• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where in the hell is the Pikmin team at?

Amir0x

Banned
AdmiralViscen: Is this one of those things where we both act stubborn and pretend it's the other person not ending things, even in the process of writing another post about it?

Gigglepoo: I actually think Pikmin would work well with the wiimote. I mean functionally you could move Olimar around with the nunchuck... but pointing and guiding the Pikmin around would probably be much easier with pointer control

I'm not the one continuing to call the other guy names, Amir0x. Just pointing out who's behind the wheel.

Actually, the worst I said about you was that your schtick was tired. You told me to grow balls and stop crying. Bravo to you, sir.

Gigglepoo said:
I don't see it that way.

At its heart, Pikmin is a real time strategy game. In theory, RTS should explode on the Wii. A standard controller can be clunky, but a Wiimote should make the experience comparable to a PC RTS, right? You could circle the troops you'd like to use and order them to a specific point on the map with just a flick of your wrist. It should work beautifully, right?

But Pikmin is not a typical RTS. It was one made for the console word, made specifically for the Gamecube controller. The story even ties in to the already established control. You play as Olimar (is that his name...?) and are eliciting the help of these adorable, indigenous creatures. You get their attention by blowing a whistle and than point where they should go.

This is not a RTS where you control an invisible god. You are on the surface with your troops and are manually directing them. You blow your whistle and point to where they should go. I do not see how this would be improved with the Wiimote. Yes, it could function, but would it actually be a better experience? I doubt it.

Why couldn't it work? The Wiimote is no more abstract than an analog stick when it comes to embodying Olimar. It'll make for more precise controls, maybe some more complex commands. I think it'll at least be a perfect adaptation (better than say, Zelda), even if it's not some revolution in the series.

Gigglepoo said:
I don't see it that way.

At its heart, Pikmin is a real time strategy game. In theory, RTS should explode on the Wii. A standard controller can be clunky, but a Wiimote should make the experience comparable to a PC RTS, right? You could circle the troops you'd like to use and order them to a specific point on the map with just a flick of your wrist. It should work beautifully, right?

But Pikmin is not a typical RTS. It was one made for the console word, made specifically for the Gamecube controller. The story even ties in to the already established control. You play as Olimar (is that his name...?) and are eliciting the help of these adorable, indigenous creatures. You get their attention by blowing a whistle and than point where they should go.

This is not a RTS where you control an invisible god. You are on the surface with your troops and are manually directing them. You blow your whistle and point to where they should go. I do not see how this would be improved with the Wiimote. Yes, it could function, but would it actually be a better experience? I doubt it.

Wiimote control wouldn't revolutionize the game, but it would undoubtedly make it better. Move Olimar with the analog stick, whistle with C or Z to call Pikmin around you, select Pikmin with the pointer and point where you want them to go or where you want to throw them. Guide selected groups of Pikmin with the D-Pad or just point and click A to send them away. Would work very well and much smoother than with a standard control pad.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
baby-crying.jpg

datruth29

Amir0x said:
Gigglepoo: I actually think Pikmin would work well with the wiimote. I mean functionally you could move Olimar around with the nunchuck... but pointing and guiding the Pikmin around would probably be much easier with pointer control
I don't know. I have a feeling its one of those things where us as gamers picture and have this tendency to say "Oh this is a great idea". But as far as implementation it might be a different story. For an example, you could look at the FPS genre and how the games have been implemented on Wii. But then again, if anybody can take a control scheme and make it the standard for developers to follow its Nintendo. Hopefully this will be the case with MP3. Either way, I just really want to hear something. Maybe GDC???

Actually, with Olimar's limited range in calling and throwing Pikmin, I wonder how well it'd work... There'd need to be some changes.

Amir0x

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Actually, the worst I said about you was that your schtick was tired. You told me to grow balls and stop crying. Bravo to you, sir.

I didn't say you said anything bad at all, all I said is that you were crying and thrashing a lot, so you should grow balls. Which you should! I'm not sure how that amounts to name calling, because it just means you need to stop taking shit so seriously.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Wiimote control wouldn't revolutionize the game, but it would undoubtedly make it better. Move Olimar with the analog stick, whistle with C or Z to call Pikmin around you, select Pikmin with the pointer and point where you want them to go or where you want to throw them. Guide selected groups of Pikmin with the D-Pad or just point and click A to send them away. Would work very well and much smoother than with a standard control pad.

Yeah. And besides, even if people have doubts, I'm sure they can just toss in Gamecube/Classic control anyway

AdmiralViscen said:
Actually, with Olimar's limited range in calling and throwing Pikmin, I wonder how well it'd work... There'd need to be some changes.

Of course. There was changes from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64. From Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time. There's always going to be changes when you factor in a new controller, but Pikmin 3 stands to benefit from that change greatly.

aeolist

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
Of course. There was changes from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64. From Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time. There's always going to be changes when you factor in a new controller, but Pikmin 3 stands to benefit from that change greatly.
Yeah. I mean if they wanted to they could even implement any control changes into the story. Like now Olimar has some amazing high-tech laser pointer that he uses to direct the Pikmin.

sphinx

the piano man
I have always had this feeling that nintendo isn't going to do sequels to franchises that began their life on the Gamecube, with the obvious exception of Metroid prime.

Luigi's mansion
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness ( Don't know if they hold the rights to this and the next game)
Geist
Zelda 4 swords spinoff

are a few that come to my mind.

and since nintendo's new definition of "selling" is now in the millions, I doubt they think gamecube franchises have that potential.

It might be that pikmin returns because of miyamoto's love for those tiny little things.

who knows, but I REALLY don't have much hope.

sphinx said:
I have always had this feeling that nintendo isn't going to do sequels to franchises that began their life on the Gamecube, with the obvious exception of Metroid prime.

Battalion Wars II and Mario Strikers Charged are already on the way.

Amir0x

Banned
sphinx said:

Luigi's mansion
Pikmin
Eternal Darkness ( Don't know if they hold the rights to this and the next game)
Geist
Zelda 4 swords spinoff

are a few that come to my mind.

and since nintendo's new definition of "selling" is now in the millions, I doubt they think gamecube franchises have that potential.

It might be that pikmin returns because of miyamoto's love for those tiny little things.

who knows, but I REALLY don't have much hope.

Why wouldn't Pikmin have that sort of potential? The original did plenty worldwide, more than a million iirc. The sequel didn't do as well, but they could easily revitalize the franchise for Wii if the criteria is "A MILLION+ SALES ONLY ALLOWED".

Of course, that's bullshit... Battalion Wars II proves that Nintendo doesn't have that philosophy. Heck, if anything it proves the opposite :p

GilloD

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well, first it'd have to be trolling. I imagine the meaning of 'trolling' is lost judging by the way people throw the term around these days.

Is it a good idea?

Trolling: Any post that's completely non-informative and made in the spirit of being a smart-ass jerk. Granted, a lot of that goes on here and that's fine for Joe Poster. But for someone who's supposed to be moderator, it's unbecoming. Especially when it would have been a pluto for someone else, you know?

aeolist

Banned
Amir0x said:
Why wouldn't Pikmin have that sort of potential? The original did plenty worldwide, more than a million iirc. The sequel didn't do as well, but they could easily revitalize the franchise for Wii if the criteria is "A MILLION+ SALES ONLY ALLOWED".

Of course, that's bullshit... Battalion Wars II proves that Nintendo doesn't have that philosophy. Heck, if anything it proves the opposite :p
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the Geist guys another go at it (but for God's sake give them some decent tech like the Prime 3 engine). And they'd have to be stupid to not make another Four Swords game with online, though that might actually be more suited to the DS.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Armitage said:
guys

pikmin work together to accomplish large tasks

stop this bickering and embrace your inner pik

i second this.

there most definetely should be an underground gafmin movement.

