• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games that everyone else loves do you hate?

SegaShack

Elder Scrolls series
The Last Of Us
Dead Island
Jak and Daxter
Resistance
Any Ratchet and Clank besides the 1st PS3 game
Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
Demon Souls series
GTA Series
Bioshock Series
Fallout Series
Team Fortress 2

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Limbo. Here's the reasoning as to why I don't like it.

Yeah, but...is that really all there was to it? Because (and I hate to use the word, because it mightn't be the right context for it) I felt it was pretty pretentious. It seemed that it was trying too hard at trying to tell us that this is what an "indie" game is supposed to be and it just rubbed me the the wrong way in that regard, because it looked like it was guilty of the same crimes as many of its AAA brothers were. All about the looks and little regard to the gameplay.

Zelda

Animal Crossing

Pokemon

Final Fantasy (JRPGs in general)

Anime games

Smash Bros

Mario Kart

The Last of Us

Metal Gear

I'm like the anti-GAF.
No Souls games? Then you are not the anti-GAF.

The most recent one has been Destiny.

Everyone in my office has been talking about how great it is since it released. I was extremely hesitant to pick it up based on what I heard about the MMO-esque mechanics at end game. I ended up winning a Destiny bundle through the Taco Bell promo, so I got the game for free.

The core gameplay is very solid, but that's mostly because it is literally Halo. I'm fighting a lot of not-Elites and not-Grunts and not-Brutes and not-Flood by other various sci-fi names using a lot of the same style weapons. But after I got past the core mechanics (which, admittedly, are enough fun to keep me playing until 20), there's a lot wrong with the game. I don't like that the stat system - or rather, the lack thereof. Stats don't do anything but reduce cooldowns and only the grenade reduction is worth a damn. I don't like that end game is basically "Do all the things you already did, but on harder difficulties". Which is compounded by the fact that there is absolutely no variance to missions or Strikes at all. Mobs spawn in the same locations, at the same time, with the same group makeup, with the same abilities. Destiny's version of "Hard Mode" is to just give mobs a shitload of health and call it a day. It wouldn't be so bad if the loot system wasn't the opposite of what you should do with a loot system. You have two options: you can rain loot from the sky but most of it is garbage (i.e. Diablo 3) or you can be really limited with loot but everything you get is amazeballs (i.e. most linear RPGs). Destiny gives you very little loot AND most of it is shit.

I actually argued this with a coworker. I got the Engram DLC pack and waited until level 20 to open it. I got my very first Legendary ... for a class I wasn't playing. She tried to argue that was good, because now I'm encouraged to play that class (which, by the way, there's almost no fucking difference in how the game plays across classes during leveling). Except, I didn't want to play that class, I wanted to stop playing the game. That's a huge risk to take as a developer, and generally a bad one.

Speaking of classes, I had another near-break point at level 15 when I unlocked Sunsinger and quickly realized that none of my progression carried over into the new class. Which means I no longer had double jump, a melee special, a special ability or even the use of fucking grenades until I re-leveled my secondary class. Which might have been OK if your XP gains weren't tied to your overall level. Which means, to make any real progress on your new class, you need to be killing mobs your level ... without most of the tools you've already earned through playing the game.

And the PvP, my god. Everything is a god damn one shot kill. Which worked both to my advantage and disadvantage frequently. And matchmaking seemed very intent in throwing my level 12 white-geared ass into matches with level 29 players in full Exotic/Legendary gear. Which, supposedly, shouldn't make much of a difference because of their 'scaling' system. But ... it absolutely does. Once I hit 20 and got a few pieces myself, I noticed it was much easier to kill everyone (and alternatively, survive them trying to kill me) - especially any unfortunate lowbie that decided to try out the PvP system before 20.

So, yeah, definitely one of those games that I have no idea why so many people love so much. It's got a great core game. It is very obvious that the shooter underneath the MMO was made by Bungie. But the MMO laid on top of that shooter was obviously made by a bunch of systems designers who don't have a clue and were just regurgitating things they did in other games that don't work at all in Destiny.

Maybe it'll be better in the sequels.

TheXbox

Borderlands is a crock of shite. It's a dismal shooting experience made worse by an ugly aesthetic and atrocious writing. Nothing about those games are funny or fun to play.

BioShock Infinite and Ace Attorney 5 are the first to come to mind, although it sounds like there's a lot more people on GAF that actually dislike Infinite. Both those games are popular in my group of friends, and I mean I don't HATE AA5 but I very much dislike it.

Fallout, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy. I don't think these are bad games, I just don't enjoy them. Oh and Watch Dogs, which I do think is a terrible game.

Molemitts

That was just the world map, all the core gameplay was sidescrolling

I suppose. Does that include the CD-I games then? Some of which were side scrollers. :p

It would still be easier to specify the two Zelda games you do like, instead of every one you don't like, though. If they even mean that.

Percy

Banned
Anything by Crytek basically. Good to look at, ass to play... and yes, I am including Crysis 1 in that.

Also: DOTA 2, Vanquish and Lost Odyssey spring to mind. More recently Shadow of Mordor also.

I would say Alan Wake and it's "sequel" as well, but not a lot of people seemed to "love" those in the first place so eh.

I really couldn't get into Gears of War. Guns were not satisfying to shoot, graphics and story were bland, and the game felt like it had a ton of input lag, especially online. Just really turned me off from the franchise.

God of War is another one. The game is fun for about 10 minutes but it's really just a boring headache after that. Tried 1 & 2, just couldn't like them.

Grizzo

I don't have any issues with some GBA ports such as Doom or Super Street Fighter Turbo II, but I know that some people absolutely despise them because of the limitations of the system

In fact, I actually love those games

Easy!
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Grand Theft Auto - all of them
Bonus: Zombie and Grifball gametypes in Halo

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I suppose. Does that include the CD-I games then? Some of which were side scrollers. :p

It would still be easier to specify the two Zelda games you do like, instead of every one you don't like, though. If they even mean that.
Yup! He can't wait to bomb some dodongos

If we're talking GAF, I agree with their general opinion most of the time. If we're talking the general gaming population, then pick any military shooter at random: it intersects precisely zero of my interests.

Please don't ban me for this...

Super Mario world. 3 and yoshis island are much better games.

Um, that's pretty much the consensus (including my opinion). I would assume most GAFers would agree.

Hotline Miami and The Binding of Isaac come to mind. I just can't get the appeal these games have. I tried playing both of the games in multiple occasions but I just can't.

Wow, you just nailed precisely the two acclaimed indie games that I don't actively like. Nothing particularly wrong with their mechanics but I never saw them as groundbreaking, and I dislike the imagery of both of them.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The only game I have ever hated is Skyward Sword. I have no idea how people can slog through all 40 hours and proceed to call it the best Zelda game. The game world is bland and lifeless, exploration is pretty much nonexistent, the graphics are blurry and drab, combat is shallow and repetitive, the overworlds are entirely disjointed from each other, the puzzles barely ever get challenging, the game world is more like a theme park then an actual place, Fi pops up way too much, and environments are reused way too much. It's not a bad game, but it is a bad Zelda game.

I've seen a lot of love for Dragon's Dogma on here. I played it for 4-5 hours when I got it off PS+ earlier this year and deleted it quickly. I actually felt sleepy when I played it. Maybe it starts slow, and gets better later on, but I didn't feel like slogging through a boring beginning to see what came later.

Also I don't really hate anything. I was just a bit bored. That's all.

While I don't hate it, I think the love for Super Mario 3D Land was way over the top. The game was ridiculously easy and I didn't find it very fun.

I thought exactly the same. The game felt very bland as a result; I got close to the end but couldn't be bothered to finish.

Tried Dragon Age: Origins after it was On The House on Origin. Didn't really gel with me.

TI82

Banned
Super Mario 3D World. Goddamn this game is bad.

1. Losing control features from previous 3d Mario's

2. Uninspired level design. "Oooh ice, water z desert, dessert, etc!"

3. Run and grab being the same button still!

4. Local multiplayer only

5. Throwing opponents off the edge with before mentioned run grab.

6. A live system... In 2014... With that shitty run grab feature.

I beat the game but damn it was not fun.

JC Lately

Diablo series. "Oh let's spend hours clicking the left mouse button just so we can spend more hours clicking the left mouse button through the same levels on a harder difficulty so I can get +4 suit of the same armor I already have instead of this scrub +3 armor I was wearing the last time I played this level."

All racing games that don't involve vechiuclar combat of some fashion. "Let's drive in a circle! Then let's do it again only faster!" Um yeah. Pass.

Anth0ny

Hate is a strong word.

I can't enjoy sports games or COD no matter how hard I try. I wouldn't say I hate them, though...

Wait, do mobile games count? Cause I fucking HATE that shit. All of them.

spekkeh

Banned
Diablo series. "Oh let's spend hours clicking the left mouse button just so we can spend more hours clicking the left mouse button through the same levels on a harder difficulty so I can get +4 suit of the same armor I already have instead of this scrub +3 armor I was wearing the last time I played this level."

All racing games that don't involve vechiuclar combat of some fashion. "Let's drive in a circle! Then let's do it again only faster!" Um yeah. Pass.

+1. Though I guess I'm more indifferent of them than hate. I like playing racing games once. Wouldn't buy one though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GTA

I can't get into being a criminal for crime's sake. There's no hook in them that doesn't make me feel like absolute shit or identify with the characters to get me over my dislike of playing a pure criminal. I'm fine with antiheroes and their ilk and I like Rockstar's other series a lot but I just can't get into GTA.

- Uncharted

- Gears of war

- Xenoblade story (the game is awesome, but everyone loves the story... never understood why, it's full of cliché and stupidity, worse than some shonen manga)

Hate is a strong word but i don't really like playing sim racers and jrpg games... Except for mario and the thousand year door (doesn't really count maybe). That one i loved. Also, i'm not that crazy about horror games, but i loved RE4.
Oh and i really don't like sports games like fifa and that kind of stuff. I like doing sports though.

Griss

Hate? HATE? People HATE these games?

I need to get the fuck outta here

What's your problem with the word hate? Hate is just strong dislike, nothing more. When it comes to entertainment, there's nothing wrong with expressing a strong dislike of something.

Top Bottom