• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better-looking game: Killzone 2 or Killzone 3?

ScOULaris

While most people would probably agree that Killzone 2 is the best game in the series, I'd wager that there is more of a split of opinion when it comes to whether KZ2 or KZ3 looks better as a technical and artistic showcase for the PS3.

Without a doubt both games sit near the top of the graphical heap in the PS3 library, alongside other marvels like Uncharted 2/3, God of War 3 and Ascension, and The Last of Us. To me eye, I'd probably have to give the Killzone games the edge overall given how well realized their sci-fi warzone aesthetics are in combination with being very technically accomplished. Killzone 2 and 3 both utilize the unique SPU-driven design of the PS3 architecture in ways that very few (if any) other developers managed to during that lengthy console generation, and I love reading or listening to interviews or behind-the-scenes featurettes pertaining to the games' underlying tech.

This interview in particular is what prompted me to make this thread.

The end-result in both games is something akin to a CGI film in many ways. Both games are still visually arresting even when revisiting them today, and I find myself continually impressed with each new area, setpiece, enemy encounter, etc. Just take a look at these GIFs to see what I mean.

Killzone 2

la500To.gif
3083965-7808302693-28233.gif

hrgpa5.gif
WElpYk.gif

Killzone 3

While Killzone 3 has a much more varied color palette and arguably a clearer (albeit sometimes more jagged) image, the overabundance of post-processing eye candy in Killzone 2 puts it over the top for me. Killzone 3 has some absurdly gorgeous vistas and environments that are probably more technically impressive than anything seen in Killzone 2, but to my eye the second game has this perfect synergy between its art style and technical execution that makes it really unique in the console game space. It's just so damn immersive and filmic at the same time. Guerrilla's depiction of the ISA's invasion of Helghan in KZ2 is probably my favorite example of grounded militaristic sci-fi in all of gaming.

Check out Part 3 of this four-part behind-the-scenes documentary about Killzone 2 for some awesome insight into how Guerrilla Games utilized the PS3's cell architecture to get such spectacular results.

They reduced the strength of the near view model depth of field as well as the strength of per object motion blur in KZ3.

That basically is sacrilege to me.
hrgpa5.gif

Cannot unsee the brass ejecting from the middle of the rifle model where it makes no sense.

Flousn

I can't comment on the graphics, because I never had a PS3 but I would really welcome a PS4 remaster.
Always wanted to play KZ 2 & 3.

RangerX

Banned
Definitely KZ2, mainly because of the art direction. Helghan is such a great setting. My favourite shooter of the entire generation.

Tosyn_88

I remember when the Killzone discussion was still a thing until Sony realised they couldn't compete and make it a thing.

In terms of visuals, the space, colour and performance on Killzone 3 wins. Killzone 2 looks consistent - yes - because it's mostly one palette which fits it's edge Lord approach.

The issue that existed for killzone has a whole has always been it's lack of identity. What was killzone, was it a semi sim, a fun shooter, action shooter etc. It had an idea but it never really manages to land on somewhere.

It's good GG found something with Horizon otherwise they would have been in trouble. The future of killzone is dead if I'm being honest. It cannot occupy any space in the shooter genre which is a shame because it does offer something, it just needed more belief in itself.

Lifeline

KZ2 moments were more memorable for me, I don't think I even finished KZ3.

KZ2 reminds me a lot of Dunkirk, in that I didn't care for the story or characters, where they really shined was the experience. Graphics and sound effects were great. From the beginning where you crash land onto the planet to those gritty room by room battles and the firefights on Helghan streets, an incredible experience.

MBS

Banned
Killzone 2 looks and "feels" better in the eye test compared to 3 and had a more CG-ey look on it. Also as others mentioned they had to reduce some effects in 3 to compensate with the better res/texture work. Also the green/brown pallete and the bigger enviroments of 2 made you feel like you are a part of an actual open warzone, and not just a bunch of set pieces and rooms to clear.

Rolf NB

Killzone 2. Didn't like the snow level and the Phazon levels in Killzone 3, but the greenish dark brown urban bonanza in Killzone 2 worked for me.

dugdug

Banned
My gut instinct is to say KZ2, but, man, 3 is a great looking game. I do think I prefer the grittier color palette of 2, though. 3 can feel a bit over-stylized in places.

johntown

Banned
Killzone 3 was one of the best looking games on the PS3 at the time.

It is hard to say which one really looks better but I think Killzone 3 has a slight edge over 2.

Killzone 2 to me looks better. It has something to its colors, depth of view and animation that makes it look better but not by a mile compared to Killzone 3.

Both games are incredible but i would say Killzone 2 is a masterpiece. The game really is amazing and probably my favorite shooter from the 360/PS3 gen.

I remember people around me raving about Gears and COD but i was always like "you guys haven't seen or played Killzone 2 because it's the shit...".

ScOULaris

KZ2 reminds me a lot of Dunkirk, in that I didn't care for the story or characters, where they really shined was the experience. Graphics and sound effects were great. From the beginning where you crash land onto the planet to those gritty room by room battles and the firefights on Helghan streets, an incredible experience.
Hm. That's actually a really cool analogy. I feel the same way about both the game and the movie.

orborborb

Killzone 3 had much more varied combat encounters as well as locations, and controlled so much better. I can't think of a single reason to enjoy Killzone 2 more except maybe the plot.

Duffk1ng

2 is more technically impressive but it's so astonishingly grey that I simply can't say it's a nice game to look at all. It's also not an especially fun game to play thanks to the atrocious controls / input lag. I was always amused when people defended those controls as "weighty" or "realistic", as if when turning to aim at a target just out of their field of view in real life, soldiers would accidentally turn 30 degrees past it, then sluggishly amble another 30 degrees past the other way, then edge a tiny bit closer and closer to aiming at them until they finally line up the enemy, at which point they move away.

3 is noticeably less ambitious technically but also much more pleasing to look at with brighter colours without compromising on the general aesthetic. It's also much more fun to play with the tighter controls, even if it sacrifices some of the pacing in favour of the instant gratification / highly railroaded CoD structure.

Reall wish there'd been a game half way between them, with the more considered pace of Killzone 2 but the controls and visuals of 3. Same with the multiplayer.

ScOULaris

Wow, are my eyes forgiving or does Killzone 2 still look really fucking good even by today's standards?

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. The game is still absolutely astonishing to look at, even today. I was just playing it the other day and marveling at the audiovisual spectacle.

Here's the video from which I took most of the GIFs in the OP.

I think a KZ2 HD remaster would sell, that game was one of my all time favorite console FPS, single and multiplayer. I was always mad it never came out for PC so I was stuck running it at like 20fps.

Sephzilla

Killzone 2 looks better at a technical level to me but I prefer Killzone 3's look. Killzone 2 just lacks color to a depressing degree.

I'd have to say KZ2, and not just because it's my favorite FPS MP of all time. The art direction was just phenomenal in that game. You really felt the grit of the world. I don't think we'll ever get another game like KZ2; it was a true gem.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hard to say but its obvious that some of the visual effects were paired back in KZ3. That said it looked much more detailed and crisper as a result.

Both games looked incredible and its disappointing they never got a PS4 remaster. I think they will look stunning in 4k 60 fps HDR.

Strike

3 technically (Better AA, Better textures, more polys, less input lag), 2 artistically (post-processing like deferred rendering and heavy motion blur really add to the dark, foreboding atmosphere the game has that later games in the series were never able to replicate)

Gitaroo

why does people say KZ2 has bigger levels? I remember CPU culling allow them to have 4x bigger environment in KZ3, the level where you pilot the exosuit is already significantly larger than anything in KZ2.

I'd have to say KZ2, and not just because it's my favorite FPS MP of all time. The art direction was just phenomenal in that game. You really felt the grit of the world. I don't think we'll ever get another game like KZ2; it was a true gem.

Yep they nailed the oppressive atmosphere of Helghan. I liked the variety in KZ3 but some of the effects were clearly paired back (game probably ran better as a result but my memory of it is fuzzy cuz it wasn't as engaging as KZ2 overall).

GHG

KZ2 had a more distinct style to it.

While 3 might be better technically, I prefer the overall look and atmosphere of 2.

I'd take a PS4 re-release of 2 & 3 anyday.

I think KZ2 has much more going on from an artistic point of view so I'd give it the edge. KZ3 from a technical point of view does have a lot going on.

Killzone 2. That game was gorgeous to look at. Too bad the gameplay and controls were complete and utter excrement.

If there's a HD bundle of Killzone for the PS4, I really, REALLY hope they look at the controls and fix them. The series had so much potential, but between poor narrative in 3 and bad controls...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
killzone 3 obviously...KZ2 is too grey...KZ3 is way more colorful and full of variety. KZ2 always embodied the 'dudebro try hard grimy and brown FPS" stereotype that was going on at the time. you had to listen to rico and all those annoying idiots in your team the whole game, it didn't help that you moved slow as molasses due to the crazy input lag

Partially why i preferred bungies halo much better compared to KZ in general, bungie knew(and still knows) art direction and maximizing visuals in addition to snappy 30 second stop and pop gameplay loops.

SimonM7

Killzone 3 had much more varied combat encounters as well as locations, and controlled so much better. I can't think of a single reason to enjoy Killzone 2 more except maybe the plot.

This. But don't underestimate the power of rationalising engine input lag as "heavy realistic feel!".

I honestly wouldn't even give KZ2 the edge in plot. Being an invader felt super gross. I much preferred the oppressive atmosphere of 3, where my fighting felt justified and like a desperate measure, rather than sorta steamrolling somebody's home planet.

KORNdoggy

Technically and even artistically i think 3. But there's something about that blurry, non responsive, grey corridoor shooter that holds a special place in my heart.

I'd totally be up for a collection (2/3/mercenary) on PS4.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
2 looks better, more like CG. 3 looks great too though. And I thought 3 was a surprisingly solid game after hearing so much crap about it. Not as good as 2, but still.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I think 2 looks better, just because it's more cohesive and 3 is jaggy.

I do wish that sony rereleased the trilogy and maybe port the vita game (I've never played it) to ps4. There's a lot of people on ps4 that missed the ps3.

pixelation

I'm willing to bet that PS4 remasters would not look as good as the PS3 versions due to PS3's unique architecture. Missing/toned down effects and whatnot.

I'm willing to bet that PS4 remasters would not look as good as the PS3 versions due to PS3's unique architecture. Missing/toned down effects and whatnot.

Everything they did for the graphics on the SPUs they could probably do much more efficiently on GPU in the PS4 version.

I think only oversight would lead to somethings missing or being toned down, not some technical problem like we saw regarding transparencies in PS2 to PS3 remasters.

Neith

Banned
KZ2 had shit tier water among other things. They borrowed some tech from ND for that. 3 is more polished overall with much higher res textures around. But its art direction is a bit weird at points.

I definitely enjoyed my time with 2's MP a lot more.

Top Bottom