Amir0x said:
I didn't say you said anything bad at all, all I said is that you were crying and thrashing a lot, so you should grow balls. Which you should! I'm not sure how that amounts to name calling, because it just means you need to stop taking shit so seriously.

...but you're taking it seriously. I made a one liner and then said your jokes were stale. Since then it's been all you.

Where are the listmasters? Is it soundwave who usually busts out the team-by-team breakdowns? What team made Pikmin?

Amir0x

Banned
GilloD said:
Trolling: Any post that's completely non-informative and made in the spirit of being a smart-ass jerk. Granted, a lot of that goes on here and that's fine for Joe Poster. But for someone who's supposed to be moderator, it's unbecoming. Especially when it would have been a pluto for someone else, you know?

As a mod, I can say that specific comment would not have been pluto for someone else. Plus it wasn't trolling: it was just joking around, 'cause I knew this thread wasn't gonna get any vital information since no one knows where Pikmin 3 currently is.

I occasionally play around with some sensitive people 'cause I know they're easily riled up, but that wasn't the case here (until Viscen came, anyway).

aeolist said:
Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the Geist guys another go at it (but for God's sake give them some decent tech like the Prime 3 engine). And they'd have to be stupid to not make another Four Swords game with online, though that might actually be more suited to the DS.

Well, I hope they don't give the Geist guys another go at it. For humanity and justice, anyway.

AdmiralViscen said:
Since then it's been all you.
Amir0x said:
Is this one of those things where we both act stubborn and pretend it's the other person not ending things, even in the process of writing another post about it?

Keeps getting more and more appropriate.

sphinx

the piano man
BrodiemanTTR said:
Battalion Wars II and Mario Strikers Charged are already on the way.

well yeah, you got me there but I might just add:

Mario Strikers sold extremely well when the gamecube was completely dead, something around late 2005 if I remember correctly and it is one of the many Mario spinoffs which always do great numbers on principle and definitely aren't new on nintendo consoles. They can bring a game called " Mario feces " and It will sell.

battalion wars? definitley not the strongest 1st party franchise on cube. If anything I would have chosen pikmin over BW, any day.

and I know, there is still fire emblem which started its console life on GC ( right?) but hell, it was already stablished since long on the gameboy.

sphinx said:
and I know, there is still fire emblem which started its console life on GC ( right?) but hell, it was already stablished since long on the gameboy.

Fire Emblem started on the NES, just not in America.

Amir0x

Banned
sphinx said:

Mario Strikers sold extremely well when the gamecube was completely dead, something around late 2005 if I remember correctly and it is one of the many Mario spinoffs which always do great numbers on principle and definitely aren't new on nintendo consoles. They can bring a game called " Mario feces " and It will sell.

battalion wars? definitley not the strongest 1st party franchise on cube. If anything I would have chosen pikmin over BW, any day.

so if you admit Battalion Wars disproves your argument, what is your point? That means there's nothing stopping Pikmin 3 from coming from that standpoint

sphinx

the piano man
I think the possibility of another pikmin depends entrely on Shigeru miyamoto.

This is 100% a miyamoto game/concept and the game will live or die according to his desires.

aeolist

Banned
sphinx said:

The thing about games like Strikers and BWii is that they're made by independent developers, so it doesn't cost Nintendo more internal resources to get those games made. Things like Pikmin are EAD, and EAD would make a sequel. I'm also pretty sure EAD is quite busy right now, though it's entirely possible they've got a working build of Pikmin 3 in Kyoto right now that absolutely nobody knows about outside the company.

aeolist

Banned
sphinx said:

This is 100% a miyamoto game/concept and the game will live or die according to his desires.
All Miyamoto would have to do for a third sequel is hand it over to one of Nintendo's many competent internal directors. When the formula for a game like that has been set it wouldn't require much direct involvement from him, other than making sure they're not totally screwing it up.

