• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did Corrinne Yu leave Naughty Dog? (Now lead dev manager of Amazon's Prime Air)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she was basically hired for the Uncharted 4 E3 trailer? Or did she do more?

Wish she was back at 343. How Halo 4 looks that way on 360 is sorcery.

Nothing against you man, but this is EXACTLY the kind of comment made when she left 343.

"welp, halo won't look good ever again LOL"

Halo 4's graphics and engine were a lot more than just the efforts of Corrinne Yu. The engineering/coding team at 343i deserves a lot more credit than they gets.

Dr.Parity

Banned
Last time someone shit on a developers reputation bad things happened.

But considering multiple people are making similar claims along with them not being banned.. I guess there is some truth to them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Incompetence" might be a bit strong but from what I heard she just couldn't hang with some of the other folks technically.
I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

Just want to clear up that a lot of people seem to think she was on rendering/engine work at ND while she was on animation programming.

So all those talents... What are they doing at Amazon?
Corrine Yu isn't in anything gaming related there. She's working on drone based delivery for Prime Members.

Montresor

It was a pretty big deal when she left 343 for ND due to family reasons. Curious why one of the best female programmers in the industry LEAVING the industry wasn't news worthy.

Big loss for the gaming industry :/

She's a female STILL working in the STEM industry and she likely has better pay - turn your frown upside down.

napata

Her LinkedIn says she left Naughty Dog, November 2014.
Joined amazon January 2015.
Big sign up for amazon though.

That's right around the time the Ezran dude made his comment about that she was going to be fired for being incompentent. That and the fact that he wasn't banned seem pretty strong support for his claims.

oti

Banned
Guys, I'm pretty sure she's smarter than almost all of us combined. She knows what she's doing. She left the industry and that's OK.

Shredderi

Most likely got a better offer. Could also have been summoned as a highly paid temp to do some magic to their engine but maybe she was too expensive to keep as a full time employee. Doesn't matter really.

To be clear, I was not trying to start an argument about how she was incompetent or something along these lines, because we have no idea. I just shared that old post because it was made by a Junior member who was not banned and he clearly stated she won't stay for that long.

It doesn't matter much though. She wanted a different job and she received a really great offer too. I am sure she already did most of the work regarding the engine.

Ricky_R

That's right around the time the Ezran dude made his comment about that she was going to be fired for being incompentent. That and the fact that he wasn't banned seem pretty strong support for his claims.

I'm pretty sure he got banned back then. Apparently it wasn't permanetly.

Unless my memory is failing me.

Vire

I'm pretty sure he got banned back then. Apparently it wasn't permanetly.

Unless my memory is failing me.

Juniors cannot receive temporary banns.

Also, this is not a good idea to continue down this path. There's a ton of highly questionable, potentially defaming claims that are unsubstantiated in this thread.

That guy could be utterly full of shit but this was still the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread.

Dr.Parity

Banned
But the FAA banned the whole stupid drone idea didnt they??
I'm completely baffled here.

No they didn't, at least not outright. Amazon is going to/ is lobby(ing) hard for a revision of drone use in FAA regulations, in a few years this stuff is going to be the norm.

Ricky_R

Also, this is not a good idea to continue down this path. There's a ton of highly questionable, potentially defaming claims that are unsubstantiated in this thread.

Actually, I thought so too, but I was corrected by someone recently who said that some juniors have been banned temporarily. Anyway, you're right. It's best to leave that crap alone.

Welfare

All Junior bans are temporary. It's just how long they wait to send Bish some money.

Blizzard

Banned
In general that is true, but I'm almost positive that in some special cases, they have been given temporary bans. The wayback machine doesn't seem to have the thread in question so I have no idea whether that person was ever banned though.

*edit* Beaten sorry.

napata

That guy could be utterly full of shit but this was still the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread.

That's definitely possible. Though wouldn't he have been banned if he couldn't support his claims with the mods? I mean making unsupported claims and pretending you're an insider seem to get you banned rather quickly. The posts that followed his first post seem to indicate this as well.

Anyway I guess it doesn't really matter why she left.

I do not want to thread complain, but I really think her not being at naughty dog has negligible effects on the game's production and has little room for discussion: this industry is filled with tons of talent and we know little of what she did while she was there. Everything is speculation essentially. Plus, some of the stuff people are posting in here seems baseless and it makes me question what someone's motivation would be to defame someone with her pedigree on a message board.

There are reasons why I think people would do it... but I thought we were beyond this this kinda stuff guys.
Either GG'ers or spiteful fanboys who love to hate

Didn't one developer have to reply on GAF based on the bullshit people were talking about in regards to his employment status?

Best not to talk about a persons competence based on highly speculative and unverifiable information. Let alone for a variety of other reasons.

ronswonson3.gif

That is exactly what I have in mind*

*Although I no longer have a shotgun license and will have to make do with a bow and arrow...

TheMAK

Banned
There was a gaffer who predicted this. that she will be quietly retired from get job. Mod were in that thread and ge want banned

Yup I clearly remembered this thread. Dude claimed that she was a fraud that's why 343i silently kicked her out and that ND was just discovering that and was on the way to so the same..looks like he may have been right after all..

Dr.Parity

Banned
How did we miss this?

if she was "canned"

"Hey, it's not working out. No reason to make a big fuss, you were only here for a year or so. Good luck in future endeavors"

If she got an offer and left.

"Hey, I got an amazing offer from another company that I can't refuse. Thanks for everything, cya!"

Either way, there was obviously no need to make a fuss which is why it went so under the radar.

Yup I clearly remembered this thread. Dude claimed that she was a fraud that's why 343i silently kicked her out and that ND was just discovering that and was on the way to so the same..looks like he may have been right after all..

Wait, I don't remember the 343i part of this. She left for family reasons, I never saw anyone say that she was "a fraud".

Also, I really, really think we should try to hold back on such language. Shit like this is damaging and can get people in trouble.

Justified

My thoughts exactly! How did I miss this?

She didnt make a tweet about not programming for PS4 anymore like she did about Windows 8 when she left 343....

Also, I really, really think we should try to hold back on such language. Shit like this is damaging and can get people in trouble.

Why? He was referring to another poster statement who is not banned and said his claims can be verified to the mods. Honest question as to why reference to that should be held back?

I definitely agree personal, and unsubstantiated comments have no place

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah. Honestly, it's less about her performance and more about ND's insane expectations/standards.
ND's also a studio that hires top talent and crunches continually. Not surprised at team members being targeted for other positions at studios where they can be top dog again as well as just general burnout.

At this point I'm not really surprised when anyone leaves ND. Not because ai think there's something wrong, but because there's a lot of factors that will be pulling employees from it.

Basically I've always felt you shouldn't give a fuck... Who cares... Do you care about the name of the guy who cooks your food when you go out? Nope. There are thousands of people involved in making the games we play... It really doesn't matter.

Yeah. Honestly, it's less about her performance and more about ND's insane expectations/standards.
A bit OT but I really love their videos that they put out about working at ND. I have seen two of them so far, and the latest one was focused on programmers at ND. Truly a dream studio but also one with hectic work and expectations.

Flandy

A bit OT but I really love their videos that they put out about working at ND. I have seen two of them so far, and the latest one was focused on programmers at ND. Truly a dream studio but also one with hectic work and expectations.

Got a link? Sounds interesting

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Prime Air Principal Development Manager;am direct report to VP of Science Paul Viola

Seriously guys, in what world does this not sound like a highly prestigious and demanding position for anyone in the field?

That's not a job that people just "fall into"... seems to me much more likely she was head-hunted for the role and offered a very attractive package.

Madness

After GamerGate I don't want to want to be associated with the gaming industry as well.

This has nothing to do with GamerGate, geez man. Let's not have the reasons why she left in this thread. We don't know, it's all speculation and can become at times defamatory.

The big question is she left MS/343i to work at Naughty Dog, her husband I believe also left 343i to join her in California and took a job at Oculus. Now she's back at Amazon in the northwest again. She's a programmer who worked in the gaming industry. Her talents are being put to use at Amazon now. Simple as that.

TheMAK

Banned
if she was "canned"

"Hey, it's not working out. No reason to make a big fuss, you were only here for a year or so. Good luck in future endeavors"

If she got an offer and left.

"Hey, I got an amazing offer from another company that I can't refuse. Thanks for everything, cya!"

Either way, there was obviously no need to make a fuss which is why it went so under the radar.

Wait, I don't remember the 343i part of this. She left for family reasons, I never saw anyone say that she was "a fraud".

Fraud may be a strong word on my part sorry. But here's more of the story

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103909983&postcount=912

Let's just say that she's been riding a false reputation for a long time, and it's largely fueled by the internet's fascination with a "super-smart and hot rocket scientest game developer". Did you know she worked at NASA? Give me a break. Talk with anyone who's worked closely with her and you will hear horror stories of just what a terrible developer she is. She was able to work at MS for so long because she's married to a very competent art director who was on the same team, and I can only assume that they didn't want to lose him. Well guess what? She got fired, he left a few months later, and now here we are picking up the pieces.

Read the Microsoft statement here: http://www.ign.com/wikis/halo-5-guardians/Halo 5 Rumors and Leaks?ign_app_ios=

“While we consider Corrinne Yu a part of our founding family and can’t wait to see where her talent takes her in her new role, we wanted to clarify a repeated misconception, most recently on an IGN podcast. Corrinne worked on a branch of our tools team and did not in fact work on either the Halo 4 or Halo 5 engine or graphics at all. Our current tools team will surely miss her enviable intellect, but we felt it fair to both her and 343 Industries to ensure that the nature of her contributions was not being misrepresented.”

She didn't do anything on Halo 4, but that's basically all they worked on for 3 years. WTF? That doesn't really match up with what she claims to have done. I have a feeling we were duped.

Talk with anyone who's worked closely with her and you will hear horror stories of just what a terrible developer she is. She was able to work at MS for so long because she's married to a very competent art director who was on the same team, and I can only assume that they didn't want to lose him. Well guess what? She got fired, he left a few months later, and now here we are picking up the pieces.
Sounds like GG bullshit.

Edit: Maybe there could be truth but the way it is framed and that particular accusation sends up red flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom