• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which bespoke controller feature should become standard across the board moving forward?

EssKayZee

Paddles on the back. Because they make use of unused fingers resting on the back instead of moving your thumb around more buttons.
So for the paddles would you rather they be interchangeable or built into the controller?
Built into the controller. Long extensions detachable and included in the box.

Last edited:

kunonabi

If Im not going to be using split controllers I'd just want a gamepad with paddles so I don't have to use R3/L3 inputs ever again.

Vitacat

I would like to see all controllers get onboard with whatever battery life magic Nintendo has. Their rechargeable controllers last forever and a day on a single charge. Sony in particular has abysmal battery life.

I think the time is right for standard xbox controllers to come with rear paddles. its the best solution to jumping while shooting.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How is IMU pointless? it's been standard in just about every gaming platform since 2006 & for what stupid reason would Sony remove it going into the next generation when they will be diving deeper into VR?

In fact what would make you even say something like that?
What is it's purpose? How many PS games use it and what does it actually add? Seems to me the days of waggle are long dead.

Last edited:
So for the paddles would you rather they be interchangeable or built into the controller?
I wouldn't be opposed to consoles launching with both. I'd be more than happy to pay a little more to get interchangeable if it meant the entry level controller cost could be a little lower.

onQ123

What is it's purpose? How many PS games use it and what does it actually add? Seems to me the days of waggle are long dead.

IMU is better for aiming than analog sticks

Also the point of having it standard across the board is so that more devs will use it , We will probably see a lot more PS4 games using it now because of Switch because if the game is on PS4 , Xbox One & Switch , Xbox is the odd man out so it will be worth the time putting the controls in because it will be used on 2 out of 3 platforms instead of 1

you also have the VR games like Astro Bot that take advantage of the motion controls .

Last edited:
I love the paddle layout on the Elite controller, after using them with a variety of games the idea of removing a thumb to hit jump, or giving myself carpel tunnel trying to hold the controller claw style seems absurd. I knew I liked the paddles from using a Scuff X360 controller, but I prefer the arrangement on the Elite.

They've also completely eliminated the shity L3 and R3 buttons, which just make you wear though the grip on the head of the sticks faster.

Another feature the Xbone controller has that I really like is the trigger rumble motors. Really cool in racing games that use them like Forza, and in FPS to let you know your clip is getting close to empty.

PocoJoe

Banned
Symmetrical stick placement, like PlayStation uses.

Xbox controller is just idiotic with that stick placement.

Humans have symmetrical hands, so no reason to have one stick in a wrong place.

One reason that i wont buy xbox anymore, just too annoying to have that controller

onQ123

One reason that i wont buy xbox anymore, just too annoying to have that controller

I was hoping that no one make a post about the thumbstick placements , I don't think it should be a standard placement for them because some people love Xbox's placement & some love PS's placement so it would be backwards to eliminate either one.

Shifty

I was hoping that no one make a post about the thumbstick placements , I don't think it should be a standard placement for them because some people love Xbox's placement & some love PS's placement so it would be backwards to eliminate either one.
They should take cues from the XBO adaptive controller and make the button cluster, d-pad and sticks into modules that you can pop out and rearrange. Every possible iteration of the problem solved in one fell swoop.

Last edited:

onQ123

They should take cues from the XBO adaptive controller and make the button cluster, d-pad and sticks into modules that you can pop out and rearrange. Every possible iteration of the problem solved in one fell swoop.

Don't think that would work for the masses though , But then again the masses are able to deal with the Switch's detachable controllers so maybe that could work.

All I want is a DualShock 4 with good battery life, a lightbar that you can fucking turn off, and just remove the stupid touch pad.

Add a couple buttons on the grip, much prefer the type on that new Astro then the Elite controller/Scuf type.

Just make the DualShock 4 compatible with PS5 so I can use it to play PS4 games.

FeldMonster

Yes, but our actions using the controller are not "symmetric". Because of the high frequency of button use, the right stick is placed lower to allow your right thumb to push the buttons. The left side of the controller is where PS controllers fail. Other than fighting games, when is it necessary to keep your left thumb constantly on the D-Pad?

The theoretical ideal would be paddles/buttons on the back, with both symmetric sticks higher up on the faces, such as on the Wii U Pro controller. Perhaps the next Xbox Elite controller will do this.

