• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the point of TLOU2? (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Roni

Gold Member
I believe you failed to see my point. It's not only because of what happens. It's a whole mess of poorly writen story and unlikable cast. It's not gritty in a good way. It's uninteresting altogether.

Well, if that's the point you're making, sure... But I could also point you to people who disliked the greatest whatever ever made - in your opinion or not. So that's hardly a worthy approach to this discussion, it leads nowhere.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Some real people just don't wanna see their special pretend people behave this or that way... All I can say is that I'm sorry. Characters serve the story, not the other way around.

Yeah you're not telling me something I don't already know.

The structure and pace of the plot is very deliberate: Joel is randomly killed by a group of strangers out of the blue. This is there to put you into Ellie's mindset: if you were expecting to spend time with Joel (or even play as him) that is denied to the player as it is denied to Ellie. That pretty quickly gets you hating on Abby. So you're all onboard with Ellie getting on a horse and heading for Seattle to help Tommy kill those responsible. Then, during the game's first climax, the game pulls back and says: wanna hear the other side?

You see, this huge woman who killed your beloved character was the daughter of the surgeon Joel killed. She loved her father, looked up to him, loved what he loved (collecting coins, caring for animals, etc...) and wanted to spend the rest of his life with him. But Joel went and murdered him to prevent him from saving mankind. So she has a grudge, just like Ellie has a grudge against Abby now. So, just like Ellie did coming to Seattle, she spent years preparing and looking for Joel to exact revenge. And now, just as Joel's past caught up with him, Abby's past is catching up with her.

The plot's structure and pacing are deliberate here in order to make you understand there's two sides to every conflict. But they don't just want to tell you that, they want you to experience the both sides.

I mean you're explaining the intent behind how it was structured, which we all get. It's just that it didn't work for the people who had issues with the story. Everyone knew what the game was doing when it had Ellie kill that dog, but had Abby pet it. Everyone knew what the game was doing when Ellie was brutally killing Abby's friends, but had Abby being protective of children. It's not subtle, and just not very clever. In fact, it was pretty obviously the direction the story was taking, the moment you realize you were going to play as Abby.

The ideas behind all of this is fine in concept. The problem is in execution it failed for a lot of people. In the hands of a more talented team of writers, maybe they could've pulled it off.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
No one gets what they want in life and no one knows what's around the next corner. Especially in this world they live in. It's how it be. 🤷‍♂️
Holy shit, you gave me an amazing idea for a videogame! We create a cast of characters, make the player attached to them in the first part and then NUKE the place! Why? No one know what's around the corner. It has to be this way. Because of the setting they live in, you know?

In the end of Evangelion, the life in the whole world ceases to exists except for 2 characters. It was divise AF, but it had a reason for it.
In every good story, there is a build and a reason for what happens. I don't think the game, nor anyone here made a compeling point to justify TLOU2 story.

Well, if that's the point you're making, sure... But I could also point you to people who disliked the greatest whatever ever made in your opinion or not. So that's hardly a worthy approach to this discussion, it leads nowhere.
So your point is "people can like everything and dislike everything." It cames down to taste and nothing was wrong with TLOU2. The internet is overreacting.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
She didn't work on the first TLOU...

Are you sure? Well that's embarrassing. I read somewhere that Amy did the story for TLOU1, got fired and Druckmann took over, beginning with the first dlc.

Did druckmann write all the stories? Or am I mistaken Amy for someone else?

Last edited:

Vaelka

The point was that god damn it, Neil just really wanted that zombie polar b... I mean Zebra.
In all seriousness tho, so much in this game is just lazy writing xD. It's the most typical and lazy Hollywood garbage tropes.

Roni

Gold Member
So your point is "people can like everything and dislike everything." It cames down to taste and nothing was wrong with TLOU2. The internet is overreacting.

Pretty much. I certainly think people can like everything and dislike everything... Who am I to tell people what to like or dislike? Also, yeah, as always, the internet IS overreacting. Actually, I'd be very concerned if you didn't believe in "people can like everything and dislike everything".

Everyone knew what the game was doing when it had Ellie kill that dog, but had Abby pet it. Everyone knew what the game was doing when Ellie was brutally killing Abby's friends, but had Abby being protective of children.

The game also showed Abby torturing someone who saved her from certain death, Abby being a dick to Mel (who was also her friend) out of jealousy, and it also showed Ellie playing with childrean, caring for Shimmer, having sex with her loved one etc, etc...

You're making the game look one-sided, which it absolutely isn't.

Are you sure? Well that's embarrassing. I read somewhere that Amy did the story for TLOU1, got fired and Druckmann took over, beginning with the first dlc.

Did druckmann write all the stories? Or am I mistaken Amy for someone else?

All I know is that she didn't work on TLOU, she said it herself in interviews.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This isn't the happy story many people hoped for.

This is the result of Joel's decision.I keep hearing people say, "It wasn't guaranteed that they would make a vaccine."

That still doesn't' change the fact that Ellie was willing to sacrifice herself and Joel lied to her for a reason.

Arelyon

Banned
It's just garbage, I think they just wrote themselves into a corner several times and tried to get out of it in the most retarded ways possible, nothing makes sense history wise and all the characters are awful.

It's basically fanfic wrote by an unstable teenager.

Madflavor

The game also showed Abby torturing someone who saved her from certain death, Abby being a dick to Mel (who was also her friend) out of jealousy, and it also showed Ellie playing with childrean, caring for Shimmer, having sex with her loved one etc, etc...

You should know that's not my intent. I'm stating a couple of things that didn't work for some people.

I hate defending this game, cause I don't particularly like either of the 2, but I feel like the only reason people are lashing out is because 1) they didn't like Joel's fate and 2) the minority pandering. All this narrative analysis seem like a thinly disguised excuse to bash the game for those 2 aforementioned reasons. People are scrutinizing it like they'd do over a masterpiece, when these games have never been particularly deep, they just have a lot more embellishment than your average game because of the focus on emulating a "cinematic experience".

Roni

Gold Member
You should know that's not my intent. I'm stating a couple of things that didn't work for some people.

Well, that's just how the cookie crumbles. I'll repeat myself here: Joel himself tells Ellie in Pittsburgh during the first game that "every battle has a losing side". If you're fighting someone who has a dog, of course you'll be killing the dog while the enemy is petting it.

This is all in service of making the player understand both sides are human, so both sides are capable of causing harm in their quest for personal gratification in hurting someone's who has hurt them.

psorcerer

Banned
But Joel went and murdered him to prevent him from saving mankind.

That's the litmus bullshit test in the whole story.
The fucker was killed because he thought he can play God and decide what's best for "humanity" who can live and who can't.
That's why he was killed. Not randomly.

Faithless83

Banned
I hate defending this game, cause I don't particularly like either of the 2, but I feel like the only reason people are lashing out is because 1) they didn't like Joel's fate and 2) the minority pandering. All this narrative analysis seem like a thinly disguised excuse to bash the game for those 2 aforementioned reasons. People are scrutinizing it like they'd do over a masterpiece, when these games have never been particularly deep, they just have a lot more embellishment than your average game because of the focus on emulating a "cinematic experience".
People are scrutinizing it because they care. The same way they did with Star Wars, the last season of Game of Thrones, the Joker, Captain Marvel and so many others. I bet everyone and their mothers saw Joel's death miles away, we just thought that it would bring something to the table. It was an empty revenge plot, badly written with an unlikeable cast.

What the SJW crowd failed to see is that, the minority pandering didn't mean anything. People were so focused on the disaster that the story is that even if Ellie was straight and Dina was a dude, it wouldn't change the reviews.

Roni

Gold Member
That's the litmus bullshit test in the whole story.
The fucker was killed because he thought he can play God and decide what's best for "humanity" who can live and who can't.
That's why he was killed. Not randomly.

He wasn't killed randomly, but his death isn't openly explained until the end of Ellie's day 2.

Madflavor

That attitude right there is just as bad as the people who are only hating on the game because of the reasons you stated. But you know that's not true. You know that. I'm sure you're not a dumb person, maybe just annoyed which prompted you to type that. But you know in depth reasons are out there, and there out there in plenty.

psorcerer

Banned
He wasn't killed randomly, but his death isn't openly explained until the end of Ellie's day 2.

His death was explained in TLOU.
But now we can see that actually it was not and what we thought was "brilliant writing" in the first game, was just a coincidence.

Roni

Gold Member
His death was explained in TLOU.

Alright, I'll bite. Where exactly was his death explained in the first game?

That attitude right there is just as bad as the people who are only hating on the game because of the reasons you stated.

No, it isn't. Complaining is annoying and can become a bad habit. Our world is saturated with complaining right now and it's exhausting...

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
When Joel said "step away, I'm taking her".
It was even reminded in the first flashback in TLOU2.

There's a difference between what the player knows and what the character knows. It doesn't matter you could figure out it was the Fireflies, Ellie needs to be sure of that so that it register for the plot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Make more money.

The first game sold about 9 million copies on PS3 and then another 9 million as a PS4 remaster. You got 18 million copies of the same game purchased.

Every game studio will force themselves to make a sequel no matter what to cash in.

psorcerer

Banned
There's a difference between what the player knows and what the character knows. It doesn't matter you could figure out it was the Fireflies, Ellie needs to be sure of that so that it register for the plot.

Seems irrelevant to me. Sorry.

Madflavor

No, it isn't. Complaining is annoying and can become a bad habit. Our world is saturated with complaining right now and it's exhausting...

And how is it not a bad habit to dismiss all in depth, legit, and at length criticisms, as "You're just made cause Joel and diversity"? You don't think it's a bad habit to not actually listen to opposing viewpoints? Cause if you're tired of complaining then you need to realize that doing the above, only makes people madder.

Also if we're talking about complaining, then what Cliff Underside basically did there was complaining about the complainers. And I guess I complained about someone complaining about the complainers. Complainception.

Gone

Banned
No. We know now that the writer was all wrong and the epicness of TLOU ethics was just a fluke.
I.e. the scene in TLOU2 where Ellie is mad at Joel for not telling "the truth" automatically makes TLOU 50/100 instead of 97/100.
It's kind of a sad situation actually, when you realize that the praise for the original was undeserved.

I got attacked when I mentioned this back then.. but that Ellie will just believe Joel after "swear to me" thing was stupid as fuck.

Roni

Gold Member
And how is it not a bad habit to dismiss all in depth, legit, and at length criticisms, as "You're just made cause Joel and diversity"?

Well, let's hear them then... But stopping at Ellie kills the dog Abby pets is not very deep.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
I got attacked when I mentioned this back then.. but that Ellie will just believe Joel after "swear to me" thing was stupid as fuck.

The most stupid scene of TLOU2. Really.
You cannot make it worse, even Ellie's motivation for running away to the hospital was unexplained.

Whitecrow

Banned
As I've said many times, the game only exists so Druckman can earn a bunch of badges for innovation and inclusiveness.

The story sucks because Druckman decided that the goal justifies the ways.

Sorry, i dont know how that sentence is in english.

People are scrutinizing it because they care. The same way they did with Star Wars, the last season of Game of Thrones, the Joker, Captain Marvel and so many others. I bet everyone and their mothers saw Joel's death miles away, we just thought that it would bring something to the table. It was an empty revenge plot, badly written with an unlikeable cast.

What the SJW crowd failed to see is that, the minority pandering didn't mean anything. People were so focused on the disaster that the story is that even if Ellie was straight and Dina was a dude, it wouldn't change the reviews.
What makes it such a bad revenge story that it stands below the million other revenge stories in games and movies? you have 2 protagonists who set out looking for revenge, cause a lot of harm and lose everything in the process, but in the end find a reason to keep on living. Seems pretty quintessential to me, nothing special, but nothing so bad it would make me want to tear at my hear. I've seen much better and much worse. Hell, the fact that the protagonists work against each other makes it kind of interesting actually.

And I'm not saying people shouldn't talk or complain about things they care about, I'm saying that in this case they reach a conclusion first and come up with the arguments later. It comes off as grasping at straws to justify their hatred for the game in words that won't sound so shallow to their own ears. If someone said to me they hated this game because of the 2 reasons I mentioned I would completely understand, but all this pretense of intellectualism, this tearing at the game as if its the most tasteless thing since Jack and Jill because of some fundamental, unforgivable narrative flaw just strikes me as phony. It's a bland, cliched, pretentious, but otherwise serviceable story to tie the gameplay and visuals together. Too bad the gameplay ain't all that interesting either, but that's Naughty Dog for you.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was trying to be civil but this thread is another stealth "I'm mad cuz Joel got iced and they used that to launch pad this games story." thread. Just stay mad.

TLOU1: It's about fatherhood :)

TLOU2: Is revenge worth it? No it's not worth it.

I think it's just plebs being plebs and wanted another MCU tier theme park ride in a post apocalyptic world where people can get killed for a tin of beans but aight.

Also I don't think I've ever really praised this game for the "diversity" but death is the one true equality and a lot of these fuckers die.

Humdinger

I think it's to "deconstruct" the characters and, as a part of that, to have the player question his/her moral judgments about the characters.

Oh, and murderous revenge is a bad thing.

ZZZZ

I think it's just plebs being plebs and wanted another MCU tier theme park ride in a post apocalyptic world where people can get killed for a tin of beans but aight.
We do get a ride on a theme park, and visit an aquarium, during the dates between Abby and her hunk. We got some nice dialogues straight out of twilight, it was so touching i cried.

Falcs

Banned
The entire point of it was for Neil to virtue signal.
He is a weak, pathetic man, who feels the desperate need to project how virtuous he is in hopes that it will acquire him pussy.
Quoting from a post I made in another thread before...

"Look how virtuous I am!
I made a game about a lesbian WAMMAN, who has lesbian kissing scenes!
Wow! Much progressive! So representation!

And because it's so SEXIST to have sexy, attractive female characters, I made Ellie who used to be cute, really ugly, and now I have a main FEMALE character who looks like a body building man. Because women are strong!!

Aren't I so progressive?!
I'm not at all sexist or misogynistic or racist. How can I be when I make such a progressive game like this? Huh? Huuh?! Right?? May I have all the vaginas now pls?"

That specific "truth" destroys not only TLOU2 as a good writing, but TLOU as well.
I will say I kinda agree on this. And it hit me with the tape recorder being like “it wouldn’t matter if we found them he was the only surgeon who could manufacture a vaccine” to hammer home that it was really a one shot deal. Which first of all is just plain unrealistic. There is no way there is only one person who is immune, and only one person who could develop a vaccine and that there were no doubts a vaccine could be developed or even actually be produced and distributed and help the human race all that much.

In the first game the fact that it is a little more general about these things allows you to rationalize and argue for Joel. There is a nuance to it. In the second one that’s all gone. And it retroactively does make you think that maybe people were seeing nuance where there wasn’t any intended, thus making the story of the first game very clear cut and less powerful. They righted the ship in some ways. Some of the story was actually good and touching in a non manipulative way - like Ellie and Joel’s flashbacks - but Abby’s story was more engaging than Ellie’s really. And it felt like they made it that way solely so you would try to sympathize with her redemption arc like you did with Joel’s. I honestly was surprised they didn’t make Lev immune, since he seemed to be the Ellie stand in. Either way moving forward I’m assuming they now can do multiple games in the series playing as Abby.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I was trying to be civil but this thread is another stealth "I'm mad cuz Joel got iced and they used that to launch pad this games story." thread. Just stay mad.

TLOU1: It's about fatherhood :)

TLOU2: Is revenge worth it? No it's not worth it.

Also I don't think I've ever really praised this game for the "diversity" but death is the one true equality and a lot of these fuckers die.
I don't agree that it's about fatherhood. IMHO it's about how far would you go to protect someone you love. They developed the bound as a father/daughter but it shows on other characters as well.
I quoted you on what you said, to show you how it doesn't make any sense, but now this is a "I'm mad cuz Joel got iced and they used that to launch pad this games story." thread?
If it fits the world, is enough of a reason to kill the cast in it? If that's not bad writing I don't know what it is.

I am quite happy as almost everyone here is arguing and not fighting about it.

Some real people just don't wanna see their special pretend people behave this or that way... All I can say is that I'm sorry. Characters serve the story, not the other way around.

Yeah, they can too. The existence of complex plots in the halls of fame don't wipe the simple ones from there.

The structure and pace of the plot is very deliberate: Joel is randomly killed by a group of strangers out of the blue. This is there to put you into Ellie's mindset: if you were expecting to spend time with Joel (or even play as him) that is denied to the player as it is denied to Ellie.

That pretty quickly gets you hating on Abby. So you're all onboard with Ellie getting on a horse and heading for Seattle to help Tommy kill those responsible. Then, during the game's first climax, the game pulls back and says: wanna hear the other side?

You see, this huge woman who killed your beloved character was the daughter of the surgeon Joel killed. She loved her father, looked up to him, loved what he loved (collecting coins, caring for animals, etc...) and wanted to spend the rest of his life with him. But Joel went and murdered him to prevent him from saving mankind. So she has a grudge, just like Ellie has a grudge against Abby now. So, just like Ellie did coming to Seattle, she spent years preparing and looking for Joel to exact revenge.

And now, just as Joel's past caught up with him, Abby's past is catching up with her.

The plot's structure and pacing are deliberate here in order to make you understand there's two sides to every conflict. But they don't just want to tell you that, they want you to experience the both sides.
See all of what you wrote is totally true and obvious. But I think that’s what got to me about the story, was that it was so obvious. Like you could see the puppeteer pulling the strings a bit too much. Of course they had Joel’s death as brutal as possible and early and in the most tragic way - they are hoping that you respond with a semblance of the anger Ellie has - that way you can excuse her for basically doing nothing redeeming except look for revenge the next 15 hours. Then you switch to Abby and give her plenty more to do, and essentially copy paste the first games formula onto her story - have it be a redemption arc again etc etc (albeit a bit more shakily done) - then you get her to show mercy to Ellie - then you’ve effectively accomplished the goal of getting people to switch sides as much as possible - go back to Ellie continue to show how much the revenge still consumes her have her hunt down abby set Abby free, beat Abby and then show mercy and cry. Reverting back to a Joel flashback to show she is capable of trying to forgive and that was the last sentiment she expressed to him before he was killed (just to stick the knife in a bit more). Arrives back home, Dina is gone and she no longer has her connection to Joel through the guitar as she can’t even play it anymore due to her two fingers missing (I mean she could actually learn to play well like that, or even switch to left handed but that’s not the goal - the goal is to show that the quest took everything from her and now she is severed completely from who she was in the past.) I didn’t hate the story. But it was just a bit obvious in its manipulations.

Pretty much. I certainly think people can like everything and dislike everything... Who am I to tell people what to like or dislike? Also, yeah, as always, the internet IS overreacting. Actually, I'd be very concerned if you didn't believe in "people can like everything and dislike everything".

All I know is that she didn't work on TLOU, she said it herself in interviews.
Yeah but it was deliberately front loaded (Structured) with good Ellie stuff and Bad Abby stuff, it’s all in the first 2-3 hours. You still play as Ellie till the 15 hour mark - then you switch to Abby and try to undo it. I enjoyed Abby’s sections much more honestly but it wasn’t exactly subtle the way they went about all of it.

Mm, I can tell you in good faith I just expected a better story. I thought the first had a better story by far. Was it simple and straightforward? Yes. But that was also what made it super strong and then you get what was a great sort of ethically debatable ending. The story was the main draw of the game. So the story was important to people for the second, and I read reviews stating this game did things no other videogame did story wise, calling it masterful, lifting up the medium etc - and when you hear stuff like that you tend to go in with a more critical eye than your average videogame.

EDIT: man the more I think about it the more the story kinda falls apart for me. Shame.

Last edited:

alife

This isn't the happy story many people hoped for.

This is the result of Joel's decision.I keep hearing people say, "It wasn't guaranteed that they would make a vaccine."

That still doesn't' change the fact that Ellie was willing to sacrifice herself and Joel lied to her for a reason.
The glaring issue that stood out to me in regards to the moral conundrum presented by Druckmann is that he didn't present a rational justification as to why Joel decided to save Ellie at the end of TLoU in addition to him having grown fond of Ellie. Instead of allowing the audience to draw their own conclusions about what would be possible within a post-apocalyptic setting, he decided for the audience that a cure would've unequivocally resulted from the death of Ellie and thereby took upon himself a misinformed virtuous stance with his deliberation. But using a misguided preconceived notion of Joel being a horrible human being just for the fact that he spared Ellie instead of humanity as the driving force to push the narrative and story progression in TLoU 2 was frankly lazy writing. A cure would not have been guaranteed and Ellie being upset over the loss of her free will in making her own decision relative to self sacrifice was just ridiculous. "Oh, I'm so pissed that I didn't get to sacrifice my life for a lost cause in order to help out a terrorist organization and a monkey for a 'doctor' to maybe concoct a cure just so they can use it as leverage over FEDRA!". Jerry Anderson was ill-equipped and perhaps too inexperienced, and resources are extremely finite in a post-apocalyptic world where everything that constitutes a functioning society is in utter disrepair. Prior experiments and testing with similar subjects to Ellie in the past have failed as well.

i5PYykG.gif

P.S. Jerry was a bitch and if he didn't act like one, perhaps Joel would've spared his life.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But using a misguided preconceived notion of Joel being a horrible human being just for the fact that he spared Ellie instead of humanity as the driving force to push the narrative and story progression in TLoU 2 was frankly lazy writing

Joel is not depicted as a horrible human being. He made a decision that a father (or in this case, a father like figure) would make.

Ellie knew Joel lied and would've sacrificed herself for a cure. People using this, "It was not guaranteed" excuse doesn't work because in the story, it WAS guaranteed.

Joel didn't have to kill the doctors or Marlene. They would have come after Ellie, but Joel killed Marlene to cover his tracks and to hide the truth. He didn't want to see Ellie go, even if she wanted to.

