• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which past PlayStation CEO would you want back?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Phil Harrison. Bring back the quadruple agent.
All the stuff he knows that he’s had to sign massive NDA’s for in any job he’s taken.

They’d all be in a board meeting

Exec one ‘I hear MS is developing this radical new way to distribute software via pigeons’

Phil [cough cough, splutter, wink] ‘well you know my NDA means I cannot talk about such things’

Exec one ‘right it’s not pigeons’

Exec two ‘well I heard they lost 20 billion in game pass revenue’

Phil [taps nose, rubs eye, coughs] ‘well you know my NDA means I cannot talk about such things’

Exec two ‘right. It was 30 billion’

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont care about CEOs, all them are same to me. I said this before but you guys obsession with them is so fucking weird to me.

Inviusx

Taking memes out of the equation, Kaz seemed like the weakest CEO of the bunch. The PS3 era was rough, while a lot of popular franchises began during that era, they were brought about by studios who were allowed to flourish in the PS2 era. I would say Andrew House showed the best leadership, pulling Playstation back on top strongly, putting Cerny in charge of technical design, giving studios long creative leashes to work under. He made it easy for Jim Ryan to step in and keep the momentum going. Kaz almost ruined the brand, Andrew House saved it.

Hudo

pswes16rhc2418iftf.jpg

cireza

Their job is to make money for their respective company and investors but any means necessary, they are not your friend…all them are like that.
They all manage money that's for sure, but they will each have a different vision of where their company has to invest. So it can change a lot of things.

Danjin44

They all manage money that's for sure, but they will each have a different vision of where their company has to invest. So it can change a lot of things.
Personally the only people I care about in gaming Industry are the devs who make the games I care about, I don’t care about CEOs.

cireza

Personally the only people I care about in gaming Industry are the devs who make the games I care about, I don’t care about CEOs.
I don't care much about CEOs but it is interesting to know where a company you like is headed.

Of course devs, composers, game-designers and artists are often much more likable. Rieko Kodama will remain in my heart forever.

FunkMiller

Andrew House oversaw arguably the best period in PlayStation’s history in terms of consumer retention and satisfaction. So, him.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Cowboy Jack Tretton for nostalgia.

Kaz for the memes and he seemed good.

Andrew House also seems like a good shout.

However, I'm expecting new blood.

Danjin44

I don't care much about CEOs but it is interesting to know where a company you like is headed.

Of course devs, composers, game-designers and artists are often much more likable. Rieko Kodama will remain in my heart forever.
But that’s just it I don’t like or even care about the actual companies themselves, they are not my friend and I’m not theirs. I demand and they supply….nothing more and nothing less.

I only care about devs because at end of the day they are artists and they are ones making the games I enjoy.

cireza

But that’s just it I don’t like or even care about the actual companies themselves, they are not my friend and I’m not theirs. I demand and they supply….nothing more and nothing less.

I only care about devs because at end of the day they are artists and they are ones making the games I enjoy.
They are the ones making the games that fits the direction given by the upper management ;)

Nitty_Grimes

Reading in books Ken was an asshole and not that kind of management material.

He’d fire people on Fridays then on Monday tell them he didn’t mean it.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Might be time for someone who identifies as female to land the gig? Or are Sony still stuck in the 90s when it comes to CEO?

Drew1440

Whichever one could bring back the feeling that came with opening the original PlayStation for the first time. I wish every PS5 game started like this:

play playstation GIF
I'll never understand why they got rid of the jingle in one of the PS3 updates.
How was Ken Kutaragi arrogant during PS3 gen? Overly ambitious with Cell to some extent? Yeah. But that infamous "two jobs" quote is actually not the way people remember. The way he actually said it was more in the way of someone seeing buying the system as worth doing even if it meant working harder to get a bit more money to buy it. He never said it in an arrogant way like, how, Don Mattrick did about military people on submarines without internet access. That was an arrogant response.

Outside of that, there are quotes of Kutaragi being a bit blunt with Hayao Nakayama at Sega before the PS1 & Saturn launched, but IIRC they were golfing buddies and I guess the words were exchanged in a way a friend talking a bit of smack would say them, but now pretend these are middle-aged men. Honestly outside of the Blu-ray stuff I don't understand why people call PS3 the 'Arrogant Sony' era; there are no quotes actually said by Kutaragi & co. belittling gamers, and the PS3 itself was packed with a ton of tech making it better value for money than the 360 (considering all the add-ons you had to buy for a 360 to provide the same experience as PS3. Even then you lacked some things like a SD card reader).

Sony got overly ambitious and paid for it, but I don't think any of their choices with PS3 were just them coasting off PS2's success.
Only thing I found arrogant was their excuse as for why the PS3 Sixaxis controller lacked any vibration, calling it a last generation feature when really it was because they didn't want to pay any royalties/patents.
The launch PS3 was still be best value for a console, a high end gaming machine and a bluray player in 2006 for $599, not forgetting there was an even cheaper model.

VAVA Mk2

How was Ken Kutaragi arrogant during PS3 gen? Overly ambitious with Cell to some extent? Yeah. But that infamous "two jobs" quote is actually not the way people remember. The way he actually said it was more in the way of someone seeing buying the system as worth doing even if it meant working harder to get a bit more money to buy it. He never said it in an arrogant way like, how, Don Mattrick did about military people on submarines without internet access. That was an arrogant response.

Outside of that, there are quotes of Kutaragi being a bit blunt with Hayao Nakayama at Sega before the PS1 & Saturn launched, but IIRC they were golfing buddies and I guess the words were exchanged in a way a friend talking a bit of smack would say them, but now pretend these are middle-aged men. Honestly outside of the Blu-ray stuff I don't understand why people call PS3 the 'Arrogant Sony' era; there are no quotes actually said by Kutaragi & co. belittling gamers, and the PS3 itself was packed with a ton of tech making it better value for money than the 360 (considering all the add-ons you had to buy for a 360 to provide the same experience as PS3. Even then you lacked some things like a SD card reader).

Sony got overly ambitious and paid for it, but I don't think any of their choices with PS3 were just them coasting off PS2's success.
He said things like "PlayStation 3 will instill discipline" and "children will want to work to save up for a PS3....a $600 console in 2006.". Some of the things he said about it we absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom