• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which franchise would you like to see return to it's roots next?

RSB

Banned
This so much.

If they ever announced Halo CE 2, it would instantly become my most anticipated game ever.

Resident Evil.
Also this.

Hopefully the RE2 REmake will be the return to classic RE I've been waiting for the last 14 years (and no, I most definitely don't consider RE7 a return to the classic style) Capcom better don't try making it action, 1st person, or some other shit. REmake treatment or bust.

marmoka

Banned
I was going to say Sonic, but we are getting Sonic Mania, and looks fantastic.

latest

Forget about Sylux, forget about Adam, forget about the Galactic Federation (keep them in the background at least), just make the best possible sequel to Super Metroid or Metroid Prime 1. No linearity, no silly story that hogs the focus of the game, just being alone in a maze on a remote alien world.

Agree!! We all need a new Real Metroid game.

Opa-Pa

Normally I'd say Castlevania, Mega Man and Metroid, but I guess it has to be alive to count, right?

So Final Fantasy, I guess. Thank god SE seems to not meddle too much with Silicon Studio's projects.

Sephzilla

Halo
Mega Man
Devil May Cry
Call of Duty
Final Fantasy

Halo is kind of the big one on the list for me though. 343 is taking that franchise in a direction I'm not super thrilled about, both story wise and multiplayer wise. I'd actually like to seem them step back into that simple-but-effective multiplayer style of the older games. Master Chief Collection (when it worked) was such a fantastic reminder of how great the old Halo games were both in terms of gameplay and map design

Nielm

Splinter Cell.

Blacklist was good, but Conviction started a new trend in the series. It's now full of action-stuff, and I feel like the stealth elements have been lost a bit. Blacklist is a bit too over the top with its 'tacticool' image, compare these pictures for example:
There's also the whole Paladin thing in Blacklist, and you feel like an overpowered superhero spy.

http://www.newgamenetwork.com/images/uploads/gallery/SplinterCellBlacklist/BlacklistPC05.jpg
http://www.gametactics.com/wp-conte.../splinter-cell-chaos-theory-screenshot-03.jpg

Chaos Theory is still more fun to play in my opinion, the gameplay is more intense.

Bring back the slower paced, more grounded feeling stealth of Chaos Theory, Michael Ironside and Sam Fisher's dark, sarcastic humor.

SOCOM US Navy Seals needs to go back to being a close intimate tactical shooter. The first two games of the franchise were so fucking great! They tried making it a BF clone after that and then with SOCOM 4 tried making it a COD clone.

Confrontation was an attempt at going back to its roots but it was a piss poor one unfortunately. Riddled with bugs and a few very odd game design decisions. I really think a game like the original SOCOM games would thrive today. It was basically the original e-sport on consoles.

XgorreKrusadeX

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid
Splinter Cell
Far Cry
Need For Speed (A proper Underground game)
Soul Calibur (if they release something in the future, please take off that SCV kind of gameplay)
Super Mario (Odissey looks fantastic....but i´ve always wanted a Super Mario World proper sequel or remake)
3D Sonic (go back to Sonic Adventure)
GTA (don´t get me wrong, i loved GTA V, but i just dream with a proper remake of GTA San Andreas)

DMONKUMA

latest

Forget about Sylux, forget about Adam, forget about the Galactic Federation (keep them in the background at least), just make the best possible sequel to Super Metroid or Metroid Prime 1. No linearity, no silly story that hogs the focus of the game, just being alone in a maze on a remote alien world.

Basically.

Also while the game isn't out yet I'd rather have God of War stayed as an action/hack-n-slash than whatever we're getting now.

I've been replaying Rondo of Blood recently, and it reminded me that I would really love to see another non-Metroid-style (and non-Pachinko-style) Castlevania again.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Ecclesia isn't a Metroidvania, but it probably isn't what you're looking for, either.

Top Bottom