• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you plan to do your taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Are you one of the few who is working on them right now trying to get them out before Valentines day, or are you one of the many who will dive Homer Simpson style under the post office gates when they are do?

kumanoki

I'll fill them out once they mail me my packet. Fortunately, I'm covered by that foreign earned income provision. All money made in Japan up to $80,000 is not taxed. Unfortunately, I have to fill out all the paperwork, including three extra forms, just to let the IRS know that.

Oh, yeah, and Japanese taxes. Ugh.

Tarazet

I've already gotten my three W-2 forms, Dad's apparently waiting for a free afternoon to do his taxes and my taxes both...

AntoneM

this time, ASAP. Last time I put them in the mail at 8:00 pm on April 15. god bless the post office being open late on that day. Plus I'll be getting a huge return this year since I'm not only independant, a student, and made 24k last year

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Phoenix said:
Are you one of the few who is working on them right now trying to get them out before Valentines day, or are you one of the many who will dive Homer Simpson style under the post office gates when they are do?

The former! Who the eff waits to get money!? Waiting on my bank statement to see how much I made on interest last year. Apparently I need to account for that. :|

carpal

Little segway: What's the best easy way to make sure I get the most out of my refund? Just going through the default steps the past two years got me diddly. Even though I didn't make more than 12k, there has too be a way to squeeze more than 50 bucks out of the IRS. Right? ... Wrong? I dunno, I'm jealous of my friends who get back 2-300 and work shittier jobs than I do.

aoi tsuki

Phoenix said:
Valentine's Day has no significance to me, unless my date comes through, which i hope she doesn't. But i totally forgot about taxes. i've filed with Intuit's TurboTax on the Web for the past three or four years. i can whiz through it and be done with my taxes in 30-45 minutes.

SKluck

Banned
http://www.statetaxfreedom.com/

Do your taxes free with turbotax online and efile free if you make under 35k.

I did mine by hand yesterday, mailed it today, took an hour. I didn't know about that site at the time. People blow taxes way out of porportion. I understand if you have stocks and investments and mortgages, kids, etc, but a huge amount of people can do theirs in under an hour.

aoi tsuki

Okay... um... WHAT THE FUCK?

It took all of six minutes and twenty-two seconds from the time i went to the TurboTax page, signed in, and entered all my data.

i owe $413 for my federal and $400 for state (NC)!!

Edit: Just checked a fairly recent paystub and realized that although i claimed exemptions for both, none of my check was withheld. Fuck.

kumanoki

One good thing about living outside of the US is that you learn very quickly how to prepare your own taxes. I've been doing it now for three years, and I've never had any problems. I did once get a letter from the IRS with a circle around a figure that I calculated wrong, but I corrected the error and sent it back with no problems.

Karg

Waiting for my fifth W-2. 2 from my normal job (switched job titles mid-year so for some reason they started me like a new employee), 1 from EB Games, and 2 from Army National Guard (1 for regular monthly drills and 1 for the hurricane call-up I did for a month). Plus I took some classes earlier this year and got married.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I always do my taxes (using TurboTax) as soon as I have all the documentation.

Then, if I am getting a refund, I file right away. If I have to pay, I wait & file at the last minute.

I'm getting refunds for both federal and state, so I'm already done with mine.

AirBrian

They've been done for a week now. I'm just waiting for my brokerage statement (I can't print it from online because I closed my account). Bastards.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Well, I received two Telefile packets in the mail a few weeks ago...one from Missouri where I used to live and one from Kansas where I now live. I've never filed my taxes without Telefile and frankly, I really don't understand the whole process. Instead of taking the time to learn, I just keep putting it off year after year. There's already too much meaningless information clogging up my brain anyway.

Cherubae

Minotauro said:
. I've never filed my taxes without Telefile and frankly, I really don't understand the whole process.

It's really easy to do. Call up the 800 number, enter in the customer code that's been assigned to you, then when you're prompted you type in your data. The phone system tells you what box to look for on your W2. You just type it on your phone and you're done fairly quickly. If I remember correctly there isn't even anything to send in (unless you owe).

I was going to do mine last night buy my phone's battery was dead :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom