• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best science fiction book you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

neurow2lux.png

I think it was the first great sci-fi novel that I ever read and it's stuck with me ever since. Re-read it last year and I enjoyed it just as much. Love Gibson's style. And reading it nowadays you can really see just how influential it was.

edit: just noticed this thread is old as hell. Oops.

Inversive

I read Dune for the first time while on holiday in the summer and really enjoyed it, it's worthy of all the praise it gets. Though i've been told to avoid the other books, is that good advice?

t-ramp

I've read some of the major ones mentioned, but nothing really jumps to mind as the best. One that I think of every now and then is Pohl's The World at the End of Time, which is a great story.

PerdidoStreetStation(1stEd).jpg

I never read anything like this before and it was recommended here by another gaf reading thread. It started me reading again since the last book I went through was the second Jurassic Park in school. This book is so good I am reading it again and I have never done that before.
But The Scar is better!
These are both such excellent books. I have Iron Council, but for whatever reason didn't get sucked in like I did with Perdido Street Station and The Scar. I still need to read that one, since I'm sure it's worth it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I haven't read too much sci-fi, but it's probably Dune.

Compelling story with great characters.

sn00zer

For fans of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, I highly recommend checking out the accompanying adventure game of the same name - or at least a playthrough of it on YouTube, which will accomplish roughly the same thing without all the frustrations of playing a buggy, trial & error-fraught pixel huntin' point & clicker from the early 90s. The game narrative fleshes out the characters (I believe them to 'overlap' with those described in the short story) and maintains the grim tone while never quite covering the same ground, making for a very different but complementary experience.

Man I dont know if I can sit in that universe longer than it took to read the story.

Galactic Milieu Series by Julian May.

From wiki:

The book follows the Remillard family of New Hampshire from the years immediately after World War II through an increasingly turbulent world, in which various "metapsychic" humans manoeuvre in secret to direct the destiny of the human race. The Remillards play a central role in this story, though the narrator, Rogatien "Uncle Rogi" Remillard, is often an alienated observer rather than a central participant. At the same time, the earth is under surveillance by representatives of a galactic culture (the "Galactic Milieu" of the series title), who monitor the human race's fitness for admission into the wider galactic community. Interwoven with this narrative are glimpses of the time after the main action of the series, drawing together threads from it and the Pliocene Exile series.

Blew my damn mind back in the day.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Foundation.
Although it shows it's years, there's hardly contenders. Dune is good, but overrated - Damn fine literature, has a very important historical meaning (Not at the levels of Lord of the Rings for the fantasy genre, but comes close), but, at the end of it, especially considering that sequels at a certain point become.. questionable, it's not THAT good.

Dead Man

Foundation.
Although it shows it's years, there's hardly contenders. Dune is good, but overrated - Damn fine literature, has a very important historical meaning (Not at the levels of Lord of the Rings for the fantasy genre, but comes close), but, at the end of it, especially considering that sequels at a certain point become.. questionable, it's not THAT good.

Not sure it is fair to dock Dune for the sequels when the question is about the best book.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I dont have a favorite book, but I think The Last Question is my favorite short story.

And Dangerous Visions is still the best anthology.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ill be honest, I love my star trek novels. Have read every single one that has come out over the last few years and tons from before that. I really enjoyed the "further adventures of DS9" novels and despite it's absurdity, the Destiny trilogy was a damn entertaining read. As far as more "classic" sci fi, I really enjoyed Hyperion and although I'm not quite as enamoured with the fall of Hyperion, I'm still having a good time with it. Every pilgrims story in the first book being written in a unique style and tone to match their character was fantastic and what made the book really stand out to me. That's sorely missing in the sequel. Although I'm only a quarter way through.

Das Ace

All the good ones of mine are taking, so I'll say:

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

Not really pure SciFi, but I loved it when I read it last. The ending is kind of ...eh. To steal GRRM's metaphor, it seems R.C.W. wrote it like a gardner, as opposed to an architect. But the journey is definitely worth it.

Mr.Pig

I really liked the first Rama, but from what I hear the sequels are more about like, politics and stuff and less about cool alien artifacts

The sequels as I remember them were mostly about
disco spiders, sex and the place of the human race in an advanced alien populated galaxy.
They didn't quite have the same amount of Lost-y "what does it mean? Aaw, no time for answers." The answers are never as interesting as the mystery still unsolved.

Excession by Iain M. Banks comes to mind, simply because it stands out from the rest of the Culture series. Most books in the series involve the most powerful pan-galactic society needling in the business of less advanced races, but Excession has them reacting to a power far beyond theirs.

It really shows the personal side of the AI minds a lot better, and I think it rules because of it.

I also love that the few human characters in the story, who I suppose you should identify with, turn out to only be bargaining chips to convince a ship to involve itself in the scheme.

endre

Asimov robot novels and stories. Currently reading Robots of Dawn. Great read.

I wasn't overwhelmed with the Foundation trilogy.

I read Ender's Game. Mainly because his name is so close to mine. I wasn't attracted to the book from what I read before reading it. After I read it I still do not get the hype over it.

Dune wasn't a page turner for me. Rama is also very close to meh. Stars My Destination I liked.

Oh yeah, I liked Hyperion. And the Thrawn trilogy but that is more fiction then sci-fi. Do not get me wrong I like Star Wars very much. But I cannot really count it as a sci-fi.

hat_hair

There are so many potentially good choices.
Gateway, Use of Weapons, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Snow Crash, Ender's Game, Ringworld, 1984, Brave New World, Farenheit 451, The Island of Doctor Moreau, or pretty much anything by Philip K Dick.

But I probably have to say that The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester is the single greatest piece of Science Fiction I have ever read.

Kater

Banned
Either H.G. Wells "Time Machine" or Tad Williams "Otherworld".

Btw, is The Island of Dr Moreau (H.G. Wells) classified as Sci-Fi?

Parch

You guys are way too highbrow for me
Books are like movies. Rarely does an action movie ever get consideration for an academy award. I've always preferred my sci-fi to be a little more action-movie.

I do like my science fiction to be thought provoking, but frequently they get so deeply philosophical to the point of being boring. Great when done right but too often they try too hard. They want that "classic" label.

Always a matter of preference, but the tech heavy, creepy aliens, action adventure, popcorn movie craziness is good too. They might not ever be considered classic, but they're fun.

I read Dune for the first time while on holiday in the summer and really enjoyed it, it's worthy of all the praise it gets. Though i've been told to avoid the other books, is that good advice?

The other ones from Frank Herbert aren't bad, and a few of them (imo) are almost as good as Dune. Heretics of Dune and Children of Dune are great, after that things get weirder and weirder. I enjoyed the lot of them though.

Avoid the one's not written by Frank like the plague though.

Use of Weapons.

Sublime in Peace, Banks.

Excession by Iain M. Banks comes to mind, simply because it stands out from the rest of the Culture series. Most books in the series involve the most powerful pan-galactic society needling in the business of less advanced races, but Excession has them reacting to a power far beyond theirs.

It really shows the personal side of the AI minds a lot better, and I think it rules because of it.

I also love that the few human characters in the story, who I suppose you should identify with, turn out to only be bargaining chips to convince a ship to involve itself in the scheme.

I actually didn't like it because it turned the AIs, these beings that are so much more intelligent and superiour to the pleb humans, into such fragile and flawed beings.

MikeDown

Banned
i don't really read, though my favorite (and prolly the only books) I have read are Animal Farm, Ferinheit 451, Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man.

Taffer

The entire 2001 series and Rendezvous with Rama. I want to read the Rama sequels but haven't found copies yet.

I just picked up Rama Returns today after finishing 2001 and Rendezvous, I remember reading the Rama books years ago and wanted to see if I still like it. Dune next for the same reason.

As for actual favourites, it's probably going to be Count Zero - I end up reading the Sprawl books every year or so.
Stephen Baxter's Manifold books are amazing, I want to be a crotchety old bastard like Malenfant when I grow up (and after looking up the wiki page I just noticed there's a third one I've never read. Hype!).
And because I love the shit out of it and no-one mentioned it that I saw I'll recommend Cities In Flight by James Blish. Anti-gravity drives powerful enough to lift cities lead to Earth's cities becoming interstellar hobos travelling around colony worlds looking for work.

Carcetti

I have metric tons of scifi in my bookshelf so this is really, really hard.

I guess I'll have to go with something that's always joy to read and has good balance on plot, sf thingys, character drama and political commentary, so I'll pick Player of Games by Iain M. Banks - RIP :(

Walshicus

Should be the only reply.
Dune's okay, but there are better. I think the Martian Trilogy is superior in the Planetary Romance genre.

I prefer Banks' science fiction. Not sure if I could pick a single book; Look To Windward is favourite at the moment, but that opinion changes weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom