• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When are Citi Bikes Faster than Taxis in New York City?

entremet

Why have taxis gotten slower since 2009?

The biggest slowdowns in taxi travel times happened in 2014 and 2015. The data and regression model have nothing to say about why taxis slowed down so much over that period, though it might be interesting to dig deeper into the data to see if there are specific regions where taxis have fared better or worse since 2009.

Uber usage took off in New York starting in 2014, reaching over 10,000 vehicles dispatched per week by the beginning of 2015. There are certainly people who blame Uber—and other ride-hailing apps like Lyft and Juno—for increasing traffic, but the city’s own 2016 traffic report did not blame Uber for increased congestion.

It’s undoubtedly very hard to do an accurate study measuring ride-hailing’s impact on traffic, and I’m especially wary of people on both sides who have strong interests in blaming or exonerating the ride-hailing companies. Nevertheless, if I had to guess the biggest reasons taxis got particularly slower in 2014 and 2015, I would start with the explosive growth of ride-hailing apps, since the timing looks to align, and the publicly available data shows that they account for tens of thousands of vehicles on the roads.

On the other hand, if ride-hailing were the biggest cause of increased congestion in 2014 and 2015, it doesn’t exactly make sense that taxi travel times have stabilized a bit in 2016 and 2017, because ride-hailing has continued to grow, and while taxi usage continues to shrink, the respective rates of growth and shrinkage are not very different in 2016–17 than they were in 2014–15. One explanation could be that starting in 2016 there was a reduction in other types of vehicles—traditional black cars, private vehicles, etc.—to offset ride-hailing growth, but I have not seen any data to support (or refute) that idea.

There are also those who blame bike lanes for worsening vehicle traffic. Again, different people have strong interests arguing both sides, but it seems like there are more data points arguing that bike lanes do not cause traffic (e.g. here, here, and here) than vice versa. I wasn’t able to find anything about the timing of NYC bike lane construction to see how closely it aligns with the 2014–15 taxi slowdown.

Lots of other factors could have contributed to worsening traffic: commuter-adjusted population growth, subway usage, decaying infrastructure, construction, and presidential residences are just a few that feel like they could be relevant. I don’t know the best way to account for all of them, but it does seem like if you want to get somewhere in New York quickly, it’s increasingly less likely that a car is your best option.

Lots of data here, but very fascinating if you're curious about transportation alternatives.

Also riding bikes in NYC isn't that bad. It's slow, bumper to bumper traffic, not the highway, but for some reason, it's a huge fear for many.

http://toddwschneider.com/posts/taxi-vs-citi-bike-nyc/

Viewt

Walking around in Manhattan, I'd feel way more worried about being hit by a bike messenger than I would by a car. Those guys are fucking nuts.

Infinite

Walking around in Manhattan, I'd feel way more worried about being hit by a bike messenger than I would by a car. Those guys are fucking nuts.
Yeah fuck those guys not respecting the rules of the road and shit. Probably why people are afraid of biking in the city and the fact that drivers hold bikers in contempt generally. Biking in the boroughs suck too, no bike lanes for you.

kingocfs

I used them for the first time in a visit over the weekend, actually. While it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, you really need to keep your wits about you at all times. There's no room for even a small lapse in attention - people everywhere. The Citi Bike app was pretty good at giving me the best bike routes, too.

D.C. is still my favorite city to use a bike in, though.

Top Bottom