• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did Spiderman get so strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always highly inconsistent, theres tons of examples and scenes where spidey is knocked out by non supers or some thing random hitting him. Or getting hit by a brick and being unconscious for hours and missing one's wedding.....

grimmiq

He easily is. MCU doesnt have that many people around who could compete, everyone uses Gimmicks.

Easily? I haven't kept up on comics as much as I would've liked to, but in terms of pure strength, he's #3 despite Hulk, Red Hulk, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Sentry, Thor, Namor, Juggernaut, Colossus, etc?

EDIT: MCU only? Completely missed that...then yeah, he's probably #3.

Slayven

Probably throw Groot and Drax in the top 5. At least for the good guys.

They nerfed Gamora so hard

2432376-warlockinfinitywatch14_15.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Easily? I haven't kept up on comics as much as I would've liked to, but in terms of pure strength, he's #3 despite Hulk, Red Hulk, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, Sentry, Thor, Namor, Juggernaut, Colossus, etc?

She-Hulk, etc arent in the MCU ;)

If you include all these others characters of course not.

The above old 70-80s newspaper comic, written by Stan Lee himself, gave some idea of Spiderman's strength level. He was... okay, just street level. He cannot flip tanks. Kingpin and Daredevil can give him trouble. This is the Spiderman I remembered as a kid. So the question... when did Spiderman get so strong until he could throw buildings and stop trains?

(repost from Civil War topic)

In any real scenario Peter would drop Matt so quick and easily.

Nakho

Spider-Man is a street level character but not his powers.

asm33-2.jpg

Most of these scenes where it shows his unbelievable power is due to Spider-Man being in a tough spot and getting a sort of adrenalin rush overcoming the hurdle.
There aren't that many situations (at least up to the 90's comics) where he can show his raw strength though.

I love this story. Great Doc Ock fight.

he stopped a whole train in spiderman 2.

people just forget because he's not really fighting anybody who is shown to have incredible physical strength.
I dunno. Goblin formula, Doc Ock's arms, and the Venom symbiote all granted pretty close to equivalent strength if I recall. I'm not gonna touch Sandman, because that's its own beast.
They nerfed Gamora so hard

2432376-warlockinfinitywatch14_15.jpg
I'll never forgive them for how badly they fucked up Ronan.

grimmiq

He didn't get enough chances to show off, but he did crush one of those little robot gun turrets with his bare hands.

True, a big problem is the lackluster villains too, can't show certain characters being absolute monsters when you need to make your C-List villains look strong. I still hope the X-Men and Fantastic 4 movies bomb every time just so we can get some more galactic threats in the MCU.

spideycover4.jpg

He lifts that big thing in the back. In the 1960s.

I remember reading this in Marvel Classics (a collection of editor picked old sagas) and I kinda loved it, specially the last volume.

And that reminds me about this page which always comes to my mind whenever we talk about spider strenght:

2015-05-11_110829_strength1a.jpg

strength2a.jpg

RS4-

That would make sense. Fucking Gamora got the nerf stick so hard.

I guess we're not including minor characters like Lady Sif and the Warriors Three and such.

Probably because she's a woman, right?! But yeah, her not being that strong threw me off too.

I actually don't know how strong the Warriors Three are. I assume Volstagg is probably the strongest of the bunch?

Slayven

I dunno. Goblin formula, Doc Ock's arms, and the Venom symbiote all granted pretty close to equivalent strength if I recall. I'm not gonna touch Sandman, because that's its own beast.

I'll never forgive them for how badly they fucked up Ronan.
Black Panther is a nice apology
What about the time he received Captain Universe's powers?

That doesn't really count since he got it accidentally for a day or so. Anybody would be that strong.

He actually had them for a good while, like almost a year in real time.

Remember when he accidentually punched Joe fixit into orbit

2399946-689872-cosmichulk8_super.jpg

2399947-689873-cosmichulk9_super.jpg

entremet

Is this stuff from the new trailer or something? I haven't watched it.

I thought Spidey being strong was common knowledge by now.

he stopped a whole train in spiderman 2.

people just forget because he's not really fighting anybody who is shown to have incredible physical strength.

People forget? That scene is often brought up to dispute the quality of that movie.
Spider-Man stops a train with strength, but Doc Ock can take his unches to the face without his face turning to mush...even if Spidey is pulling his punches, there's still no bruising

People forget? That scene is often brought up to dispute the quality of that movie.
Spider-Man stops a train with strength, but Doc Ock can take his unches to the face without his face turning to mush...even if Spidey is pulling his punches, there's still no bruising

Bruising/blood might not be something they wanted to get too graphic with.

Simple as that.

bengraven

More like "when did he get so weak?"

He's always meant to have the strength of a spider equivalent to his size, much like Ant-Man. They just de-emphasized his strength over the years. Maybe because he's so small they were worried people would think it looked ridiculous.

But he's strong as fuck. Dude has to hold back to not kill criminals.

Probably because she's a woman, right?! But yeah, her not being that strong threw me off too.

I actually don't know how strong the Warriors Three are. I assume Volstagg is probably the strongest of the bunch?

Well they're Asgardian warriors, and in the MCU we've been shown that an Asgardian like Lorelei who isn't even seasoned in combat is much, much stronger than the average human. I'd assume they're at least around Loki's level, meaning someone like Cap probably couldn't beat them one on one.

grimmiq

Is this stuff from the new trailer or something? I haven't watched it.

I thought Spidey being strong was common knowledge by now.

Pretty much,
In Winter Soldier, Cap gets overpowered by Buckey's metal arm, new trailer Spidey grabs his fist, mid punch, and turns his arm over so he can get a better look with 0 effort.

He got progressively stronger as he aged.

Mostly this. Power creep is a thing, but Parker in the 70s was mid to late teens.

He's about 35 now.

He's reluctant to use his full strength unless the situation is dire, but you could probably place him comfortably in the 20 to 30 ton range. Maybe more in extreme circumstances.

Slayven

More like "when did he get so weak?"

He's always meant to have the strength of a spider equivalent to his size, much like Ant-Man. They just de-emphasized his strength over the years. Maybe because he's so small they were worried people would think it looked ridiculous.

But he's strong as fuck. Dude has to hold back to not kill criminals.

Remember the 90s when pym was jacked for no good reason

ceZPuoa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom