• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom VS PlatinumGames, who makes the best hack and slashes?

Who makes the better hack and slashes?

• Capcom

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • PlatinumGames

Votes: 57 50.4%

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Capcom's got some good stuff under their belt like DMC (which invented the genre), Monster Hunter (although i don't know if it truly counts), and Dragon's Dogma
Platinum works on more IPs but their stuff feels a bit more samey while Capcom's 3 main hack and slash games vary wildly. Dragon's Dogma is an open world hack and slash with lots of RPG elements, DMC is just pure action, and Monster Hunter is focused more on... monster hunting..? ( i don't play the games much)

However i feel the best of Platinum is much better than the best of Capcom. Nier Automata is a masterpiece from what ive played, bayonetta was so good it brought the genre to new heights of popularity, and MGR had a resurgence in popularity for a reason. I can't think of many Capcom hack and slashes that reach those heights besides the original DMC.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Capcom. The best third party of all time.
i can't deny that, i love them because they do a little bit of everything. Platformers, survival horror, shooter games, fighting games, hack and slash, they do all 5 of these genres and nail them every time. and out of every other third party they seem to actively hate their consumers the least.

Last edited:
Capcom. The best third party of all time.
3TaN.gif

That being said, the first Bayonetta is truly brilliant, a spectacular achievement of video game design. One of the best games ever made.

Fbh

Capcom seems more consistent with their quality (at least as of late) but overall I probably still enjoy Platinum games more.
I was quite disappointed with DMC5. The combat was nice but everything else about it felt really underwhelming.

GametimeUK

Strictly hack and slash? Platinum Games wins it for me. I think the quantity and quality just overwhelms the Capcom games that spring to my mind.

Labolas

Bayonetta is still the game for me. And I tend to favor PG's games in general. But DMC5 was good, but I didn't love it. DMC3 is still my favorite of the franchise. But companies deserve love.

Saber

Gold Member
I would say Team Ninja as well, but Ninja Gaiden Black is the only one I remotly like(and it's freaking awesome).

My vote goes for Platinum. Bayonetta has being pretty consistent through years.

dodge mechanics.
This is part of the genius of Bayonetta.

You have a dodge that allows for multiple skill levels:

- Dodge way too early, and you might even get hit by the enemy attack
- Dodge early, and you'll dodge the attack but get no reward
- Dodge on time, and you get Witch Time.
- Dodge at the last second, and you get Crow Within (Witch Time plus magic orbs)

And that's just for the dodge. The same design applies to parrying with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa accessory. (Which, when mastered, gives you even more rewards than dodging)

Labolas

This is part of the genius of Bayonetta.

You have a dodge that allows for multiple skill levels:

- Dodge way too early, and you might even get hit by the enemy attack
- Dodge early, and you'll dodge the attack but get no reward
- Dodge on time, and you get Witch Time.
- Dodge at the last second, and you get Crow Within (Witch Time plus magic orbs)

And that's just for the dodge. The same design applies to parrying with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa accessory. (Which, when mastered, gives you even more rewards than dodging)
Yup and it gives longer witch time as well.

Yup and it gives longer witch time as well.
Ah, that's right. I definitely remember that when you do a "perfect parry" with Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, it gives you a shit ton of extra Witch Time, but didn't remember if you also got extra Witch Time from Crow Within.

Thanks, man!

EDIT: part of my trouble remembering was because once I mastered the game, I mostly played with Jeanne and never looked back. And remember, Jeanne doesn't get Witch Time from regular dodges like Bayo does, she only gets Witch Time from perfect dodges (her version is called "Moth Within"), so I didn't remember if it gives extra time compared to a regular dodge Witch Time. Anyway, carrying on... 😂

Last edited:

Begleiter

It's difficult to compare because Platinum don't have the money or tech that Capcom teams work with. I'd say DMC5 has set a bar that Bayo 3 should aim to pass, though.

Woopah

I wouldn't call Monster Hunter or Dragons Dogma hack and slash, so the only recent game Capcom have in the category is DMC 5.