Amir0x

Banned
SumGamer said:
This remind me of the new IP from Miyamoto Shigeru. Where is it? Or was it just a rumour?

isn't this Wii Sports shit the "new IP"? Wasn't that what it ended up being?

aeolist

Banned
Amir0x said:
Wii Sports was directed by several other members of EAD. I don't think he had too much to do with it, though Nintendo's hinted several times in the past that he'll be making something new on the Wii.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Amir0x said:

i could be wrong, but somehow wii sports doesn't seem like it has the level of creativity and originality that typically come along with a miyamoto project. don't get me wrong, i enjoy the game for what it is, but it's generally accepted that it started as a tech demo to demonstrate the controller, not a full-fledged game concept.

don't be a negative nancy.

sphinx

the piano man
Amir0x said:
so if you admit Battalion Wars disproves your argument, what is your point? That means there's nothing stopping Pikmin 3 from coming from that standpoint

well if you can bring me at least other 5 1st party franchises that started their life on the gamecube for which a sequel has been announced, then i shut my mouth. Otherwise my point is that, putting aside some exceptions (BW and MP), nintendo isn't very interest in keeping alive gamecube franchises.

it is my opinion, only. You can have yours and we don't need to agree.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Hmmm.... The game came from a lot of places. Miyamoto's big contribution to the game was "putting it in a garden setting, perhaps with a microcosm feel", just like Miyamoto's contribution to Metroid Prime was "strongly suggesting the team to stick to first person". Did Miyamoto design the levels, characters, or actual programming demo.. No.

The character universe was created by Shigefumi Hino (director), much of the gameplay and scenario by Masamichi Abe (director), with Colin Reed (Program Director) using an engine he was working on for the game.

Currently, much of the Pikmin team has disbanded, Colin Reed and Masamich Abe were both reassigned to NST where they developed Metroid Prime Hunters and now Project Hammer.

Shigefumi Hino has been working on some unrevealed Nintendo projects.

Will EAD pursue a Pikmin?? Well that all depends. I mean I honestly think they should re-release Zelda Four Swords, Pikmin 2, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on the Wii remade.

Amir0x

Banned
Sweedishrodeo said:
god i hope so

and here i was hoping that was a joke :(

sphinx said:
well if you can bring me at least other 5 1st party franchises that started their life on the gamecube for which a sequel has been announced, then i shut my mouth. Otherwise my point is that, putting aside some exceptions (BW and MP), nintendo isn't very interest in keeping alive gamecube franchises.

Well, your argument was that they only wanted million+ games, so that's why they're avoiding Gamecube sequels. But they've already got THREE Gamecube sequels, and who knows what else is in the pipeline.

I mean it's nice that it's your opinion, I'm just saying you didn't make a compelling case

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Miyamoto doesn't make games anymore. He manages the team and gets to outline the projects. The real designers are a bunch of guys you have no idea exist. Miyamoto is the manager, and his name will be attached to any game for PR purposes. Would Iwata mention during an E3 press event, that the new Higeashi Otaku Fuji game is coming... or would he rather say a new Mr. Miyamoto project is coming....

The last game Mr, Miyamoto is credited as a real director on is Super Mario 64. Everything since then from EAD he has acted as a supervisor, general producer, or producer. Do you really think someone can manage a 450 person development group, serve as a board of directors, conduct constant american/european/japanese pr, and still design a game???

Hardly.

All you have to worry about is that 99% of the guys who developed F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, ... are the same guys developing games at EAD.

aeolist

Banned
sphinx said:

It is a stupid opinion, and yes opinions can be stupid. It's really early in the Wii life cycle and Nintendo has already announced a ton of sequels, several from Gamecube franchises, and others from some of their biggest series.

It is extremely retarded to assume that they are out to expunge all original Gamecube content just because they haven't announced more sequels. It's ****ing Nintendo, they always take forever to announce games, and they can't (and shouldn't) blow their entire load in the first ****ing year.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
To the old school Nintendo gamer, there may be reason to worry that much of EAD may be developing "Wii Fun", replace fun with a generic activity that is fun to play for 4 mindless minutes. It is what the casuals want, and what the casuals want will sell.

EAD has gone POP. Accept it and like it :(

Amir0x

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
To the old school Nintendo gamer, there may be reason to worry that much of EAD may be developing "Wii Fun", replace fun with a generic activity that is fun to play for 4 mindless minutes. It is what the casuals want, and what the casuals want will sell.

Damn Shikamaru Ninja saying this literally makes the hairs stand on my neck. You would tell a mean campfire story, i bet

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Miyamoto doesn't make games anymore. He manages the team and gets to outline the projects. The real designers are a bunch of guys you have no idea exist. Miyamoto is the manager, and his name will be attached to any game for PR purposes. Would Iwata mention during an E3 press event, that the new Higeashi Otaku Fuji game is coming... or would he rather say a new Mr. Miyamoto project is coming....

The last game Mr, Miyamoto is credited as a real director on is Super Mario 64. Everything since then from EAD he has acted as a supervisor, general producer, or producer. Do you really think someone can manage a 450 person development group, serve as a board of directors, conduct constant american/european/japanese pr, and still design a game???

Hardly.

All you have to worry about is that 99% of the guys who developed F-Zero X, Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, ... are the same guys developing games at EAD.

I'd go with OoT being his last real hands on game. Probably TP too, by the way he spoke in the interviews.

aeolist

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

EAD just got finished developing its biggest and most expansive and expensive game ever, and it's a huge success.

Oblivion

Actually, gotta put Pikmin in there as well.

F: Excuse me (laughs). Was this the first time that you joined the development of a title since Ocarina of Time?

M: That's right. I was the director of Mario 64, and half producer, half director on Zelda. As for Pikmin, I'd say half producer, half director.

sphinx

the piano man
aeolist said:
It is a stupid opinion, and yes opinions can be stupid. It's really early in the Wii life cycle and Nintendo has already announced a ton of sequels, several from Gamecube franchises, and others from some of their biggest series.

It is extremely retarded to assume that they are out to expunge all original Gamecube content just because they haven't announced more sequels. It's ****ing Nintendo, they always take forever to announce games, and they can't (and shouldn't) blow their entire load in the first ****ing year.

why are you so angry?

you are telling me that nintendo MIGHT possibily announce sequels to gamecube franchises. your argument is only some hope you have, you can't say its a FACT nintendo WILL indeed announce sequels to many gamecube franchises.

I am retarded because unlike you, I choose to not expect or believe that luigi's mansion, pikmin or geist sequels will be announced??

I am retarded because we disagree?

cool...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
EAD just got finished developing its biggest and most expansive and expensive game ever, and it's a huge success.

It was succesful. But for some reason I think we are all noticing that Zelda failed to decimate its competition and in many ways undelivered in some aspects of next-gen gaming. It definitely isn't holding its throne like The Ocarina of Time did respectively. I don't think Nintendo is happy the game is NOT selling in Japan.

But Wii Sports, Wii Play, Brain Age, have caused more shockwaves and will generate more profit at a fraction of the staff and development time.

Amir0x

Banned
sphinx said:
why are you so angry?

you are telling me that nintendo MIGHT possibily announce sequels to gamecube franchises. your argument is only some hope you have, you can't say its a FACT nintendo WILL indeed announce sequels to many gamecube franchises.

I am retarded because unlike you, I choose to not expect or believe that luigi's mansion, pikmin or geist sequels will be announced??

I am retarded because we disagree?

cool...

:lol

no man, you're not making sense because Nintendo has ALREADY announced several Gamecube sequels that fly in the face of the criteria you gave earlier. Your entire argument was predicated on the idea that Nintendo is abandoning Gamecube games, but there are a total of three GCN games getting sequels that already prove you wrong :p

aeolist

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
It was succesful. But for some reason I think we are all noticing that Zelda failed to decimate its competition and in many ways undelivered in some aspects of next-gen gaming. It definitely isn't holding its throne like The Ocarina of Time did respectively. I don't think Nintendo is happy the game is NOT selling in Japan.

But Wii Sports, Wii Play, Brain Age, have caused more shockwaves and will generate more profit at a fraction of the staff and development time.
And that still doesn't mean that Nintendo is just going to dump all its assets into minigame compilations with "Wii" in the title.

They need a variety of games on their system if they want to appeal to everyone, which is their stated goal. They're still making Paper Mario and Metroid and Star Fox and Smash Bros.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Actually, gotta put Pikmin in there as well.

Quote: F: Excuse me (laughs). Was this the first time that you joined the development of a title since Ocarina of Time?

M: That's right. I was the director of Mario 64, and half producer, half director on Zelda. As for Pikmin, I'd say half producer, half director.

If Miyamoto wants to call himself half-director on Zelda and Pikmin that is fine. But Zelda had 7 "full-time" directors credited without subjectivity. Which makes it impossible to say Miyamoto "directed" that game. Pikmin is the same deal. 2 full-time directors, and several assistant directors.

Miyamoto created the three biggest EAD franchises and he is now the boss. But do you want to believe he is the lead designer of any game? Most real lead-designers can only work on one game for several years. They don't look in and out every now and then like Miyamoto and Tezuka now do for several Nintendo games.

sphinx

the piano man
Amir0x said:
:lol

no man, you're not making sense because Nintendo has ALREADY announced several Gamecube sequels that fly in the face of the criteria you gave earlier. Your entire argument was predicated on the idea that Nintendo is abandoning Gamecube games, but there are a total of three GCN games getting sequels that already prove you wrong :p

o.k first things first

these 3 games are:

Batallion wars
Metroid Prime
Mario strikers

right?

if that is so, in my opinion mario strikers doesn't count because mario spinoffs are nothing new. (my personal opinion) I therefore count only the other 2 existing franchises.

and trying to be consistent with my argument, I'll leave the zelda fs spinoff out of the " dead franchises " group because as a Zelda, it's not new on the console.

the other games that I could fine that fit the description I had in mind ( 1st/2nd party) were:

Donkey konga games
Eternal Darkness
Geist
Odama
Chibi-robo
Luigi's mansion
Pikmin
Baten kaitos origins, (possibly, since nintendo published it)

2 out of 10.

that proves to me that nintendo isn't " that " interested in keeping the franchises alive.

that is how I came to my opinion.

and you took too literally my "million " seller comment, I only meant nintendo wants money and I ( myself ) believe that the games I listed won't give nintendo as much money as other options.

Gigglepoo said:
I don't see it that way.

...with the remote. Why not? Instead of using the analog stick to move the aiming cursor around, you use the remote. I don't understand how that would have any meaningful effect on the design other than making it easier to control. I've showed the game to several people who have had trouble aiming well with the stick in Pikmin.

Oblivion

Shikamaru Ninja said:
If Miyamoto wants to call himself half-director on Zelda and Pikmin that is fine. But Zelda had 7 "full-time" directors credited without subjectivity. Which makes it impossible to say Miyamoto "directed" that game. Pikmin is the same deal. 2 full-time directors, and several assistant directors.

Miyamoto created the three biggest EAD franchises and he is now the boss. But do you want to believe he is the lead designer of any game? Most real lead-designers can only work on one game for several years. They don't look in and out every now and then like Miyamoto and Tezuka now do for several Nintendo games.

Well, if we're going by that, then I guess you can't give a single person total credit for directing a game, like Aonuma. Afterall, there were 7 directors like you said.

I don't see how it's any different. Is it so hard to believe that Shiggy may come out behind the scenes to work on the really, really important games (minus Pikmin, that seems like a strange one)?

Gigglepoo said:
I disagree. Pointing is made immensely better with a pointer.

sphinx said:

That's incredibly downplaying the people who actually work on these games in more than a supervisory role. 100% Miyamoto? No credit to the directors? The designers?

sphinx said:
Jesus, you want 5 more? Were there even that many successful new GameCube-born Nintendo franchises?

Top Bottom