• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

where is the opoona hype?

DENKO

vlphp167247.jpg

Opooooooooooooooooooooooooona!!

DENKO

Opoona did not sell very much in Japan

However...、

The mascot which is loved very much by a game fan

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
DENKO said:
The reason is because a picture to make with a word and a sign got popularity.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/sp0rsk/opoonasaiban.png[IMG]

There are a lot of kind of the picture, too[/QUOTE]

Oh so this character originated from japanese message boards like 2ch?

Sule

Looks like there's no PAL release date yet. I hope it does come over, the world and monsters look really good. A mediocre game can still be enjoyable.

ethelred said:
There is no hype, nor should there be. There never should have been any to begin with.

just asking, did you play the game? would you mind mentioning some of the biggest problems with the game if you did play it? story and combat?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sp0rsk said:
Poor opoona :(
The jokes will be remembered far longer than the game ever will.

Did anyone on 2ch actually buy this game? Like, did this "post fucked up pictures of Opoona" meme actually help sales, even on a miniscule level? Because it just seems really strange for them to flip their shit about a game character whose game they've never even played (
yeah, I know, 2ch...
)

DENKO

The participation number of people to the game bulletin message boards of 2ch is about 6,000 people.
There was the report of the person who purchased it in 2ch.
100 brave people.

Because a sale date was the same as the Super Mario galaxy it was severe.

jarrod

Banned
Arte Piazza seems to be having some trouble gaining traction outside DQ remakes. First Innocent Life, now Opoona... third time's the charm?

Zozz

Banned
Looks like an awful game, but I don't need to go any further because gaf already tore this game a new asshole.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Zozz said:
Looks like an awful game, but I don't need to go any further because gaf already tore this game a new asshole.

Yes, but was the asshole tearing based on informed discussion or ignorance?

Zanasea

Music in Opoona in incredible, one of the greatest Wii soundtracks ever made. Hitoshi Sakimoto seal of quality.

Ilchymis

stewacide said:
Has ANYONE on GAF actually played it?!?

xposting this from the other Opoona thread that I wrongly bumped:

I got a copy of this for review, and I have to admit that I'm enjoying it a bunch so far. The localization is rather subpar, but the game is really charming and fun. It vaguely reminds me of Earthbound, but I'm not going to really continue that in fear of being crucified by GAF. I wrote up an impression of it here, but am only about 15 hours in so far.

Anyone else planning on picking this up tomorrow, or anytime soon? Thus far, I'd recommend it, but it certainly isn't for everyone. It's a JRPG, so you'll eventually end up saving the world, but the little things that KOEI did with the job and battle system are fun and different to say the least.

Teasel

Ilchymis said:

I got a copy of this for review, and I have to admit that I'm enjoying it a bunch so far. The localization is rather subpar, but the game is really charming and fun. It vaguely reminds me of Earthbound, but I'm not going to really continue that in fear of being crucified by GAF. I wrote up an impression of it here, but am only about 15 hours in so far.

Anyone else planning on picking this up tomorrow, or anytime soon? Thus far, I'd recommend it, but it certainly isn't for everyone. It's a JRPG, so you'll eventually end up saving the world, but the little things that KOEI did with the job and battle system are fun and different to say the least.
could you elaborate a little more about the job and battle system... i know you have to charge your attack and release them by shaking the nunchuck,but i don't know anything about the job system

MidiSurf

Banned
Ilchymis said:

Sweet.

I just ordered my copy of Opoona from Video Games Plus.

birdchili

thanks for the impressions Ilchymis. i'm convinced enough - i'm going to try and track this down at lunch today.

"surprising depth" is exactly what i wanted to hear about the combat.

the wii remote is just used for camera and as an alternate place for basic button presses? do you have to reconfigure anything in-game to change control mechanisms, or can you just pick up the remote when you need?

there should be a rule about controllable cameras in exploration-centric rpgs. dq:viii did this right - great, great camera there.

Ilchymis

I'll post my review when I'm finally finished with the game, but I'll elaborate on a few of the questions you all have asked here, as there is so little information on this game out right now, it's practically criminal.

Re: Job System
The job system in Opoona is not like Harvest Moon, or a dating sim, or anything else where it plays too much into the storyline. Basically, the game progresses through the jobs that you find from town to town, which offer you little sidequests and minigames that allow for some extra diversions between the larger Ranger missions, which Opoona is really all about. In each town there are anywhere between 2-4 new jobs that range from farming and mining, to being a hotel clerk and selling clothes at a designer boutique. A few of these are necessary to advance the storyline immediately, while others may be later on (I haven't completed the game, so I can't say if fishing suddenly saves the world 30 hours in). On a whole they are fun little activities, and can be anywhere from picking up trash with hoverboard attachments, to beating the crap out of fish underwater. There are a few jobs that carry over from town to town, while others are just a one- or two-shot affair that net you a little cash and some fame/friendship/"personal growth."

The meat of the game comes from the ranger system, in which Opoona goes out into the wilderness and fights off rogues and saves people and such. Those progress your overall rank, and get you deeper into the story that you're trying to unravel as things go on.

Re:Battle System

I said the Opoona's battle system had "surprising depth" because of the way that it is much more than simply flicking the controlstick mindlessly until everyone is finished. While this may be the case early on, you can fire you BonBon in four different directions, and the strategy comes in how long you hold down the control stick (resulting in a stronger bonbon shot), or which direction the stick is held in (up, down, left or right). You can make the bonbon fire over smaller enemires by holding back and selecting the enemy behind the smaller one, or swerve around it by holding the control stick left. All the while you're doing this in real-time, so pansies like myself who usually choose "wait" in Final Fantasy should prepare to finally man up and experience some chaos. Don't go into it expecting a tactical RPG, but there's definitely more to it than just pressing the controlstick back and watching the bodies fall. Certain enemies take more damage from certain tosses of the bonbon, while other times you'll be forced to loop around bombs in order to strike foes. It's more than I expected, I'll admit.

A lot of time went into the game, and it definitely shows. There are a good amount of optional sidequests including hidden codes you can redeem for goodies, art pieces to find and enjoy, and lots of jobs that give you rewards for continuing them when you need not to. It's very easy on the eyes as well - even though HiDef GAF will probably disagree, Opoona actually looks pretty good for a Wii game. I personally enjoy the graphics and overall aesthetic of the game, but I know that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Be advised that it definitely has a lot of generic JRPG elements, so I'm sure I'll start saving the world in a matter of hours, but it's still enjoyable no matter how trite. The localization is noticeably poor, however it doesn't really "kill" the game, so much as you'll just have some chuckles every few screens. It will occasionally result in you answering "yes" to something you meant to say "no" to, but usually just results in some awkward phrasing and occasional mistranslations ("envelope" instead of "envelop," etc.). Also there is a bit of trekking back and forth, but the hoverboard makes things a bit quicker, and it's usually not to fruitless as you can generally do other things from place to place.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I can see how it couldn't be for everyone. Yeah, the fact that Opoona is practically a fisher-price playtoy on an adventure with a ball will detract some, but if you're looking for a solid (and quirky as all hell) JRPG experience for the Wii, I don't think Opoona would be a bad choice. It looks to be somewhere around 30-40 hours right now, and I'll confirm that once I see some end credits roll by.

Ilchymis said:
I'll post my review when I'm finally finished with the game, but I'll elaborate on a few of the questions you all have asked here, as there is so little information on this game out right now, it's practically criminal.

Re: Job System
The job system in Opoona is not like Harvest Moon, or a dating sim, or anything else where it plays too much into the storyline. Basically, the game progresses through the jobs that you find from town to town, which offer you little sidequests and minigames that allow for some extra diversions between the larger Ranger missions, which Opoona is really all about. In each town there are anywhere between 2-4 new jobs that range from farming and mining, to being a hotel clerk and selling clothes at a designer boutique. A few of these are necessary to advance the storyline immediately, while others may be later on (I haven't completed the game, so I can't say if fishing suddenly saves the world 30 hours in). On a whole they are fun little activities, and can be anywhere from picking up trash with hoverboard attachments, to beating the crap out of fish underwater. There are a few jobs that carry over from town to town, while others are just a one- or two-shot affair that net you a little cash and some fame/friendship/"personal growth."

The meat of the game comes from the ranger system, in which Opoona goes out into the wilderness and fights off rogues and saves people and such. Those progress your overall rank, and get you deeper into the story that you're trying to unravel as things go on.

Re:Battle System

I said the Opoona's battle system had "surprising depth" because of the way that it is much more than simply flicking the controlstick mindlessly until everyone is finished. While this may be the case early on, you can fire you BonBon in four different directions, and the strategy comes in how long you hold down the control stick (resulting in a stronger bonbon shot), or which direction the stick is held in (up, down, left or right). You can make the bonbon fire over smaller enemires by holding back and selecting the enemy behind the smaller one, or swerve around it by holding the control stick left. All the while you're doing this in real-time, so pansies like myself who usually choose "wait" in Final Fantasy should prepare to finally man up and experience some chaos. Don't go into it expecting a tactical RPG, but there's definitely more to it than just pressing the controlstick back and watching the bodies fall. Certain enemies take more damage from certain tosses of the bonbon, while other times you'll be forced to loop around bombs in order to strike foes. It's more than I expected, I'll admit.

A lot of time went into the game, and it definitely shows. There are a good amount of optional sidequests including hidden codes you can redeem for goodies, art pieces to find and enjoy, and lots of jobs that give you rewards for continuing them when you need not to. It's very easy on the eyes as well - even though HiDef GAF will probably disagree, Opoona actually looks pretty good for a Wii game. I personally enjoy the graphics and overall aesthetic of the game, but I know that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Be advised that it definitely has a lot of generic JRPG elements, so I'm sure I'll start saving the world in a matter of hours, but it's still enjoyable no matter how trite. The localization is noticeably poor, however it doesn't really "kill" the game, so much as you'll just have some chuckles every few screens. It will occasionally result in you answering "yes" to something you meant to say "no" to, but usually just results in some awkward phrasing and occasional mistranslations ("envelope" instead of "envelop," etc.). Also there is a bit of trekking back and forth, but the hoverboard makes things a bit quicker, and it's usually not to fruitless as you can generally do other things from place to place.

I'm enjoying it so far, but I can see how it couldn't be for everyone. Yeah, the fact that Opoona is practically a fisher-price playtoy on an adventure with a ball will detract some, but if you're looking for a solid (and quirky as all hell) JRPG experience for the Wii, I don't think Opoona would be a bad choice. It looks to be somewhere around 30-40 hours right now, and I'll confirm that once I see some end credits roll by.

ok..... well this actually has me interested.

Top Bottom