• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your mobile phone history ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorn.

Can't remember the dumbphones so here's smartphones only:

HTC G1 (I think it was called that, first ever Android phone, touchscreen stoppped working a couple months in)

Palm Pre (worst battery life ever but webOS was the shit)

iPhone 4 (legendary phone)

Sony Xperia Z (piece of shit)

iPhone 6 (great phone)

Mr. RPG

iPhone 5
iPhone 7
Google Pixel

I really loved my iPhone 5. It might be the best device I've ever owned. iOS used to be awesome, but Android is just so much better now. I love Android, but it has abysmal app support compared to iOS and I'm not a fan of the boring Pixel design. I'm hoping the next Pixel will have a significant redesign. I didn't have the iPhone 7 for long, but I really loved its stereo speakers and in my opinion, better display.

Lemonte

1. Nokia 3110
nokia_3110-1.jpeg

2. Nokia 3330
nokia-3330-mobiles.jpg

3. Nokia 3650
4425306982_1662fa9671.jpg

4. Nokia 3300
no3300_01.jpg

5. Nokia 6600
nokia-6600-extralarge.jpg

Probably my favorite phone. Sadly I lost it in the woods during camping trip.

6. Nokia 6220c
220px-Nokia_6220_classic_front.jpg

7. ZTE Blade
zte-blade-full-1.jpg

8. Galaxy Note 2
samsung-galaxy-note-2-hardware-screen.jpg

Never realized how many phones I have had until now. My next phone will probably be Oneplus 5 this summer if they don't pump up the price again this year.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
A random Samsung flip phone
A random Samsung slide phone
A random Nokia keyboard phone (C something a rather)
iPhone 3GS
HTC Mozart
HTC 8X
HTC M9
HTC 10

Actually leaning towards maybe going iPhone next.. depending on this years showing.

bd8ce8b74977d42ecd92796200fd517b.jpg

NEC p100 1993 Analog

gh337_01.jpg

Ericsson GH337 1995 Digital

1300431665_4d8303313584d.jpg

Nokia 8110i 1997

ericsson-t18--i211920.jpg

ericsson t18 1999-2000

cy.jpg

ericsson t28s 2000-2001

hard1742.jpg

Siemens SL45 2001-2003

motorolaa920.gif

Motorola A920 2003-2005 (my first smart phone with touch screen)

motorola_a1000_02.jpg

Motorola A1000 2005-2007

s-l1000.jpg

Nokia N95 2007-2009

iphone-3gs-56cc62453df78cfb37a03070.jpg

Apple iPhone 3GS 2009-2011

samsung-galaxy-s-ii-real-ofic-1.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S2 2011-2013

xperia-hero-z-black-1240x840-f535888737995291dfe31cae40a6d99f.jpg

Sony Xperia Z 2014-2017

d1c9e2703085ad3768e3f2ada770eb1c.jpg

Samsung Galaxy s7 edge 2016 (sold it)

329201783846PM_635_samsung_galaxy_s8.jpeg

Coming next week

fist seven phones had an antenna, first 6 phones only had monochrome screens. the SL45 was stolen but I bought one from ebay for next to nothing a week later. Never cracked a screen and only one phone the galaxy s2 seems to have an issue now turning on. Others still work except for batteries being dead.

I remember I had a Motorola pager for a while when I was a teenager. Then my first phone was a Motorola StarTac. A few Nokias including that first water resistant one that was in a case. Later on I had a Blackberry, then a walkman phone, then got a Samsung Galaxy S and have just been upgrading through the S series whenever my contract is up.

I can upgrade for free from Friday so I'm looking at either a Pixel or a S7 Edge. Don't really know much about other Android phones, but it pisses me off how the Samsung phones come with so many apps you can't delete.

Alpende

HTC Desire HD
Nexus 5
LG G3
Lenovo P2.

My Nexus 5 had a cracked screen, the LG G3 just decided to brick itself and now I'm using the Lenovo P2 which I really like. It's not the phone with the best specs but it does what I want, it's fast enough, I don't take a lot of pics, the screen is nice, the expandable storage and huge battery are great.

Keasar

Nokia brick-ish phone.
Nokia flip-phone.
iPhone 3GS.
iPhone 4.

All hand-downs from my parents, so I am glad I haven't so far spent much money at it. :p

NekoFever

Panasonic G520 (c1999)
Nokia 3210
Nokia 3510
Sharp GX20 (adored this phone)
Samsung D900
iPhone 3G
iPhone 4
iPhone 6

Cappa

Banned
NOKIA n gage
Motorola flip phone
Motorola razer
IPhone 3gs
Samsung Galaxy s4
HTC One X
ONE plus one
Motorola Moto 3g
Samsung Galaxy s7 edge

Sordid

Motorola M3788E
Nokia 3310
Samsung E700 (loved this flip phone!)
Samsung D600
Samsung E900
Blackberry Curve 8310 (I think)
HTC Diamond (Windows 6 mobile with a horrible little stick to use for the touch screen)
HTC 7 Pro
Samsung Omnia 7
Nokia Lumia 800
Nokia Lumia 920
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL

Had another few in between but not for long and I can't remember the exact ones �� going for an Android phone next, I've seen an Umidigi Z Pro and it seemed pretty great for a cheap handset. Probably going to go for something like that.

Mindwipe

Nokia 7110 - it was just after the Matrix came out.
Nokia 8210 - so tiny. Fell in a canal while trying to take a girl's phone number.
Some crappy flip Samsung - had a colour screen but holy shit if you think Samsung have bad taste in UI now...
Sony Ericsson K750i - This was pretty nice at the time, decent walkman and camera functions. Got stolen.
Sony Ericsson W810i - was very similar, but with more memory and essentially free at the time.
1st gen iPhone - mobile Safari was a revelation, bought it on launch day. Still have it somewhere.
iPhone 4 - the back of the iPhone 3G/3GS was pig ugly so I was glad I waited. Gave to my ex-wife and she broke it.
iPhone 5 - General performance boost, didn't much like the larger screen but the 4 was struggling and a better camera was needed. Still with my ex-wife as far as I know.
Sony Xperia Z3C - Android was becoming a better OS than iOS at this point, and the device looked great and was pretty small. Power supply failed.
Sony Xperia XA - dirt cheap replacement for the above since it only had to last a few months. Was surprisingly good.
Samsung S8 - as of tomorrow.

Nokia 3310
Motorola Razr
Sony Erricsson something (W810 maybe)
LG Chocolate
HTC Wildfire
HTC One X
HTC One M8
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

I love my S7 edge, probably stick with Samsung next year if the S9 is as good.

Nokia brick
Samsung Blackjack
Samsung Blackjack II
IPhone 3G
Dell Streak
Galaxy Note
Galaxy Note II
Nokia Lumia 1520
Galaxy Note 4
Nokia Lumia 1520
Galaxy Note 7
LG V20 (currently)

Fbh

My first phone was a Siemens M55:
Siemens_M55_Orange.jpg

Loved that phone, I honestly still think it looks cool. I even had the shitty camera you could attach at the bottom. It also lasted for a LONG time, even after I got a new phone my mom kept using this one for years.

Nokia 3220
Camera was better, more features and better performane. Also the whole lights gimmick was kinda cool

Some LG symbian phone.
Can't remeber which one. Got it pretty late when there were already plenty of phones with android. Not muh to say about it, camera was bad, the internet browser was really slow to the point of being almost unusable, even the music had bad sound quality for some reason

Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman
Sony-Ericsson-Live-with-Walkman.jpg

My first proper Smartphone. Awesome phone. Was cheap, had pretty good performance, good battery life and pretty great built in speakers.

Motorla Moto G (gen 1)
Aside from the shit camera this thing was amazing for the price. Performance while doing standard stuff like browsing, using social media and even playing stuff felt just as good as on my current Galaxy S6 .... but at a fraction of the price.

Samsung Galaxy S6

My current phone. Love the screen and camera on this thing. Performance is ok but did kinda dissapoint me at first (as said, it doesn't really feel smoother than my Moto G).
Overall a great phone with 1 big issue: The battery life is shit. I take a 10 minutes bus ride to work and just reading the news during that time will drop the battery to like 85%

Forkball

Prepaid Virgin Mobile phone (monochromatic, had Tetris, couldn't complain)
Nokia flip phone
iPhone 4
iPhone 6

I don't plan on upgrading any time soon as I really enjoy using my current one, but those rumored leaks about the iPhone 8 has me interested.

BigDes

Non smartphones, quite a few ranging from Sony Erikson to Nokia

Only one that stands out was the Philips Savvy, a big plastic brick of a thing that was outdated two years before it was released.

Smartphones

Iphone 3gs
Samsung Galaxy Note
Motorola Moto e
Xiaomi Redmi
Samsung Galaxy S7

S7 is my current phone. I like it, camera is great, storage is great. Screen is good.

Not thinking of a new phone for a year or two.

Herne

1997 - ? Ericsson GA 628

1703526.main_image.jpg

It was pretty bulky but it came with swappable colour faces (mine came with orange). I remember getting a lightning motif one at a later date and it looked like a completely different phone.

? - Ericsson T28s

$_3.JPG

I don't remember much about it, but I think I had two of them after one presumably broke.

? - Motorola V300

motorola-v300-1.jpg

This was a nice little phone.

2005 - ? Motorola E1000

931-one.jpg

Great phone, but the joystick was prone to sticking and the buttons increasingly needed to be pushed very hard.

? - Motorola Razr V3

41X1ME5CWJL.jpg

Another great little phone for it's time. It lasted me for a long time, because I wasn't bothered about getting a smartphone.

2012 - 2014 Motorola Gleam+

198669874_1366005078_o.jpg

When my Razr died I decided I loved the long battery life too much to go for a smartphone, and I had my tablet besides. So I went for this lovely little thing. Still my backup phone.

2014 - 2017 Kingzone K1 Turbo

Original-Kingzone-K1-Turbo-14MP-5-5.jpg

My first smartphone, and a great one it was, too, removing the need to have a tablet. It had a fantastic camera. Towards the end though it was having issues with my sd card for some reason and it would randomly reboot on the rare occasion. Battery life also wasn't great. 8-core Mediatek MT6592 1.6GHz processor, 2GB ram, 16GB storage, 14mp camera, 3G.

2017 - ? Le Eco Le Max 2

LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-Pro-X820-6GB-128GB-Smartphone---Gray-361527-.jpg

My current phone. Bought for a stupidly cheap price given it's specs. Love it so far, only got it a month ago. I very quickly got used to having no app drawer (Le Eco uses it's own EUI). Snapdragon 820 2.15GHz processor, 6GB ram, 128GB UFS2.0 storage, 21mp camera, 4G.

Y-Z

Some weird phone by Bosch
One of the early Sony Walkman's
Qtek STR TRK (Flip windows phone, really cool)
Levi Phone (Yeah the fashion brand)
Blackberry 9700
Sony Xperia S
Blackberry Q10
Blackberry Passport
Blackberry Priv (current phone)

Sordid

http://image4.geekbuying.com/ggo_pic/2016-07-02/LeTV-LeEco-Le-Max-2-Pro-X820-6GB-128GB-Smartphone---Gray-361527-.jpg[IMG]

My current phone. Bought for a stupidly cheap price given it's specs. Love it so far, only got it a month ago. I very quickly got used to having no app drawer (Le Eco uses it's own EUI). Snapdragon 820 2.15GHz processor, 6GB ram, 128GB UFS2.0 storage, 21mp camera, 4G.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't this phone have issues with notifications? I ordered one but cancelled it before they posted it after reading about loads of people having issues. Was kinda gutted because the specs looked awesome for the price.

Herne

Doesn't this phone have issues with notifications? I ordered one but cancelled it before they posted it after reading about loads of people having issues. Was kinda gutted because the specs looked awesome for the price.

I'm so sorry, I didn't see your post until now. It does have some issues, for sure. Le Eco seem to have abandoned it so no Nougat, and many of the unofficial roms have issues like the camera not working. I don't have issues with notifications, possibly that's with the original Chinese rom. I'm using the international rom and it's fine. On a rare occasion it'll for some reason reset it's home and lock screen wallpaper, but that's a quick fix and then it doesn't happen again for ages.

I don't have any other problems with it. It runs everything perfectly well and the camera is surprisingly good - I've seen reviews mention it doesn't autofocus by itself, but mine certainly does. For the price it's an absolute bargain and it'll do me just fine until next year when I'll start saving up for whatever OnePlus or Xiaomi pro phone is out.

mhayes86

I don't recall the brands of my first phones few phones.

My first phone was some thick Nextel flip phone that was also a walkie-talkie, back in 2004 or something.

A Katana or something, which was a thinner flip phone.

Some phone with a slide-out keyboard.

I had a Blackberry in 2010 for about four months.

Traded in the Blackberry for a HTC Evo 4G at launch, which was my first Android.

HTC Evo 4G LTE.

HTC 10, which I have now.

2003: Nokia something
2005: SonyEricsson W600 (Walkman phone)
2006: SonyEricsson K800i (Cybershot phone)
2008: HTC Fuze (Windows Mobile, beta tested to Android Cupcake)
2010: HTC Evo 4G (Android)
2011: HTC Evo 3D (Android)
2012: Galaxy Note 2
2014: Galaxy Note 4
2016: LG V20

My next phone will be whatever from manufacturer still has the balls to include a removable battery and MicroSD slot

Kamaji

2011 ZTE Blade - Total crap. Broke down within 6 months and had major issues before that. Even though most major chinese phone producers are good now i'm basically scarred 4 life.

2011 Xperia Mini Pro - My favourite phone yet. I'm so fucking sad I can't have QWERTY anymore. Also perfect size imho. Unfortunately it didn't survive a 5m accidental drop on hard concrete.

2013 HTC ONE X - Good screen and quite stunning design. Unfortunately it didn't survive the rainy city I lived in.

(late) 2014 - Xperia Z1 Compact - Decent phone I got for like 200$. No major complaints.

2017 - Xperia X - Functional. I mean it doesn't stand out in any way but I got no complaints whatsoever.

dpunk3

(2007) Nokia 6610- first phone, fond memories but it sucked
(2007) LG C1300- it had a mirror on the front?
(2008) Razor V3i- first phone I fell in absolute love with
(2009) LG LX160- real downgrade, hated the thing
(2009) Samsung SPH-M300- I lost this on the bus home for 5 months and found it again after, I guess something of a lucky phone until I jumped into the pool with it
(2010) Sanyo Juno SCP-2700- mom's hand-me-down (all phones before this except the Nokia were also hand-me-downs), no real opinion on it except the keys were so hard to hit
(2011) LG Remarq- another hand me down, no opinion (had it for like 3 months)
(2011) Samsung Seek M350- wouldn't do multitasking, couldn't listen to music and text at the same time, fuck off
(2012) iPhone 4- first iPhone, I loved it
(2013) iPhone 5-bigger, better
(2014) iPhone 6- longest phone I've ever owned (3 years)
(2017) iPhone 7+- let's keep this train goin

cilonen

1996 Ericsson GA 628
1998 Nokia 6110
1999 Motorola CD930 (Mine was bright metallic electric blue!)
2000 /2001 ish Nokia 7110 - I'm sure I still have this in the attic, been meaning to find it for years. I loved this phone, this is the first phone I felt really cool about owning as a status object.
2002 Ericsson T68 - Another classic. The colour screen blew people's minds. Right in the middle of the "we need to make phones as small as possible" war between manufacturers.
2003 Sony Ericsson P800 - the proto-smartphone. It did way more than I wanted or could comprehend at the time, but an incredible piece of mobile technology in 2002. I got bored of carrying a brick around though and traded it for...
2005 Motorola RAZR v3xx
2006 Sony Ericsson K800i - The 3G revolution. This is the phone with the epic camera behind the slide down metal lens cover on the back, another iconic model!
2007 BlackBerry 8800 - back in to smartphone territory. The crackberry era, everyone had one and I wanted in, but the revolution was just around the corner...
2008 iPhone 3G
2010 iPhone 4
2012 iPhone 5
2014 iPhone 6 Plus
Then, on holiday in Japan, I spot this...
2015 Sharp Aquos Crystal 2 - "That bezel is freaking amazing" was my first thought, followed by "maybe I should give android a shot". So I imported an unlocked one, but that bezel design got its hooks in deep which brings us to...
2017 Samsung Galaxy S8+

I still want to find my Nokia 7110 after taking that trip down memory lane!

VanWinkle

Can't remember the first couple of non-smart phones I had so I'll start with my first smartphone.

-HTC Droid Eris
-Galaxy S3
-HTC...ugh I forgot what it was called. But it was a Windows Phone 7. I actually used it for almost a year I think, but I can't remember much about it.
-Whatever the Nexus with the curved body before the Nexus 4 was
-LG G3
-HTC One M8
-Droid Turbo
-Galaxy S8

I also very briefly had some Xperia Play phone I think it was called, where there was a little PlayStation controller that could slide out, and an iPhone 4.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sony Ericsson K800
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
Galaxy S3
Nexus 4
iPhone 6 Plus
Galaxy S7

Probably going back to iPhone with my next phone. But who knows.

The iPhone 4 and 6 were the best phones I've owned, followed by the Samsungs. The Nexus 4 was horrendous...slower than the S3 despite a stock OS and faster processor. It died on me after only a year.

Unfortunately, Android just feels sluggish, and App management is really annoying. I mainly went back to Android because I was tires of Apple's shit (e.g. removing headphone jack) and wanted to test out the Android waters again...but I might go back for the relatively smoother experience and unified apps.

I can't remember what model my first phone was. My parents gave me this old Phillips hand-me-down chunky candybar that was like a brick. I probably could have killed a grown man with that just by chucking it.

After that during my middle school years I was gifted a cheap Samsung flip phone. These were still the pre-iPhone days when flip feature phones dominated the vast majority of the mobile market.

Then what followed was an LG slider phone. I believe it may have been this one (the KF700). At the time that was a respectably large screen size and the novelty of having a touchscreen phone superseded the realisation that I was constantly furiously jabbing away at a resistant touchscreen with very limited functions. It had a cool jog wheel with glowing blue though.

So after that I finally boarded the smartphone train:

- HTC Wildfire S
- LG Nexus 5
- OnePlus 3T

I'm very happy with the OnePlus 3T. Its asking price is still a hefty £400, but I can't complain too much when it's essentially a flagship-level phone that does everything I need and then some. I don't anticipate the need to replace this anytime soon, potential future loss or accident notwithstanding. I certainly don't feel the need to splash out on expensive 2-yr contracts for the latest iPhones or Samsung Galaxies.

DrSlek

Nokia 3330
Slightly upgraded Nokia
Another slightly upgraded Nokia
Some kind of basic Samsung Android phone
iPhone 3gs
Nokia Lumia 800
Nexus 5
Nexus 5X

Now I'm in the Android ecosystem, I cant see myself ever leaving it. Stock Android only though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom