• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Nintendo does bring out new TV shows and movies, what do you want to see?

Nintendo during the 90's/early 2000's did do a decent job of bringing their IPs to the world of TV and movie theaters, among those included:

- Pokemon. You all know it, a LONG and still currently running anime, and yearly movie releases by OLM (all are theatrical in Japan, and in at least NA for the first 4/5). Now dubbed by DuArt.
- Various Mario media, from their infamous live-action movie, to the 3 DiC-made TV shows, to a JP-only OVA.
- Kirby Right Back at Ya anime by Nintendo and HAL's Warpstar team. Was dubbed by 4Kids.
- F-Zero GP Legend anime by Ashi Productions. Also dubbed by 4Kids.
- A JP-only Animal Crossing OVA (Taj Productions actually entertained the idea of dubbing it, sadly this never happened).

Am I forgetting anything?

3gsuHbg.png

Never. ;)

Anyway, now it seems Nintendo are looking into getting back in the medium aside from Pokemon. Question here is, what do you want to see?

I'd like to see a Mario film by Disney's Feature Animation Division. I personally always felt Mario and company have a very Disney-esc look and feel to them. And I find that a better choice than the rumored pick being Sony Pictures Animation... if that even happens.

I'd REALLY like to see a sequel to the DKC TV Show by the same people. This must happen! :D

A new Kirby anime would also rock. At the very least, it should be required by law to have Ted Lewis back as Dedede and Escargoon, he made the show as hilarious as it was with his performance, and hopefully they get the same writers and whatnot (preferably both in the original JP version and for the dub, in case both writers made it as good as it was). It's not the best thing ever, but it's still a great show all-in-all.

I know a lot want to see a Splatoon anime, I don't know really what to expect of one honestly. :p

Pokemon actually I think needs a retool. Not a reboot, but a timeskip finally ending Ash's adventure and maybe passing the torch to his eventual son or daughter, rather than the BS formula we've seen for nearly two decades now (Ash wins 8 badges, loses league, restart in a new region with just Pikachu, rinse and repeat. Catching Pokemon is now secondary, so much for "catching them all"...).

Especially with how we're in what I like to call the "Nostalgia Era", I think Nintendo can really benefit with new series and sequels to prior ones alike (DKC and Kirby as said).

What about you guys?

An Earthbound or Mother 3 movie.

My favorite series Fire Emblem is a tough one and I don't see how it could work.

DK is also tough but I would a movie with David wise composing haha.

I feel Starfox would be perfect for tv or movies. It's got the style and characters to make it work.

Live action dark and gritty reboot of the awesome Legend of Zelda cartoon, please! :)

Also shared universe stuff. The more shared universe, the better!

Star fox seems perfect for a TV show or a movie.
I'd love to see them do something Zelda related that's actually good. A Japanese animated movie or something

Always thought a 2D Zelda film by Disney or Ghibli or some other big studio could be great, and Mario seems like a natural fit for a CGI one.

Kid Icarus would work really well as a cartoon given Uprising and its episodic nature, as could Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Life. And Fire Emblem's really growing in stature lately, it'd lend itself well to a story-based anime.

EDIT: THE WONDERFUL 101 SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON

Put Gainax or Trigger or Genndy Tartatovsky behind it and you have absolute gold

Neoxon

• Kid Icarus: Uprising OVA from the guys who do One Punch Man (done by Madhouse), maybe do one for the original Kid Icarus as well.
  • Metroid anime
  • Splatoon animated series or anime
  • Ongoing Fire Emblem anime from the guys who do JoJo (done by David Production)
  • The Wonderful 101 animated series
  • Star Fox animated series
  • Pikmin animated series
  • Animal Crossing animated series
  • Mario animated movie (probably in 3D)
  • Animated Zelda movie (preferably in 2D, but I wouldn't mind 3D)
We already got a Bayonetta animated movie, so there's that (though she is technically Sega).

Fire Emblem Anime would be neat. Of any game. Maybe even a cross-over.

Kid Icarus Anime is a "no duh".

Kirby literally had a decent anime already.

Splatoon could be made into uh... something.

I wish a more TEEN approach of the Pokemon anime existed. I appreciated the Black and White 2 shorts they did, where the action was actually interesting, and it seemed a bit more serious.

Animal Crossing could literally be made into a kids show.

-shrug-. They really have limitless possibilities with their IPs. If they got decent people who actually knew the material before trying to write something for it, I think anything with a Nintendo IP attached could be super.

jwhit28

I think Pikmin seems like the best candidate. Easy to make episodic, defined ending, plenty of life forms, types of Pikmin, and environments to introduce overtime. Seems so easy.

Starfox is another easy one. Set it up like GI Joe.

New Super Mario Bros. Super Show

- Various Mario media, from their infamous live-action movie, to the 3 DiC-made TV shows, to a JP-only OVA.

It was actually a theatrical film (Operation to Rescue Princess Peach!!), but there were three short OVAs modeled after SMB3 that adapted fairy tales with Mario characters, and also some SMW "choose the right path" anime-game thing for an obscure console.

Splatoon anime, definitely. Hopefully its very slice of life-esque, with the occasional paint battle every 3 episodes or so. No big bad or anything, goal should be to win the tournament, or the championship ect.

I'd love to see an 11 minute Saturday morning F-Zero cartoon on Cartoon Network. I feel like CN Studios could do the show justice, and the only thing I'd hope for is a morr detailed art style, I'd be disappointed if the show looked like Adventure Time or something. Something on the level of The Legend of Korra would be god tier

Mario animated feature? That seems risky... It would be tough to do right, but Id love to see a great adaption. Also, I doubt Disney would do it, they've only ever adopted works that were in the public domain (Cinderella) or from properties they already owned (Big Hero 6).I don't know if any other studio could do it.

Legend of Zelda Netflix Drama- Very Game of Thrones like, I was inspired by that rumor a couple of months back. If this was done, Link would have to speak. I wouldn't mind. Hopefully it would cover Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - and some sort of new third arc. Could be amazing.

That is all I have

TreIII

And here, I just want a translated version of the Super Mario Kun manga!
3AQmK.gif

But seriously...ongoing serial comics or tv shows for the likes of Star Fox, Metroid and/or Fire Emblem would be the things I'd most like to see. Fire Emblem would be expected, considering its resurgence in popularity. But I think things like this for StarFox and Metroid would be a great thing to help promote their games, as well as "grow" the worlds, for those like me who actually enjoyed how the stories developed from game to game.

JoeM86

Pokemon actually I think needs a retool. Not a reboot, but a timeskip finally ending Ash's adventure and maybe passing the torch to his eventual son or daughter, rather than the BS formula we've seen for nearly two decades now (Ash wins 8 badges, loses league, restart in a new region with just Pikachu, rinse and repeat. Catching Pokemon is now secondary, so much for "catching them all"...).

To be fair:

1. We'd end up with the same formula, just a different character
2. Gotta Catch 'em All is a western catchphrase, not Japanese.

The anime gets retooled each generation. XY and XY & Z are massively different to what has come before. There's no need for a time skip.

Legend of Zelda Netflix Drama- Very Game of Thrones like, I was inspired by that rumor a couple of months back. If this was done, Link would have to speak. I wouldn't mind. Hopefully it would cover Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask - and some sort of new third arc. Could be amazing.

You mean literally make it nothing like Zelda? Why did people even believe that rumor..

The Legend of Zelda animated series with Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko (Avatar, Korra) as showrunners.

Metroid action/horror series backed by premium network (HBO, Netflix, etc). Maybe Alex Garland (28 Days/Weeks Later, Sunshine, Dredd, Ex Machina) as a showrunner.

Making a Zeld series would be tough because they gotta find a voice for Link...unless they have a Navi that speaks for him.

I want a Wind Waker movie or TV show, it the most charming of the Zelda games and it would be a great start with its opening. It tells the ledgend and plays the Legendary Hero theme. So good.

1. Animated shorts featuring Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. I feel like there is alot of potentially funny situations with there being 3 games now getting a 4th.

2. On the topic of animated shorts; WarioWare was made for this.

3. More Kirby would be nice of course.

4. Punch-Out!! movie made by Pixar.

5. Did Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon get a special? If not, I need that.

1. Animated shorts featuring Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. I feel like there is alot of potentially funny situations with there being 3 games now getting a 4th.

2. On the topic of animated shorts; WarioWare was made for this.

3. More Kirby would be nice of course.

4. Punch-Out!! movie made by Pixar.

Pokemon Myster Dungeon series should get one. Damn those stories hit me hard back in the day

Where is this coming forming from?

Aside from numerous rumors and supposed leaks, Iwata said this back in June 26th ( :'( ):

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/150626qa/04.html

(Q&A 11):

This answer overlaps with what I discussed in my answer about IP utilization earlier, but it would be a stretch to say that Nintendo was proactive in making merchandise in the past. We have been discussing internally that we should be more proactive, and it is imperative that we establish a global structure to deploy such business all around the world. As a large proportion of our sales come from outside Japan, we have various ideas in mind for collaboration on the character licensing business across Japan, North America and Europe. And this expansion won’t be limited to merchandise; it may take various forms including, for example, images or even movies or TV programs. Even though I am not sure of the actual forms, it is safe to say that in addition to profitable licensing businesses, Nintendo will take risks we believe are worthwhile. On the other hand, not a small number of businesses have ended up with a pile of leftover stock after a particular product’s short-lived period of popularity. It would surely ruin the value of Nintendo IP and would not enhance corporate value over the long term if we chose this path. Therefore, I would like to recap that our current plan is not to simply increase the number of proposals but to be more proactive than in the past by making appropriate decisions that will enhance our overall corporate value over the long term.

JoeM86

There have been several shorts.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out of the Gate (Red & Blue) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOmQ-foqeg
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0PlwsTLoM0
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky—Beyond Time and Darkness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wGtHkCY0Y
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbwSAruo3QU
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity (Part 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEydP84LUEA

SalvaPot

I just realized the deal with Sony Pictures means we can get a Nintendo movie made by the guy who did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Perfect fit.

I just realized the deal with Sony Pictures means we can get a Nintendo movie made by the guy who did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Perfect fit.

That would be Christopher Miller and Phil Lord. They also did The LEGO Movie and the 21 Jump Street reboot.

They're great.

Nanashrew

Banned
New Super Mario Bros. Super Show

It was actually a theatrical film (Operation to Rescue Princess Peach!!), but there were three short OVAs modeled after SMB3 that adapted fairy tales with Mario characters, and also some SMW "choose the right path" anime-game thing for an obscure console.

I watched that OVA that adapted fairy tales recently. I got to see the true origin story of Mario's birth.

Xenoblade Chronicles X series in the vein of Gundam 0079.

You get me!

AndrewPL

The thing with Mario that worries me is his voice, he doesn't talk much in the game but if he is in a tv show or movie it could get annoying, same with peach.

I'd love to see a metroid movie, it's a perfect fit.

I'd also like a star Fox movie or tv show, I always thought it was like star wars as a kid.

FZero would be a good tv show, like speed racer.

Earthbound or Pikmin in the style of a disney movie would be cool.

Nanashrew

Banned
Mama Peach! So are Mario and Bowser Jr. siblings... o_O

PIcs are from different scenes actually. Mario is tiny and wants to see the world and gets permission from his papa (who wears Wario's colors) to do so, and then rides on a lily pad down a river towards a city and that's where he meets Peach. He's armed with just a sewing needle for a sword to defend himself from all the dangers.

Pokemaniac

Off the top of my head, The Wonderful 101 and Kid Icarus both could really use animes. I also definitely wouldn't be opposed to one that continues the story of Xenoblade X, assuming that the next game won't be a direct follow-up again.

Also, Splatoon could probably be adapted pretty well into a cartoon.

Riki

Now that Genndy Tartakovsky is doing shows again (New Samurai Jack!!!!!!) He needs to work on a Metroid cartoon. It would be perfection.

Kid Icarus anime needs to happen, surprised Nintendo hasn't done it considering all the promotional shares they did for Uprising and the smash reveal

The most obvious brand to make into a live action property:

YD8L6F6.jpg

The world has never been more ready than it is now, let the feudal Japan pinball epic commence!

Top Bottom