• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the PS5 OS footprint??

RockOn

Well, if the SSD is 825GB, and you only get 667GB to actually use, wouldn't that mean the OS, for all intents and purposes, takes up 158GB? How much of that stays resident in memory at any given time......who knows.
Doesn't work like that. When you format any harddrive you loose space

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is it not possible for a third party to determine this somehow? I’d guess 3gb RAM is reserved minimum but possibly as high as 4?

x@3f*oo_e!

Why don't they use slow DDR3 for OS functions? Why does the OS need GDDR6? Is it cause of the integration and unified memory thing and how difficult it is to program for 2 separate RAM pools?

Using the full 16 GB of GDDR6 for games can make monumental difference in graphics fidelity, and other things.
It's important to remember that the OS is used for games - for example when loading or saving data it's almost certainly via the OS, using an API. idk if other functions like audio etc are done via OS but possibly are. Network access and controllers are almost certainly OS too..

The other reason is cost .. adding an extra DDR channel on the APU die takes space, the extra part adds cost etc etc.

Andodalf

Banned
Is it not possible for a third party to determine this somehow? I’d guess 3gb RAM is reserved minimum but possibly as high as 4?

Devs know it, I guess you're not supposed to share a lot of this sort of information. You'd expect Sony to give a tech briefing at some point. If it was lower than PS4 or Pro I'm sure Sony would be saying so.

Ummm no, its 2021
What I mean is do we really need a 4K UI draining resources from the games? My point is just that we don't spent much time on the UI but on the games themselves.

Mark Cerny told that half of that extra 1GB PS4 PRO had was just for sustaining it's 4K UI...that's a full PS3/360! Look at what developers were able to pull off on seventh generation consoles with only 512 MB avaiable to them!

Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS4 PRO not only enjoyed a boost in resolution but some (not all) of it's textures had an increase in detail thanks to the extra 512 MB avaiable for game usage. If another 512 MB was avaiable (instead of being there just to hold the 4K UI) the textures could be even better.

PS5's 4k UI certainly is much more memory intensive that XSX's and I honestly think that is just a waste of resources considering this generation had a smaller jump when it comes to memory avaiable to games. From my understanding more memory not only impacts texture detail but the image resolution also. So I think MS still made the right call freeing up more memory that Sony did.

Top Bottom