• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which genres / franchises do you think will benefit the most from DualSense adaptive triggers & haptic feedback?

onQ123

I'm thinking it will be Call Of Duty / FPS & Grand Theft Auto.

I'm sure racing games will make great use of the features but I think the shooters are going to really stand out in the beginning before everyone just get used to it.

Third person/first person shooters, action/adventure, sports games

really every genre can give a nice benefit from the haptics if developed well

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Someone's gonna come in here to make a snarky comment about the "immersive Playstation exclusive template story driven cinematic narrative experiences".

But as someone who actually enjoys those, they're right.

spawn

The next Elder Scrolls, Last of Us 2, and Horizon zero dawn since they were talking about pulling a bow. Racing games, FPS, and TPS.

POak

Neo Member
I think it would be really cool if shooting games locked the right-hand trigger once you ran out of bullets, and remained so until you reloaded, leaving you to click on the reload button. I think this would add to the experience of, say, a Battlefield or CoD game.

It's hard to think about many other uses aside from the ones pointed here because triggers are tipically used to aim/shoot or accelerate/decelerate.

I hope developers take proper advantage of this, but don't overdo it as well, as I don't want triggers to be used for just about everything just so one can feel resistance in one's interactions with the game world and its objects.

onQ123

Resident Evil can also make great use of both of the features , the feeling or touch in a scary game might be too much for some people lol .

Imaging if they can make it feel like a spider is on your hands when you have to reach in a dark place in the game lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You have to hold the controller the added grip texture are a dream for Call of Duty players.

VALCON 82

minecraft!
seriously though i would be interested to know what team ninja and SSM might have in mind for it

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
All of them. I feel like rumble tech is underappreciated. I've loved it since the N64.

I'm glad it's back and getting improved. I remember when the PS3 launched without it. I was worried it was being left behind.

I want Killzone 2 remastered.

Still the most intense SP fps Ive played outside of Tarkov and one of the only games where i felt that rumble actually felt like a must have (wish i grabbed ps3 from storage before the lockdown).

Vawn

Banned
Does Xbox have something similar? I'm hoping so, otherwise a bunch of third-parties probably won't bother making much use of the tech.

onQ123

Does Xbox have something similar? I'm hoping so, otherwise a bunch of third-parties probably won't bother making much use of the tech.

No but some people have tried to make it out like this is the same thing as the rumble triggers.

Hopefully it catch on fast & force MS to add it to the controller within the 1st year or so.

Mokus

Overall action oriented games. Quantic Dream also could have maximize these new features, to bad they went from 2nd party to 3rd game studio.

onQ123

Yes, article written about it as well. Xbone has had similar tech since launch. Let me go find the link.
Here it is.

No it doesn't lol it has rumble triggers which is the same thing as the rumble that been in controllers for years but they have smaller ones on the trigger . this controller has voice coil motors that can create different haptic feedback & make you feel like you're touching different stuff plus it has adaptive triggers that can push back & make you feel like you're doing different stuff.

What Sony is doing is more like this demo from Microsoft

Norse

No it doesn't lol it has rumble triggers which is the same thing as the rumble that been in controllers for years but they have smaller ones on the trigger . this controller has voice coil motors that can create different haptic feedback & make you feel like you're touching different stuff plus it has adaptive triggers that can push back & make you feel like you're doing different stuff.

What Sony is doing is more like this demo from Microsoft

Obviously it's not the same, but the article does cover the similarities they share.

onQ123

Obviously it's not the same, but the article does cover the similarities they share.

Switch HD Ramble is closer to what DualSense will have but it will also have the adaptive trigger & touch pad so games can make it feel like you're squeezing different stuff with different softness & textures.

onQ123

I think the Adaptive Triggers will be the feature that Microsoft will have to respond to because it's not a new input that devs can ignore it's the triggers & people will notice a difference when playing shooters. I think they will release a special controller with Adaptive Triggers at some point maybe a controller built for shooters.

A little thing off topic, but there is a difference that I didn't notice before. Microsoft gives much more attention to protecting the triggers than Sony.

92633274_2308801605889345_155435025356029952_o.jpg

Flowxrz

Neo Member
I can’t think of a game that couldn’t really benefit from it.

Even typically mundane mini-games such as lockpicking could get a breath of fresh air with varying trigger tension.

onQ123

A little thing off topic, but there is a difference that I didn't notice before. Microsoft gives much more attention to protecting the triggers than Sony.

92633274_2308801605889345_155435025356029952_o.jpg

The hell does this have to do games? you're not going to sit your controller down while playing the games

I had my PS4 controller for about 6 years tossing it anywhere when I'm done & it's still in perfect condition , do you think the weight of the DualSense is going to crush the triggers? lol

The hell does this have to do games? you're not going to sit your controller down while playing the games

I had my PS4 controller for about 6 years tossing it anywhere when I'm done & it's still in perfect condition , do you think the weight of the DualSense is going to crush the triggers? lol

Not the weight, but maybe someone who throw it away when is done, and don't take care too much. At least the Xbox Controller has that plastic cover around the triggers.

Racing games will benefit greatly from haptic for players that don't use wheels. Racing games were the biggest beneficiary of the rumble motors in the Xbone controller, with the motors letting you know when wheels were spinning or brakes were locking up. I think that if implemented well haptic feedback will further add to that by actually pushing back to a degree.

onQ123

Not the weight, but maybe someone who throw it away when is done, and don't take care too much. At least the Xbox Controller has that plastic cover around the triggers.

It's a none issue I would worry more about the Xbox controller back touching the surface & picking up grits that can get into the triggers.

See how easy it is to create a issue where there isn't one?

My only concern is if the adaptive triggers will stand the test of time with the motors pushing back against people pulling the trigger.

Top Bottom