• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the last movie that truly scared you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Event Horizon is really that good? I almost picked it up one day but saw that Paul Anderson directed it, and since I'm not a billionaire I didn't get it. But I have heard good things.

Yeah if your looking for some disturbingly whacked shite you will love it.

"You wont need eyes where were going"

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I watched exorcist in anticipation of a great horror film as a 13 yr old, by myself. I was bored and so not scared.

Come to think of it, The Omen scared the hell out of me as a kid, that theme tune alone was enough to get me panicking regardless of all the satanic stuff.

To this day I'm anxious about upside down crosses. My friend got a cross tatoo on his forearm and my response was "wow, never ever raise your arm in the air" cos doing so would have made the cross upside down.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The last movie that scared me: The Eye
Other movies that have scared me: Event Horizon, Exorcist, Alien
Last movie that made me jump: The Descent
Last movie that was disturbing but not scary: Penny Dreadful

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
brandonh83 said:
Just depends upon your frame of mind, as well as a will to allow them to scare you. Some people aren't affected by horror films and that's understandable because as your second point suggests, horror films are pretty shit because the formula most of them use is so ****ing old; this is something I agree with for the most part and it's really why I created the topic. How could the formula change? What would you do to change it personally?

In my opinion, the biggest reason why horror films are failures isn't really because of acting, writing, atmosphere, but because of the lack of subtlety. Many people believe Halloween is the scariest movie ever made (I'm one of them) and the concept is so simple: crazy guy escapes from a mental institution and then goes after his family for some reason unbeknownst to us. Some would call that a plot hole or lack of explanation or whatever, but I think it's brilliant because aside from him constantly being "killed" and coming back much like Jason Vorhees, it could happen to anyone despite probability. And the fact that no one knows why he's wanting to kill his family just adds to the mystery--and this, combined with the cinematography, editing, soundtrack, and so forth, sets up a pretty unnerving hour and twenty minutes of footage. Whether one agrees or not isn't the point because the film has factually disturbed a lot of people that have seen it.

I think horror films can work, it's just that not many directors and writers understand what can really disturb or bother the human mind. I think Carpenter tapped into that a bit with Halloween and I've yet to see it be replicated since.

The thing films are missing though, is the "oh shit, I hope this dude doesn't show up when I leave the theater", which(imo) Silent Hill and other videogames nails perfectly. Perhaps because I feel much more connected to the character that is in danger. In the decent I hoped there was a nuke button under my seat, those girls were so ****ing annoying. The direction horror movies has moved in the recent years(since the 80's) is just towards general splatter, and they focus less and less on story and characters, losing immersion along side of it. As a side-note, I felt saw tried to establish a connection to characters, giving the bad-guy a reason to terrorize people. But the later saw films kinda jumped the shark and ****ed it all up.

And then you have the ****ing idiot characters in movies, like wolfcreek:
they shot the dude, he's on the floor, FINISH THE ****ING JOB!
It's not surprising that he comes back when my dvd player says it's 30 minutes since the film started, it's shitty writing and it makes me lose any connection I might have had with these characters.

The thing that annoyed me the most about wolfcreek was probably when the ending said that it was all real and the dude was still out there(or something to that effect). I mean, the film wasn't even remotely immersive or even plausible, so to give me that "I hope that dude isn't waiting for me in my car" feeling, that a good horror film would have given, they need to pretend that it's real.

I agree that many horror films today think that it's just a arms-race to put the most snuff and shit in a film to disgust the watchers(hostel; haven't seen it myself, but the only thing people ever talk about regarding this movie is; tarantino backing it; it's selfimposed 21y rating; the gore). I'm seriously desensitized when it comes to this kind of violence now, I can't remember a single 'shock-site' that has made me feel ill. Shit like lemonparty, goatse a dude chopping his dick off, etc... It's all just stupid, morbid and boring.

Bring back way the oldies made horror films, scary through character interactions and hype, low on actual gore. It's been a long time since I saw alien, but if I remember correctly that's a pretty good horror movie.

thomaser

I can think of three:

- Ringu. Saw it pretty shortly after it was made without knowing anything about it beforehand. Not even that it was a horror-film. Watched it alone late at night too, and it got REALLY tense towards the end. It just had a very unsettling atmosphere that built and built and built very gradually right until the end.

- The Langoliers. Mini-series made from a Stephen King-book. I guess I was 13-14 or so when I saw it, and the whole idea of being stuck in a moment of time about to be devoured by monsters was terribly creepy, even if the whole thing was pretty badly made and very corny at times.

