• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last movie that truly scared you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not The Ring, but Ringu, the Japanese version. The tape totally freaked me out. The weird squeelling sound and the guy with the thing on his head.....oh god. I left the house and slept for two days at home. (my grandma's house and our own is in the same flat, i was watching Ringu alone at my grandma's house 4 in the morning.)

White Man

sonarrat said:
Caligula made my penis run and hide.

Oh sonarrat, if only we were sexually compatible.

Anyway, Session 9.

EDIT: Also, Ringu is horrible and you are more likely to laugh at it than be scared once, well, once the worst plot twist in cinema history happens.

Favre4435 said:
Signs gave me shivers....

When the first alien footage is shown at that birthday party... the way that damn thing looks at the camera and strange 9/11-like mood that had been set up to that point all combined to make my spine crawl.

QFT. That part is awesome. Wolf Creek had me unnerved.

Octagon

ZeroCube; seriously i get the vibe when i watch the Cube triology. I am not sure why;
maybe it's the mood and the setting of those movies.
But Maybe it is also because everything feels so sterile, I honestly can't tell.
I'm glad that i didn't watch those movies alone.
Cube triology FTW :D

In general I don't get scarred by horror movies, i find them disgusting at times but i could watch any kind of horror alone at night and sleep well afterwards.
I don't mind a lot of gore and blood either and even suspense is normally something that doesn't get to me.
Which reminds me: i think the Ring is rather boring. I even fell asleep at the movie theatre which never happened to me before or afterwards.

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
The Blair Witch Project was inda scary but when i ws a little kid a saw this move THE GATE..............scared the shit out of me:lol i cant baleave how much it sared me:lol

i kept having nightmares of those little basturds
t35581wo11e.jpg
Same for me. I've said it a few times here. That one shot from the ground that has one of those little shits running towards the screen quickly... ugh, I just put my feet up as I typed this. And that damned construction worker that was buried inside of the walls when the house was built... ****! :( :( :( :(

Borci88

Scullibundo said:
QFT. That part is awesome. Wolf Creek had me unnerved.
Wolf Creek was funny, when the murderer laughed constantly. And then scared them... THAT was funny. Although

When he was sitting in the back seat of the car, and the chick gets in the drivers seat, and he stabs a knife through the seat into her spine, and twists it around, thats scary.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cronenburg's "The Fly", not so much for being scary and more for the fact that I was like 4 years old when I saw it.

mrkgoo

Borat.

That bit in the texas rodeo with that one dude?

And the evangelist church?

Jesus, just knowing it was all for real...it truly scares me.

mrkgoo said:
Borat.

you need to watch jesus camp....even more ****ed up...it is

peace

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The Ring was lame, although the thought of the tape was kind of psychological thriller than horror.

I have to say the only film which has really genuinely freaked me out is....The Grudge :lol

I have some kind of instinctive built in fear for the traditional asian ghost, and this film really brought it out for the first time. You could just have that girl stood in a garden doing nothing and I would be frozen to the spot in fear :D

I seriously felt nervous thanks to this film, even my bed didnt feel safe anymore - hiding under the covers? hell no she appears there too bitch! I was seriously twitchy about it for like 2 whole weeks.

I tend to be superstitious about ghosts and was brought up to believe in them so that may be why it pressed my buttons.

bud

The japanese version of the grudge...OMG

I couldn't sleep for days without thinking some creepy underage japanese girl would crawl up from under my blanket.

Nick said:
I hate scary movies, but Halloween has always been the penultimate scary movie that I could never quite get over.

How that ****er walks, talks and stalks his way into your life. That dead stare. Ugh. I hate him.

?

Dude, do you realize how easy it would be to outrun Myers? He's slow as hell, and the only reason he kills anyone is because he seems to have a knack for discovering people with low IQs lol.

My viewings of the Halloween movies usually consist of me yelling at the TV

"DO NOT GO BACK IN THE HOUSE RETARD"
"WAIT, DON'T HAVE SEX IN THE BASEMENT IDIOT"
"DON'T HAVE SEX AT ALL. DIDN'Y YOU HEAR THERE'S A KILLER ON THE LOOSE?"
"WTF YOU'RE BLACK? GET THE **** OUT OF THERE!"
"SHE DIDN'T ANSWER THE PHONE? SHE'S DEAD. GET OUT THE CITY"

alaria

Does it have to be a horror movie, specifically? Because the last movie that scared me was The Day After Tomorrow. The imagery is truly haunting and all-too-real/possible.

Jake.

alaria said:
Does it have to be a horror movie, specifically? Because the last movie that scared me was The Day After Tomorrow. The imagery is truly haunting and all-too-real/possible.

yeah, packs of wolves on a boat are pretty possible.

alaria said:
it was truly frightnening to see the Great and Brave America under those conditions, wasn't it?

mrkgoo said:
Borat.

Do a little reading about Sergei Eisenstein. It becomes much less scary.

My vote goes to Signs. The birthday party footage, the overhead sound effects... that stuff freaked me out.

big_z

Jake XXX said:
wolf creek is the biggest joke of a 'film' i have ever seen. some you guys are crazy.

I liked wolf creek but i dont know if it's scary enough to be a horror movie...

When I was younger (like 10 or 11) the IDEA of horror movies scared the living shit out of me. I had never seen one because I was way way too frightened. A doll that killed people? Freddy Krueger? Pinhead?

And then I watched Scream because everyone in my middle school was talking about how cool it was. So I watched it, it scared me a little bit because it was the first one I watched, but when it was over I realized that it didn't scare me as much as I thought it would. So I watched Halloween and found myself laughing more than being scared. I went through every horror movie I could think of just to see what would scare me and honestly, nothing scared me at all after my first couple of films.

Can't believe so many people mentioned Event Horizon. I thought it was very disturbing and a good movie, but I always get shit for mentioning it.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
castle007 said:
The Ring

And I am being serious

That ****ing Samara ****ed me up

I had a tv in my room and I couldn't sleep for an entire week

Yup me too. I had this big tv about 3 feet from my bed at the time. I was so scared that that shit would turn on by itself.

Lazy Z

The early parts of the Descent creeped me out as well. I'm claustrophobic, and I was feeling seriously uneasy when they were going through all those caves. Then gollum and his bros started attacking and everything was fine again.

Otherwise, the only thing that comes to mind is the Japanese version of the Grudge, Ju-On/Yu-Gi-Oh something, specifically that scene with that girl that find the ghost under her covers... ugh. As a kid, whenever I was scared I'd do the same, taking cover under my blankets thinking I was protected from whatever, so this scene really played on that childhood fear of mine. I remember I had to pause the movie and leave the room for a good five minutes after that. :lol

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
castle007 said:
The Ring

And I am being serious

That ****ing Samara ****ed me up

I had a tv in my room and I couldn't sleep for an entire week

Yup i agree. I had this big tv about 3 feet from my bed at the time. I was so scared that that shit would turn on by itself.

cuate

Banned
Not technically a movie, but Broken by NIN really messed me up badly, especially the Gave Up video (NSFW): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgipBYvrRpU (Click at your own discretion)I mean seriously,it looks so damn real and convincing, sometimes I just wondered if I was watching an actual snuff film. Ugh..I couldn't sleep that night...and the night after that... and the night after... of course it didn't help that I was alone in my house with the thought that a serial killer would tie me up while I was asleep, I was going paranoic. Fun times.

Whole movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnY2CdK-aLo

Philia

kaizoku said:
I have to say the only film which has really genuinely freaked me out is....The Grudge :lol

I seriously felt nervous thanks to this film, even my bed didnt feel safe anymore - hiding under the covers? hell no she appears there too bitch! I was seriously twitchy about it for like 2 whole weeks.

I tend to be superstitious about ghosts and was brought up to believe in them so that may be why it pressed my buttons.

OMG. Kaizoku read my mind. Yeah in whole movie of Grudge does seem come off B rated horror (Maybe its Michelle Gellar (Buffy VS) that threw me off... ), but the special effects of the asian ghosts were SO damn good, it just freaks me out repeatedly. I'm just paranoid for days wondering if that b*tch is behind my closet ready to drop her face down between the crack or under my darn covers or... worse... pull off my jaw.

Link1110

Favre4435 said:
Signs gave me shivers....

When the first alien footage is shown at that birthday party... the way that damn thing looks at the camera and strange 9/11-like mood that had been set up to that point all combined to make my spine crawl.

