• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which country has the best beer?

Best beer?

• England

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Germany

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • Ireland

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • America

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Canada

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Jamaica

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Japan

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Belgium

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • Mexico

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Australia

• Russia

• Total voters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Japan

10_fa4759e2-37e8-45ad-b344-546bbaa5305e_550x.png

This stuff is amazing.

mxbison

People saying it has to be the US because of so many breweries need to check some numbers. Bavaria alone has like 700 breweries...

Never been in the US so I can't judge, just saying those numbers don't mean much.

1. Belgium
2. Germany
3. Czech Repulic

Last edited:

H4ze

Germany! Germany! Germany!

But there are some great asian beers too and honestly, I really enjoyed drinking like 20 Budweiser while on vacation on the US east coast. It's a lot closer to water, but its fun to obliterate these little cans :D

USA craft beers is on another level now. If you look hard enough, Americans makes better beers than the other country’s counterparts like German pilsner, heffs, Belgium ales, saisons, English ales, porters, etc. USA also makes the best ipa’s and stouts. Pretty much everything!

But sometimes I just want a bottle of ice cold Blue Moon on a nice sunny day

poodaddy

Voted Russia purely because of Russian imperial stout, but Germany is the real answer in terms of most beer being of impeccably high quality. Before I get piled here, let me say, fuck Russia I am no Russia apologist. I shouldn't have to say that, but these days I don't know man. Just think Russia does good with really, really strong, black beer, and that's my thing.

Tams

Japan

10_fa4759e2-37e8-45ad-b344-546bbaa5305e_550x.png

This stuff is amazing.
I used to be all over Sapporo before I moved to Japan.

Now I'm thoroughly fed up with Japanese beer. It's all the same and really nothing special. The large breweries in Japan are also fucking vicious to establishments. I've known a few owners and they are sick of their shit.

There are quite a lot of micro/craft breweries that have popped up over the last five or so years though, which is good. I have a few sitting in my fridge right now in fact.

I miss British beers. It got pretty knarly in the 70s, 80s and 90s when CAMRA was the only thing saving British beer. Since the late 90s though, the range of British beers is just insane. The 'microbrewery' thing from the US arrived very late to the UK, as we'd already salavaged our beer industry.

All that said, I love a good continental European beer, especially something 'flowery'. And there are still lots of pubs in the UK that only sell wifebeater, piss, and Guiness.

Last edited:

Soodanim

USA craft beers is on another level now. If you look hard enough, Americans makes better beers than the other country’s counterparts like German pilsner, heffs, Belgium ales, saisons, English ales, porters, etc. USA also makes the best ipa’s and stouts. Pretty much everything!

But sometimes I just want a bottle of ice cold Blue Moon on a nice sunny day
Do you really think that USA does everything every other country has been doing for a lot longer but does it better? Subjectivity means that could be true for you, but that was such a bold statement that it's like you wrote your post with one hand while the other waved a the Stars and Stripes as you sang your national anthem

kondorBonk

America and Belgium rank my highest. Neither are limited to any beer purity law so you get a wide variety of ingredients/spices.

With that said, Germany has one of my favorite beers with Weihenstephaner and some of the most strict guidelines.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Do you really think that USA does everything every other country has been doing for a lot longer but does it better? Subjectivity means that could be true for you, but that was such a bold statement that it's like you wrote your post with one hand while the other waved a the Stars and Stripes as you sang your national anthem
Pretty much. US has breweries for literally any kind of beer imaginable. They do literally everything. Carrot beer, pickle beer, Marshmallow beer, every variant of IPA, 40 different octoberfest beers, every seasonal. Everything. There's hundreds of breweries that do literally all of it.

There's going to be some exceptions, but US was my first pick at this point. It's changed over the last 10 years dramatically. And they're all constantly experimenting with new beers all the time, not doing the same beer for 100 years.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Pretty much. US has breweries for literally any kind of beer imaginable. They do literally everything. Carrot beer, pickle beer, Marshmallow beer, every variant of IPA, 40 different octoberfest beers, every seasonal. Everything. There's hundreds of breweries that do literally all of it.

There's going to be some exceptions, but US was my first pick at this point. It's changed over the last 10 years dramatically.
Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that there are some talented people putting out good stuff, and on a similar note I've heard good things about some US wines in recent years. But "We're the best at everything, no exceptions" strikes me as very short sighted when you're comparing to quite literally everyone else. Quantity doesn't guarantee quality.

USA can keep its marshmallow beer, too! USA should lose every category by association for the mere mention of that. Disgusting animal, how dare you.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that there are some talented people putting out good stuff, and on a similar note I've heard good things about some US wines in recent years. But "We're the best at everything, no exceptions" strikes me as very short sighted when you're comparing to quite literally everyone else. Quantity doesn't guarantee quality.

USA can keep its marshmallow beer, too! USA should lose every category by association for the mere mention of that. Disgusting animal, how dare you.
It was actually pretty good lol. I'm sure they're not the best at every type of beer ever. But if I had to pick 1 country, they'd certainly be on my short list. I was just trying to explain the extreme experimentation with literally everything that you see from most of the breweries here lately. They are trying to do literally anything they can that's new, so they make literally every kind of beer.

Can someone recommend a beer that doesn't taste bitter or stale? I switched to gin, lol.
This is a new seasonal that's pretty good. Tastes like pumpkin pie beer.

yiNQS74.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

There's going to be some exceptions, but US was my first pick at this point. It's changed over the last 10 years dramatically. And they're all constantly experimenting with new beers all the time, not doing the same beer for 100 years.
This is a very US approach to things - consumer is king. Make 100 different versions of something and the consumer tries all of them until they find the one they personally like the best. Versus artisans making what they think is the best and effectively saying if you don't like it then you are wrong.

Both approaches have merit and pitfalls.
But I wouldn't say it is obvious that if, for example, you have one country with 100 beers of wildly varying quality including several exceptional ones, and another country with 10 beers of high quality with one or two exceptional that country one is automatically the best.

GymWolf

Madison-Beer-Hottest-Boobs-Pictures-5.jpg

Unless you people have something better than madison beer, it's Clearly america.

Last edited:

JCK75

10 Years ago I would have said US near the bottom and Belgium being first.
but with the craft brewery craze that has taken over even my small town.. US has the best of everything ripping off the best of everywhere else.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How sweet is it? All I imagine is the sweetness being overpowering and me hating it
Was mixed with some kind of fruit chunks so it had a bit of tart in it. Tart up front, marshmallow on the back end. Definitely bizarre but I actually liked it. I've seen some marshmallow and chocolate, or marshmallow and graham cracker beers also.

With a lot of the weird ones, it's nice to have just one of those and then switch to something more traditional to mix it up. You wouldn't necessarily want a ton of those but they can be nice.

Tams

Yes, the beer scene in the US has drastically improved. It's success has also spurred more innovation in other countries.

The thing is, with typical American bravado, many in it or associated with it, have made it seem like it is all this incredible new thing. And there's quite a lot of appropriation that's gone on, like with 'Oktoberfest' beers. Americans will defend this with 'ancestors, yada yada', but it is appropriation and just a bit annoying.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, the beer scene in the US has drastically improved. It's success has also spurred more innovation in other countries.

The thing is, with typical American bravado, many in it or associated with it, have made it seem like it is all this incredible new thing. And there's quite a lot of appropriation that's gone on, like with 'Oktoberfest' beers. Americans will defend this with 'ancestors, yada yada', but it is appropriation and just a bit annoying.
For sure. That's what I'm saying. They are making almost all the beers you used to only import. If people want to call it appropriation, they're right. but it's still definitely increasing the options out there.

Tams

Can someone recommend a beer that doesn't taste bitter or stale? I switched to gin, lol.

Spitfire Amber Ale.

009.JPG

I jest. Don't. You'll hate it. Edelweiss or Blue Moon might be okay for you, but really all beers are bitter or 'stale' as that what beer is, especially if it has been hopped (which has been the single greatest invention in beer).

Jinzo Prime

Edelweiss or Blue Moon might be okay for you, but really all beers are bitter or 'stale' as that what beer is, especially if it has been hopped

i kind of figured, it's just you see so much new enthusiasm for different types of beer these days, like pairing beer with different kinds of food as of it was wine or something!

For pure beer clearly Germany, das deutsche Reinheitsgebot frowns upon anything that is not grain, yeast, hops and water. Belgium takes the crown for any flavoured beer though.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Was mixed with some kind of fruit chunks so it had a bit of tart in it. Tart up front, marshmallow on the back end. Definitely bizarre but I actually liked it. I've seen some marshmallow and chocolate, or marshmallow and graham cracker beers also.
What does this even have to do with beer? Ever heard of the purity law from 1516?

You are talking about mixed drinks as if it was beer.

How Dare You Omg GIF

Soodanim

I'll let them have all of that if they stop saying St Patty and start saying St Paddy

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What does this even have to do with beer? Ever heard of the purity law from 1516?

You are talking about mixed drinks as if it was beer.

How Dare You Omg GIF
Double Puff Slush Beer (Blackberry, Apricot, Marshmallow, Flavored and Vanilla Berliner Weisse Style Ale). Keep refrigerated and gently tilt to displace fruit sediment prior to drinking.

i'm not a beer snob. i like Budweiser and Tennents. so my vote is for American + Scottish. if i had to pick one it'd be Tennents.

i've tried many beers from around the world but Presidente from dominican republic is probably my favourite. i wish i could have took some home with me or ordered some online.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's England. And I live in micro beer USA town. Trust me. If you guys answering USA ever took a trip to Europe and did some beer drinking you'd know.
Every US town seems to be in the process of becoming a microbrewery town. They're popping up everywhere and dumping shitty, overly-bitter IPA's on the world by the truckload. Go to any of them and 60+% of their selection is IPA garbage. I guess that's what the kids like these days. The kids these days are stupid.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The sadest thing is the amount of people who voted "America" unironically when they manufacture nothing but the same pisswater again and again.

You can always tell an American Tourist in Europe because there the only one nursing there womens bottle of bud light in the bar... why do bars in Europe have 8+ handpulls with a variety of Lager, Stouts, pale ales and real ales on tap and some yank waltzes in and starts drinking from a bottle like some sort of tastless savage...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The sadest thing is the amount of people who voted "America" unironically when they manufacture nothing but the same pisswater again and again.

You can always tell an American Tourist in Europe because there the only one nursing there womens bottle of bud light in the bar... why do bars in Europe have 8+ handpulls with a variety of Lager, Stouts, pale ales and real ales on tap and some yank waltzes in and starts drinking from a bottle like some sort of tastless savage...
That would sound accurate if the year was 1988.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Every US town seems to be in the process of becoming a microbrewery town. They're popping up everywhere and dumping shitty, overly-bitter IPA's on the world by the truckload. Go to any of them and 60+% of their selection is IPA garbage. I guess that's what the kids like these days. The kids these days are stupid.
Alas, now its those saisons, sour ales, and the like that are taking over. Damn things taste like a skunked beer, I just don't understand it.

I found a place that sticks mostly to Belgian and German styles, I'll support thrm till I die (of alcoholic liver failure).

Maybe my tone was wrong, as I'm not trying to convey USA is the shit and all, I'm really not. But when it comes to beers, there are so many craft breweries in the US now, even the OG breweries of what was the pinnacle of a beer style is now outdated. One example of this is the Alchemist brewery. They basically invented the hazy NEIPA and was the shit until rest of the country took note and made it better. There are so many more innovations and experiments that are done from the vast number of breweries in the US, it's really crazy and hard to keep track frankly. At the same time, that brings out the question, does new ways and innovation qualifies as better beer? These are all subjective of course since my favorite hefeweizen is from Weihenstephaner which the oldest brewery in the world or at least one of them. My other favorite of all time is the Tripel Karmeliet. But there are so many breweries in the US that does a Belgium triple so well, vs other countries that are more focused on a particular style of beer is what I'm getting at.

Top Bottom