• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games that everyone else loves do you hate?

Petrae

I find most open-world games (GTA, Elder Scrolls, etc.) to be awful, despite the love they get from most other players.

Pokemon does nothing for me; I've tried to play multiple games in the series and the result is the same: I play for 2-3 hours, get bored, and sell/return it.

Final Fantasy VIII isn't loved by *everyone*, but it reviewed well and has a decent following. Me? I'd rather a fork in the eye. "You're playing it wrong" doesn't excuse this game for me. (See also: Final Fantasy XII, Lightning Trilogy for games that some really like and I can't stand.)

The Resident Evil series: Nope. Too much item micro-management for me. Tank controls don't help, either.

Halo. Never understood the success. Same for Gears of war. But probably I underrated the multiplayer factor.

Halo was the first of it's kind, really. It was so wide open when the world was used to corridor shooters. Also aim assist, bullet magnetism, and a huge number of features that are now FPS staples originated there. Looking back it seems like a standard shooter but really it invented many of the standard.

RMI

Banned
The Last of Us.

I don't hate it, I've just never been able to get into it. I'm sure the story is fantastic but I find the gameplay to be extremely boring.

pretty much how I felt about the game. I liked the characters but playing it was never fun for me so I called it quits somewhere in the suburbs.

Zelda

Animal Crossing

Pokemon

Final Fantasy (JRPGs in general)

Anime games

Smash Bros

Mario Kart

The Last of Us

Metal Gear

I'm like the anti-GAF.

Iy3zm98Q5RukINei6ksX8qysKIlWQNe7uJzbusMh1IdqUN5GA04PjWp710EMfZILUhYJoMqgvdyLZLVGO2e7dYD9lEpCz3LWIZa9Y7k=w788-h332-nc

Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted series
Dead Rising series
Most Ubisoft games

I wouldn't say hate at all though. I just don't like them as much as many here do. I actually do like certain things in each of those games.

bobawesome

Hate is a strong word but I feel nothing but indifference for Demon's Souls. I respect that it was the first in the series and laid the foundation for Dark Souls 1 and 2 but I will never consider it equal to the other games.

There's also more praise than hate for Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment so I'll throw in that as well. I've said it ten times now but it's still the worst game I've spent money on in recent memory (and I bought Boogie for the Wii with real, tangible currency!).

omonimo

Banned
Halo was the first of it's kind, really. It was so wide open when the world was used to corridor shooters. Also aim assist, bullet magnetism, and a huge number of features that are now FPS staples originated there. Looking back it seems like a standard shooter but really it invented many of the standard.
To be honest I never found it the first of something. A lot of things remind me to other different games on pc. I suspect the most of the success comes to be the first good fps born on console.

God of War

Uncharted (2)
Well, not hate, just think they are bland.

Zelda Ocarina of Time
Although I did start with the Master Quest, which was a bad idea.

Borderlands

Far Cry (Except the first one)
Assassin's Creed (I enjoyed Black Flag though, but have a disdain for the rest of the series and I had to push myself through Black Flag. Still enjoyed it at the end, unlike other AC games)
Dragon Quest
Saints Row
Borderlands (Enemies that are sponges in FPS just doesn't feel right to me. Responsiveness of a shooter IMO is the feedback of something being defeated in a few shots, this game throws that off for me. Don't like.)
Any MOBA. Even back with the early DotA days on WC3 that all my friends played, I just can't get into it. Not a huge fan of multiplayer games any ways outside of MMORPGs, and the only MMORPG I truly like is EVE and in the past, UO.

'Overwhelmingly positive' reviews on Steam, The Wolf Among Us. The illusion of choice was much more diminished than other TellTale games (not played TWDS2 yet!) and the inventory system wasn't used as much as other TT games like Back To The Future. I enjoyed the lore and going batshit crazy in the QTE fight sequences, but I was expecting much more than what I played.

Arizato

Demon's/Dark Souls

Just could never get into them (Found the lack of story boring, the slow animations frustrating and the overall design uninteresting) and I really hated the first "arguments" some people were spitting out about a year after Demon's Souls dropped when I tried it: "You just dislike it because you suck at it."

Yup. I did not have the right to dislike it because they thought I sucked at it. More power to the people that likes the Souls games though. I hope you will have a lot of fun with Bloodborne!

Bayonetta made me want to gouge my eyes out. That game was one of the most unpleasant games I had the misfortune of playing last gen. Also...

Demon's Souls
Zelda
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Infamous 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Okami
LoL, Dota, WoW
Borderlands
Halo

I hate them all.

weekev

Banned
Im sorry but i agree with the other guy. Halo always felt very bland and soulless to me. Never understood the hype when it came out and still dont.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
GTA series would be the big one. Gave both 3 and 4 a good 15-20 hour chance and just didn't like them at all, nor finish either.

A lot of Nintendo's stuff as well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
FF7

FFX

Persona Arena

DotA/LoL *well not really hate but burned out moreso*

Donkey Kong Country 1

Super Mario World

Super Mario 64

Zelda: OoT

Most Ignavanias

Tenumi

Banned
Mario Kart, I just don't get it. There are so many good racing games and Mario Kart is so bad. It boggles my mind.

Do you perhaps have an interest in Simulation racing games, as in GT and Forza style game? That could definitely effect it.

As for me....

Elder Scrolls series (Have Skyrim, cannot get into it at all)
Uncharted Series (Do not feel the appeal of the games)

...Actually that's it, really.

I have a hard time enjoying puzzle games, so I'm not a huge Portal fan. I respect it, though.

I also have had a hard time getting into Mass Effect and Halo, as opposed to other games in their genres. I don't particularly know why.

Dark Souls is another.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Animal Crossing - I don't get it at all, I do all this stuff in real life, so why do I want to do it in a videogame? I'd rather socialize with real humans than pretend animal people.

Monster Hunter - I don't hate it, it's just not for me. Way too much fat, as I'd rather be hunting dinos than scavenging for items in preparation for a timed hunt.

Hate might be a bit strong seeing as I've played it for god knows how many hours, but I don't rate Diablo 3 as highly as it seems a lot of GAF does.

I find it repetitive and don't get what's so great about the gameplay. It just boils down to constant clicking of the mouse, and the odd numerical key press, requiring very little thought or strategy. In all the time I've spent playing it, I'm not sure I've ever genuinely enjoyed myself. It's usually a case of wanting to get a bit more XP to reach the next level, or the chance of finding a cool item that has kept me playing, rather than the fun.

It seems like it was cynically designed to exploit the player and is more of an addiction than a game.

I don't quite hate them (I actually admire how well crafted some of them are), but I have no interest in ever playing a Moba or RTS.

Top Bottom