• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game was more deserving of the industry praise received, Ocarina of Time or Shenmue?

Which was more deserving of the high praise they received?

• Shenmue

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

Votes: 132 81.0%

• Total voters

MastaKiiLA

Shenmue...the best game ever made?
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

FR1908

I love Shenmue and it did something special that no other game did before. The compelling typical oriental pretentious story in a wonderful small-scale world with the fantastic OST, grabbed me from the beginning to the end. However, if you remove that, you are left with a game in which you are constantly sent from pillar to post with every now and then some basic fights and annoying quick time events. Shenmue feels like an elaboration of the interactive CD-ROM period between the SNES / Megadrive and PS / Saturn, which was beautiful in its time.

However, Ocarina of Time was revolutionary in many areas and also in terms of versatile gameplay a lot more fun with the item structure, versatile world and reward system. Which makes it more fun to go through it multiple times. Shenmue had a music library where about 4 songs were exceptionally good. The rest has hardly stuck. Ocarina of Time's music library has burned into my brain. It's not all beautiful music, but given the environments in which you heard them, they've all stuck. Nintendo has tuned everything perfectly here. It is the whole coherence of Ocarina of Time that was unprecedented at the time and still is.

Ask yourself, if Shenmue came out today with modern graphics, would it still enjoy the same euphoria it did back then? Do the same with Ocarina of Time and you have your answer.

IKSTUGA

The only good thing about Shenmue is that it inspired Yakuza, which is actually a good game series. So yeah, Ocarina of Time of time was more deserving.

Shenmue, the 1st ever open world game

No.

Are you high on DRUGS?
Both are constantly top 5 on many neutral top games lists (for consoles)

Which franchise is alive? Exactly.

Both had games recently lol.

Ask yourself, if Shenmue came out today with modern graphics, would it still enjoy the same euphoria it did back then? Do the same with Ocarina of Time and you have your answer.
This already happened and fans and several reviewers still heap it with praise.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My understanding is that Shenmue has a lot of elements that make up what is considered a great game today, but didn’t manage to build a good game around them.

Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, was an almost perfect video game at release, and is still a very solid game.

PhaseJump

Banned
Shenmue brought us QTEs, gave us slow slice of life filler in an incomplete story, it distracted a lead developer from creating successful games in 2 console generations that desperately needed them, it burned all the cash, and it helped kill Sega.

Zelda brought us a big 3D world to explore like previous Zeldas, more depth with horizontal and vertical attack patterns, Z-targeting to tighten up the bad 3D camera work that was still common in the industry.

Tough choice. :pie_thinking:

Shenmue brought us QTEs, gave us slow slice of life filler in an incomplete story, it distracted a lead developer from creating successful games in 2 console generations that desperately needed them, it burned all the cash, and it helped kill Sega.

Zelda brought us a big 3D world to explore like previous Zeldas, more depth with horizontal and vertical attack patterns, Z-targeting to tighten up the bad 3D camera work that was still common in the industry.

Tough choice. :pie_thinking:
I'd argue the Dreamcast wouldn't have lasted as long without Shenmue since it gave it that post launch bump in the US. People were starting to wonder about when the hit games were coming out and while it wasn't a great success it got interest that covered the gap between the next wave of releases.

Ogbert

Who on God's green earth has ever suggested Shenmue is the best game ever made?

It's not even in the Top 1000.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ocarnia of Time by a long shot. I always love Shenmue despite how many warts that game has. OoT brought Zelda into 3d and still today is the best example of taking a 2D game and bringing it into 3D.

radewagon

Me: Votes

(Sees results)

Me: Glad to be on the right side of history on this one. The 30 of you that chose Shenmue... have you considered the possibility that you're the baddies?

Top Bottom