• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with my Pokémon SoulSilver (or 3DS)?

So I recently decided I wanted to restart Pokémon SoulSilver which I haven't touched for a year or so.

Since my DS' hinges are broken (both of them) I thought I give it a go on my 3DS because hey, why not?
So I put the cartridge into it and turn it on.
But on the screen where you select New Game, Continue, etc. this message shows up:
Connection error.

Press the A button to return to the title screen.
(Or something along these lines, I don't know the English message as I have the German version of the game).

I can still erase my save file (which I did) and play normally, but as soon as I save my game and want to continue from the loading screen the same message appears again.

On my regular DS the game works just fine, but as stated above I don't wanna use my regular DS.

So, anyone knows why that is?

(No, I haven't yet contacted Nintendo support)

EDIT:
My guess is now that there's something wrong with DS mode on my 3DS.
The system freezes in DS mode when trying anything Wi-Fi related. It's a soft freeze, meaning that I can escape it via the Home button.

This only applies to DS related Wi-Fi stuff. WLAN and other wireless connection work just fine with 3DS software and apps.

Wichu

So I recently decided I wanted to restart Pokémon SoulSilver which I haven't touched for a year or so.

Since my DS' hinges are broken (both of them) I thought I give it a go on my 3DS because hey, why not?
So I put the cartridge into it and turn it on.
But on the screen where you select New Game, Continue, etc. this message shows up:

(Or something along these lines, I don't know the English message as I have the German version of the game).

I can still erase my save file (which I did) and play normally, but as soon as I save my game and want to continue from the loading screen the same message appears again.

On my regular DS the game works just fine, but as stated above I don't wanna use my regular DS.

So, anyone knows why that is?

(No, I haven't yet contacted Nintendo support)

Have you tried the classic 'take out the cartridge and blow'?

Sounds like a fault with the 3DS if it saves in the normal DS.

I have tried that, yes. The game saves just fine, too.

I cannot continue my game, though.
I see the menu for a split second on the touch screen, then the above quoted message appears on the top screen.

Murrah

Banned
Whenever I've heard of problems with DS games on 3DS, a lot of times people recommend going into the system settings and restoring all the DS settings to their default. I'm on mobile and don't have my 3DS on me so I can't look up exact steps and it sounds like a longshot but you might as well try it

Tried that, didn't work.
But it MAY be related to that.
Just now I tried configuring the Nintendo DS connection settings and the thing seemed to freeze on me, showing no connections at all.

I will try adding one manually and see if that works.

Wichu

Hmm... I think the game does briefly turn on the wireless connection on that screen (to check for a Wii connection from Pokémon Battle Revolution, for example).

You can still save/play normally, right?

Are you willing to format your system memory?

I just tried entering a wireless connection manually, still get the error message.

Wichu said:
Are you willing to format your system memory?

You mean my 3DS' system memory?
No, I sure as hell won't format that, bought too many games on eShop already.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered something!
Is it somehow possible to transfer friendcode data from my regular DS to my 3DS?
I think I read something about that quite a while ago...

Just tried it with Pokémon Diamond. Doesn't work either. I know that this game definitely worked back when I bought my 3DS.

Other DS games work. Tried it with Chrono Trigger, Picross DS and Animal Crossing. They all work fine with no errors whatsoever.

What the hell is going ooooooooon? D:

EDIT: Okay, something is seriously botched with my 3DS' wireless settings for Nintendo DS.
It seems that everytime I try to open a wireless connection in DS mode (be it internet use or DS-to-DS transfer mode) the connection freezes. Not the 3DS itself though, I can still press the Home button to get back to the system menu. But I can't use Download Play with Nintendo DS games, nor can I use internet connections in DS mode.

Something is very very strange here.

-KRS-

Are you sure you've set up the network settings for DS correctly? Because there's a separate settings screen for DS settings on the 3DS, so you need to set up the network for both the 3DS and DS. I guess it shouldn't give you an error just because it's not setup correctly though. That seems weird.

Are you sure you've set up the network settings for DS correctly? Because there's a separate settings screen for DS settings on the 3DS, so you need to set up the network for both the 3DS and DS. I guess it shouldn't give you an error just because it's not setup correctly though. That seems weird.

I know about that.
I tried to set up a wireless connection for Nintendo DS games but I can't because it wouldn't let me. It basically freezes as soon as it tries to establish a wireless connection and I don't know why that is. It's only in DS mode too.

I can use Download play in 3DS mode, I can surf the internet with the integrated browser, I can send and receive letters through Swap Note.

I can do anything in 3DS mode.
I can't do anything in DS mode.

I know about that.
I tried to set up a wireless connection for Nintendo DS games but I can't because it wouldn't let me. It basically freezes as soon as it tries to establish a wireless connection and I don't know why that is. It's only in DS mode too.

I can use Download play in 3DS mode, I can surf the internet with the integrated browser, I can send and receive letters through Swap Note.

I can do anything in 3DS mode.
I can't do anything in DS mode.
Might be something wrong with your 3DS.

Top Bottom