• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which past PlayStation CEO would you want back?

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
For me most likely Shawn Layden.

The PS4 era was bloody fantastic in my opinion.

Some of the titles I loved:
Bloodborne
Shadow of Colossus remake
Last Guardian
Spiderman
Horizon Zero Dawn
Killzone Shadowfall
Unchartered 4
Last of us 2
God of War
FFVii remake

The hits just go on and on With most under Shawn’ watch.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whoever would bring back

200.gif

Unknown?

For me most likely Shawn Layden.

The PS4 era was bloody fantastic in my opinion.

Some of the titles I loved:
Bloodborne
Shadow of Colossus remake
Last Guardian
Spiderman
Horizon Zero Dawn
Killzone Shadowfall
Unchartered 4
Last of us 2
God of War
FFVii remake

The hits just go on and on With most under Shawn’ watch.
Shawn sucked, most of those games weren't greenlit by him. He had the chance to get the Crash IP back and decided to work with Activision to bring that series back with a timed exclusive remake. Under his watch, many studios were shut down but that was probably more due to House.

Ken Kutaragi. Is there any other answer? He built the Playstation brand and helped setup the PS2 to be the juggernaut legendary console it was. The games OP listed were great, but the sheer variety of first-party offerings during the PS1 to PS2 era are unmatched.

Gotta agree with this. Yeah the PS3 was a misfire at launch but the thing was innovative as hell and at the end of the day, was the right way to go tech-wise. I think that system was a victim of the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war, and Sony wanting to replicate the effect of PS2's DVD with PS3's Blu-ray.

You factor out the Blu-ray and you'd of had a much more affordable system to produce at launch, probably a somewhat better GPU, and even less time for Sony 1P to start really cooking (which would've cut deeper into 360's momentum, earlier). And Blu-ray was something pushed by the other parts of the company, not Kutaragi, to my knowledge.

Kaz Hirai wouldn't be a bad follow-up pick though; the guy led the PS3 to a path of clear recovery (and all of Sony, for that matter), while simultaneously supporting the PSP.

Sony games are supposed to take at least 4 years to complete, right?

So I think we won't see the results of any SIE or Playstation Studios CEO's management until 5 years after they take over.

For example, we have Jim Ryan, authorized the production of 10 games as a service but none have been released yet.

Unknown?

So I think we won't see the results of any SIE or Playstation Studios CEO's management until 5 years after they take over.

For example, we have Jim Ryan, authorized the production of 10 games as a service but none have been released yet.
He also authorized like 12 other non-GaaS games too but after he's gone we'll have people saying those amazing AAA games were the result of new management.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

If only there was a major worldwide reason that could explain the delay in development for several years 🤔

If only...

The 10 GAAS games didn't take from the budget for traditional games. If it wasn't authorised the budget would remain the same. Sony need to protect itself from the sudden drop in losses from removal of third party games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Gotta agree with this. Yeah the PS3 was a misfire at launch but the thing was innovative as hell and at the end of the day, was the right way to go tech-wise. I think that system was a victim of the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war, and Sony wanting to replicate the effect of PS2's DVD with PS3's Blu-ray.

You factor out the Blu-ray and you'd of had a much more affordable system to produce at launch, probably a somewhat better GPU, and even less time for Sony 1P to start really cooking (which would've cut deeper into 360's momentum, earlier). And Blu-ray was something pushed by the other parts of the company, not Kutaragi, to my knowledge.

Kaz Hirai wouldn't be a bad follow-up pick though; the guy led the PS3 to a path of clear recovery (and all of Sony, for that matter), while simultaneously supporting the PSP.
yeah, the bluray cost $250 at launch and sony shoved it down our throats because they wanted to win the bluray/hd-dvd wars. remove $250 from the ps3 bom and they couldve launched it for a lot cheaper even with the cell and that awful rsx gpu.

Ken Kutaragi probably because he did help build the PlayStation into the brand it is now and he seemed the most aggressive. Also, I would choose whoever would at least try to create more first party diversity on PlayStation again and cares about Japanese games.

Unknown?

yeah, the bluray cost $250 at launch and sony shoved it down our throats because they wanted to win the bluray/hd-dvd wars. remove $250 from the ps3 bom and they couldve launched it for a lot cheaper even with the cell and that awful rsx gpu.
I'd have rather had the original vision which was a second cell used for GPU rather than crappy Nvidia GPU. Also two HDMI and three Ethernet ports.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Andrew House.

Humble, spoke fluent Japanese, was well respected. He helped set in motion Sony again after the PS3 era and broadened their ambitions.

He'd be a great leader for the new a
Initiatives.
this is the only right answer. he understood what made Playstation so great. The first party exclusives and doubled down on them. He didnt ask for endless sequels like a greedy exec. he allowed his devs to make next gen only games and new IPs. he created a gamer focused console that destroyed the competition. he made the pro for hardcore gamers knowing full well he needed their business instead of losing them to valve, amd and nvidia. he didnt waste his money moneyhatting exclusive after exclusive. i think ff7 was the only major thing he paid for.

he went out and signed kojima literally two days after he got fired. he helped built his studio from scratch. he allowed him access to sucker punch then GG's internal engine. He didnt make idiotic statements like Phil and Jimbo do on a constant basis.

That said, charging for playing online and closing down Evolution studios are somethings i would never forgive him for. If DC had take the same path as the horizon series, it wouldve been selling better than mainline GT entries just like horizon. And we would not be paying nearly $90 a year just to play our $70 games online.

Unknown?

this is the only right answer. he understood what made Playstation so great. The first party exclusives and doubled down on them. He didnt ask for endless sequels like a greedy exec. he allowed his devs to make next gen only games and new IPs. he created a gamer focused console that destroyed the competition. he made the pro for hardcore gamers knowing full well he needed their business instead of losing them to valve, amd and nvidia. he didnt waste his money moneyhatting exclusive after exclusive. i think ff7 was the only major thing he paid for.

he went out and signed kojima literally two days after he got fired. he helped built his studio from scratch. he allowed him access to sucker punch then GG's internal engine. He didnt make idiotic statements like Phil and Jimbo do on a constant basis.

That said, charging for playing online and closing down Evolution studios are somethings i would never forgive him for. If DC had take the same path as the horizon series, it wouldve been selling better than mainline GT entries just like horizon. And we would not be paying nearly $90 a year just to play our $70 games online.
House did some good but as far as first party goes, many studios were shut down under his watch. Maybe that was forced, idk, but he also didn't try to acquire any close partners. 1st party was dire under him unless it was one of the main big ones.

If only there was a major worldwide reason that could explain the delay in development for several years 🤔

If only...

The 10 GAAS games didn't take from the budget for traditional games. If it wasn't authorised the budget would remain the same. Sony need to protect itself from the sudden drop in losses from removal of third party games.
He also authorized like 12 other non-GaaS games too but after he's gone we'll have people saying those amazing AAA games were the result of new management.

I give as an example the 10 games as a service that Jim Ryan approved because it is easy to verify that they have not actually been released on the market yet.

I don't doubt that he would also approve the production of more traditional single-player games. but 4 years as president of SIE is not enough time to reap what he sowed, the same will happen with the next CEO

ElCasual

Neither. Some of them closed studios that today are needy. The Big fault was close Evolution, Zipper and Japan Studios.

Last edited:

Aenima

It would be Ken Katuragi if he didnt almost wiped out the PS division with the PS3, showing he was clearly getting out of touch with what a gaming console should be. Kaz Hirai did a good job fixing Katuragi mess, and its the king of the PS memes.

My favorite was Andrew House.

Someone new that wants to cherish Playstation (PS3 remasters, new singleplayer Sony AAA games etc.) and also brings new stuff on the table (GAAS which I don't care for)

It's time to celebrate what Playstation is.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ken, the legend, Kutaragi

Skyfox

Been trying for the past 20 minutes to upload any gif or mp4 of Kaz but gaf won't take them.

Kind of annoying.

Neither. Some of them closed studios that today are needy. The Big fault was close Evolution, Zipper and Japan Studios.
But hasn't Evolution been underperforming before they were disbanded? Motorstorm fell of a cliff. DriveClub had massive issues at launch, never really recovered and only sold what, 2 million copies?

Top Bottom