Labolas

Ah, that's right. I definitely remember that when you do a "perfect parry" with Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa, it gives you a shit ton of extra Witch Time, but didn't remember if you also got extra Witch Time from Crow Within.

Thanks, man!

EDIT: part of my trouble remembering was because once I mastered the game, I mostly played with Jeanne and never looked back. And remember, Jeanne doesn't get Witch Time from regular dodges like Bayo does, she only gets Witch Time from perfect dodges (her version is called "Moth Within"), so I didn't remember if it gives extra time compared to a regular dodge Witch Time. Anyway, carrying on... 😂
Jeanne is the git gud character for sure. It's super difficult to Pure Platinum with her in Hard Mode.

Shifty

No man should be forced to make such a choice...

6pbplx.jpg

Platinum have inarguably been more prolific with good melee combat games over the last decade or so, but they're also in kind of a weird spot right now where their recent output has included some real trash, and it's encumbent on Bayonetta 3 to kick all kinds of ass in order to drag their rep back up.

Meanwhile Capcom killed it with DMC5, but we're not likely to see another for a long ass time because they are - as ever - busy with Resi.

Both have something to offer, therefore:

6pbpkb.jpg

Aren't Soul-bourn games also hack and slash though...?
In the most literal sense, yes.

Luckily they aren't made by Capcom or Platinum, so despite the broad classification this discussion is rolling with, we should be able to avoid the inevitable arguments about whether RPG elements and game structure disqualify a given game from the genre.

Bayonetta had crap level design and looked like a PS2 game. That's the problem with PG though, is they have have no budget and their games look like ass.
Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

Bayonetta had crap level design and looked like a PS2 game. That's the problem with PG though, is they have have no budget and their games look like ass.
Forget about the looks (or even about the mostly throwaway "plot") -- how does the game actually play!?

EDIT: Actually I want to elaborate. I played it on PC and the game actually looked decent. Yes, there were a couple of levels (mostly the Jeanne boss fights) were the camera design did not help at all (so it's not so much that the level design itself is bad, is that the camera doesn't help, but again, it's only the Jeanne boss fight levels.)

But beyond these flaws, Bayonetta is a straight up masterpiece. Which I why I always use the term "flawed masterpiece" to describe the game, something I borrowed from a movie review I once read.

Jeanne is the git gud character for sure. It's super difficult to Pure Platinum with her in Hard Mode.
This is how much I loved the game (pictures are my own).

Bayo:

FhbQL0P.jpg

Jeanne:

IlfJvv4.jpg

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Forget about the looks (or even about the mostly throwaway "plot") -- how does the game actually play!?

EDIT: Actually I want to elaborate. I played it on PC and the game actually looked decent. Yes, there were a couple of levels (mostly the Jeanne boss fights) were the camera design did not help at all (so it's not so much that the level design itself is bad, is that the camera doesn't help, but again, it's only the Jeanne boss fight levels.)

But beyond these flaws, Bayonetta is a straight up masterpiece. Which I why I always use the term "flawed masterpiece" to describe the game, something I borrowed from a movie review I once read.

Bayo:

FhbQL0P.jpg

Jeanne:

IlfJvv4.jpg

Not the worst thing in the world. Haven't played it, but sounds like DMC 5 had crap level design too. Same for Kingdom Hearts III. Guess as long as the gameplay si good it's not that big of a deal.

Labolas

Bayo:

FhbQL0P.jpg

Jeanne:

IlfJvv4.jpg
Well Done Reaction GIF
Yeah, sweet. I have the same thing on my Switch, didn't finish Jeanne though. My original run on 360, I only had PP'd NSIC. Currently doing the same for PC.

BAYONETTA-8-8-2022-7-11-52-PM.png

ssringo

Hack n Slash is too wide a net really. Dragon's Dogma and Monster Hunter is a bit different than DMC.

Absolutely love both but Capcom > Platinum for pretty much everything except Bayonetta > DMC

Though to be fair, in retrospect, I really hate the camera of DMC until (ugh) DmC and 5. The need to reorient your controls on camera change drives me up the wall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom