• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which series is the best in the Beat em' up genre? -poll-

Which series/game is the best of the beat em' up genre?

• Total voters
(Hack n' slash not included)
The beat em up genre has many series across multiple systems, and is one of the only genres that for better or for worse has never really strayed from the old arcade style the genre originated from.

There are many great hits from:

Sengoku
Final Fight
Streets of Range
Double dragon

and much much more. However, which series (or non series game ) do you think is the BEST the genre had to offer?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Battle Circuit, Armored Warriors and other one-off games are more fun than individual games in other series to me. Those can also be hit or miss, Sengoku 3 is pretty great but the previous games not so imo.

Generally I like having some variety in the movesets (a la fighting games but obviously less usually) so games like Final Fight seem severely outdated to me, I wouldn't play or replay them a lot these days.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The Bouncer lol

How is there no Ninja Turtles in that poll

Honorable mention - Tekken Force

Last edited:

Stuart360

Out of those games i picked Streets of Rage. Streets of Rage 2 is arguably the best scrolling beat em up ever imo, such a landmark game for me.
I think TMNT Turtles in Time should of been on the list as well, amazing game, one of the best in the genre.

Alexios

Should have probably put River City/Kunio-kun games in the poll though, pretty long running series itself :p

I like the feel of the combat in those usually also, but I'm not a huge fan of how the rest rpg-like stat/exploration stuff are handled, then again they're decent and differentiate the series to most so it's still cool.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Out of those games i picked Streets of Rage. Streets of Rage 2 is arguably the best scrolling beat em up ever imo, such a landmark game for me.
I think TMNT Turtles in Time should of been on the list as well, amazing game, one of the best in the genre.
TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES) I agree with.
Arcade and rshelled, not so much.

kyubajin

Streets of Rage 2, the best soundtrack ever, great stages and enemy design, an overall timeless experience.

Should have probably put River City/Kunio-kun games in the poll though, pretty long running series itself :p

I like the feel of the combat in those usually also, but I'm not a huge fan of how the rest rpg-like stat/exploration stuff are handled, then again they're decent and differentiate the series to most so it's still cool.

You can only have ten poll options, that's why I included (Other)

Alexios

Okay, I take back my previous post. Let me try again.

Musou. There can be no other answer, but the Kunio series is a close second.
Ooh, if Musou count then Basara counts too. I really like the way those handle player controls, 3 especially which I played a lot (on Wii back then, what a great port!) was really quite fun, if not without issues.

Loved how different some characters in that played also, like Ieyasu with being able to charge up almost every punch and move!

Last edited:

benjohn

My vote goes to the Streets of Rage. The music, game play and general feel of the game is untouched. I always thought that the series is one of the finest in gaming history

Ooh, if Musou count then Basara counts too. I really like the way those handle player controls, 3 especially which I played a lot (on Wii back then, what a great port!) was really quite fun, if not without issues.

I don't think Mousou would count since 95%+ of Mousou is hack n' slash.

Alexios

I don't think Mousou would count since 95%+ of Mousou is hack n' slash.
Well, what's the difference really? Weapons? There are characters that primarily wield weapons in clear-cut cases of beat 'em up games, like that guy in Cadillacs & Dinosaurs or even Sengoku 3's characters or hey, Guardian Heroes (weird nobody else mentioned that yet, that's some cool shit there). Here's Ieyasu in SB:

Last edited:
Double Dragon for the aesthetic and legacy.

Course gameplay-wise most of the Double Dragon games don't hold up. But then there's Double Dragon Advance, which is one of the best 2d beat-em ups around. So DD for me.

I grew up playing a lot of beat 'em ups but my favorite series was probably Final Fight. My favorite singular game would be Turtles in Time.

Now if we're counting Musou games, Dynasty Warriors is hands down my favorite series.

All day, every damn day

finalfight2boxart.png

NickFire

Close this thread and burn the server it was posted to. Best beat em up poll without classic 4 player side scrolling Ninja Turtles as an option? Ban the OP!

/s on the ban the OP part. No /s on burning the server and erasing any evidence this poll ever existed.

Hack n' Slash is more for RPGs where it is more about defeating enemies than doing RPG stuff. Saying something isn't a beat 'em up because there are weapons is like saying Soul Calibur isn't a fighting game, it's hack n' slash.

Alexios

Yes if it's the primary weapon it's a hack n' slash, that term exists for a reason. You're basically saying calling all adventure games point n' click.
Again, you have Sengoku in your poll though. Most of 3's characters primarily use weapons.

Last edited:

Alexios

The fact you can only really say that for one game should tell you something.
That I haven't played the others, basically. Have you? Quick google of some 2 footage just now just for you shows a similar enough weapon based style, if clearly older and worse. I just didn't want to speak of games I haven't played. I also don't believe Basara becomes a different genre if I play with Ieyasu who uses no weapons than if I play with Mitsunari who uses swords.

Last edited:
That I haven't played the others, basically. Have you? Quick google of some 2 footage just now just for you shows a similar enough weapon based style, if clearly older and worse. I just didn't want to speak of games I haven't played. I also don't believe Basara becomes a different genre if I play with Ieyasu who uses no weapons than if I play with Mitsunari who uses swords.

If the primary mechanics are slash and based on slashing it's hack n; slash, this isn't even really a debate the genres actually EXIST as DIFFERENT genres. Plus it won't win the poll either way so pointless discussion.

VARIA

The TMNT series on NES/SNES/Genesis and Arcade has got to be some of the most memorable beat 'em ups for me.

Especially the arcade versions for its 4-player co-op.
ShCS5Zr.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

So Sengoku is a hack and slash and Basara is a beat em up when u play as ieyasu but hack and slash with other characters. Even if their weapons are blunt rather than edged.

Your poll doesn't include River City Ransom, so it is automatically invalid anyway.

Seriously, hack 'n slash is a DnD term that is mainly used for RPGs (though I've seen game journalists, those bastions of game knowledge that they are, use the term interchangeably with beat 'em up). Hack 'n slash is a subgenre, while beat 'em ups are a macro genre that include strategy games (like the Musou games), RPGs (like River City Ransom, Yakuza), sports games (Crash n' the Boyz, several other Kunio games), fighting games (Pit Fighter, Yie Air Kung Fu, Doctor Doom's Revenge), platform games (Bad Dudes, Viewtiful Joe), and of course, the side scrolling ones.

Some other beat 'em ups that use weapons include Knights of the Round, Guardian Heroes, Captain Commando and Golden Axe. POW had guns, and most of the side scrollers allow you to pick up temporary weapons.

cr0w

Old Member
Streets of Rage. I wasted countless afternoons on parts 2 and 3 as a kid. 2 mainly because it was a pack-in with the Genesis.

Your poll doesn't include River City Ransom, so it is automatically invalid anyway.

Seriously, hack 'n slash is a DnD term that is mainly used for RPGs (though I've seen game journalists, those bastions of game knowledge that they are, use the term interchangeably with beat 'em up). Hack 'n slash is a subgenre, while beat 'em ups are a macro genre that include strategy games (like the Musou games), RPGs .

Beat em' up has never historically been tagged to Mousou, but again i don't care, there's a "other" option in the poll so if you want to include them you can but when people are thinking of the best Beat em' ups those games are not among the ones that come to mind but feel free.

SirTerry-T

Non-appearance of Konami's X-Men arcade game makes this list null and void.
Other than that, the answer is S.O.R/Bare Knuckle

Alexios

Also my bad, I mentioned earlier Cadillacs & Dinosaurs having a character that primarily uses knives but that was actually Mack the Knife, a mummy-like alien dude in Captain Commando!

Akuza89

I voted for streets of rage.

it was a toss up between that and battletoads.... but streets of rage was a bit more lets say....forgiving to new players! so that made it perfect to just play with friends who hadn't played the game before... now try doing that with the original battletoads....jeez.

synchronicity

Gold Member
Gene has to come in here and bust some heads. Did everyone forget about me?!

51jGQ9ibSrL._AC_SX215_.jpg

Seriously, my all-time favorite in the genre and one of my absolute favorites irrespective of category.

Belmonte

I knew, just by seeing the title, we would have a discussion of what is a beat 'em up! Haha

Personally I think it makes little sense to create an entire new genre because the artist made a sword in the hands of the character. The gameplay pillars are the same. Even the attack range and start up frames are similar on most games.

That said, don't make me choose between Final Fight, Streets of Rage and Double Dragon! I can't, dude! (I really can't though. I think "Neo Members" can't vote anyway.)

Since my response wasn't helpful, I have a game recommendation: If you didn't play yet, go play Double Dragon Advance! It is a god tier beat 'em up, much, much better than it looks!

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
For me it is
Alien vs. Predator by Capcom - for gameplay mechanics, graphics, just pure fun, easy to pick up,
followed by:
Double Dragon - especially Return of DD/Super DD for gameplay mechanics, music,
Golden Axe - especially GAIII for gameplay mechanics, music, Conan the Barbarian (1982) film-esque aesthetics,
Streets of Rage - especially SoR3 for gameplay mechanics, music.
Those are the ones I like to go back to from time to time.

A contender if ever released:
Paprium

Shifty

Gonna throw my vote in with Streets of Rage. 2 was definitely the most fun I got out of old-school belt scroller beat 'em ups.

The fan remake is by far the best SoR game though. It implements all the stages and mechanics from 1-3 and lets you mix-match and tune them individually for a flawless beat 'em up experience.
It also has a shitload of characters and unlockable stuff for replay value. Really great stuff.

Honorable mention - Tekken Force
Ooh, that's a good one. They should go back to that...

Last edited:
Voted Double Dragon but wished there was Double Dragon and Final Fight combo option.

Final Fight on SegaCD was sublime. But DD at the arcade and on NES was god tier.

pramod

Banned
Dungeons and Dragons series. Shadows over Mystara especially is the pinnacle of 2d side scrolling beat em ups.

Nymphae

Banned
Ooh, that's a good one. They should go back to that...

They went with bowling instead. As DLC! Tekken 3 had Tekken Force and Tekken Ball for free! Tekken Ball was so damn fun. Tekken Force was a pretty jank ass brawler, but in a fighting game any extra mode goes a long way.

Does anyone remember that game Knights of the Round by capcom? Is that considered a beat-em-up? God my brother and I were addicted to that game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom