• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of the ten TGA GOTY winners is the best game?

The best game out of The Game Awards GOTY winners is...

• Total voters

LakeOf9

The Game Awards are ten years old, there are now ten winners of the event for us to pick from. The ten Game Awards winners represent some very high quality great games (and also Dragon Age Inquisition).

Of these ten, how would you rank them? Which one comes out at the top for you?

LakeOf9

For me:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. The Last of Us Part II
  3. Elden Ring
  4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  5. Baldur's Gate 3
  6. God of War
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  8. It Takes Two
  9. Dragon Age Inquisition
  10. Overwatch

The top five is GOAT'd

Portugeezer

Overall Elden Ring for me, but Witcher 3 was more impressive for its time (although Bloodborne was better than everything).

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Breath Of The Wild is probably one of the most influential and important games of all time - and certainly the top of that list.

Last edited:
It is impossible for me to choose between Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3... Both are the peak of the genre, at completely opposite ends of the RPG spectrum. I can't choose! I won't!

It's a damn good list though. Hilarious that the Inquisition year we all knew was terrible, and looks even worse in hindsight. I've actually played Overwatch more than any of these games and it was incredible back then, but that one hasn't aged great either. I played It Takes Two with my fiancé and honestly find it pretty damn boring.

Everything else on the list is fucking aces.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Tie between Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate, I suppose.

Aside from Overwatch and maybe Dragon's Age this is a very good list either way.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not sure about best but worst is easily Dragon Age Inquisition.

Elden Ring, BG3, BOTW, TW3 are the top contenders for me. I could pick any of those.

Last edited:
For me it is Witcher 3, but it isn't a fair comparison because I haven't played either Baldurs Gate 3 or Breath of the Wild (Haven't had a Nintendo since the Wii). Many others are going to say Elden Ring, but its story just doesn't live up to the Witcher 3 for me, even though the game play is almost perfect. I don't remember it like the Witcher though. Speaking of games that have aged poorly in my mind, I can barely remember anything about Dragon Age Inquisition. A few years ago I probably would have ranked God of War as top, but for some reason it doesn't hold as fond of memories for me now. Time either makes the heart grow fonder or makes you forget about things.

Also, an interesting discussion is what is the best game of the past 10 years not represented on the list? RDR2 is an obvious standout, and I would have it up there with the best of this list. What are some others?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Also, an interesting discussion is what is the best game of the past 10 years not represented on the list? RDR2 is an obvious standout, and I would have it up there with the best of this list. What are some others?
Bloodborne.

RDR2 is gutter trash.

ungalo

My favorite is The Witcher 3, i wouldn't say it's the best. But it's by far the one who impacted me the most, made me love gaming again.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Personally, I'd go with Sekiro..slightly over Elden Ring, Witcher 3 and BOTW but its very close for them all!

I haven't played BG3 yet but that will change this chrimbo!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Haven't played Baldur's Gate 3 yet, so I'll stick to the one that was a remarkable experience to me and real challenge: Sekiro.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Let's see, the ones off the top of my head that I think are worth considering:

• Bloodborne
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Persona 5
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • Hades
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Alan Wake II

Camreezie

Let's see, the ones off the top of my head that I think are worth considering:

• Bloodborne
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Persona 5
  • Red Dead Redemption II
  • Hades
  • God of War Ragnarok
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Alan Wake II
+Bayonetta 2

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Elden Ring
3. Breath of the Wild
4. Sekiro
5. The Witcher 3
6. God of War
7. Overwatch
8. The Last of Us Part 2
9. It Takes Two
10. Dragon Age Inquisition

I haven't actually played DA:I but I'm fairly confident it'd still be bottom 3.

ByWatterson

It's Elden Ring. Not super close.

But the best game to ever win any Game Award is No Man's Sky. Just wasn't up to par for its eligible GOTY year.

WitchHunter

Banned
Dragon Age Inquisition - Shitstorm
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Well deserved
God of War - Best reboot, well deserved
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Has some very annoying game mechanics, otherwise, aok.
The Last of Us Part II - Horrendous shitstorm, send people responsible into labor camps :D.
Elden Ring - Visually a masterpiece. Open world fucked up the challenges. You waltz through anyone, anytime. Bosses are like sunflower seed vendors at an NFL game.
Baldur's Gate 3 - Best voiceover and acting plus visuals, rest is meh.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is hard...

It's either Baldur's Gate 3 or Elden Ring for me...making a choice feels like betrayal.

nikos

Overwatch, by far, with It Takes Two in second place.

The rest I've never finished. Never played TLoU 2 or BG3 (won't count the ~10 minutes I gave that game).

Shame Overwatch is currently being destroyed by its community and moderation.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Elden Ring by a landslide for me. Second would probably be Baldur's Gate 3 (and I haven't even played it yet, I just know it's special). Third probably BotW.

Banjo64

cumsessed
DA, Overwatch, TLoUII and GoW stick out like a sore thumb on that list. Sad that TotK couldn’t be included instead of BOTW.

Denton

Poor It Takes Two. It was a fun creative game, although I never finished it.

Anyway, Witcher 3 by significant margin.

BG3 second.

For me, better games that are not on the list, but are better than 90% of the list (everything except TW3) are:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Cyberpunk 2077 2.1 PL
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Dishonored 2
Prey

Last edited:

Markio128

It was a toss up between BOTW and TLOU2, and I plumped for TLOU2. I’m already flip-flopping in my head, but I love them both equally.

Shut0wen

Breath Of The Wild is probably one of the most influential and important games of all time - and certainly the top of that list.
I believe this to, especially considering what it did to a pre existing IP to begin with, while another innovative game behind it would imo witcher 3 or elden ring, witcher 3 for its quests storys and many possibilities of completing quests while elden ring literally made the DS formula possible to a free roaming game

Svejk

Playing The Witcher 3 was one of the most memorable gaming moments in my life. I couldn't believe how incredible it was back then and couldn't stop talking about it... Then the DLC came and just polished up that cake with a sweet, sweet icing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Poor It Takes Two. It was a fun creative game, although I never finished it.

Anyway, Witcher 3 by significant margin.

BG3 second.

For me, better games that are not on the list, but are better than 90% of the list (everything except TW3) are:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Cyberpunk 2077 2.1 PL
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Dishonored 2
Prey
I gave it a pity vote. Only played a little but it was great when my kids were quarantined apart due to Covid amd they could play together.

Top Bottom