• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst you've felt after killing someone in a game?

TeRey09

When I killed the other guy over Playboy X in GTA 4. I immediately reloaded a save to kill Playboy X.

His name was Dwayne and I felt the exact same way. Killing Playboy on the other hand felt great, I really don't like smug characters like him.. You gain a very good friend siding with Dwayne.

Wasp

MGS3-Screen.jpg
Each time I've played this section the sound of the gun firing has always made me jump. It sounds so loud compared to the volume of the rest of the game.

Talax

Those close up headshots and groin shots in MGS2 with a socom made me feel like vomiting for some reason, I felt so sick of myself. Never used anything other than a tranquilizer after that........

Hydrargyrus

The worst time was once that I couldn't even kill the character...

It was in Fallout 3. I found a child looking for help for some fire ants or something. I was playing with my girlfriend, only showing her the game, but she asked me to kill the child, so I took a stick and ran after him, beating him while he was screaming.

I couldn't kill him because the game did not allow you to do that.

The weirdest thing is that my girlfriend was laughing while I was suffering for doing that. I understand that is a game and you could do what you want, that doesn't mean that you are going to kill children with a stick and enjoy with that, but I don't know, I felt strange doing that.

Bryan_Wilks.jpg

I once wanted to see if I could lasso a dog in RDR. Turns out you could and the dog didn't like it and attacked me... So I killed it. Felt immensely bad afterwards since I love dogs.

I then skinned it... Felt even more bad.

Sif had it coming, self defense. But if there is a game-creature I wanted to kill the least it is Sif.

Colossi are just walking architecture, spawned by a spell, they are more like mindless robots.

Hm, I can't say I remember feeling bad for killing an enemy or NPC in any game, maybe I have forgotten or supressed the memory.

I have never felt bad because whatever it was I did in a game, I probably wanted to do it to some degree. I sometimes feel a little sad when a character dies beyond my control, but not when I'm directly responsible.

It's easier to empathize when you're forced to understand someone's situation-- when that's all you're presented-- not when you can freely choose to act in a game, because you'll most likely choose what you already believe is best, avoiding bad feelings.

Jennings

Handsome Jack: Borderlands 2.

Sure, he was trying to kill me the whole game, and admitted to some pretty heinous crimes, but I felt like we could have been buddies if circumstances had been different. He was funny, charming, and always had something interesting to say. I actually chose not to kill him, but Lilith is such a homicidal maniac she did it herself, taking the choice out of my hands when I hesitated too long.

At least he's coming back in the next installment.

jackal27

Banned
I turned GTA4 off after a mission where you stab a guy to death. The physics made it feel too real back then and I never played the game again.

Gorons in Hyrule Warriors. They're introduced as peaceful creatures and they make a sad noise when taken down.
I had a weird one recently when i played metroid prime 3. I shot a body thinking nothing would happen and it disintegrated. Not sure why that made me feel as bad as I did.
In the last of us (really early on) there's a guy asking for help since rubble fell on top of him.you're forced to shoot him to progress. It's a mercy kill, but it didnt feel good

inky

I once wanted to see if I could lasso a dog in RDR. Turns out you could and the dog didn't like it and attacked me... So I killed it. Felt immensely bad afterwards since I love dogs.

LOL. I killed my horse once during a gun fight... while I was riding it. I skinned him too.

I never really get that into the games but the closest one I can think of is in KOTOR when
in dark side playtrough you can order Zalbar to kill Mission. He refuses and after that you can force persuade him to do it. I was like, damn. I did some horrible shit on dark side playtrough but these were my own party members. After a while Zalbar goes into a rampage for what you did to him and you are forced to kill him too.

Bioshock 1
Andrew Ryan... Man, that scene was incredible. Still felt bad about it.

Nothing else comes to me at the moment...

I actually have done this too. And also if you dislike someone in that game, you can tie them up to your horse and drag them on the ground till they die. We really need red dead 2.

Clegg

Killing Boss in MGS3 was a kick to the stomach. Then Kojima proceeds to break you down even further with Eva's subsequent revelation about the Boss. Then the 'Debriefing' music plays and after that, 'Way to Fall'.

Fuck you Hideo.

ffdgh

Whacka_PMTTYD.png

Paper mario's whacka. Too many hits to the head with the hammer gives him brain damane and kills him eventually...Delicous bumps tho.

barit

TLOU

The final scene
in the hospital before you find Ellie
. Was super upset, grabbed the first soldier from behind, normally just knockin them out but this time I pulled the trigger. Was extremely shocked because I didn't know you can just shoot them in the head and that I really would do it. The whole game I played the most time steahlty and shot only in rare situations. But this time it was all or nothing and I didn't care to be sneaky.
Just wanted to Ellie

Shit was intense and I had to reflect my self a little after the credits roll

KxoZz

walking dead season 2 endgame spoilers:
Kenny :( after i found out what the endings where if i had let him live i felt even worse

The Llama

Thanks for this link. First time seeing it and it's spot-on. Everything Aiden did in the game was cringeworthy. No one makes a loathesome protagonist like Ubisoft.

Yeah, I agree, but tbf I don't think they were trying to make him a normal hero. Hell, there's that scene
after you rescue his sister where she basically calls him out for being a terrible person.
But yeah he's a terrible person.

I just remembered one incident where I was conflicted to some degree even though I had no other choice, it was in PREY
the aliens surgically combine your girlfriend with a biomechanic monstrosity but left her conciousness in tact... so she doesn't want to attack you but is not really in control and you have to kill her. It is still self defense and for the better I believe. Pretty fucked up... I like it!

GTA V mostly because I hated the people I was playing, same as Watch Dogs.
Fire Emblem because I felt like a crappy Tactician...

Jawmuncher

Only time I ever care about killing someone is if it's story related.
Will never feel bad about killing some enemy or character with no real development.
With that said off the top of my head Walking Dead Season 2 definitely fits the bill.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Lucy. I was sort of just pressing the x button and then I just fucking stabbed Lucy, I totally lost my shit. I had no idea why that happened and I thought that if I didn't press X I wouldn't have killed her lol.

By that logic you should never feel sad about a film, because it's not real.
Saying that, I can't say I've ever felt bad, though I used to not kill civilians in GTA because I would feel bad if I did.. I was young though.

I'm with the guy you're responding to. They're different feelings. I feel for characters in a game because of twists and turns in the story and whatnot just like I would in a good film, but never have I actually felt bad, as a person, for actively doing something. I experience games vicariously even when the game tries its best to convince me otherwise.

TLoU.

Right at the end. You have to kill someone for no fucking reason and there should have been an alternative.

I wasn't upset, more pissed at the game designers for being stupid.

Top Bottom