• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Console do you think will have the most Japanese titles next Gen

Which Console will have the most Japanese titles in Next Gen

• PS5

Votes: 130 52.0%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 97 38.8%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • PC

Votes: 18 7.2%

• Total voters

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Oh my goodness @ the poll results.....people expecting Japanese titles from PS5 are in for a rude awakening this generation

Switch and PC....censorship sucks

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
Who voted Xbox? And why the title is “what console“ and PC is listed? Lol
tbf I would take even the xbox over switch. Switch is missing out on Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Nier Automata, all FromSoftware games etc.
Switch is only okay as a sencondary plattform and that goes for japanese third party games as well.

Aidah

They seem to have pulled back on that stuff to a degree. I mean I was looking through the PS store a couple of days ago, and I noticed that one of the PS+ discounts was a bikini costume for a busty girl in some anime game, from $2 to free. Basically giving away bikinis for your viewing pleasure.

Anyway, Japanese consoles will get the most Japanese games if we're talking numbers, and PC will continue to get more and more Japanese support.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
It's safe to say PS5 will have the big budget stuff - Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil and a few others. They'll also get most of the multiplat midrange and budget stuff, as long as it's not too lewd. For now though, most of that stuff is still going toward Switch and PS4. It'll take Japanese budget developers at least a year to (also) release most of their games on PS5

Switch will also get all the multiplat midrange and budget stuff, including the ecchi uncensored stuff. Then there's Nintendo's own games which are exclusively Japanese, plus published games like Bayonetta. Add exclusives like Octopath Traveler and Monster Hunter to that and I'd say Switch will slightly outdo PS5 in sheer number of games.

Xbox will get some big budget stuff like RE but I doubt any japanese publisher is gonna bother.

PC will get quite a few (late) ports I'd guess, just not as much as either Switch or PS5.

Playstation is no longer a Japanese company sadly, its American now (at least in content decisions). The brand still matters a lot in Japan, maybe special dispensation is given to Playstation Japan but who knows any more.

If Nintendo launches a new machine then that absolutely will be the number one platform for Japanese games.

Xbox despite its poor reputation is far too woke anyway.

PC is actually doing quite well, Steams tolerance of smut games paid off with indie Japanese devs paying more attention to PC than the bigger publishers followed.

MrMephistoX

Kind of hard to say between switch and PS5 because the development barrier to entry is lower on Switch so they could eek out a win on shovel ware. If Nintendo does a switch pro at PS4 specs and don’t market it badly like the Wii U it could be even more interesting.

Last edited:

dottme

It’s hard to guess between PS5 and switch. I put PS5, but this console is huge so I’m not sure what will happen in Japan.

Labadal

I think the Switch might be on top, followed by PC/PS5. I'm going to be an owner of all three platforms, so I'm covered.

Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft buys a couple of Japanese studios, though.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
tbf I would take even the xbox over switch. Switch is missing out on Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Nier Automata, all FromSoftware games etc.
Switch is only okay as a sencondary plattform and that goes for japanese third party games as well.
Switch might not get some of the multiplatform Japanese games but it does get it own set of exclusives JP games like Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, No more Heroes 3, Bravely 2, Shin Megami Tensei V, Bayonetta 3 and Monster Hunter Rise. its big reason why I own both Nintendo and Playstation systems.

My big issue with current Xbox is it barley gets exclusives Japanese games and the Japanese games it does get I can already get it on my Playstation, I have zero reason to ever get a Xbox.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
No double it will be PS5. Switch will get as much (if not more) love as PS5 from JRPGs but PS5 is the definite platform for AAA Japanese titles. If the rumor that Switch pro is coming is true, maybe these two will tie.

I am also interested in how can XBOX improve in this regard as Phil explicitly said they will make effort to get more Japanese title on their console.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My current problem with current Sony is we are barely seeing any first party Japanese games from them and they are solely focusing on their first party western games, I'm hoping this would change in PS5 but I highly doubt it.

FStubbs

My current problem with current Sony is we are barely seeing any first party Japanese games from them and they are solely focusing on their first party western games, I'm hoping this would change in PS5 but I highly doubt it.

Sony figures they'll get the big Japanese games without trying. They may be correct. I still wonder how a console the physical size of the PS5 will do in Japan.

Ev1L AuRoN

Unless Microsoft actually buys Sega, I think Persona will still be exclusive to PS. There are many titles, niche titles that have very little appeal in the United States and I believe that those titles will remain outside of Series X.

God please keep Microsoft away from CAPCOM, NAMCO, SQUARE and SEGA... Street Fighter V being exclusive this gen was pretty shitty, those companies with such rich catalog should never belong to a platform holder.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They make Japanese games for the consoles that Japanese people buy. Not sure a poll makes a difference.

Unless they're huge weeaboos, people in the West tend to have absolutely no idea how much stuff gets released on PC every year in Japan. If it's not on Sony or Nintendo consoles it won't show up on anyone's radar.

This. I guess that makes me a huge weeaboo, which is not far from the truth.

WakeTheWolf

The censorship is kind of ridiculous though especially in the case of Atelier Ryza. And I hear Sony treat Japanese developers like garbage compared to western developers. Personally for me the whole political pandering really turned me off of the console but in retrospect I prefer Japanese games and that's where most developers will go.

I'm not sure how it goes in Japan but I don't think PC gaming is as strong which is a shame as I'd prefer to stay on PC. I'll grab a PS5 just for more japanese games though.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Quantity isn't important, Japan does not just produce masterpieces, but also a lot of trash.
The ultimate place to play Japanese games will be PlayStation.

With Sony bullshitting with censorship do you think developers will start developing more titles for the other options and give exclusives?
Censorship is due to market - mostly China but the west also likes censorship so the game developers will have to implement it.

It depends on GamePass - how successfully it will be in Japan (and not Xbox but GamePass), but in general it is the competition between Nintendo and Sony.

More games are coming to PC now as well.
PC gaming is on the rise in Japan.

Last edited:
PC takes all, but it always does in every category if you add up every last game in every genre. I assume PC has the most Western games too...and Chinese, and anywhere else you might look.
It all started on the PC. It all will end on PC...Though maybe we all will go mobile?

SoraNoKuni

Xbox being in the voting list is like trolling, looking forward to more atlus goodness.

Except if *that* Wednesday arrives.

Spaceman292

Banned
With Sony bullshitting with censorship do you think developers will start developing more titles for the other options and give exclusives?
Yes. Square Enix saw sony blur a couple of anime titties in games that no one cares about and thought 'Fuck that. We're going to Microsoft!'

manzo

Mobile for gachashit.
Switch for smaller games.
PS5 for big titles along with a Switch port.
Xbox version for titles that are large in US, like Final Fantasies etc.

Switch 2 easy.

If the Switch hadn't missed the first 3 years of current gen due to the false start that was the WiiU, the PS4 wouldn't have had half the exclusives it does currently.

Now Japanese devs know Nintendo will continue to cater directly to their home market, and given how quickly the Switch became the best selling current gen system there, I don't doubt they're planning on (and probably in talks with Nintendo about) supporting their next gen system.

Last edited:

SNG32

I'm surprised PC isn't higher. It's gotten pretty much every single japanese fighter and jrpg minus Persona 5 Kingdom hearts and FF7 Remake which should be coming to it soon. Also the amount of Japanese MMORPG games that are no where to be found on console. I see a few people on here saying Xbox shouldn't be on the list and it should be since Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is launching on it with no PS5 announcement. Which counts for something.

PS5's leap in graphics will exclude a lot of the smaller Japanese devs (again) which will push them to handheld/mobile (again) and swing in Nintendo's favor (again). PS4 did a stellar job of including Japanese devs, all credit to Sony. It's a fantastic library. However, I don't expect a repeat with PS5. Asset generation is still so expensive and Switch prints money for third-parties. The small and mid-sized Japanese devs will go to the platform that seems the most stable, in these uncertain economic times. PS4 and Switch will get tons of Japanese games over the next 3 years, I expect. The shift to PS5 / XsX will be sluggish.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The console that Japanese people actually buy...so the ps5.
You think the PS5 will outsell the Switch and/or Super Switch?

0.1% of console sales in Japan this year through Nov. 1, compared with 10.1% for the PlayStation 4 and 89.8% for Nintendo’s Switch

Last edited:

jakdex

Switch>PC>PS5>Xbox on the quantity of Japanese games.
It's obvious if you're not brain damaged.

Top Bottom