• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom VS PlatinumGames, who makes the best hack and slashes?

Who makes the better hack and slashes?

• Capcom

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • PlatinumGames

Votes: 57 50.4%

• Total voters

Ezquimacore

Banned
PG, DMC is slow as fuck and Bayonetta has the best action combat since 2009. But you know what, y'all should support both and Team Ninja because the genre is dying without them.

Though to be fair, in retrospect, I really hate the camera of DMC until (ugh) DmC and 5. The need to reorient your controls on camera change drives me up the wall.
Don't know what it is about these games that can't get the camera right.

Bayonetta would've been an absolutely flawless, 10/10 game for me if it wasn't for the damn camera.

I love capcom games but the combat on their games was never as intuitive as Bayonetta 1&2 and Ninja gaiden 1,2 and 3. Even DMC by Kamiya.
I'll see for myself once I start playing all the Devil May Cry games. Got them all on the Steam summer sale.

But again... I only played Bayonetta 1 for the very first time ever this year. And it automatically entered into my top 10 favorite games of all time (a top 10 that is, funnily enough, absolutely dominated by Capcom games). It's that freaking good. I honestly haven't played a (non-fighting) game with better combat than Bayonetta 1.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'll see for myself once I start playing all the Devil May Cry games. Got them all on the Steam summer sale.

But again... I only played Bayonetta 1 for the very first time ever this year. And it automatically entered into my top 10 favorite games of all time. It's that freaking good. I honestly haven't played a (non-fighting) game with better combat than Bayonetta 1.
you should try Bayonetta 2 on Cemu, just buy a wii u copy. looks beautiful and the combat is even better.
Cemu-2022-07-01-21-04-11-953.png

Again, DMC is fantastic and definitely better than most action games, but when you compare the combat Bayonetta is just too fluid while DMC is heavier.

you should try Bayonetta 2 on Cemu, just buy a wii u copy. looks beautiful and the combat is even better.
Cemu-2022-07-01-21-04-11-953.png

Again, DMC is fantastic and definitely better than most action games, but when you compare the combat Bayonetta is just too fluid while DMC is heavier.
Yeah I was planning on pulling the trigger (ha!) on a Switch copy of Bayo 2 pretty soon.

I reacted to your post with a "Praise the Sun" reaction. But this is Bayo we're talking about, we need a "Praise the Moon" emoji instead 😂

On the one hand capcom is my fav dev and they are consistently awesome at all genres they dabble in.
On the other hand bayonetta might be the greatest game of all time.

Shifty

Oh, additional stipulation: I picked both, but I'll happily backstab one of them if the other releases a God Hand sequel or spiritual successor.

iu

So are we calling character action games "hack and slashes" now?

I'm not a terribly big fan of the genre but probably Platinum edges Capcom out? It depends how much you like DMC. I don't care for it personally.

But modern Platinum sucks. Nier Automata was bad as a character action game and they haven't really released anything better since then... maybe Bayonetta 3 will be good. It has to be because Platinum's credibility is dead otherwise.

I'll admit though, I've never played God Hand. I probably should lol

hemo memo

Gold Member
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

AAAAAAAAAAAA games!?
I’m excited for Capcom next AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
For hack & slash specifically I’d definitely pick Platinum out of the two. By a pretty wide margin.

Last edited:

cireza

Beat Them All, not Hack and Slash.

Answer is SEGA :
Streets of Rage
Golden Axe
Dynamite Deka
SEGA CD port of Final Fight
Guardian Heroes was published by SEGA
Bayonetta exists because of SEGA

Last edited:

blackjon24

Platinum! I'd take Astral Chain over anything Capcom has done that game really impressed me

Is this game really that good? Seems like reception of this game is all over the place

Holding off on it until there is a legal way to play it at 60fps

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I would say Capcom.
Platinum is more style over substance kind of gameplay, but it also works, however Capcom hits the mark way more often.

Gambit2483

Capcom has DMC....Platinum has Metal Gear Rising, Astral Chain, Nier, Bayo and Wonderful 101...yea, I'm going with Platinum.

Robb

Gold Member
Capcom has DMC....Platinum has Metal Gear Rising, Astral Chain, Nier, Bayo and Wonderful 101...yea, I'm going with Platinum.
Yeah, that was my reasoning as well. Does Capcom have any other hack and slash games besides DMC?

I’m honestly very surprised the vote is this close if the votes for Capcom are based on DMC alone.. Platinum just have so many fantastic hack and slash games under their belt.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Capcom. The best third party of all time.

Capcom has me by the balls. Between Street Fighter (and a ton of other fighting games), Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Mega Man, Ghosts 'n Goblins, tons of great Beat 'em Ups, they make so many of my favorite games it's crazy.

Gambit2483

Capcom has me by the balls. Between Street Fighter (and a ton of other fighting games), Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Mega Man, Ghosts 'n Goblins, tons of great Beat 'em Ups, they make so many of my favorite games it's crazy.
You do realize this thread is based purely on both companies hack n slash aka Character Action games...? Resident Evil, Ghost 'n Goblins and Mega Man are not a factor in this poll.

BossLackey

Gold Member
You do realize this thread is based purely on both companies hack n slash aka Character Action games...? Resident Evil, Ghost 'n Goblins and Mega Man are not a factor in this poll.

You do realize the post I quoted is talking about how Capcom is the best 3rd party developer?

chriskun

Id have to say Capcom overall, they just have the most. Even if we were to say Bayo 1 is the best(which it isnt) then thats only 1 game, and bayo 2 is far below bayo 1. Honestly the only reason why people hold bayo 1 in high regard is because Kamiya is involved with it. If hos name wasnt attached it would be an 8/10 game at best.

Capcom has a better catalog of games outside hack and slash than Platinum.. but Platinum make Hack and Slash games.. that is what they do... It should not even be a contest. Capcom made DMC... automatic fail.. lol joking..

I have always considered games like Diablo 3 as hack and slash. I feel like you are more likely talking about 3rd person action games. Hack & slash games typically have the more quasi-top-down style of camera and lots of enemies, most of whom are dispatched fairly quickly.

News outlets stopped differentiating between the two types at some point, but they really are different game types.

Like, Path of Exile is a hack and slash. Capcom and Platinum, to me, don’t really make that kind of game. I do see the argument though.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I have come back here to say that I have played DMC5 and uh
That was something.... platinum take notes!!! That game's combat system is so ridiculously indepth and it's one of the best looking video games I have ever seen. I can't wait to play it some more when I get home!!
I am heavily considering changing my vote just based off of that game alone, it's quickly becoming one of my favorites of all time

Last edited:
Top Bottom