• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where in the hell is the Pikmin team at?

sphinx

the piano man
JoshuaJSlone said:
That's incredibly downplaying the people who actually work on these games in more than a supervisory role. 100% Miyamoto? No credit to the directors? The designers?

well, as far as I know the whole game, no matter who executed it, is his and only his conception, his idea. I am not downplaying the pikmin team as a developer, they are one of a kind. I only think that it will be miyamoto who decides the fate of the pikmin franchise, regardless of the quality of the games or the developed teams on charge of the series.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Jesus, you want 5 more? Were there even that many successful new GameCube-born Nintendo franchises?

I came up with 10 games, 2 of which are getting a sequel. In a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 means that nintendo is 100% absolutely interested in GC-born franchises and 1 is 0% interested, that puts the interest level at 20%. If I had to chose a word, I'd choose " barely "

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Hmmm.... The game came from a lot of places. Miyamoto's big contribution to the game was "putting it in a garden setting, perhaps with a microcosm feel", just like Miyamoto's contribution to Metroid Prime was "strongly suggesting the team to stick to first person". Did Miyamoto design the levels, characters, or actual programming demo.. No.

The character universe was created by Shigefumi Hino (director), much of the gameplay and scenario by Masamichi Abe (director), with Colin Reed (Program Director) using an engine he was working on for the game.

Currently, much of the Pikmin team has disbanded, Colin Reed and Masamich Abe were both reassigned to NST where they developed Metroid Prime Hunters and now Project Hammer.

Shigefumi Hino has been working on some unrevealed Nintendo projects.

Will EAD pursue a Pikmin?? Well that all depends. I mean I honestly think they should re-release Zelda Four Swords, Pikmin 2, and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat on the Wii remade.

This post made me sad enough (although Pikmin guys working on Project Hammer is nice to hear), and then you teased with unannounced Nintendo projects. Go away you're gonna make me cry. :(

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'm not really worried about Pikmin 3 not being made. While the sequel didn't do too well in the West, it did very well in Japan. Pikmin 2 was the Gamecube's best selling game of 2004 in Japan. I'm confident #3 will be made.

Sphinx, your list is rather pathetic. Have you considered at all that at this point in their respecitve lives the N64 only had Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, and Mario Kart announced from the SNES and that the GCN only had Super Smash Bros, Animal Forest, and NBA Courtside from the N64. It is far too early to say Nintendo isn't intersted in making sequels to their Gamecube-born series... besides, Chibi-robo is getting a sequel. and counting BKO is a huge stretch. It's far more plausible that sequels will be considered on a title-by-title basis and not on where the series was first released.

sphinx said:
I came up with 10 games, 2 of which are getting a sequel. In a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 means that nintendo is 100% absolutely interested in GC-born franchises and 1 is 0% interested, that puts the interest level at 20%. If I had to chose a word, I'd choose " barely "
That seems such a weird standard to go by, judging their desire for GCN sequels based on those games announced within 3 months of launch; the games known about at this time probably only make up a small fraction of the games that will happen in time. Also lumping them into one group as having something similar just because they're new franchises on GCN. Eternal Darkness, Geist, Odama: not successful, not internally developed, little reason to follow up. Baten Kaitos Origins: Itself a followup, not successful, but they're working with the developer on other projects. Both Pikmin games probably sold more than those 4 did combined.

ziran

Shikamaru Ninja said:
To the old school Nintendo gamer, there may be reason to worry that much of EAD may be developing "Wii Fun", replace fun with a generic activity that is fun to play for 4 mindless minutes. It is what the casuals want, and what the casuals want will sell.

EAD has gone POP. Accept it and like it :(
ead's always been pop, it's what they do. they were formed to create entertainment for as wide an audience as possible. just because they're regarded highly by some of the hardcore for certain types of games doesn't really mean anything in the bigger picture, it's something very matter of fact.

reading the iwata asks interviews was a real eye opener, and clearly showed the internal teams are happy developing these new games. they thrive on the challenge, it's what they're best at, and wii sports is a testament to that. imo it's brilliant, an absolute genius game, which only ead could've made.

as much i would like to see a sequel to pikmin 2, which was great, i'm more thrilled to see new games from nintendo.

Well if you've read the Iwata Asks interviews, you can see that Miyamoto very much had a director style role in the making of Twilight Princess (Him and Eiji Aonuma even talk about some of the ideas that Miyamoto came up with in particular like Link's climbing animation)

Also Miyamoto admits in it that dsuring the GCN years, he was more of a supervisor than actually being involved in the development of the games. But he says that with Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy that he's looking to move back into more of a directorial role with these games and for the Wii. So the future's looking very bright with Miyamoto :) (Especially with this new IP he's working on!)

And why Pikmin3 should be the same? Open your minds and think outside the box a little. Pikmin can evolve further with the Wiimote. It's definetely a style of game to pu on Wii.

Also, about the comments on Miyamoto... he's no normal producer/director. He does influence the projects with his ideas and gameplay views ALOT more than the regular producer believe me.
Just read that article again when he grabbed the wheel during the devellopement of Metroid Prime i mean, holy shit, he almost reworked the game completely.

SuomiDude

DontFeedPikmin.gif

I'd really like a new Pikmin game. The controller is perfect for such light strategy games, and the games are actually pretty good in general. Ok, I only have Pikmin 2, but it was great. Lasted for around 25-30 hours, the graphics are nice, the music and sounds are nice. The MP could've been better though, at least add co-op to the game, the options in the current MP weren't the best.

sphinx

the piano man
o.k lets put the list aside, declare it pathetic, whatever.

I'll just wait and see.

as much as I like pikmin, I doubt it will be kept alive, same with luigi's mansion.

Unbiased Basturd said:
And why Pikmin3 should be the same? Open your minds and think outside the box a little. Pikmin can evolve further with the Wiimote. It's definetely a style of game to pu on Wii.

Also, about the comments on Miyamoto... he's no normal producer/director. He does influence the projects with his ideas and gameplay views ALOT more than the regular producer believe me.
Just read that article again when he grabbed the wheel during the devellopement of Metroid Prime i mean, holy shit, he almost reworked the game completely.
as i understood things from reading the Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime articles, while Miyamoto isn't necessarily the lead creative person on a game, if his name is on the game, his word is god.

what that means is, while he hasn't necessarily come up with all the stuff in the game, if he wants anything to be changed in it, it will be.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Unbiased Basturd said:

That's another thing. Shiggy is very humble too. How many times has he taken credit for other people's work? Did he ever come out and say "Oh, yeah Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker were MY babies"? Well, okay those are probably bad examples for him to connect to, but still. Aside from Pikmin, Metroid Prime, and Zelda: TP, (talking about post N64) I've never seen him talk about how much help he put in. So, knowing that, when the man says he put in a lot of effort in a game, we should believe him. :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Armitage said:
guys

pikmin work together to accomplish large tasks

stop this bickering and embrace your inner pik

Hehe lol..Pik means penis in dutch.. :lol

omg I just realised..so the Pikmin are like little penismen running around in our Wii o_O

shit im too drunk

BrodiemanTTR said:
Hate to bump this thread with this kind of post, but how exactly does Shikamaru Ninja know as much about EAD as he does? Insider?

Shikamaru Ninja
任天堂 の 忍者

Top Bottom