• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's worth importing for PS2?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I know people do this thread all the time for GC (because it needs more games) and never do it for Xbox (nothing to import), but in a general sense I'm wondering what hasn't made it here (the US) from other areas that would be worth trying out with a new modchip.

So far I'm thinking Gregory Horror Show, a Japanese shooter or two and perhaps a Japanese baseball game.

Suggestions? It has to be english speaking friendly or irrelevant.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm trying to find a Japanese system, and that's proving to be a pain. I don't really want a mod or to spend $250 on a slim one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good thread. I JUUUUUST got my HD Loader up and running with a couple of new RPGs (Stella Deus, SMT DDS) and a bunch of CD games that barely run on my crapped out PS2 (Wizardry, Growlanser II, Growlanser III). Now, as I understand it, HD Loader also makes a mod chip unnecessary... so any decent (English friendly only) imports I should be on the lookout for?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Otostaz if you like puzzle games.

For shooters, I'd say to either wait for Mushihime or get Espgaluda. Maybe something like Psyvariar (1, not 2) if Cave shooters aren't for you.

The majority of titles I have are either rpgs, IIDX, puzzle or shooters... most of which have come out here (or are on the way).

Soul4ger

How are the Shinkawa illustrated pre-Meiji beat 'em up games? Fu-un Shinsengumi and Bakumatsu? And how's the Shinsengumi game with the Watsuki character designs? I've been curious about all three.

MrDaravon

dog$, specifically what import puzzle games are good? I'm probably going to get a Swap disc/slidecard for my PS2 in the near future, and my girlfriend wants puzzle games. And what kind of puzzle game is Otostaz? She likes stuff like picross, tetris, etc.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well, lesse.

Otostaz is pretty unique; you lay three different pieces on a grid (tree, water, and land). Building a 1-level house requires a tree and a water piece either kitty-cornered or with a 1-square gap between them. Building a 2-level house requires the same concept with two 1-level houses, all the way up to 6-level towers. As you're building these houses, the entire playfield scrolls right-to-left as if it was on a conveyor; the game ends when the left-most line of the grid has no houses. There's a ton of gameplay modes and puzzles, and the look and music are pretty neat too. SCEI used to have a homepage with movies for it, but I don't think it's around anymore. Either way you can usually find it for $20 or less on eBay and I think it's well worth that price.

I also do like Futari no Fantavision; I thought the original was great and the revision adds a lot of nice features and background improvements. Unless you really like Fantavision I'm not sure if it's worth hunting down, though.

Since I'm a snob, I also prefer Xi Go to Bombastic for the sole reason of the buttons being juxstaposed in the Xi Jumbo mode for the US version.

There's also other puzzle games I haven't played like IQ Final or Cookies & Cream, so maybe someone else has some ideas about them.

jiggle

DQ & FF in Itadaki Street Special
ME0000515511_2.jpg

1464image15oe.jpg

Super Galdelic Hour, it's like Bishi Bashi Special, or one of those shit Nintendo mini-games with the redeeming quality of FAN SERVICE! :p

Actually, if you can find it for $20 it may be worth owning as a novelty. So far as quality goes, only the most die-hard perverts need apply.

Not to mention this is at the time in gaming where there was no ass shading. Or maybe they just wasted every available polygon in Kuma-chan's tits? :lol

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I really really really wish they'd make a Super Galdelic Hour 2. They had so much potential with that game. Those commercials were hilarious.

The problem is that the first game only has like 3 games that are cool; let's throw a bukkake, foxy boxing, and butt-sumo wrestling (which has control that I still cannot figure out). The rest were either tedious or awful; Bubble Pang has to be one of the most retarded mini-games ever made.

Maybe we'll luck out, but it seems the developer of SGH is busy doing Team Ninja's job for them and helping out that Man amongst Men Akari Uchida over at Konami.

IIRC, Butt Sumo involved avoiding the other girl's butt without tipping the balance of the flotilla out of whack; causing you to fall off. So avoid a booty bop, then retaliate with a posterior blow of your own.