- Great battery life
- Analog Triggers, with rumble too
- paddles
- no gimmicks like touchpad or touchscreen integrated, or huge ass light bar, no motion control shit either
- Small light to see what player you are (as in player 1, player 2, etc)

-edit: also, there is no reason that the left analog stick gets worse placement than the D-pad on the PS controller. The most used thing on the controller vs. the least used, the analog stick should definitely get priority here.

Last edited:
Paddles. I don't wanna have to take my thumbs off the sticks.
Ooooh this I forgot about this. I used a buddies scuff controller one time and it was so nice.
Hopefully paddle buttons. They are great on the steam controller and xbox elite controller. Right now people paying extra for SCUF and other controls that are modded with paddles on them.
Another vote for paddle buttons. They seem really convenient.

Saw the Astro C40 and immediately wanted its paddles on every controller.
Paddle buttons. Why waste all those spare fingers and yet requiring the right thumb to do multiple actions that I like to perform simultaneous, like reloading (X/Square e.g.)) and look around (right stick)? Activate/use (right hand buttons again) an item in one smooth movement of the camera?
Paddles
They're nice easy to reach buttons which don't require a change of hand position.
Paddles on the back. Because they make use of unused fingers resting on the back instead of moving your thumb around more buttons.

Not putting paddles on a new gaming controller developed in 2019? That's a paddlin'.

For anyone here saying they want paddles on their controller, this is only $40 US, and it works really well:

Last edited:
Vibrating triggers. As a racing game fanboy, there’s nothing short of a real steering wheel that communicates tire feedback better.

fingers crossed for asymmetric sticks - or at least an optional, fully featured, 1st party controller

there still aren't really any great 3rd party options for ps4, all of them have some shortcoming (wired only, no headphone jack, etc...)

Last edited:

Shifty

I can't sanction vibrating triggers until microsoft gets off its ass and puts together some sort of driver implementation for them that isn't locked to windows 10 UWA stuff.

Mine have effectively been dead weight because I don't own an Xbox One.

onQ123

I can't sanction vibrating triggers until microsoft gets off its ass and puts together some sort of driver implementation for them that isn't locked to windows 10 UWA stuff.

Mine have effectively been dead weight because I don't own an Xbox One.

Wouldn't this be on the other PC devs to add support for rumble triggers?

Shifty

Wouldn't this be on the other PC devs to add support for rumble triggers?
They can't do anything unless microsoft exposes the functionality to their code as an API. Currently the only one of those that exists is for unified windows apps, so games that use the Win32 platform (that is, the vast majority of them) couldn't even talk to the hardware if they wanted to.

onQ123

They can't do anything unless microsoft exposes the functionality to their code as an API. Currently the only one of those that exists is for unified windows apps, so games that use the Win32 platform (that is, the vast majority of them) couldn't even talk to the hardware if they wanted to.
Oh OK.

onQ123

If E-Ink is cheap enough they could bring back custom overlays ,

640_0009.jpg

580ee15681d1a_TrevorMcFurintheCrescentGalaxy(World).png.18983f566f5a46aa70e8377acb78083b.png

colecovision-controllers.jpg

image009.jpg

Kanhir

Waggle is long dead, now motion controls have matured into gyro aiming. It's incredibly intuitive and precise, it's as close to mouse aiming as you can get with a controller.

El_Belmondo

Make gyro a standard, it works beautifully.

I don’t care about the rest. Well, maybe headphone Jack on the controller, but i'd rather use a wireless headset.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Waggle is long dead, now motion controls have matured into gyro aiming. It's incredibly intuitive and precise, it's as close to mouse aiming as you can get with a controller.
And no one uses it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What games use this? I've never been prompted about gyro aiming in any game that I've played.

I agree about the impulse triggers. Best controller innovation of this console generation.

Shame that MS hasn't made it easier to support if that's the problem.

Closer

I want split controllers for maximum laziness. Everything else is a plus.

Edit: Actually, just take the Wii Remote + Nunchuck combo, make Nunchuck wireless and add some buttons somewhere. There we go.

Last edited:

JimboJones

The only things annoying me this gen is MS holding out against including gyro and Nintendo not having analogue shoulder buttons.
I can kinda see why it may have made the joy cons more flimsy or expensive but they could have even went with the PS2 pressure sensitive route.

Shmunter

The rear paddles seem to be Sony’s new push. And why not, tried and tested concept, and now coming to all PS5 users as a baseline assumedly.

Top Bottom