- The Shining. This was really scary the first time I saw it when I was 10 or so. The scariest part is when the kid bikes around the empty hallways, and you just know that something isn't right.

I've seen many classic horror-movies lately, like Event Horizon, Poltergeist, Rosemary's Baby and Suspiria, but they didn't affect me very much. I guess you have to be a kid to be truly, honestly scared by a movie.

Brobzoid said:
lots of stuff I agree with

Totally. You summed it up perfectly. Look at Halloween, it barely has any blood in it. However I do think directors like Eli Roth aren't out to scare anyone, just gross us out and give us a good time which I think movies like Hostel and Saw do; I enjoyed both of those a good deal. My problem is that they're under the horror genre. I guess you can broaden horror out a bit; I mean things in Hostel can easily be considered "horrific" but it isn't scary per se. Again I'd call movies like this a "thriller," like SE7EN or Silence of the Lambs.

Like you, I just want more horror films that aren't concentrated on gore or cheap CGI (see: The Grudge, Boogeyman, and the upcoming The Messengers). Speaking of The Messengers, I dunno. It looks like crap and there's some terrible shots of some computerized ghost here and there, but that movie seems to be the only one out of the recent bunch that will do a decent job at setting and atmosphere; I believe it's set in a farm or some kind of rural community and doesn't appear to be as over the top as The Grudge, but it'll likely be yet another one of these crappy Sam Raimi funded PG-13 shitfests; he should really stop funding crap like this because he's assisting in the destruction of the horror genre (not that many would agree it can be destroyed anymore than it already has been, but as a fan I have hope). :lol

Woakes

- The Langoliers. Mini-series made from a Stephen King-book. I guess I was 13-14 or so when I saw it, and the whole idea of being stuck in a moment of time about to be devoured by monsters was terribly creepy, even if the whole thing was pretty badly made and very corny at times.

I love this series/movie. It has some dodgy acting at times, and some questionable plot developments (how any of them even figure out what's happening is a bit of a leap) , but the sum is definatley greater than the parts. Great film, very twighlight zone. Didn't really creep me out, and I think it's more sci-fi than horror. Totally enjoyed it though, and very, very faithfull to the book.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
This, by the way, has the potential to be totally awesome:

01smx5.jpg

02srp1.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Crap, forgot to add the title. Those are stills from Black Sheep, a NZ movie about zombie sheep. WETA guys worked on it.

ziegen

Someone mentioned The Omen (original) already, but that one definately freaked me out. I was younger and I watched that in the house alone at night. The scene at the beginning with the nanny....:::shivers:::.

Also, Communion freaked me out pretty good.

communion_film_prev.jpg

White Man

I'm here to warn people about Event Horizon: For whatever reason (and it may just be this forum, who knows), the movie is incredibly overrated. It's merely an adequate execution of a somewhat novel concept. Do not get your hopes up; it is not that great.

I think the thing with Event Horizon is that it was really good at the time it came out. Since its release, lots of other movies have come out and used some of the same tricks so the effect is kind of dulled.

Still though, I'll always remember when they watched the video log of the previous crew. Ugh. Still creeps me out.

I'd say my scariest movie is THE GRUDGE. Yeah, I know some of you are SEVERE haters, but it played on a lot of my fears. Like somebody said on the first page, it tapped into the whole ghosts, hiding under the blankets, etc. The sequel was TERRIBLE. Total cash-grab that paid no respect to the original at all.

Hostel, Wolf Creek, etc. are all just torture flicks that do nothing for me. I'm all about super-natural and unexplainable for my horror. Killers are just so boring. At least the old horror flicks with Micheal, Freddy, and Jason had killers that couldn't be stopped, y'know? Made it a little bit scarier, but not much. At least at first they all had a mystery about them.

Descent was a decent horror flick, I thought. Really good until gollum showed up, but overall much much better than most recent efforts.

High Tension sucked hard. Not even worth talking about.

Silent Hill had potential but was never scary. It was at least cool to watch though, fan or not.

Devil's Rejects was enjoyable, but never scary. Just messed up. Wouldn't call it horror.

I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead remake, but other recent remakes have all been shamefully bad (Texas chainsaw, Omen, etc.)

BTW, the picture that somebody posted of the creepy girl at the piano? What movie is that from? I gotta know. Is it part of that horror threesome that's been doing the rounds at theaters lately?

alaria

Powerslave said:
it was truly frightnening to see the Great and Brave America under those conditions, wasn't it?

Jeez :( I just meant that seeing an idea of what sudden global warming/environmental disaster could potentially do was scary. No need to be sarcastic about it :(

metroid23

The Blair Witch Project. I utterly and completely bought into the "hype" surrounding it and was only capable of researching it on the internet enough to buy into it even more. I went to that thing thinking that it was 100% honest-to-god truth and it scared the holy living crap out of me. The last 5 minutes had me paralyzed and I remember leaving the theatre with one of those "what the hell just happened" feelings.

The Cube left me sort of that way as well. The second one less-so as it was more fun to figure out what the hell was happening.

I watched Suspiria one night at a friend's cabin in the woods. I was thoroughly creeped out, but I'm sure it was much more scary in the 70's when it was released. Same with The original Texas Chainsaw Massacare. I guess I'm just too desensitized.

I still haven't seen Event Horizon :(

Oh, and the end of "Fire in the Sky"
where they do the whole alien abduction process. The feeling of suffocation when they jam that stuff in his mouth, then down his throat and then jab him in the eye- gets me every time.

DieNgamers said:
"The Ring" and "Blair Witch Project"

I'll go ahead and defend you now, as I am a huge fan of Blair Witch. The problem with the movie is that it got way too much publicity when it was first shown off and everyone was foolishly writing it off as "real" at first, and then this of course got out of hand and it became hugely popular and there were claims that people were passing out in theaters and pissing their pants and having heart attacks and getting dysentery and cholera and STD's and so on and so forth. But I think it is a great little movie. It does something that I've been stressing in the thread, that when it comes to horror, the less you see and/or know, the better. That said, whether you like Blair Witch or not isn't really the point, but IMO the movie was definitely doing the right things and going in the right direction.

I watched Suspiria one night at a friend's cabin in the woods. I was thoroughly creeped out, but I'm sure it was much more scary in the 70's when it was released.

Suspiria is messed up but it has one of the best horror movie soundtracks ever written. It's stuff one would never listen to out of context but within the movie it's amazing.

icarus-daedelus said:
Most films by David Cronenberg are fuuuuuucked up wierd. I love them, though.

What all has he did? I want to say Solaris, which I saw in theaters but I'm not sure.

Children of Men, if for the feelings of dread and despair and disgust it conveys instead of traditional horror. As bleak as the world it portrays is, it's very easy to see it coming about in reality in twenty years or so.

metroid23

brandonh83 said:
I'll go ahead and defend you now, as I am a huge fan of Blair Witch. The problem with the movie is that it got way too much publicity when it was first shown off and everyone was foolishly writing it off as "real" at first, and then this of course got out of hand and it became hugely popular and there were claims that people were passing out in theaters and pissing their pants and having heart attacks and getting dysentery and cholera and STD's and so on and so forth. But I think it is a great little movie. It does something that I've been stressing in the thread, that when it comes to horror, the less you see and/or know, the better. That said, whether you like Blair Witch or not isn't really the point, but IMO the movie was definitely doing the right things and going in the right direction.

But foolishly writing it off as "real" made it so much better. When I show this to my kids, I am going to totally sell it to them as real and then give them the truth a week later.

Suspiria is messed up but it has one of the best horror movie soundtracks ever written. It's stuff one would never listen to out of context but within the movie it's amazing.

I agree. Also, someone mentioned the lighting as well. I guess when you combine them it works really, really well. Not to mention the fact that it was all in French which adds to the mystique a little in a "this-is-weird-and-foreign" sense.

metroid23 said:
But foolishly writing it off as "real" made it so much better. When I show this to my kids, I am going to totally sell it to them as real and then give them the truth a week later.

It's hard to explain what I meant; some people will get caught up in a media mess and grow a distaste toward the target but some people, like you, actually enjoy believing stuff and therefore making the experience better. That's fine too.

metroid23 said:
I agree. Also, someone mentioned the lighting as well. I guess when you combine them it works really, really well. Not to mention the fact that it was all in French which adds to the mystique a little in a "this-is-weird-and-foreign" sense.

Argento is a certified master of lighting and color and Suspiria plays on these attributes. I think technically it's one of the best horror movies ever made, and the brilliant part about it is that it sets up this bizarre universe of its own and you feel as if everything is wrong but you can't put your finger on it. Then plot wise he drops the bomb near the end and then something truly freaky and out of left field happens; I shouldn't have to explain if you've seen it but it scared the piss out of me. :lol

Nick said:
I hate scary movies, but Halloween has always been the penultimate scary movie that I could never quite get over.

So Halloween is the next to last scary movie you have ever seen? I disagree... Oh wait you think that penultimate means like 'the all time high or best'.

Uno Il Nino said:
High Tension sucked hard. Not even worth talking about.

I sorta liked High Tension. It was simple about its premise and if you had no clue how it was going to turn out, it was pretty twisty.

Well I think under-your-skin atmosphere and disturbing imagery is what I want out of horror, it's why I love the Silent Hill games and in turn very, very much enjoyed the film. I'll have to check some of those out, thanks. :)

White Man

Suspiria is pretty freakin awesome. I'd say it's more weird and creepy than it is outright scary. Atmospheric out the wazoo, but people looking for a shit your pants scary movie may walk away disappointed.

Just saw The Descent last night. I agree with most everyone here -- the first 45 minutes were genuinely scary and did a great job at setting up a (mostly) believable atmosphere and scenario. Once those damn "monsters" showed up, though....

If the film had stayed monster-free and had just focused on the womens' descent (lol) into madness, it would've been a really great horror film. As it is, it's kinda like Silent Hill; great opening hour, then just falls flat in the third act. Hell of an ending, though.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
DieNgamers said:
"The Ring" and "Blair Witch Project"

Blair Witch Project scared the hell out of me when i first saw it, and kinda still does to this day.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
ils.jpg

Ils was probably the last movie I've seen that had me clenching my fists with tension and suspiciously checking the doors and windows afterwards. It smartly sticks to the idea that the unknown is far more frightening than any creatures or "jump" scares other movies can throw at you. The barebones production and use of darkness work wonders here.

White Man said:
I'm here to warn people about Event Horizon: For whatever reason (and it may just be this forum, who knows), the movie is incredibly overrated.

At the very least, it hasn't aged well. There may be some value if someone's never seen it before, but as I found out several months ago, the movie simply doesn't hold up upon repeated viewings. Still, the expectations I had watching it for the first time in the theater were certainly well met. Even at 18, I was sufficiently creeped out by the ominous warning from the woman at the ticket counter: "Are you sure you're ready for this?"
popcorn.gif

The Descent honestly had a shot of being one of the best horror movies ever made. The atmosphere and claustrophobic cinematography was outstanding... then they turned it into a derivative, stupid, over the top piece of crap in almost a heartbeat.

Hotarubi: is "ils" dubbed or anything? Not that it matters, I'll check it out regardless. Just curious.

Also, anyone know anything about a recent film called Jennifer?

thomaser

White Man said:
Suspiria is pretty freakin awesome. I'd say it's more weird and creepy than it is outright scary. Atmospheric out the wazoo, but people looking for a shit your pants scary movie may walk away disappointed.

It hits you hard in a sensory way, that's for sure. The constant, droning, weird music and the extremely saturated and strong colours are almost physically hurtful, or at least pretty uncomfortable. If the visuals and music had been done in a more "normal", subdued way, the whole effect of the film would probably be much weaker than it is.

thomaser said:
It hits you hard in a sensory way, that's for sure. The constant, droning, weird music and the extremely saturated and strong colours are almost physically hurtful, or at least pretty uncomfortable. If the visuals and music had been done in a more "normal", subdued way, the whole effect of the film would probably be much weaker than it is.

Yep. Suspiria made me sick in a way that a lot of gore-heavy movies these days are trying to do. But without all the gore. :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
brandonh83 said:
Hotarubi: is "ils" dubbed or anything? Not that it matters, I'll check it out regardless. Just curious.

There's no DVD in the US yet, but the overseas copies are subtitled. There isn't a lot of dialogue in the film as it is, though.

And are you thinking of Argento's Jenifer, that he did for Masters of Horror? It falls in line with nearly every other episode in terms of quality: passable, but hardly noteworthy.

White Man said:
I'm here to warn people about Event Horizon: For whatever reason (and it may just be this forum, who knows), the movie is incredibly overrated. It's merely an adequate execution of a somewhat novel concept. Do not get your hopes up; it is not that great.
QFT. Event Horizon had an interesting concept that, in the hands of a capable director, would've worked wonders. As it is, it's nothing more than a series of jump cuts and half-baked scares (yes, including the "glimpse of hell" sequence) that shouldn't frighten anyone old enough to see it. Hostel made me squrim in my seat more than this did, and Hostel was terrible.

Hotarubi said:
There's no DVD in the US yet, but the overseas copies are subtitled. There isn't a lot of dialogue in the film as it is, though.

And are you thinking of Argento's Jenifer, that he did for Masters of Horror? It falls in line with nearly every other episode in terms of quality: passable, but hardly noteworthy.

Yeah, I think that's the one. I saw the DVD at a store a couple of months ago and remember seeing a couple of reviews online and almost bought it just out of curiosity.

White Man

thomaser said:

Heh, I'm going to have to watch it again tonite. It's been a while.

Yeah, sorry if I come off harsh on Event Horizon. I didn't see it right when it came out. As a matter of fact, I first saw it only a year or two ago, due to the hype it got on this very forum. Maybe it was one of those "had to be there at the time" things.

EDIT: I sorta like Hostel, but it's divisive enough that I probably wouldn't recommend it unless I had a good hold on what a person does and does not like. For a low budget horror movie, I thought it looked fantastic, mainly being due to being shot in Europe. I certainly thought it was a step up from Cabin Fever, overall.

madara

sonarrat said:
Caligula made my penis run and hide.

Caligula? How? Isnt that NC-17 flick with peter? Your penis dont like nudity? :lol Was like one mass orgy of naked people during whole flick. Cant be because they were ugly either, its been few years but I remember it wasnt out of shape naked guys or chicks, etc.

I've never been scared in my entire life. I look at fear in the face and say: "If you had a mirror, you'd know what I look like."

Seriously, what's a really really really creepy movie? I was told the Grudge is scary, but I didn't find it that scary. Disturbing, but not that Scary. In fact, when Ted Raimi screams, I laughed.

Bloodwake

Grave Dancers looks good.

The last movie to scare me was probably The Descent. That is, until it started to suck.

I hate the Ring, and I think the plot in the movie was totally ****ed up and the movie was made pointless after the girl crawled out of the TV, but for two weeks, I unplugged that ****er before I went to bed.

The movies that still scare me are the original Alien and Terminator films, as well as the Exorcist (the original) and the Shining, even though the book was much better and scarier for that matter. Halloween is probably my favorite horror movie. It's the only truly great slasher film, and the concept of the Shape is brilliant. In fact, I'm very worried about the remake, mainly because I heard Myers was going to talk. DON'T LET HIM TALK. The breathing was one of the most ingenious things in horror films ever.

Economan

I never really get scared at movies but some have creeped me out The omen, The shinning, Zombi 2, some films have grossed me out like some of the scene's in evil dead and dawn of the dead, cannibal holocaust. most new horror are pretty lame but hills have eyes remake was fantastic just as good as the original saw is okay haven;t seen the third.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Uno Ill Nino said:
BTW, the picture that somebody posted of the creepy girl at the piano? What movie is that from? I gotta know. Is it part of that horror threesome that's been doing the rounds at theaters lately?

That's from The Gravedancers. The link is right below the pic. It was one of the 9 Horrorfest movies that may not make it to DVD because they were so independent.

White Man

Hotarubi said:

I respectfully disagree. I've come to like Cabin Fever, but I still can't overcome the idea that it's trying just a little bit too hard to capture the ED2 style funny horror.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think only The Exorcist can fulfill the thread title for me, although there's some cool recommendations in this thread for stuff I haven't seen yet. I mostly laughed while watching The Ring, and I'll go to my death bed insisting that the Saw franchise is one of the worst things to happen to the genre in recent memory.

White Man said:
I respectfully disagree. I've come to like Cabin Fever, but I still can't overcome the idea that it's trying just a little bit too hard to capture the ED2 style funny horror.

At least the pancakes were good.

I like Cabin Fever. Fun movie to watch with friends.

GreekWolf

Eggo said:
That's from The Gravedancers. The link is right below the pic. It was one of the 9 Horrorfest movies that may not make it to DVD because they were so independent.

After posting that link last night, I did some poking around and found that the DVD is already out in Holland (2 disc collector's edition) and has been announced for U.S. release in March.

Anyway, the premise of the film is a bit too nasty for me to watch a second time, much less buy the stupid thing, because I'm already kind of superstitious as it is. The very idea that talking about ghosts out loud
allows them to "see" you
is a little unnerving.

Great horror flick, though. Especially if you're the sort who doesn't spook easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom