• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your official PS5 and Xbox Series X prediction, on the record......

PS5 - 10.44 - 11.05 TF Navi, 8C/16T Zen 2 3.4GHz, 16GB GDDR6 @ 512 GB/s + 4GB DDR4 or LPDDR4 (for OS background tasks), 1TB internal proprietary SSD @ ~ 6GB/s, 2nd slot for 3rd-party M.2 drive, $499.

**Also highly possible they could be using Samsung 18Gbps chips, or 16GB GDDR6 @ 576GB/s

Launch Titles: Godfall, Madden, FIFA, COD, Battlefield, Demon's Souls Remastered, possibly GT7 (with a FTP, GaaS model), Outriders, etc.

XSX - 12.18 TF Navi, 8C/16T Zen 2 3.6GHz, 24GB GDDR6 @ 672 GB/s, 1TB internal proprietary SSD @ 4GB/s, 2nd slot for 3rd party storage (possibly including CF Express), $499,

**Also highly possible it's a 320-bit bus, not 384-bit. Or, 20GB GDDR6 @ 560 GB/s with 14Gbps chips (or 20GB GDDR6 @ 640 GB/s with 16Gbps chips)

Launch Titles: Halo: Infinite, Forza 8 (with a GaaS model), Madden, FIFA, COD, Battlefield, Bleeding Edge, Outriders, Flight Simulator etc.

BASED ON ALL FOLLOWING (In no particular order, and some more than others IMHO but all at least somewhat):

>Ariel and Oberon GPU benchmarks, steppings, regression tests etc (Komachi, Rogame etc.).​
>ITMedia article (13.8TF Radeon VII equals to about 10.35 - 10.8 TF Navi)​
> Bloomberg article​
> Wired articles​
> XSX APU die shot and educated estimates​
>Github leak posting​
>Oberon clockspeeds​
>PS5 devkit design​
>Devkit rumors​
>Reporting on PS5 cooling prices​
>Insider speculation/rumors for specs, games, features etc. (KleeGameFan, OsirisBlack, HeisenbergFX4, Jason Schreir, Matt)​
>Potential 2019 PS5 launch rumors (and change of plans)​
>Next-gen trailers and footage (Godfall, Project:Mara, Hellblade 2, Halo:Infinite etc.)​
>Die shot technical estimate graphics​
>Linkdin and various next-gen related job profiles and job listings​
>Next gen tech news (Samsung, Phison controllers, etc.)​
>Odd/unexplained Sony departures (Layden, etc.)​
>Vague Sony/MS corporate PR​
>Historical precedents​
>Dependable YT tech analysis channels (Digital Foundry, AdoredTV, Moore's Law Is Dead, NX Gamer, Coreteks, RedGamingTech, etc)​
>System board shots and estimates (particularly to XSX; 3 memory chips to two adjacent sides, four sides to an APU very likely means​
12 memory modules (384-bit bus) , not 8. At very least 10 memory modules (320-bit bus).)​
>Potential future Oberon GPU stepping datamine (would need at least 48CUs active to give PS5 TF numbers listed above)​
>Brand Power and Demand (PS5 could still retail equal to XSX at start and sell out due to demand and software library, but depending​
on XSX and Xcloud gains in certain key markets, PS5 would probably do "soft" price drops in those key markets or push better bundle​
deals to offset any serious momentum swings in those places, if possible)​

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
83 million lifetime sales
51 million lifetime sales

Just out of curiosity, do you see those 51 million sales as a flop, or what? Is something only successful if it’s number one?

I’m just curious, as I see this pop up a lot and i can never quite understand the reason? I mean, the Super Nintendo was 49 million wasn’t it? Was that a flop?

Last edited:

wvnative

PS5 - $500, 1tb SSD, 18GB RAM + 4 for OS, 11.5TF November 20th (Assuming no delay due to corona)

PS5 - $450, 500GB SSD, everything else is the same.

Xbox Series X - $500, 1TB SSD, 24GB RAM, 12.5TF November 13th (Assuming no delay due to corona)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think after reading everyone's posts and considering things, perhaps the cheaper xbox machine will be at $299 or less and actually just be an xbox one x rebranded as the "series s".

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think after reading everyone's posts and considering things, perhaps the cheaper xbox machine will be at $299 or less and actually just be an xbox one x rebranded as the "series s".

No.

$0/month xCloud Free @1080p/60 powered by Series S
$10/month xCloud Full @ 4K/60 powered by Series X
$99 Xbox One S A D @ 1080p/30
$199 Xbox One S @ 1080p/30
$299 Xbox Series S @1080p/60
$399 Xbox One X @ 4K/30
$499 Xbox Series X @ 4K/60

Everything points to Lockhart being their main cloud server. Can't achieve that goal with a rebranded One X that is in no way built for 60 fps or SSD speeds or raytracing. And they don't want to have to put thousands of expensive Series X machines into the cloud that then power free (with digital game purchase) 1080p streams (although there is one rumor that says Series X can play two games at the same time, one locally and one via xCloud, but it's probably bogus).

Just out of curiosity, do you see those 51 million sales as a flop, or what? Is something only successful if it’s number one?

I’m just curious, as I see this pop up a lot and i can never quite understand the reason? I mean, the Super Nintendo was 49 million wasn’t it? Was that a flop?

People'd be crazy to consider SNES a flop, but also the home console market was smaller back then compared to today, which I guess is something to take into consideration.

I'd say if the ecosystem is turning a strong profit for the company, and it's sustainable, it should be viewed as a success. That new Intellivision system for example, could come out and do 5 million LTD. But if it's bringing in strong profits and sustainable, can't see why people wouldn't consider it a success.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best true points, all valid.

To be fair, people see the Xbox as a flop, when the actual reality is more that the PS4 was a runaway success.

It’s like 360/ps3, were they flops because they sold less than the Wii? Yeah it was only 84/87.4/101.63 difference, but does that mean those two consoles lost? I mean, that’s a 17.63 million console difference between the Wii and the 360. Granted not as wide as as the 30-40 million gap between the one and the ps4 mind you.

To me, a flop? That’s the stadia. The Ouya. The things you can ask people about and nobody has one.

That’s a flop.

Last edited:
I expect both consoles to be damn near identical but a few will see small tiny differences and make them out to be HUGE so they can add that and lists of shitty exclusives to wage wars throughout the underworld of forums.

reality: whoever prices the machine the lowest wins. little Timmy's mom doesn't care about 14 sec faster load times, 200 more pixels, some obscure Japanese game 12 people love, chapter 3 dips 2 frames for 3.2 seconds etc.... she just cares that Timmy's gets the fuck out of her face and is content playing fortnite.

woot woot can't wait

But little Timmys aren't early adopters; they come in later during holiday sales and heavy bundle pushes. Price is less of a concern for early adopters, as long as the offering justifies the price.

Both PS5 and XSX will do so, so they shouldn't have trouble selling out/selling very well for about the first year or so just off of launch momentum.

Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens Absolutely, something like Stadia deserves being labeled a flop, if anything. Same goes for Ouya. I have to give both of them credit though for having interesting visions, but Ouya ran out of money. Google can still theoretically turn Stadia around but they are running out time very quickly.

Stuff like the upcoming Atari VCS, it's absolutely fair to call that a flop even if it hasn't launched, because it's just a complete mess of a vision and failed promises.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'll buy almost anything ps5 for the exclusives. Xbox=PC. Not interested in another PC without mods or everything else is doesn't do.

xool

My predictions -

PlayStation 5 - 10.5 TF, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 30 Day PS+ & PSNow trials, November 20th, $500
Xbox Series X - 12TF, 24GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 30 Day Game Pass Ultimate trial, November 6th, $500
Xbox Series S - 4TF, Zen CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Discless, 30 Day Game Pass Ultimate trial, November 6th, $300
mmh that's pretty specific. Bookmarked. Hope you're right.

THE DUCK

I do have to say, I doubt microsoft cares if all the people who have a pc buy an xbox one series x. They will buy a lot of the same games, perhaps subscribe to game pass.
The only downside is the people on this forum will declare ps5 winner as less x series units will sell.

I suppose they will miss out on gold subscribers. Everyone declares sony the winner this gen but xbox has 64 million subscribers vs 34 million sony, not to mention game pass, hard to know if sony actually won terms of net profit.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
this is the current dev kit numbers imo ;)

I think that was the devkit before the latest BGs received the other day. He’ll be testing the new kit out this week and I wouldn’t be surprised if they get close to his hinted target of 13.8 given it has the new cooling mentioned in the Bloomberg article.

PS. Yesterday we received a new black and cold machine (surprisingly very cold literally). Next week will be the time to start using it..

njean777

My prediction is that Xbox will not want to lose the moniker of "most powerful console" so it will probably be both for 500$ but the Xbox will come out a bit stronger, and they will eat the cost and come out the same price as Sony. MS has much more money to eat a loss and recover it in other ways than Sony does.

Both will be 1TB Ssd's
16GB Ram

Not that it matters, but I think more important this gen than last "the ecosystem" will mater to people. I have a lot invested in Xbox this gen and it makes no sense to go to Sony next gen. So Sony I know has a big advantage here though as. a lot of people have PS4's and if they bought a bunch of digital games then why switch to the Xbox, vice versa. Its gonna be interesting this coming gen.

Last edited:
I think that was the devkit before the latest BGs received the other day. He’ll be testing the new kit out this week and I wouldn’t be surprised if they get close to his hinted target of 13.8 given it has the new cooling mentioned in the Bloomberg article.
From what I heard (might be pure bs) ps5 target was never 13 or 13.8 . It was 12.6 but current dev kit (2)is abit lower than that at 12.3

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
mmh that's pretty specific. Bookmarked. Hope you're right.

Me too. :)

One thing I see a lot of people posting is only a 500GB SSD. If that ends up being the case, I don't even see the point. To me, anything less than a 1TB SSD would be disappointing and underwhelming. Cost wise, both Sony/Microsoft are buying them in massive bulk quantities so I don't think an extra 500GB would cost either of them much more.

Me too. :)

One thing I see a lot of people posting is only a 500GB SSD. If that ends up being the case, I don't even see the point. To me, anything less than a 1TB SSD would be disappointing and underwhelming. Cost wise, both Sony/Microsoft are buying them in massive bulk quantities so I don't think an extra 500GB would cost either of them much more.

1 TB SSD with an additional TB standard or hybrid HD for storage/quick swapping would be ideal. I just think it’s gonna look more like 500gigs of the ultra fast functionality and an additional 1.5-2TB of standard storage

I undertand it wouldnt cost that much more for a full TB SSD but with the cooling, actually decent CPU, good GPU, decent RAM alone, I mean every dollar matters, gotta cut any corner you can to stay under 500 bucks

edit

typos damnit

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

PS5:
$449
9.2 TF (36 CU @ 2.0 GHz)
500 GB SSD (with DRAM, 4 GB/s)
16 GB GDDR6
UHD BD drive
+ software based raytracing from LocalRay

XSX:
$499
12.9 TF (56 CU @ 1.8 GHz)
500 GB SSD (DRAM-less, 2 GB/s)
16 GB GDDR6
UHD BD drive
+ exclusive dedicated raytracing cores built with AMD (equivalent of 16 Gigarays)

(and an additional $599 SKU with 1 TB SSD)

XSS:
$299
4.6 TF (20 CU @ 1.8 GHz)
500 GB SSD (DRAM-less, 2 GB/s)
12 GB GDDR6
discless
+ exclusive dedicated raytracing cores built with AMD (equivalent of 6 Gigarays)
PS5 has hardware RT or didn't you read what Sony said?

decisions

I went to play a game in my pc the other night, first steam wanted to update then the rockstar loader crashed, I just gave up, reminded me why consoles are my primary gaming choice.

I know I’m feeding the derail, but this is exactly why I have never touched a gaming PC in my college career. Way too little free time to be tinkering around with launchers, bugs, and console commands for graphical increases that are noticeable for the first 15 mins. of playing before your brain gets used to them.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love tinkering with PCs and learning about them! Just only when I have a bunch of free time. Just putting my game in and having it work nearly every time makes consoles so worth it as a primary choice.

devilNprada

If you're asking me.. I don't see it as a flop at all.
Sales wise I just see the difference in simply being between a US and world market.

If China opens up though it's a much different story. I believe from my own anecdotal experiences Chinese people prefer Xbox.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
My prediction is both PS5 and XSX being 12 flops, one being slightly more powerful

Both having good launch lineups but PS5 titles having the edge visually

XSX does better in the US and UK than this generation but PS5 sells more globally

Bigfroth

PS5 499$ 12tflop ,20gig ram, 1tb SSD
Xbox 499$ 12tflop ,20gig ram ,1tb SSD
Sony will have the faster SSD. 4 gig of ram for OS on both systems.
I plan I getting PS5 regardless of price or performance. The only thing I need the PS5 to be faster than is my PS4 pro and I think it will be.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
PS5
Demon Souls remake
Wild (crossgen)
Project Awakening (crossgen)
Spider-man
God of War
Syphon Filter
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
Horizon
Ape Escape
GT7
Resistance remake
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Sly Cooper
Days Gone 2
Stray's Cross
Supermassive: New IP
Sony Japan: New IP
Housemarque: New IP

XSX
Fable
Perfect Dark
Forza 8
Forza Horizon 5
Gears 6
State of Decay 3
Outer Worlds 2
Kameo 2
Age of Empires
Compulsion: New IP
Mojang: New IP

Last edited:

Banned
One Billion Dollars.gif

I was hoping for more like:

dr-evil-faffillion.jpg

Xbox series X times infinity plus 1, no backsies!

StinkStation 5 smells!

Am I doing this right Xbox guys?

O-N-E :

PS5 - I'll Buy it
Xbox Series X / S - That's what my PC is for.

Entroyp :

PS5 - Will purchase day 1
XsX or whatever - Don’t care I have a PC 🤷🏻‍♂️

3-page thread btw so, uh....yeah....

I mean if people want to do what you're imagining they're doing then whatever, but that's not actually what's been happening. It's been more than respectful for both systems; even those posts I quoted are more tongue-in-cheek if anything.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PS5 - $499
Xbox X - $599
Xbox S - $399

Most Xbox players will buy S, but brag about the X specs on forums (same as this gen after refresh).

PS5 will have a significantly superior games library.

PlayStation will outsell Xbox for the 4th straight generation, but not by quite the same landslide of 2.5 to 1 we saw this gen or the 7 to 1 we saw in the Xbox vs PS2 gen.

Xbox will focus on paid subscription services and games as a service. They'll continue to push quantity over quality. Cheaper made games to pad out GamePass. Sony will continue making bigger, quality single-player games that will be in GOTY contention.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

My prediction: BOTH consoles will have specs the VAST MAJORITY of people and the average customer not only doesn't give a flying shit about, but - moreover - don't even know what they mean. 10 Teraflop power? 12 Teraflop power? The average customer doesn't give a shit about it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

My prediction: BOTH consoles will have specs the VAST MAJORITY of people and the average customer not only doesn't give a flying shit about, but - moreover - don't even know what they mean. 10 Teraflop power? 12 Teraflop power? The average customer doesn't give a shit about it.

I cant disagree with this, and wondering where the limit is. I mean if the vast majority of people dont care, and the publishers supply the older systems with the newest games too since ports are easy, this means 90% of buyers won't upgrade for the better graphics.

It gets even more dicey if things like stadia and xcloud take off, no new consoles needed, period for the casual gamer.

Last edited:
PS5:

GPU: 12.2 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.6GHz
RAM: 18GB GDDR6
HDD: SSD @5.5Gbps
Price: $469

-----------------------------------

Xbox Series X:

GPU: 12.5 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB GDDR6
HDD: SSD @4.4Gbps
Price: $ 479

Both marketed as Premium devices.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Serious prediction since I haven’t posted one yet.

PS5: $499, around 10 TFs, Some crazy fast SSD cache tech, 16 GB of RAM.
XsX: $499, around 11 TFs, 16 GB of RAM, off the shelf SSD with some tweaks (crazy fast though)

Normal people will not be able to tell the difference in games (both will look amazing).
Both will have a very basic (crippled) implementation of Ray-Tracing.
None of the next generation consoles reach 100 million sold (Switch will though).
FFVII part 3 will release on both consoles towards the end of the generation (2026ish).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here, I'm going to do my wannabe cool guy insider writing style:

SeX = US currency = 5 = 49,999 cents

f(x) SeX > 5 by a nickel divided by a dollar of TF

Transaction date = one week b4 turkey eating holiday in country between igloo owners and sombrero wearers

Last edited:
Top Bottom