• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most refresh and mesmerizing setting you played recently?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Title says it all.

For me it's gotta be the Oldest House, from Control, a game for which whatever reason I don't know, completely flew under my radar since it's launch back in 2019, and I only got a chance to play it very recently.

Without getting into much spoilers, it's a fantastic environment to explore and interact with, that borrows so much to the game's narrative itself.

It completely drifts away from the most typical scenarios / world settings and for that reason it really stood out for me thanks to it's refresh take.

That Ashtray Maze sequence...sweet mother of videogames. Absolutely great.

What other settings / scenarios did knock you out of the park recently? I feel that nowadays, most games don't try to take it up a notch when it comes to this, they are pretty similar to each other.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The Manifold Gardens

Since it is a puzzle game it is not exactly a super unique setting but the incorporation of infinite architecture into the process of solving puzzles did feel very refreshing and mesmerizing to me.

Last edited:

Fbh

Probably Outer Wilds.
You basically get a small solar system to explore, with each planet having its own unique characteristics and puzzles. The way the levels are constructed and the way progression is achieved by learning and observing more about the world instead of traditional game mechanics like upgrades and gear was truly amazing.

8SzwQc8j2KJaZpsyxU6WjB3JkRj3uHTiB1hyt3BdLvtjyz3GAdvPiMZBLoLeEuaR6NtvPf5NJjt8pQPEALEQzEPChGEBxRc16CLA55L9egEmrcgdLeh.png

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Title says it all.

For me it's gotta be the Oldest House, from Control, a game for which whatever reason I don't know, completely flew under my radar since it's launch back in 2019, and I only got a chance to play it very recently.

Without getting into much spoilers, it's a fantastic environment to explore and interact with, that borrows so much to the game's narrative itself.

It completely drifts away from the most typical scenarios / world settings and for that reason it really stood out for me thanks to it's refresh take.

What other settings / scenarios did knock you out of the park recently? I feel that nowadays, most games don't try to take it up a notch when it comes to this, they are pretty similar to each other.
Recently I've been going back to my PS3 library and have found a few in there which were both mesmerizing and relaxing.

Journey - PS3

Ico - PS3 (HD remaster)

From other platforms recently:

Okami - PS2 original release (I'd like to play the remaster for PS4 too)

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If I've been playing newer games a lot, I like to start up a SNES game. Something about the vibrant colors, charming sprites and old synthesized music acts like a time machine for me, and puts me in this nostalgic state of mind. Favorites being Super Metroid or ALTTP.

Banned
Title says it all.

I would also say The Oldest House... such a fucking cool concept.

paparazzo

RDR2 gripped me like nothing else has in 10+ years. I don’t want to start anything else out of fear it won’t be as polished, haha. Finished it months ago but I boot it up every now and then for an hour or so and still find new stuff.

RDR2 gripped me like nothing else has in 10+ years. I don’t want to start anything else out of fear it won’t be as polished, haha. Finished it months ago but I boot it up every now and then for an hour or so and still find new stuff.
I'm playing it for the first time right now, and yeah the world is utterly amazing. I know some are turned off by the pace and animations, and the controls can be rather unintuitive, and certainly take some getting used to. But, man what a world! I'm just lost in the fantasy of being a cowboy. I don't even need the main narrative to be satisfied with all the other stuff on offer. For all their faults, R* sure as hell knows how to build a believable, fascinating and incredible setting. So easy to surrender to fantasy with a world so detailed. I shudder to think of the man hours.

Banned
Upper Latria is fucking amazing in the Demon's Souls remaster

uXPXlf5.png

this 👆 screenshot doesn't do it justice either. playing that on a 55" tv with HDR in a dark room is breathtaking

the whole 3rd world is stunning IMO, including the Prison if you walk around on the outside wall... that shit is so fucking beautiful

Last edited:

Tschumi

Had a glut of these experiences recently...

Kena
Returnal
Demon's Souls remake
Horizon Zero Dawn
Cyberpunk on my new computer
Dishonored 2, average character models, but the world is absolutely gorgeous
Sekiro
Jedi Fallen Order
Tom Clancy's Wildlands (the world not the game)
Assassin's Creed Unity

Of course as with most categories Witcher 3 is the beginning and end of this conversation for me

Game worlds that surprisingly haven't got me yet:
Red Dead Redemption 2
Bloodborne
The last of us
Deathloop... It's just dreary, so far, despite being a flawless elaboration on dishonored 2

Last edited:

Pantz

A Plague Tale: Innocence. All the parts without the rats had beautiful scenery and ambiance. I took my time walking through those parts.

WoodyStare

Going through the Hitman Trilogy right now (just finished the first, currently a few missions into the second) and I’m completely in awe of the level design. Every single mission is meticulously detailed and gorgeous.

Top Bottom