Prior experiments and testing with similar subjects to Ellie in the past have failed as well.

April 28th.
Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

They weren't similar. It was something he has never seen before.

Joel is not depicted as a horrible human being. He made a decision that a father (or in this case, a father like figure) would make.

Ellie knew Joel lied and would've sacrificed herself for a cure. People using this, "It was not guaranteed" excuse doesn't work because in the story, it WAS guaranteed.

Joel didn't have to kill the doctors or Marlene. They would have come after Ellie, but Joel killed Marlene to cover his tracks and to hide the truth. He didn't want to see Ellie go, even if she wanted to.
This is why people are saying it retroactively changes how good they think the first ones writing was - it doesn’t make sense in any world that a cure would actually be guaranteed. I know that’s what they were going for, but if you just apply that logic to anything in the real world it doesn’t hold up. The trifecta of it being guaranteed, Ellie being the only immune person, the surgeon being the only doctor able to do it - just feels lazy. And I’d argue that it was clearer that Joel killed Marlene to keep her from coming after Ellie, since he straight up says that’s why (and he has no reason to lie to Marlene a moment before he shoots her). Add to that his characterization suggests he would certainly give his own life for the cure, and saved Ellie even knowing that it could result in the end of their relationship - that just doesn’t read as “selfish” to me. But yeah we could have debates about this before - now it’s a little harder with the direction they went.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is why people are saying it retroactively changes how good they think the first ones writing was - it doesn’t make sense in any world that a cure would actually be guaranteed. I know that’s what they were going for, but if you just apply that logic to anything in the real world it doesn’t hold up. The trifecta of it being guaranteed, Ellie being the only immune person, the surgeon being the only doctor able to do it - just feels lazy. And I’d argue that it was clearer that Joel killed Marlene to keep her from coming after Ellie, since he straight up says that’s why (and he has no reason to lie to Marlene a moment before he shoots her). Add to that his characterization suggests he would certainly give his own life for the cure, and saved Ellie even knowing that it could result in the end of their relationship - that just doesn’t read as “selfish” to me. But yeah we could have debates about this before - now it’s a little harder with the direction they went.

Here's things you can't change.

- Doctors were going perform surgery on Ellie
- They were going to make a cure.
- Ellie believed Joel lied to her.

No matter how you feel about the story, this was established in the first game and that's the plot they were continuing going into Part II. It doesn't matter if someone believe the changes were slim or that the doctors couldn't actually make one, that's what was depicted in the first game and that's how they wrote it.

People who say this want to make Joel's decision more reasonable with nothing has changed. He didn't save Ellie because he thought the chances were slim, he did it to save Ellie's life. Saying it's an possible task would be like saying Joel fighting an army of fireflies by himself and escaping with Ellie is just as impossible, but that's how the story was written.

alife

They weren't similar. It was something he has never seen before.
Right, I knew that. I meant to word that differently. Prior experiments and testing conducted on patients that they wanted to perform on Ellie had failed. And despite Ellie's unique circumstance, it doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't be scientifically sound to be able to develop a cure with limited resources and the lack of an experienced and trained medical staff. I understand that Druckmann wanted to establish the guarantee of a cure by the end of TLoU but if he'd given the audience a reasonable and realistic perspective in lieu of forcing everyone to accept a rigid plot point, I think TLoU 2 could've had a much more intriguing and climactic story.

TLoU 2 likes to remind the audience that Joel did a bad thing therefore resulting in Ellie distancing herself from Joel and his previous actions have been also used as the justification for Abby's path to revenge. The writers wanted players to empathize with Abby's pain and suffering that was caused by Joel's decisions to kill her father and sparing Ellie instead of humanity. And hence.... falling back on the moral conundrum presented to us at the end of TLoU. It's lazy writing.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Right, I knew that. I meant to word that differently. Prior experiments and testing conducted on patients that they wanted to perform on Ellie had failed. And despite Ellie's unique circumstance, it doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't be scientifically sound to be able to develop a cure with limited resources and the lack of an experienced and trained medical staff. I understand that Druckmann wanted to establish the guarantee of a cure by the end of TLoU but if he'd given the audience a reasonable and realistic perspective in lieu of forcing everyone to accept a rigid plot point, I think TLoU 2 could've had a much more intriguing and climactic story.
The thing is, no one can use this to make Joel's decision appear better.

Raonak

Banned
two broken girls trying to get revenge for their fathers death.

both sides are the "heroes" to their own twisted tales.

Top Bottom