• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Deus Ex to play first: HR or MD?

Now that I've finished Prey (which was amazing btw) I'm chomping at the bit to for more immersive sim goodness, and with something of a lull between now and E3, I figure now's as good a time as ever to finally jump into Deus Ex.

I want to wait for that GMDX mod to be released in June before jumping into the OG Deus Ex, so right now I'm trying to figure out which to play from the Square Enix Montreal titles: Human Revolution or Mankind Divided. Yes I know that chronologically HR comes before MD so it would make sense to just start with the former, but between any QoL improvements in the sequel, the better graphics, and all the good things I've heard about Prague, I'm thinking that maybe MD is the one to play first?

Well since this is a series you play for the narrative, the story and characterisations..........Play them in chronological order

psychotron

I heard the story in Mankind Divided was garbage?

Not true, just incomplete. The game has lots of great quests and story pieces, but the main story is teased but never fully fleshed out. It was made with the intention of a sequel that will never happen. They're both incredible games.

Storywise, Mankind Divided is confusing enough even if you have played Human Revolution, because it relies on supplementary material to fill some of the gaps (there is a tie-in novel called Deus Ex: Black Light which takes place between HR and MD).

So, the obvious answer is to play them in order of release.

Play HR first because it's the far superior game in just about every aspect. Then play MD if you want more but prepare to be let down.

DLaicH

Sorry, but MD's story really does assume that you've completed HR. You have a point about QoL stuff, but really there's not a huge difference between the two games in terms of that stuff.

I heard the story in Mankind Divided was garbage?

It's not. It's smaller scale than HR's, and sometimes the analogy of oppression is... nonsense (as it often is when sci-fi/fantasy creates analogues for discrimination) but it's not garbage. There's claims that MD's story is somehow cut up because when they started making it, they decided to make two games instead of one, so MD's ends with sequel hooks for one last prequel before the original Deus Ex. But the actual plot and conflict of MD is more or less complete, it just ends with "okay, and now the greater conspiracy awaits for you to take them on."

Play them in order. Mankind Divided's entire plot is based around the ending events of the first game. Also Mankind Divided's level and sidequest design is so good that going back to Human Revolution's will seem like a massive step down.

Why would you jump into a DIRECT sequel before the game before it? It's not like HR is so old and outdated it's unenjoyable
Because if Mankind Divided is just a prettier version of Human Revolution, minus the apparently terrible boss fights, than why play both? Maybe I just play Mankind Divided? I thought the similarities between the two games was what many reviewers had a problem with. If so, maybe I don't want to play both? I'm genuinely asking

Timeaisis

Play them in order...I mean MD is great, but it's more of an iterative sequel so your not going to really take a huge step back by playing HR first.

Because if Mankind Divided is just a prettier version of Human Revolution, minus the apparently terrible boss fights, than why play both? Maybe I just play Mankind Divided? I thought the similarities between the two games was what many reviewers had a problem with. If so, maybe I don't want to play both? I'm genuinely asking
Mankind Divided feels really outdated. Human Revolution would be even worse.

There's no story reason to play HR. I remembered very little of it when I started playing MD. Just read a wiki or something.

Mankind Divided feels really outdated. Human Revolution would be even worse.

There's no story reason to play HR. I remembered very little of it when I started playing MD. Just read a wiki or something.
I disagree with this post completely. HR is great and MD was my GOTY last year.

haveheart

Banned
Not quite every aspect. MD has the better levels and is much, much superior mechanically.

I liked MD way more than HR. Better gameplay, more skills, Prague is a fresh setting and greatly visualised (seeing Prague irl after playing the game was jawdropping). The story is sometimes really exciting, at points really disappointing.

I love both games but imho MD is much better. So if you like MD and want more lore play HR afterwards.

Hazmat

You ought to play HR first. I'd say it's the better game and I don't think that MD really had any significant QoL improvements. It looks better, but if you have any interest in playing both it makes no sense not to play them in order.

I liked MD way more than HR. Better gameplay, more skills, Prague is a fresh setting and greatly visualised (seeing Prague irl after playing the game was jawdropping). The story is sometimes really exciting, at points really disappointing.

I love both games but imho MD is much better. So if you like MD and want more lore play HR afterwards.
See this is the train of thought that is making me want to play Mankind Divided. And then at a later point I can play Human Revolution. 3 immersive sins in a row seems like it'd be a bit much anyway

HvySky

Human Revolution, since Mankind Divided is a direct sequel. I also liked HR way more than MD which makes me somewhat biased.

v0mitg0d

Human Revolution is really fantastic. MD is good too, but to me HR really sets the tone well and it's more Cyberpunk than MD.

Also, this thread affords me the opportunity to post this badass HR trailer. One of the best video game trailers ever made.

"I don't even know who's side I'm on" So goddamn cyberpunk, love it.

WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0

obeast

MD is probably a better game, especially if you aren't giving bonus points to old games to offset technical limitations, but I thought the main plot arc of HR was vastly better. MD's main story is just kinda weird - it feels like half a game, and I was left very much unsatisfied. If you're a fan of the genre, and if a solid central narrative is important to you, I'd play HR first. If you aren't / it isn't, MD is probably a better first-time experience.

Marcel

Where did this unfortunate trend of people thinking you couldn't play the original Deus Ex without mods come from again?

It's not. It's smaller scale than HR's, and sometimes the analogy of oppression is... nonsense (as it often is when sci-fi/fantasy creates analogues for discrimination) but it's not garbage. There's claims that MD's story is somehow cut up because when they started making it, they decided to make two games instead of one, so MD's ends with sequel hooks for one last prequel before the original Deus Ex. But the actual plot and conflict of MD is more or less complete, it just ends with "okay, and now the greater conspiracy awaits for you to take them on."

Play them in order. Mankind Divided's entire plot is based around the ending events of the first game. Also Mankind Divided's level and sidequest design is so good that going back to Human Revolution's will seem like a massive step down.

Dead on, on all accounts.

The game's ending didn't feel at all like a cliffhanger or an unfinished story to me. It ends in a way that begs for a sequel but doesn't really require one.

Always leave them wanting more, a wise man once told Square Enix, who heard instead, Put a great franchise on indefinite hold.

haveheart

Banned
See this is the train of thought that is making me want to play Mankind Divided. And then at a later point I can play Human Revolution. 3 immersive sins in a row seems like it'd be a bit much anyway

Do it! MK also my goty16. And if you're new to this genre, starting with older games might be a bitt off-putting. The games are still great but mechanics do age. There's no shame in going back chronologically. Starting immersive sims now with SS2 would be a pretty rough start I guess.

AtkO

Play the sequel, Deus Ex : HRMD, stands for Human Ressources Management : Delayed (gdi bby come back :'( )

Pagusas

Elden Member
IMO, skip HR and play MD.

Playing them back to back will likely burn you out.

I don't know, it plays fine without them

Yeah wtf, HR is such a better game. Play HR, dont bother with every single side quest and you'll complete it in under 30 hours. Then move on the MD and play that for every single side quest (as the main story doest really go anywhere).

I personnaly enjoyed HR much more because of their more complete and interesting narrative, plus I liked every environment where as I feel Prague gets tiresome (and doesnt feel as Cyberpunk-ie as alot of us wanted, though Prague at night is much better!)

arlucool

Also, make sure that whenever you play HR, make it so the Director's cut.
I think it includes all the DLC? In adition to a redesing in boss battles and minor enhacements like textures and in-game tweaks for the better experience.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I actually just started Mankind Divided, my first DE game. Quick question for those that have played it, the controls seem a little wonky, should I look into changing them?

I had a quick look at the settings and there seemed to be other options, but some of the other control schemes looked like they actually lose functions?

Top Bottom