That scene made me laugh because the alien looks just like a monster from Shin Megami Tensei. :D

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Troll. (Saw it when I was a kid. Hated the thought of something living under the stairs waiting to jab me with a needle.)

Closest I've come was the siege in Straw Dogs, which isn't even a horror movie.

HONEY (SLUT) - I'M GOING TO PROTECT THIS CHILD MOLESTER WHILE THE LOCALS BREAK DOWN MY HOUSE IN THE MOST TEDIOUS SCENE COMMITTED TO FILM! I TELL YOU IN 30 YEARS THEY'LL SWEAR IT'S GREAT! :lol

I thought, like The Descent, that the first 45 minutes or so of Wolf Creek was great.
The setting was cool with the meteor site, with the characters out there alone, then their electronic equipment and car dies for no reason (which at this point in the movie I thought it was going to be about aliens or something; I had seen no trailers or read anything) and I was getting genuinely creeped out - then Dundee showed up (then when I figured out it had nothing to do with aliens, nor was there anything paranormal at all, I questioned why their shit stopped working) and the movie went right straight to hell and turned into yet another run of the mill torture/slasher flick.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Horror films aren't scary and pretty shit, because the formula they all use is so ****ing old.

accela

The Ju-on (Japanese The grudge) Movies. Small children freak the hell out of me.

Also the first real scary part in The Eye.
When that ****ing old lady stands right infront of the camera lens and making noises. I still can't watch that part.
The rest of the movie was good but not scary at all.

Most asian flicks usually have one or two scenes that'll scare the hell out of you. I've yet been scared by Western flicks.

Brobzoid said:
Horror films aren't scary and pretty shit, because the formula they all use is so ****ing old.

Just depends upon your frame of mind, as well as a will to allow them to scare you. Some people aren't affected by horror films and that's understandable because as your second point suggests, horror films are pretty shit because the formula most of them use is so ****ing old; this is something I agree with for the most part and it's really why I created the topic. How could the formula change? What would you do to change it personally?

In my opinion, the biggest reason why horror films are failures isn't really because of acting, writing, atmosphere, but because of the lack of subtlety. Many people believe Halloween is the scariest movie ever made (I'm one of them) and the concept is so simple: crazy guy escapes from a mental institution and then goes after his family for some reason unbeknownst to us. Some would call that a plot hole or lack of explanation or whatever, but I think it's brilliant because aside from him constantly being "killed" and coming back much like Jason Vorhees, it could happen to anyone despite probability. And the fact that no one knows why he's wanting to kill his family just adds to the mystery--and this, combined with the cinematography, editing, soundtrack, and so forth, sets up a pretty unnerving hour and twenty minutes of footage. Whether one agrees or not isn't the point because the film has factually disturbed a lot of people that have seen it.

I think horror films can work, it's just that not many directors and writers understand what can really disturb or bother the human mind. I think Carpenter tapped into that a bit with Halloween and I've yet to see it be replicated since.

The Take Out Bandit said:
HONEY (SLUT) - I'M GOING TO PROTECT THIS CHILD MOLESTER WHILE THE LOCALS BREAK DOWN MY HOUSE IN THE MOST TEDIOUS SCENE COMMITTED TO FILM! I TELL YOU IN 30 YEARS THEY'LL SWEAR IT'S GREAT! :lol
Man, you're a shoe in for that Playa Hating Degree! But it's not my fault your taste is broken.

Kleegamefan said:
The correct answer......

The Exorcist is actually one of the horror movies I consider a tad overrated in the fright department. I don't think it's silly for anyone to be disturbed by it so I'm not calling you guys out or anything; it's definitely a great movie. But of all the horror movies that are deemed great by the majority, Exorcist comes up on the short end for me. I actually think Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist is a bit scarier (not that shitty Renny Harlin version "Exorcist: The Beginning" but the one a good filmmaker, Paul Schrader directed).

Event Horizon is the one movie that truly disturbed me. Everything else pales in
comparison. It has some of the most shocking images ever put to film.

Definitely the only movie i have seen that kept me up at night.

Also I agree that the Decent was a excellent movie.

Event Horizon is really that good? I almost picked it up one day but saw that Paul Anderson directed it, and since I'm not a billionaire I didn't get it. But I have heard good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom