother me, I like the d-pad, I'm used to the button layout and it's got great support on the PC because of the years of the 360 controller being supported so much. Looking at these retro looking controllers makes me want to get one for indie games, but I have enough games that work best with analog sticks that it's better to have something that covers all of it.

krYlon

Personally? A keyboard.

I mean, it's certainly not for everybody, and it's great that so many alternative options exist... but hell, I've been playing 2D games on PC since the DOS days with this thing, and it only very rarely fails me (I've had some issues with diagonals and hitting ASD, although moving the action keys down to ZXC or up to QWE works around that nicely). It's all digital input, after all; it's not like with a 3D game where a lack of analog input could come back to bite you. (And if it is one of those 2D games where analog input is actually in play, I have a wired 360 controller on-hand. D-Pad isn't ideal for 2D, but the analog's fine.)

Although this is not what the OP asked for, I have to agree for 2D games there is absolutely no need for a controller. In fact I would go so far as to say the keyboard is the most responsive control scheme you can have as your fingers will already be positioned on most of the keys. You can press the keys quicker than you can moving from the left side of a d-pad to the right side.

I guess it's what console gamers grew up on, but like you I played a lot on my PC as a kid. A lot of platformers like Keen and it feels natural to me and much more responsive than a controller. Playing the likes of Braid and VVVVVV and Super Meat Boy, keyboard was perfect.

RM8

All my PC gaming is done with my Hori Pad 3 (which supports PC natively and has a real d-pad, unlike the DS3 :p).

horipad3.jpg

Mine is white, though.

So yes, it's awesome for 2D games.

Sorry for the necro-post, but what's hot in Retro controllers right now?

My PS2-to-USB-adapter recently died and I bought a shiny new Xbox One controller, which is pretty great except for the D-pad. I do a lot of couch gaming with RetroArch and it's really no good for that. The D-pad is quick and precise, but it's a bit too clicky for my tastes and my hand cramps up after half an hour of intense use.

I also have an OG SNES controller (Mayflash USB adapter) that's pretty good, but it's gotten old and the D-pad and buttons are a bit mushy. Recently cleaned everything - still a bit off. When I use the SNES pad, I also miss the extra buttons that I map to various hotkeys and the quick menu access via the guide button.

My perfect controller would have a D-pad that's not as hard as the Xbox one pad, yet a bit more rigid than the one in my SNES controller, more buttons than I need for 16-bit games and (optional) Xinput support. Does this unicorn even exist? Could a Wii U Pro pad plus WiinUPro work?

C-Sword

Sorry for the necro-post, but what's hot in Retro controllers right now?

My PS2-to-USB-adapter recently died and I bought a shiny new Xbox One controller, which is pretty great except for the D-pad. I do a lot of couch gaming with RetroArch and it's really no good for that. The D-pad is quick and precise, but it's a bit too clicky for my tastes and my hand cramps up after half an hour of intense use.

I also have an OG SNES controller (Mayflash USB adapter) that's pretty good, but it's gotten old and the D-pad and buttons are a bit mushy. Recently cleaned everything - still a bit off. When I use the SNES pad, I also miss the extra buttons that I map to various hotkeys and the quick menu access via the guide button.

My perfect controller would have a D-pad that's not as hard as the Xbox one pad, yet a bit more rigid than the one in my SNES controller, more buttons than I need for 16-bit games and (optional) Xinput support. Does this unicorn even exist? Could a Wii U Pro pad plus WiinUPro work?

UGAME001200_2.jpg

fc30-1.jpg

Imo any controller with a dpad would do. Its retro.you dont need an analog stick you dont need trigger buttons or extra buttons to go in menus n shit. But ill have to say that any ps controller has the best dpad compared to others. Btw screw that xbox controllers dpad. All of them!

Imo any controller with a dpad would do. Its retro.you dont need an analog stick you dont need trigger buttons or extra buttons to go in menus n shit. But ill have to say that any ps controller has the best dpad compared to others. Btw screw that xbox controllers dpad. All of them!

I find it easier to perform fighter inputs faster/easier on a DS3 than a DS4 and if the Vita's dpad were bigger, that would be better than the DS4 for me. I'm also having trouble with the Xbox One's controller but they're all better than the 360 dpad.

I was looking at Buffalo and 8bitdo. Would a new knockoff SNES controller feel a little stiffer than my old one? I'm not even sure if SNES pads haven't always felt a little mushy tbh. My 1990s kid memory can't be trusted on this. Could the turbo buttons on the Buffalo controller be used as hotkeys or is the turbo function hardwired?

Basic menu access is pretty useful when you're running RetroArch. Not a huge fan of the D-pad on the DualShocks. I guess I prefer Nintendo-style cross-pads.

So I just realized my Amazon Fire TV stick is a really decent RetroArch machine. Like fullspeed SNES with CRT-Pi shader decent. Super cool.

Bought the 8Bitdo NES30 PRO for its bluetooth capabilities. Should work out just fine.

HTB12cGWMXXXXXaCXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

I was looking at Buffalo and 8bitdo. Would a new knockoff SNES controller feel a little stiffer than my old one? I'm not even sure if SNES pads haven't always felt a little mushy tbh. My 1990s kid memory can't be trusted on this. Could the turbo buttons on the Buffalo controller be used as hotkeys or is the turbo function hardwired?
I have 2 Buffalos. They don't feel identical to an original SNES pad, but they are the closest thing available on the market right now. They are very good.

I'm pretty sure you can't remap the turbo button but I could be wrong.

I have 2 Buffalos. They don't feel identical to an original SNES pad, but they are the closest thing available on the market right now. They are very good.

You can't, unfortunately. It seems to be a hardwired function.

But it still is the best of the USB knockoffs, in terms of quality. These feel real close to the original pads. Unless you know of any others out there with a good build quality to them.

There are lots of different models available on Amazon. But unfortunately most are made of a cheaper build quality than the official. Usually made from cheaper plastics and lower quality pcb boards. Sega Saturn pads. Sega of Japan did produce USB controllers for PC, but they stopped making them and now cost a lot on Ebay when they do appear. These ones are pretty much 1:1 to the original Saturn pads. .

Was there a special name to the saturn USB controllers from Sega? It's hard to find real ones on ebay. They feel really nice to use so wouldn't mind a second one.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

Neo Geo USB pad with the Neo Geo Pocket-style click stick is my favorite. The Wii U Pro controller with the Mayflash adapter is quite good too if I really want a proper D-Pad/wireless for some reason.

Branduil

8bitdo SNES controller works great for me.

PC gamepad options sure have come a long way since the bad old days of the '90s, LOL.

kubev

I suggest a controller that lets you toggle the functionality of the analog stick and d-pad.

- Logitech F310 (if you want a wired controller)
- Logitech F710 (if you want a wireless controller)

Otherwise, a Hori Fighting Commander will do if you don't need an analog stick and still want the option of pretending that you have one for games that map movement to the analog stick.

tsumineko

They really aren't. The 8bitdo SNES pads are an almost exact copy of the original SNES pads in every way. They are insane. I have 2 of them and I absolutely recommend them.

RowdyReverb

I use the Mayflash adapter with the Classic Controller Pro from the Wii.

Arcade stick for games that support it.

Sega Saturn pad if you want a normal retro controller.

Wii U Pro is the only current mainstream controller with a decent d-pad. Get a mayflash adapter and it emulates 360-controller. Perfect if you want a new normal controller.

Wii U Pro + Mayflash adapter.

Your PC will read it as a 360 controller. Never look back son. Never. Look. Back.
Hot damn I didn't know this existed. Definitely going on the wish list

RedSwirl

Honestly an Xbox One controller is good enough for me, preferably the Xbox One S controller revision, as it has bluetooth. The Dpad isn't the best in the world, but I don't think it's bad by any means. For certain circumstances an Xbox MadCatz fightpad might be better but requires some reconfiguration.

orborborb

I play them with my arcade stick now because I don't have to mess with remapping keys or changing input drivers since it reads as a 360 controller.

Justinh

Where can I get a USB Saturn pad?

Yeah, I use either my Play Sega pad or my PDP 360 VS controller
NRcoHos.jpg

Took me a while to get used to the clicky stick rather than a D-pad, but I like it now (especially for 2D spaceship shooters)
15 dollars on Amazon

edit: You could always just get a usb adapter for a saturn pad too, but sometimes there's weirdness with them (like each direction defaults to a POV hat direction and a button press, so you have to do like... hold down two specific buttons to keep to put it in a mode to keep it from doing that. it's weird, it might just be my adapter, though...)

They really aren't. The 8bitdo SNES pads are an almost exact copy of the original SNES pads in every way. They are insane. I have 2 of them and I absolutely recommend them.
I will never recommend a wireless pad over a wired for retro twitch style gameplay.

So, what do you find wrong with the buffalos then? Besides the dpad feeling a teensy bit stiffer than an original SNES pad (I did say they aren't exact).

I use a buffalo. Super happy with it.

I don't like the Xbox One controller because the assymetrical layout means your buttons and dpad are not aligned properly. I really don't like that and it sucks that the Switch Pro controller now has a similar configuration

WUMFhj5l.jpg

No analog sticks to get in the way, the most satisfying d-pad I've ever used, 10 buttons, comfortable in the hand... it's old, but perfect for retro games. Incredibly cheap and easy to find, as well. And now that Steam added support for old d-input controllers, you can use it to play anything with no issues.

Knurek

WUMFhj5l.jpg

No analog sticks to get in the way, the most satisfying d-pad I've ever used, 10 buttons, comfortable in the hand... it's old, but perfect for retro games. Incredibly cheap and easy to find, as well. And now that Steam added support for old d-input controllers, you can use it to play anything with no issues.

What are you smoking?
Granted, I've onlyused F31, but its dpad was even worse than X360 one. By a fair margin.

WiiU Pro pad for 2D games, SteamCon for 3D games. perfection.gif

Branduil

I will never recommend a wireless pad over a wired for retro twitch style gameplay.

So, what do you find wrong with the buffalos then? Besides the dpad feeling a teensy bit stiffer than an original SNES pad (I did say they aren't exact).
You can connect the 8bitdo pads over USB though.

jotun?

I like the Logitech Dual Action / F310 / F710. I've seen some hate for the d-pad, but I think it's good

You can connect the 8bitdo pads over USB though.
Oh really? I never knew that, everytime I've seen a discussion of them it's always in relation to being wireless controllers.

That's cool, but I still don't like the 4 button snes layout on them. I'd prefer to use NES style pad for NES games and Buffalo for SNES. Can't imagine playing SNES games without the rounded edges.

Crayon

WUMFhj5l.jpg

I had a pair of these I loved them. Plundered them for the PCBs one nite...

tsumineko

Yeah, you said they were the closest to the original SNES controller, but they aren't, the 8bitdo is. That's all I was saying. The 8bitdo is nearly identical to the original SNES pad in almost every way. Amazing pads. I used both within seconds of each other and couldn't tell a difference.

edit: but to talk about your other point, yes they are connectable over USB too, I used it on my Retrofreak like that.

I bought one of those Buffalo SNES pads off amazon and the dpad on it is garbage. Maybe I got a bad one, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I beat Volgarr with a 360 pad myself. Was one of the later models with the raised d-pad.

Chinbo37

I use a Street Fighter IV FIghtpad. It's very good but the price has gone WAY up in recent years

411y3LrFV3L.jpg

I was going to post this as well.

I have the wireless one. It comes with a USB dongle to pair it to. Works on PS3 and on PC. I have the same on above, the Ken version.

sp3ctr3

For analog stick games:
Xbox 360 Controller

For digital input games:
Xbox 360 SFIV Fightpad

For arcade style games
Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA (X360)

Everything is Xbox 360 button prompts and works right out of the box. This is the setup im rockin'

edit:
didn't realize I alread responded to this

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Using the 8bitdo SNES30 and NES30 is believing. I am such a fanboy of their products now. They are like the original NES and SNES controllers in feel... but maybe better. Like they are official Nintendo products or something.

Top Bottom