• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which bespoke controller feature should become standard across the board moving forward?

onQ123

If you're of age you remember when things like The Dpad , Dual Analog sticks , Shoulder Buttons , triggers , rumble & even face buttons wasn't standard controller features but now they are all standard features.

IMU will most likely be the next standard controller feature because it's been in the last 3 Nintendo consoles & the last 2 PlayStation consoles with only Xbox holding out , I expect Xbox Next controller to feature IMU sensors there isn't any reasons not to at this point.

Excluding IMU which should be standard next generation what other bespoke controller feature would you like to see become a standard moving forward?

Touchscreens has also been part of Nintendo consoles/handhelds the last few generations with Sony also having a touchscreen & back touch pad on Vita & a touch pad on DS4 touch input is also on it's way to being standard across the board for console gaming.

1461010286_Video_Game_Controllers_Click

Last edited:

Exentryk

I'd just prefer having more buttons. The touchpad on DS4 can act as two different buttons on PC, and even swipes in different directions can function as different actions. The Xbox Elite controller has those paddles. So yeah, I'd like the next gen controllers to have at least a couple more buttons somewhere.

Overall, my greatest request about controllers on consoles is more on the software side. That they allow some sort of input-mapping software on the consoles that lets players create their own profiles, macros, etc., for various games (look at applications like Inputmapper / DS4Windows which do the same thing on PC).

Kanhir

Obviously it's gyr--

Excluding MU

Hrm. A headphone jack is always welcome (I'm looking at you, Nintendo), but I would go with a built-in microphone like the Wii U GamePad had. Multiplayer voice chat without needing a headset would be nice.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Stop the touch pad, it’s utterly stupid

Keep the multicolour lights for players, but make them tiny like the PS3 or segmented like the 360.

Keep the speaker and mic, that a cool fun little thing.

Add gyro. It CAN work well.

And for the love of god, can we have ALL new controllers include a share button please?

Oh and let’s go back to start and select. I’ve had an Xbox one for about 17 years and I STILL have no idea which button is which when it’s icon comes up haha.

All in all though, just keep battery life good. The xbox is great. The switchPro controller is god like. The PlayStation is....... well it’s so bad I feel Apple should let you swap the battery for £29. It’s appalling.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Breaking the controller in half a la JoyCon should become standard.

Playing VR using both hands is a thing. Playing games akimbo is a thing.

onQ123

Breaking the controller in half a la JoyCon should become standard.

Playing VR using both hands is a thing. Playing games akimbo is a thing.

Wii & Switch has proving that this could work as the standard controller setup for a console so I could see this happening if VR end up the main focus of gaming in a few generations.

onQ123

It's crazy to think that wireless controllers just became standard last generation with Xbox 360 , Wii & PS3

Shifty

This absolutely. It's been reduced to a glorified pair of buttons in the vast majority of games, chalk it up to experience and try something else. Like splittable controllers!

Yep, this too. Though more games need to embrace gyro aiming that you can toggle, Splatoon is the only one I can think of and its omission from most shooters is a crime.

And for the love of god, can we have ALL new controllers include a share button please?
Annnd you've lost me. Though granted I'm primarily a PC player so F12 has always been good enough for me.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Another vote for the touch pad. It needs to be used more, great feature.
Better battery life on Sony controllers.
Gyro is good. So are paddles.
Mike and speakers are also desired.
Split controller is cool too.

onQ123

Voice commend will probably have to be standard next generation because it's in everyday use now thanks to Echo & google home

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Hopefully paddle buttons. They are great on the steam controller and xbox elite controller. Right now people paying extra for SCUF and other controls that are modded with paddles on them.

Honestly I'd rather they remove a lot of the pointless features (crappy speakers, touchpads etc.) that just add to the cost of the controllers but rarely add anything to the game.

onQ123

Also what genre will these features improve / enable? the dpad gave life to the 2D platformers & Fighting games on home consoles , Dual Analog & triggers brought the rise off FPS on consoles.

I would like the start and back button to be labeled start and back again. I don’t know a single person that refers to them as options and menu.

ghairat

The touchpad is cool. However, I think a screen on the controller is also cool. Having a screen on the controller that shows life and stuff like that eliminates the need of having a HUD on the TV screen. Games like RDR2 and God of war looks amazing without having the hud on screen. Sort of like the Dreamcast version of Resident Evil 2.

Shifty

Shoulder buttons that don't shatter after a couple months of use would be nice as well. I've gone through no less than three DualShock 4s and holy moly just build it good please.

onQ123

AlexxKidd

As a Street Fighter player, this would solve me from having to purchase seperate third party controllers soley for my fighting games, BUT this should not become standard. Because unless you're playing Street Fighter, having the shoulder buttons where they are on a normal DS4 are much more convenient.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As a Street Fighter player, this would solve me from having to purchase seperate third party controllers soley for my fighting games, BUT this should not become standard. Because unless you're playing Street Fighter, having the shoulder buttons where they are on a normal DS4 are much more convenient.
I mean, you could have all current features plus 6 face buttons, they weren't a replacement for shoulder buttons, just the design at the time. This is only rough because it wants to be faithful to the old design:
61qexQlSPxL._SL1058_.jpg

It has triggers too. I think the sticks might be too close together there but like I said, just showing it can be done, not with this design necessarily. And of course as long as I need to get a 3rd party controller on top of the official one I'll opt for one that doesn't have all that, the standard Saturn-like will do, or stuff like the Hori Fighting Commander, this all-in-one design would be for a bundled pad only.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wii & Switch has proving that this could work as the standard controller setup for a console so I could see this happening if VR end up the main focus of gaming in a few generations.
I mean, PS Move came out almost a decade ago. And although it has been relegated to the dustbin of history, the Navigation Controller was a competent Nunchuck wannabe:

Nyko-Charge-Station-Quad-for-PlayStation-Move.jpg

I see no reason why Sony couldn't offer a split controller that plays traditional and VR games. It's evident they want people to buy VR (especially since it really turns the gears for several other Sony business ventures like media delivery, their lens tech, their display tech, their camera tech, etc). If PS5 launches with a two-handed VR-compatible controller that can also double as the Dualshock 5, it would be very smart.

iconmaster

Banned
Another vote for paddle buttons. They seem really convenient.

Saw the Astro C40 and immediately wanted its paddles on every controller.

(Manufacturers may be afraid of scaring off new gamers by adding Even More Buttons though)

Filben

Paddle buttons. Why waste all those spare fingers and yet requiring the right thumb to do multiple actions that I like to perform simultaneous, like reloading (X/Square e.g.)) and look around (right stick)? Activate/use (right hand buttons again) an item in one smooth movement of the camera?

AlexxKidd

I mean, you could have all current features plus 6 face buttons, they weren't a replacement for shoulder buttons, just the design at the time. This is only rough because it wants to be faithful to the old design:
61qexQlSPxL._SL1058_.jpg

It has triggers too. I think the sticks might be too close together there but like I said, just showing it can be done, not with this design necessarily. And of course as long as I need to get a 3rd party controller on top of the official one I'll opt for one that doesn't have all that, the standard Saturn-like will do, or stuff like the Hori Fighting Commander, this all-in-one design would be for a bundled pad only.

Well the Saturn pad didn't have four shoulder buttons, like the modern four button pads, it had only two. But yes you could could make a 6 button layout pad with four shoulder buttons as that's what the Hori Fighting Commander has, except two of the shoulder buttons only act to replicate the function of two of the face buttons. So even though there's 10 total buttons, only 8 of them have different functions. If you made the controller standard, I suppose that would allow for 10 completely unique buttons, so there's that, but I'm more saying the design for other games is why this shouldn't become standard.

Whenever I go to play any game that's not a fighter, I use the DS4 because of it's comfort with the shoulder buttons. It has become standard in games with shooting (and there are a lot of them) that L2 is aim and R2 is shoot. It's just not as comfortable to do that on a six button layout pad as it is on a four button DS4 type pad. Even on my Fighting Commander, I rarely use the shoulder buttons. I assign them as PPP or KKK for certain EX moves, but a lot of times I'll just do them manually without ever bothering. Shoulder buttons are not as convenient on those pads as it doesn't sit in your hand the right way.

So even though it'd save me money in the long run, I still would rather them keep the controllers not far from where they are for standard game purposes, and I'll simply purchase a separate, designated controller for my fighters.

Nymphae

Banned
Without question, the headphone jack on the PS4 controller.

So nice to be able to route the TV audio through my controller.

Alexios

But is there a reason other than Hori's own design that the shoulder buttons on the commander are different to the DS4's? I don't see how having 6 face buttons affects the shoulders at all in any way.

Makariel

I quite like the PS4 aim controller, should become standard for VR shooter games in my view. VR controllers tracking motion should be able to track at least a few fingers, and I second that the headphone jack on the PS4 controller is quite a nice feature.

Shifty

But is there a reason other than Hori's own design that the shoulder buttons on the commander are different to the DS4's? I don't see how having 6 face buttons affects the shoulders at all in any way.
I think the point is that the extra shoulder buttons compensate for the lack of extra face buttons.

I'm kind of torn on the six face button thing. With four you can rest your thumb in the middle and rock it around for easy access to all the buttons, whereas with six you need to move it around more.

Last edited:

Alexios

I think the point is that the extra shoulder buttons compensate for the lack of extra face buttons.

I'm kind of torn on the six face button thing. With four you can rest your thumb in the middle and rock it around for easy access to all the buttons, whereas with six you need to move it around more.
But if games use mostly 4 actions you can rock it around for those and use the other two for the less frequent actions or for rocking inbetween another set of actions where applicable.

It would also help avoid some occurrences where the stick clicks are used for stuff that aren't convenient at all.

Also help with the gamepad controls of PC-oriented games that tend to need more shortcuts than usual and are crammed in weird setups and sub menus and hold-to-toggle-another-set stuff for pads.

Oh and SF isn't the only fighting series with a 6 attack buttons system, it's pretty common, even Skullgirls uses it, no?

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

I hate how completely unused the touch pad is on the ds4. The fact you can't use it for the web browser is baffling.

Last edited:

gaevult

Neo Member

Keep the multicolour lights for players, but make them tiny like the PS3 or segmented like the 360.

Keep the speaker and mic, that a cool fun little thing.

Oh and let’s go back to start and select. I’ve had an Xbox one for about 17 years and I STILL have no idea which button is which when it’s icon comes up haha.

All in all though, just keep battery life good. The xbox is great. The switchPro controller is god like. The PlayStation is....... well it’s so bad I feel Apple should let you swap the battery for £29. It’s appalling.

Actually the PS4 controller and the Nacon Pro Revolution v2 (don't know about the v1) have gyro in it. The developers of the game Paladins, when implementing gyro support for the Switch, found that the DS4 has gyro sensors in it and they added support for the PS4 version of the game too. I use the Nacon for pretty much every FPS that I play and found that it has a gyro sensor too and it works pretty well.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
IMU is pointless. I actually see PS removing this next gen.

As for what I would like to see, better triggers, paddles, mic, wireless charging.

Last edited:

Shifty

It would also help avoid some occurrences where the stick clicks are used for stuff that aren't convenient at all.
Actually yeah, when you put it that way I think I'm down with the idea. I'd scrap stick clicks in favour of additional face buttons in a heartbeat.

It feels like I'm going to break or otherwise damage the mechanism when trying to click it and move in a direction at the same time. The switch joycons remedy that a bit by building it into the top rather than the base, but it's still not great.

Oh and SF isn't the only fighting series with a 6 attack buttons system, it's pretty common, even Skullgirls uses it, no?
This is also a solid argument- I switched to a stick for fighters ages ago, but heavies being mapped to R1/R2 never felt intuitive to me.

onQ123

IMU is pointless. I actually see PS removing this next gen.

As for what I would like to see, better triggers, paddles, mic, wireless charging.

How is IMU pointless? it's been standard in just about every gaming platform since 2006 & for what stupid reason would Sony remove it going into the next generation when they will be diving deeper into VR?

In fact what would make you even say something like that?

GenericUser

I firmly believe the next generation of pads will all have paddles by default. It's almost surprising the revisioned standard pads on all consoles don't have them by now.

Top Bottom