• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the oldest meme you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite

1iNV9.gif

542f35ee340e4658a51e2c4bef615c69.gif

I used to love stick figure fights.

CazTGG

The song was actually a big part of the Meme, IIRC. I was a member on the Gaming-Age forums when this meme exploded and it was because of threads/ posters linking to the original flash file that this derived from. This video is what pushed AYBBTU into the mainstream internet.

Not arguing that it didn't help launch it or Zero Wing into internet infamy, just that the meme itself preceded the song with several images of it on the internet and that being the earliest exposure to said meme coming from.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I had the Where's The Beef? board game.

The one I remember is Mr. T vs. Slayers. Now that I've actually watched Slayers, time to read it again. EDIT: I remember that back in the day, it actually took a pretty long time for each page to load, making the short pages a real pain for me. Anyway, why does the author insist that Lina's enemies keep coming back to life? It was literally just Rezo once, right? And this is years before Evolution-R came out.

Anyway, for me, it has to be All Your Base and O RLY for Internet-wide memes. I actually never encountered the Dancing Baby outside of people complaining about it years later, oddly enough. Other notable ones are Numa Numa and Moskau.

Dali

Probably the one I found the funniest when first introduced to it was "leeroooooooooooy Jenkins!" The girl saying "goddammit Leroy" as though he's done it so much she's just resigned to having it happen from time to time had me in tears.

Never played Wow a moment of my life.

13ruce

Banned
1iNV9.gif

542f35ee340e4658a51e2c4bef615c69.gif

I used to love stick figure fights.

Ah ofcourse i forgot about those the roflcopter and stick figures. In middle school we had a program on the computer named pivot and me and my friends made the most crazy stuff lol. From stick figures jerking off or doing it together to epic super saiyan fights, it was hilarious.

Numa Numa I'd have to say. There are memes before that, like LUEshi, but Numa Numa is the first time I thought "that's a meme" - as far as I recall anyway. If I'm misremembering, Orly Owl is definitely the first.

sphinx

the piano man
exactly what year or how old is O rly Owl?

I remember by the time I was lurking on GAF (2004-2005) it being used a lot.

Tonedeff

Dancing baby and Xiao Xiao are the first I remember if they count. I almost wanted to be an animator to learn how to do those stick figure fights myslef when I was younger

Azzanadra

Didn't know "all your base" was that old... the first meme I identified consciously as being a "meme" was the troll face and the associated phrase, "you mad bro?".

sanstesy

They should put the most dank memes on the Voyager Golden Record to be honest. The information on that thing at present doesn't reflect our race in a good light anymore.

Muffdraul

If we're talking specifically internet, the first one I remember was probably the "I KISS YOU!" guy. 1995 or '96.

If we're talking about meme-ish things in general, I guess the first one I remember seeing everywhere was "Have A Nice Day" with the yellow happy face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom