• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where my third party PlayStation Vita games Sony?

Lando Jones said:
Oh I know I guess it's just weird hearing stuff via twitter or late blog posts when Sony could have at the very least mention some of them, even if just by name dropping instead of letting us decipher the montage for hints.

Still not any less excited for it. Vanillware title, RR7, the rockstar announcements, BB, shinobido, and the Oddworld ports are a good start for all the info thats slowly trickling in as far as 3rd party support goes..
I know thats what I was expecting..but then only showed Street Fighter...and I was like "wait...that's it? No Konami or anything? Eh?" lol

This question should be asked when the conference is over, not hours after the official reveal. Developers allowed sony to reveal the console to the public. Hell, people are already speaking out about Rockstar support and ridge racer was just announced.

klee123

stealthpengu said:
Anyone else think 3DS will get the JRPGS and other smaller studio japanese titles this time around? I imagine development costs for Vita are closer to the HD consoles than the PSP.

The thing is that Japanese devs can keep on developing for PSP and then release them as NGP games as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Capcom does that too with MH

Bowdz

Sony had a fairly lengthy presser, so it is not that far out there to think that they wanted to dedicate their time toward big name, first party exclusives that exemplified the Sony brand name (i.e. Uncharted, LBP, Wipeout). We know there are troves of third party games in the works and, whether or not they release at launch, is it really necessary to see them (even if they are in an unfinished state)? Almost every single console released to date has announced games further down the pipeline that did not hit the console launch window and I doubt Vita will be any different.

Will Vita launch with all of the big name, third party games we have heard about? Of course not. Will there be more third party titles announced throughout the year that will hit the Vita launch window? You can bet on it. Just give them time.

The Lamp

Amir0x said:
Seriously I said this when NGP first revealed. Never in the history of a platform has a system revealed with virtually no third party games shown at all. Mario said he had something ready, but they didn't show it.

Now we're at E3, and they have announced, like, a paltry 4 or 5 third party games out of a reported EIGHTY total games?

What the fuck is going on?

Should someone argue why I shouldn't be concerned at this point about the desolate lineup?

Keeping a secret, I suppose?

Busaiku

Yeah, it's definitely weird.
It's been in developers' hands for quite a bit now, so I definitely expected more to be shown.

During half of the same press conference SCE developers had to refer to it as the NGP....

Kaz knew the price obviously in the beginning of the press conference only to announce it near the end...

Sony is controlling the flow of information on the Vita.

With 80 titles in development and 150 companies pledging support, I think there is a very good chance we can see a decent launch and on top of that more consistent and quick support compared to the PSP.

I think with Sony titles alone they could have a strong launch if they were able to get their titles out at launch.

- Uncharted
- Modnation Racers
- LittleBigPlanet
- Hot Shots Golf

I also think titles like Street Fighter X Tekken and Shinobido 2 are probably stronger titles than Rengoku and Darkstalkers...

EA will announce a bunch of sports titles to be sure as well.

I'm still waiting for the PS2 support announcement.

Busaiku

galian beast said:
I also think titles like Street Fighter X Tekken and Shinobido 2 are probably stronger titles than Rengoku and Darkstalkers....
Looking at some reviews for the Shinobido game on PSP makes me think that Shinobido 2 probably won't be a stronger title than Rengoku.

I'd have expected a lot more for something that's been in development for almost two years.

Great price on the hardware (at a loss) but uninspiring software.

Lightning

Banned
Not really concerned about this. I am sure that Sony will do what they can to get 3rd parties on board.

I am hoping for a new Metal Gear title on the system and a KH or FF game from S-E.

Lightning said:
Not really concerned about this. I am sure that Sony will do what they can to get 3rd parties on board.

I am hoping for a new Metal Gear title on the system and a KH or FF game from S-E.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Final Fantasy Type-0 gets moved to NGP, but with backwards compatibility perhaps that is a reach.

If I were Sony, I would certainly want Square Enix to move the title.

DiscoJer

galian beast said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Final Fantasy Type-0 gets moved to NGP, but with backwards compatibility perhaps that is a reach.

If I were Sony, I would certainly want Square Enix to move the title.

Type-0 is due out in Japan this summer. The PSV is due out at the end of the year...Squenix is not going to delay the game so it can appear on a platform with a userbase much less than the PSP (and where, at least in Japan, games sell okay).

I can maybe see SE delaying the game for a release on a PSV cart in NA, and doing a PSN release... but there is no way in hell they are gonna do that for Japan.

Neo C.

What do you guys expect? Unless the games are ports or uninspired sequels, they probably have the same long development cycle like a 360 game even with a big development team. That's the consequence of bringing sub-PS3-level graphics on a handheld. I mean, even the 3DS lacks games at the moment, and it's a platform without having the problem to convince (eastern) third parties.

I had the same thought until copy pasting all the talked about titles into notepad, surprisingly plenty of games coming up. Doesn't mean any will be ready at release though. Hopefully they can get them nailed down at TGS and Gamescom. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!

Neo C. said:
What do you guys expect? Unless the games are ports or uninspired sequels, they probably have the same long development cycle like a 360 game even with a big development team. That's the consequence of bringing sub-PS3-level graphics on a handheld. I mean, even the 3DS lacks games at the moment, and it's a platform without having the problem to convince (eastern) third parties.
What do you mean by this?

Takao said:
I am disappoint. That trailer show me no KojiPro, or SQuenix. I imagine they'll be there eventually, but shizz man. The price makes me day 1, but the games... :(

Squeenix will only jump on board with their FF ports when they see enough units out there.

Neo C.

Chuck Norris said:
I meant in regards to NGP
It's the successor of the PSP which had problems to sell software, especially in the west. At least in Japan sales has been fine after the release of MH.

Neo C. said:
It's the successor of the PSP which had problems to sell software, especially in the west. At least in Japan sales has been fine after the release of MH.
Well PSP has been the best selling system in Japan for a year or two now and has no problems selling software so I don't see it struggling to appeal to Eastern developers

I think Western developers didn't experience success on either system, and have shown reluctance to get on board 3DS and Vita

Withnail

Makes me wonder how long third parties have had dev kits. All signs point to "not long".

I'm sure we'll see more at Gamescom and TGS though.

jiggle

hope they hold a separate event next week, in jpn, for the games there
like they did that one year
long ago

cuz so far it ain't good

Takao

Banned
Withnail said:
Makes me wonder how long third parties have had dev kits. All signs point to "not long".

I'm sure we'll see more at Gamescom and TGS though.

Uh, we've known that certain people from big third parties in Japan have had them for more than a year at this point.

so, what 3rd party games currently in development we know so far?
here's what I got,

BlazBlu 2
Shinobido
Dragon Crown
Tennis game
Dynasty Warrior
Oddworlds
Ridge Racer
SF X Tekken
Call of Duty
Bioshock spin off
Falcom game
Kojima game
Rockstar games
Mortal Kombat?

Withnail

Takao said:
Uh, we've known that certain people from big third parties in Japan have had them for more than a year at this point.

I guess one of those big third parties must be Capcom seeing as they're the only ones showing the goods at this point.

Neo C.

Takao said:
I assume they are not final when they are more than a year around. I didn't follow the rumor closely that the PSV's hardware has been cut back on certain aspects, but I wouldn't be surprised when the final configuration hasn't been established not too long ago.

Rhindle

The big question is really what happened with the PSV memory spec.

The only real hope it has for significant 3rd party support from the big publishers, is if PS3/360 ports are really easy to do. If Sony cut the spec to the point that console ports aren't easily feasible, they're dead in the water for 3rd party support (at least from Western publishers).

gembel

Callibretto said:
here's what I got,

BlazBlu 2
Shinobido
Dragon Crown
Tennis game
Dynasty Warrior
Oddworlds
Ridge Racer
SF X Tekken
Call of Duty
Bioshock spin off
Falcom game
Kojima game
Rockstar games
Mortal Kombat?

Tennis game = Virtua Tennis 4 :)

We (Zen) have 3 games in production for Vita - all of the downloadable variety. Definitely excited about the machine, especially now that it's got an affordable price tag.

Kuran

Banned
Rhindle said:
The big question is really what happened with the PSV memory spec.

The only real hope it has for significant 3rd party support from the big publishers, is if PS3/360 ports are really easy to do. If Sony cut the spec to the point that console ports aren't easily feasible, they're dead in the water for 3rd party support (at least from Western publishers).
..did you see Uncharted? I wouldn't worry about it. These are launch games and most look stunning. Much beyond the competition.

Rhindle

Open Source said:
We (Zen) have 3 games in production for Vita - all of the downloadable variety. Definitely excited about the machine, especially now that it's got an affordable price tag.
If Sony know what they were doing - which they don't - they would reposition the Vita as a downloadable games platform - an alternative to iOS and Android with better hardware and a chance for quality games to be showcased and discovered, rather than getting lost in the mass of a million apps.

It still would not set the world on fire - but it would be a viable development platform, and have a shot at finding a niche for itself.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Callibretto said:
here's what I got,

BlazBlu 2
Shinobido
Dragon Crown
Tennis game
Dynasty Warrior
Oddworlds
Ridge Racer
SF X Tekken
Call of Duty
Bioshock spin off
Falcom game
Kojima game
Rockstar games
Mortal Kombat?

Here's a stab at a list:

Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Dust 514
Bioshock (workling title)
Virtua Tennis 4
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Plus Revitalized
Ridge Racer (working title)
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Dragon's Crown
Dynasty Warriors (working title)
Street Figther x Tekken
Mr Ink Jet
Shinobido 2
F1 2011
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Call of Duty (working title)
Rugby Challenge

Notably, several games have been announced since this thread started. If it wasn't initially obvious it should now be clear Sony's simply leaving third party announcements to third parties.

Rhindle

Kuran said:
..did you see Uncharted? I wouldn't worry about it. These are launch games and most look stunning. Much beyond the competition.
That's not the point. From a publisher's perspective, if you have a choice between putting a game on PS3/360 with a combined base of 100 million+, or having to spend a similar development budget on an HD platform with no installed based and questionable prospects - it's not a tough decision.

I think 3rd party devs will be freely able to announce and show games themselves now, when before they were obliged to stay quiet. I was at least expecting some kind of montage though.

storl026

I really hope Sony had the good business sense to court Call of Duty on PSVita. That would probably move a few units at launch.

Rhindle said:
If Sony know what they were doing - which they don't - they would reposition the Vita as a downloadable games platform - an alternative to iOS and Android with better hardware and a chance for quality games to be showcased and discovered, rather than getting lost in the mass of a million apps.

It still would not set the world on fire - but it would be a viable development platform, and have a shot at finding a niche for itself.

Hmm...wouldn't positioning themselves as a handheld with retail-quality content do more to separate themselves from phones?

VT4

q3tKl.jpg

iJiTZ.jpg

Hatsune Miku Project Diva PR person Nakanohito Ichigo is abusing Twitter again with teases. In a Tweet earlier today, Mr. Nakanohito, or maybe Mr. Ichigo (or maybe Ms. or Mrs. ... I don't know) said that he's now heading up work on a "launch title."

But Naknohito's comments about a "launch title" could mean Hatsune Miku Project Diva for either PlayStation Vita or Wii U.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/08/hatsune_miku_launch/

All Miku games have been on a Playstation system, so it would make sense for this to be on the Vita.

Top Bottom