I'll have to fire it up tomorrow and unlock some more clothes for Kuma and maybe work on that fox gal. God damn that Pedobear character. >:|

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
European version of Ico is a good import. The game is nicely improved over the US version, not to mention in a much nicer box, especially if you can get the limited edition. It works fine on a US console, and with HDloader with no patches or hacks of any kind (the game supports 60hz output)

Espgaluda
Dodonpachi Dai-Ou jou

Both are Shmups very import friendly
This cannot be overstated. These games are *very* high quality shmpus.

macross.jpg
MAKENSHAO.jpg
POINIESPOIN_F.jpg
SPACEFISHERMAN.jpg

CHOANIKI.jpg
ESPAGALUDA.jpg
GUNBIRD_12.jpg
PS2_SHT_SOLDIVIDEANDDRAGONBLAZE_F.jpg

PS2_SHT_PSYVARIAR_ULTIMATEFINAL_F.jpg
SHIKIGAMINOSHIRO_F_2.jpg
STRIKERS_1945_12.jpg
GODANNAR.jpg

HOKUTONOKEN_SEGAAGES.jpg
VIRTUAFIGHTER_2_SEGAAGES_2500_F.jpg
MOJIBURIBBON_F.jpg
VENUSANDBRAVES.jpg

DISCLAIMER: all of the titles I posted should be purchased as cheaply as possible but all are worth importing for various forms of entertainment :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Espgaluda
Dodonpachi Dai-Ou jou

Those are always recommended, so I will try. Some of the others sound good. Mr_Furious, some of those look intriguing, but I don't know what half of them are. I'm real partial to beat-em ups if it's possible they have some we don't (or won't). Probably not.

Mejilan, I believe the HDLoader does not automatically allow you to play imports.

What are the Beatmania games like?

Red Scarlet

The Japanese PS2 games I have (not that many) are FFX-2, Dragon Quest 5, Kingdom Hearts (was $12), FF10 International, FFX-2 International, and Dragon Quest 8.

I like DQ8, FF10 International (asian version is $20 and in English, compared to the JP version that is $70+ and English or Japanese), and DQ5 the most out of those. If you like FF10 at all, the International version is a great buy, and really inexpensive, to boot. And in English.

Musashi Wins! said:
Mr_Furious, some of those look intriguing, but I don't know what half of them are. I'm real partial to beat-em ups if it's possible they have some we don't (or won't). Probably not.

JOJO.jpg
berserk_F.jpg
GODANNAR.jpg
HOKUTONOKEN_SEGAAGES.jpg

These are fighters/brawlers :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If you're looking for a new 2D fighter to play, I'd recommend Sammy's The Rumblefish. It's got two new characters from The Rumblefish 2, plus the boss fully playable, for a total of 12 fighters, each with plenty of moves and abilities. Fun stuff; much better than I originally thought when I played the game in arcades last year.

rumble_fish.jpg

Haven't played Berserk, but Godanner is a mediocre 3D robot fighter (think stripped-down Tech Romancer), and the Fist of The Northstar game is a "remake" of the Sega Genesis version (I.E. crap). JoJo's is pretty cool though.

TECHNICTIX_F.jpg

This seems kinda silly. Not only would it be nearly impossible to find, but every last song in it is playable in Technic Beat, which can be had for $20 or less in the US.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:
Berserk is awesome...but ummm if you don't read the manga you won't get much out of it.

Hmm. But didn't you tell me everyone said it sucked and that you like it because you love the manga, or was that another game? :)

The End

wait wait

you can play original imports with HL Loader?

hmm...it's not like i'm ever going to play FFXI again...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mejilan, I believe the HDLoader does not automatically allow you to play imports
It does, with a little help of your PC, to transfer game images to a HDD. It's by far the best way to play imports on the PS2. No modding, no opening the console, no knife tricks, and you get faster load times.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The End said:
you can play original imports with HL Loader?

Yeah what's up with this, I was just checking the HDLoader thread and what I saw said you can't.

.hacked

I just ordered myself an import PS2 along with a few games:

ps2-gantz-jap.jpg
ps2-naruto-narutimett-2-jap.jpg
ps2-one-piece-grand-battle-rush-jap.jpg

ps2-transformer-best-jap.jpg
ps2-berserk-jap.jpg
ps2-get-backers-jap.jpg

ps2-mobile-suit-gundam-one-year-war-jap.jpg
ps2-the-rumble-fish-jap.jpg

buying a Japanese system is by far the easiest why to play imports. No crossing the line into pirate country.

The End

Marconelly said:
It does, with a little help of your PC, to transfer game images to a HDD. It's by far the best way to play imports on the PS2. No modding, no opening the console, no knife tricks, and you get faster load times.

i see.

so you have to make a disc image, then burn it on dvd-r? do you have to hack the image at all? (thinks back to non-selfbooting DC ISOs)

RevenantKioku

Marconelly said:

Any documentation on this "little help" ?

dock

Musashi Wins! said:
So far I'm thinking Gregory Horror Show...
I didn't realise Gregory wasn't available in the USA! We have it in the UK of course, so it's probably better to import that, so long as you can cope with PAL video.

Top Bottom