• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is that Duke Nukem 3d Megaton Edition for PS3/Vita?

Storm360

Yup, I got it, great port, from what I can tell

1. Leaderboards don't work
2. Had some stability issues but restarted the game and it was fine

The art gallery is from the Xbox 360 port, which this is based on

Instead of the Steam Megaton Edition, this is the 360 version brought in line with ME such as the expansions and widesceeen etc.

This comes with the benefit (or negative) of stuff like the art gallery, rewind function etc being in the game still when it wasnt in original ME

Just in case anyone's interested in the menus and such:

-Images-

Wait, is it just me or is this based off of the X360 version? That UI is the exact same as I remember playing this on 360.

Wouldn't happen to have the Rewind-on-death feature that the 360 port had, would it?

-NINJA'D-

...Wouldn't mind our PC versions getting the features added in the X360 port...

Goddamn, this game is still so good. Pretty damn hard too, although I have to admit I quite like the rewind feature even if it is cheating a bit. I really genuinely like having to backtrack to search levels and find health packs and secrets. Feels like such a long time since I played an unpretentious fun shooter like this.

Wiggy

Wouldn't happen to have the Rewind-on-death feature that the 360 port had, would it?

Yeah its got it, real cool feature (i never played it on xbox so its new to me).

Abstraction games (the games developer) has tweeted an explanation why it was put up, then yanked back down and delayed till Jan.
Here's a screengrab of the tweets.

LNzvPg8.jpg

Seems reasonable.

Well, that's fair enough I guess, as everyone noted that it just showed up without any fanfare. However, what on earth do Devolver have planned that will take two months to coordinate?! Is it that hard to reach out to a bunch of YouTubers and media sites for a review and/or coverage? I mean, this is a game that has been released several times over in the last ~20 years, so it's not like it's launch will be some major event. It was first released in 1996, so it's not like they're hanging on for the anniversary either.

So, um, I guess I just get to play this three months early. Score. I mean... it seems complete, you know? I played a session last night and it was fine.

Oh, there is one small issue - there were incredibly slight, but noticeable hitches when I went into certain rooms - like the game locked up for a microsecond. It happened twice across the first two levels. Not sure of the exact cause. It'll probably be patched out.

Wasp

Texture filtering is always on? :(
Yes, there's no option to disable it. I think it makes the walls and floors look pretty good but the enemies and other characters not so much.
Oh, there is one small issue - there were incredibly slight, but noticeable hitches when I went into certain rooms - like the game locked up for a microsecond. It happened twice across the first two levels. Not sure of the exact cause. It'll probably be patched out.
I noticed this too, PS3 version. Kinda annoying.

This game will always be special to me. I bought it the day we got our first PC, and I managed to take advantage of a wrong price tag to get it for $17. My friend and I didn't stop playing it for a year, then the N64 version came out.

I may buy it just for the nostalgia, and because I didn't play the expansions.

I've played about four levels now, which are taking me 15-20 minutes a pop. I'm terrible at finding secrets! I honestly remember very little of this which I find surprising as I thought I was more familiar with the game. It is so great though, and goddamn I love the shotgun. I think a satisfying shotgun is my favourite FPS weapon ever, and the last really good one I tried was in RAGE. It's little things I miss in modern shooters, such as having to consult the map to work out where to go, or having a bunch of items you can use whenever you want, like the Holo-Duke, portable medkit or jetpack. And damn, the noise the flying brain aliens make is creepy. I like how the pitch of their 'scream' is lower when underwater.

Such a great game; I'd gladly see more classic FPSs on Vita, like Dark Forces or Doom. Can we make it Brutal Doom though, please?

GrayFoxPL

Yeah its got it, real cool feature (i never played it on xbox so its new to me).

Abstraction games (the games developer) has tweeted an explanation why it was put up, then yanked back down and delayed till Jan.
Here's a screengrab of the tweets.

LNzvPg8.jpg

Seems reasonable.

I'm not sure I buy the "by mistake" part. Did Sony also by mistake put it in Nov 5 Update trailer?

Looks like it was just yanked not at the last minute but a minute too late. Just release it.

Top Bottom