• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your official PS5 and Xbox Series X prediction, on the record......

My prediction is the SSDs will be nice til you realize only 5-10 next gen games fit on them. My biggest fear is games taking too much space, but here's hoping they actually put some time into compressing files or something.
You only need 5 or 6 games to fit onto the SSD. How often will you be playing more than 5 or 6 games at a time.
I have like 120 games on my external 4TB drive on my PS4 Pro and only loaded 11 of them onto my internal SSD. On that internal SSD i only play around 4 games at most.

Cato

Banned
My prediction is the SSDs will be nice til you realize only 5-10 next gen games fit on them. My biggest fear is games taking too much space, but here's hoping they actually put some time into compressing files or something.

Agree. But as long as you are able to upgrade/replace the HD then is should be all fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Then you'll see the hyprocrisy of gamers and price.

Game console bumped up to $500. Nooooooooo!

Game console kept at $400 with a shit HDD/SSD, so gamers will have to buy an external SSD for $200. Ummm.... ok!

Justin9mm

PS5:

GPU: 12.2 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.6GHz
RAM: 18GB GDDR4
HDD: SSD @5.5Gbps
Price: $469

-----------------------------------

Xbox Series X:

GPU: 12.5 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB GDDR4
HDD: SSD @4.4bGps
Price: $ 479

Both marketed as Premium devices.

I'd love for these specs to be 100% true..

I have this feeling that with all the hype with people and the rumours saying Xbox more powerful etc. I just can't help but feel that I don't think Sony will let that happen!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS5:

GPU: 12.2 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.6GHz
RAM: 18GB GDDR4
HDD: SSD @5.5Gbps
Price: $469

-----------------------------------

Xbox Series X:

GPU: 12.5 TF RDNA 1.5
CPU: @3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB GDDR4
HDD: SSD @4.4bGps
Price: $ 479

Both marketed as Premium devices.
Those seem pretty reasonable to me.

For pricing though, I'd just round up to $499, and ram for both I think has been communicated as GDDR6 already.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

How so? PS5 specs are still fluid whereas SX specs have been firm for quite some time. This is 8GB DDR5 all over again.
I think he is saying from price perspective. Both these next gen consoles will be near identical with tech, they are costing them a lot to make, your not going to see $100 price difference and you are certainly not going to see either console at $399. People are dreaming. It has 1TB SSD in it. Plus with everything else they are packing.. Do you want it for free?

BlackTron

No interest in Xbox? I see how it is. I understand now.

Don’t worry, Sony surely be delivering the cheaper hardware. 🧏

If I'm interested in an Xbox, then I'm a cheapskate who doesn't want to pay. If I'm not interested in Xbox, I'm a cheapskate who wants the lesser PS. Good grief.

I'm saying $699 is too high for anyone to even think of attempting. I don't care whether it's MS, Sony, Nintendo or fucking Tandy.

The Shift

Banned
I think he is saying from price perspective. Both these next gen consoles will be near identical with tech, they are costing them a lot to make, your not going to see $100 price difference and you are certainly not going to see either console at $399. People are dreaming. It has 1TB SSD in it. Plus with everything else they are packing.. Do you want it for free?

I understand that point - I'm speculating that Sony will ship a more powerful console at a bigger loss than Microsoft.

Kazza

I haven't been keeping up with the next gen mega-thread, but here goes anyway:

PS5 9+ terraflops $449
Xbox Series X 12 + terraflops $599
Xbox Series S 5 terraflops $349

Justin9mm

I haven't been keeping up with the next gen mega-thread, but here goes anyway:

PS5 9+ terraflops $449
Xbox Series X 12 + terraflops $599
Xbox Series S 5 terraflops $349
The One X is 6 teraflops, the next gen base model won't be less than that, they're not going to go backwards, it will most likely be the One X re-boxed.

Last edited:

Kazza

The One X is 6 teraflops, the next gen base model won't be less than that, they're not going to go backwards, it will most likely be the One X re-boxed.

From what I've read, Lockhart/Series S is planned to be a 1080p machine, whereas even the original Xbox X that we have now was designed around 4K gaming (albeit mostly at 30 fps due to the anemic Jaguar CPU). I remember watching a Digital Foundry video where they said that both Sony and Xbox want to move away from terraflops as a marketing gimmick, as they feel it doesn't accurately reflect the new power of the next gen consoles (due to the new Ryzen CPUs and SSDs etc). Lockhart could end up as more powerful for someone still using a 1080p TV as the X, despite a lower number of actual terraflops.

I wonder if Xbox will drop the current S and X as soon as the new consoles are announced? Since Sony only seems to be launching one single next gen console, it makes sense for them to keep selling the PS4 as a budget option, but the Lockhart seems to make the S and X obsolete as a lower priced alternative.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
I really like the idea of an additional m.2 slot. IMO that would be the only way either vendor gets away with a 500gb storage base model.

Last edited:
Thank you.
They are packing alot into these new consoles. No way anyone is getting $399 consoles.

PS5 449
XSEX 499

Don't know about TFs, but XSEX will be stronger.
And, it's the first time I consider getting the MS console, since they bought some studios with quirky games under their belt, and I am not such a huge fan of the 3rd person walking sims that Sony stands for these days.

I understand that point - I'm speculating that Sony will ship a more powerful console at a bigger loss than Microsoft.
You have to be kidding. Surely.

You do know that Sony lost a shit ton of money on PS3 with it being damn near $600. Sony lost around 5 Billion dollars on PS3. The worst financial disaster in gaming history. It's well known and easy to come across the information. You'd have to be crazy dumb and stupid to price any of the next gen consoles at the same price level as that of PS3.
Anything north of $499 is asking for trouble. Sony vowed never to repeat the mistake of PS3 pricing again.
You will not see any of these next gen consoles over $499. MS and Sony will rather price below that and eat alot of the costs.

For some reason, I’m just not hyped about PS5 and Series X. Probably because I am disappointed with PS4 and Xbox One.

Compared to last gen, PS4 and Xbox One has LESS quantity and quality games than PS3 and Xbox 360.
Games are becoming ever more expensive to make.
You have not seen any next gen games running on any of the next gen consoles to say you're not hyped for them. I'd rather wait until I've seen something to make that call.
You can expect there to be alot of quality games coming to next gen consoles. These CPUs and SSDs will give developers creative freedom like they've never had before on console sans PC.

yeah, makes sense. The Sony company is in a much better financial position than Microsoft (only a trillion Dollar Company), that's why Sony can easily sell a console at a much bigger loss than Microsoft. Sony can afford it much better than Microsoft. :)

I of course enjoy the fact that xbox is hellbent on having all their exclusives on pc as a pc owner but i gotta say its not a good strategy for getting pc people to invest in a series x. Ive always bought all consoles mostly at launch but im struggling to find the logic to buy xsx at any point. Not to be arrogant but my pc is more powerful than both consoles (i dont need to see the specs) so really it comes down to exclusives. Sad because i love the xbox platform 😔

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Anyone with gamepass especially feels this pain. BEFORE I got gamepass my 1TB HDD on my Xbox One X was full and I constantly had to delete games to install them. Gamepass was too inconvenient so I purchased a 2TB external SSD and it’s already always full.

Because of this I’d rather just buy the games I really like and avoid gamepass. I suppose one could purchase a large stard HDD, but doesn’t that defeat the point of the new SSD speeds?

JAMMA

I of course enjoy the fact that xbox is hellbent on having all their exclusives on pc as a pc owner but i gotta say its not a good strategy for getting pc people to invest in a series x. Ive always bought all consoles mostly at launch but im struggling to find the logic to buy xsx at any point. Not to be arrogant but my pc is more powerful than both consoles (i dont need to see the specs) so really it comes down to exclusives. Sad because i love the xbox platform 😔
I suppose it’s either for convenience or if physical media ownership is important to you. 💿💸

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Games will be MUCH smaller next gen on average. Most of the data today are video files, used to mask loading screens. They become redundant with SSDs. That alone makes games 25 % smaller on average at a minimum. Then there is doubled data. The structure of games today is like this:

GAME
>> LEVEL1
>>>> AUDIO
>>>> MODELS
>>>>TEXTURES
>> LEVEL2
>>>> AUDIO
>>>> MODELS
>>>> TEXTURES

Every level includes all the data that is used in that level, no matter in how many other levels it is used as well. This happens because of slow seek times of HDDs, so you only have to find the content, then load it fully into RAM. With SSDs this process changes. Games will look like this:

GAME
>> AUDIO
>>MODELS
>>TEXTURES
>>LEVEL1
>>LEVEL2

Only the actual differences will have to be stored, basically the level architecture. Everything else is just sourced from the asset folders. The amount of space required for a level (as in a chunk of data loaded to represent that level in RAM) will shrink from around 4 GB today to substantially less than 1 GB. So your average shooter with 10 levels will be 30 GB less in size just because of getting rid of redundant data. Now at the same time the texture resolution increases. So while you may save 30 GB, you will also add half of that because of the larger textures. But the effect will still be very noticeable. Overall I am expecting average game sizes to be around 2/3rd of what we have today. This will not apply to cross gen titles, because they are still built with HDDs in mind - although devs might not care and opt for three minute loading screens with slow seek speeds instead of doing the traditional method. We will see. But overall, 500 GB SSDs should be enough to hold 15 full size next gen games. Considering that the average PS4 owner bought 11 games over seven years, that's totally the expected size of the PS5 SSD.

Cerny: "If you look at a game like Marvel's Spider-Man, there are some pieces of data duplicated 400 times on the hard drive."

Last edited:

JAMMA

Games will be MUCH smaller next gen on average. Most of the data today are video files, used to mask loading screens. They become redundant with SSDs. That alone makes games 25 % smaller on average at a minimum. Then there is doubled data. The structure of games today is like this:

GAME
>> LEVEL1
>>>> AUDIO
>>>> MODELS
>>>>TEXTURES
>> LEVEL2
>>>> AUDIO
>>>> MODELS
>>>> TEXTURES

Every level includes all the data that is used in that level, no matter in how many other levels it is used as well. This happens because of slow seek times of HDDs, so you only have to find the content, then load it fully into RAM. With SSDs this process changes. Games will look like this:

GAME
>> AUDIO
>>MODELS
>>TEXTURES
>>LEVEL1
>>LEVEL2

Only the actual differences will have to be stored, basically the level architecture. Everything else is just sourced from the asset folders. The amount of space required for a level (as in a chunk of data loaded to represent that level in RAM) will shrink from around 4 GB today to substantially less than 1 GB. So your average shooter with 10 levels will be 30 GB less in size just because of getting rid of redundant data. Now at the same time the texture resolution increases. So while you may save 30 GB, you will also add half of that because of the larger textures. But the effect will still be very noticeable. Overall I am expecting average game sizes to be around 2/3rd of what we have today. This will not apply to cross gen titles, because they are still built with HDDs in mind - although devs might not care and opt for three minute loading screens with slow seek speeds instead of doing the traditional method. We will see. But overall, 500 GB SSDs should be enough to hold 15 full size next gen games. Considering that the average PS4 owner bought 11 games over seven years, that's totally the expected size of the PS5 SSD.

Cerny: "If you look at a game like Marvel's Spider-Man, there are some pieces of data duplicated 400 times on the hard drive."

What about crossgen games on Xbox? 😬

I suppose it’s either for convenience or if physical media ownership is important to you. 💿💸
I understand people liking their physical media for ownership reasons and the joy of having a tangible collection but ive been all digital since the beginning of this gen and im comfortable saying migrating a digital library will be something of ease because lets face it there would be a major outrage if people were locked out of their bought goods. I guess if i didnt own a pc the convenience would be a factor as far as price goes but since i do the reasons for owning a xsx have dwindled for me so being a smart consumer for once i think im gonna be a ps5/pc/switch guy unless the full reveal shows me good reasons to buy. Hope they do because id look forward to owning one.

The Shift

Banned
You have to be kidding. Surely.

You do know that Sony lost a shit ton of money on PS3 with it being damn near $600. Sony lost around 5 Billion dollars on PS3. The worst financial disaster in gaming history. It's well known and easy to come across the information. You'd have to be crazy dumb and stupid to price any of the next gen consoles at the same price level as that of PS3.
Anything north of $499 is asking for trouble. Sony vowed never to repeat the mistake of PS3 pricing again.
You will not see any of these next gen consoles over $499. MS and Sony will rather price below that and eat alot of the costs.

yeah, makes sense. The Sony company is in a much better financial position than Microsoft (only a trillion Dollar Company), that's why Sony can easily sell a console at a much bigger loss than Microsoft. Sony can afford it much better than Microsoft. :)

Every Playstation console was initially sold at a loss, some a lot more than others. Given that Playstation is currently the primary consumer facing brand for Sony it could be argued that the company will also sell the PS5 at a loss - possibly a bigger loss than any of the previous Playstation iterations. One of the core pillars of Playstation is to be the most powerful hardware in the console segment, look at threads here and everywhere else regarding PS5 vs SX power speculation - the PR disaster that would ensue if the PS5 is less powerful than the SX would be immense.

Microsoft doesn't particularly care if Playstation outsells Xbox - Xbox consoles are just another endpoint for Game Pass and Digital Sales for them. I personally think they should have exited the console hardware business at the end this generation and published games on all devices.

So I guess what I'm saying is given the runaway success of PS4, Playstation being the prime brand for Sony and the intensely enthusiastic Playstation fanbase Sony more than likely will accept a $100 loss on the PS5.

GymWolf

Realistically

Ps5 around or less than 10 terafuckers, 12gb ram, 400-450 dollars.

Series x around 12 terasuckers, 16 gb ram 500-600 dollars.

My dream

Ps5 600 dollars beast.

Last edited:
But little Timmys aren't early adopters; they come in later during holiday sales and heavy bundle pushes. Price is less of a concern for early adopters, as long as the offering justifies the price.

Both PS5 and XSX will do so, so they shouldn't have trouble selling out/selling very well for about the first year or so just off of launch momentum.

@o'dium Absolutely, something like Stadia deserves being labeled a flop, if anything. Same goes for Ouya. I have to give both of them credit though for having interesting visions, but Ouya ran out of money. Google can still theoretically turn Stadia around but they are running out time very quickly.

Stuff like the upcoming Atari VCS, it's absolutely fair to call that a flop even if it hasn't launched, because it's just a complete mess of a vision and failed promises.
Stadia, Ouya, Vita... I am starting to see a pattern with all those flops :messenger_beaming:

JAMMA

I understand people liking their physical media for ownership reasons and the joy of having a tangible collection but ive been all digital since the beginning of this gen and im comfortable saying migrating a digital library will be something of ease because lets face it there would be a major outrage if people were locked out of their bought goods. I guess if i didnt own a pc the convenience would be a factor as far as price goes but since i do the reasons for owning a xsx have dwindled for me so being a smart consumer for once i think im gonna be a ps5/pc/switch guy unless the full reveal shows me good reasons to buy. Hope they do because id look forward to owning one.
Man, I bought all seasons of Pinball arcade for Xbox One. Pinball arcade lost the licenses for Bally and Williams (practically everything). It’s no longer on the Xbox store or PSN. The company said they’d support customers that lost the data, but now they said to take it up with the console manufacturers for a refund (not happening).

This is no different than Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS3/360/iOS. IPs get traded away, sold, etc. you the consumer own nothing digital. Stay comfortable..... and have backup HDDs because you’re screwed.

Man, I bought all seasons of Pinball arcade for Xbox One. Pinball arcade lost the licenses for Bally and Williams (practically everything). It’s no longer on the Xbox store or PSN. The company said they’d support customers that lost the data, but now they said to take it up with the console manufacturers for a refund (not happening).

This is no different than Marvel vs Capcom 2 on PS3/360/iOS. IPs get traded away, sold, etc. you the consumer own nothing digital. Stay comfortable..... and have backup HDDs because you’re screwed.
have to admit im not super into pinball or whatever bally and williams is so i trust ill be fine as long as my taste doesnt change to “super lame” and “absolute obscurity”.

Last edited:

HolyTruth

Banned
I'd love for these specs to be 100% true..

I have this feeling that with all the hype with people and the rumours saying Xbox more powerful etc. I just can't help but feel that I don't think Sony will let that happen!

Well, they are not 100% true. Xbox Series X will be RDNA 2.0. this is confirmed.

Banned
Series S = Navi 21/23 - 4TF, 500GB SSD, 12GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4 at $400
PS5 = Navi 10 Lite - 9.2TF, 1TB SSD, 16GB GDDR6 at $500
Series X = Navi 21/23 - 12TF, 1TB SSD, 16GB GDDR6 + 4GB DDR4 at $600

what do we get if we win?:messenger_winking_tongue:

1 down, 2 to go... well, at least I have the TF number and architecture right... let's see if the RAM setup turns out that way... at that point on I shall only be known as N0stradamus :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Vitter.

man, I though this was going to be a cool discussion, predicting TERAFLOPS hahah...
PS5 399us GTAVI exclusivity for a year, Rocksteady Game launch window.
Xbox 499us Could surprise everyone and get Kojima Productions if Sony is not doing that already.. I would get a cheap Xbox One X instead for gamepass or build a powerful PC that will run Series X exclusives in 2 years.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Whoever buys GTA exclusivity needs a nice amount of cash. That's like giving up 20 million sales easily, or $1.200.000.000 in revenue. So that is the number you would have to give Take 2 so they don't disappoint their shareholders.

I really think Sony is in some sort of jam here if they indeed have weaker specs. They are wanting to release it at 499 but seeing how the specs of X are higher probably at the same price of 499. Sony would have to lower the price. With cost of components rising they probably don't want to take a huge loss on the system. They will get their die hard and loyal fans to buy it but the mainstream will think twice at that price. Goes against their idea they want to encourage a fast transition. Also a huge unknown is lockhart. MS has been very secretive about the project. What if its slightly weaker than PS5 but a 100 dollars cheaper. Could throw a wrench in Sony's plans as well.

HolyTruth

Banned
Whoever buys GTA exclusivity needs a nice amount of cash. That's like giving up 20 million sales easily, or $1.200.000.000 in revenue. So that is the number you would have to give Take 2 so they don't disappoint their shareholders.

lol whoever truly believes that gta vi will be exclusive for a year needs a doctor.
Maybe exclusive to ESG or something for a year on PC. But not on console.

Bolivar687

Banned
Guessing teraflops is dumb.

1. PS5 won't be more expensive than $449.99.

2. Series X will not be cheaper than $499.99.

3. Microsoft is going to regret the Series S, which will be a disaster that complicates their position.

4. Sony wins again.

Top Bottom